Old 08-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Trump flavored kool-aid is strong, I see:

https://shareblue.com/gop-senator-ri...-it-recession/

Quote:
Scott was asked in a Monday interview on CNBC what his stance would be on the trade war "if it starts to push the U.S. economy into recession."

"I think we've got to keep going down this path," Scott said, describing the trade war as "the only chance" of getting China to open up its markets.
If I didn't know any better, it seems like a multimillionaire, acting as a proxy for the billionaire class, is trying to sell white America the idea that the upcoming recession isn't a matter of failed economic policy, but rather economic patriotism and we should all just grit our way through it. So there you have it, folks. Something to chew on as your retirement accounts plummet and future job prospects dry up. No matter how badly the Republicans fuck up the country, it's Chin's fault, Iran's fault, and most of all, your fault for not being smart enough to scam other Americans out of their money en route to becoming a millionaire. Tough shit, I guess.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
"I think we've got to keep going down this path," Scott said, describing the trade war as "the only chance" of getting China to open up its markets.
I'm too lazy to look it up, but how much was China importing (both from the US and in general) prior to the trade war? And is it going to open up enough to at least match the agricultural products that we are no longer selling there?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:30 AM

Having worked for Scottish Power during a period in which wind farms were going up, can I now call myself a freedom fighter? Or maybe a freedom mercenary: I was, after all, being paid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I'm too lazy to look it up, but how much was China importing (both from the US and in general) prior to the trade war? And is it going to open up enough to at least match the agricultural products that we are no longer selling there?
Many many many shiploads. Still are, but now they use sources other than the US for the stuff affected by the idiocy. The mayor of Barcelona is very, very popular in next-door L'Hospitalet because she's been doing a lot of stuff that's pushed business out of Barcelona and to LH: I understand that Trump is becoming similarly popular among soybean farmers in India for similar reasons. Note that in this case "popular" doesn't equal "beloved".

Last edited by Nava; 08-13-2019 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Hey, don't knock it, this is the first I've heard from anyone about what the trade war might actually be about. Trump goes on and on about how he'll get a great trade deal with China, but I don't recall him ever saying what he actually wants out of it. Does he want more access to the Chinese market, intellectual property protections, no currency manipulation, or something else?

Has anybody heard him say what he wants out of this trade war? My cynical side thinks that Trump hasn't said what he wants so that whatever deal is struck he can declare it a win. My sad, fatalist side is worried that Trump doesn't even know what kind of deal he wants from China.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
Hey, don't knock it, this is the first I've heard from anyone about what the trade war might actually be about. Trump goes on and on about how he'll get a great trade deal with China, but I don't recall him ever saying what he actually wants out of it. Does he want more access to the Chinese market, intellectual property protections, no currency manipulation, or something else?

Has anybody heard him say what he wants out of this trade war? My cynical side thinks that Trump hasn't said what he wants so that whatever deal is struck he can declare it a win. My sad, fatalist side is worried that Trump doesn't even know what kind of deal he wants from China.
From reading far more of Trump's words than anyone should over the past few years, I have concluded that all he wants from our trade relationships with other countries is a trade surplus. That's it. All he sees is the money we spend; it's as though the goods don't exist.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
He's said several times that he wants to end trade deficits. I don't know much about economics, but I know that if you're the richest country in the world, with the highest standard of living in the world, you're going to buy a lot of stuff, and usually more than other countries buy from you. It's a sign of prosperity. But Trump somehow sees it as losing, and he wants it to end. So he's working as hard as he can to end our prosperity.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My cynical side thinks that Trump hasn't said what he wants so that whatever deal is struck he can declare it a win. My sad, fatalist side is worried that Trump doesn't even know what kind of deal he wants from China.
It can be both.

Trump doesn't understand economics--per Woodward's book Fear, Trump suggested having the Treasury print up money to pay off the deficit. Remember, according to Trump, the Chinese are paying his tariffs to the Treasury. And, "Trade wars are easy to win".

Trump went into this not really knowing anything himself--although, I'm sure some China hardliners were telling Trump things he thought sounded tough--and he'll take anything he gets and declare it a win.

ETA seeing above posts: Yeah! Trade deficit bad! Surplus good! That's about it.

Last edited by dasmoocher; 08-13-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Trump flavored kool-aid is strong, I see:

https://shareblue.com/gop-senator-ri...-it-recession/
Gah. Any photo of Rick Scott larger than 640x480px should come with a trigger warning.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
ETA seeing above posts: Yeah! Trade deficit bad! Surplus good! That's about it.
I read somewhere, it may have been here, that in Trump's world-view we all have trade deficits with every retail outlet we shop at. My grocery store chain buys nothing from me! They're robbing me blind!
Old 08-13-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Trump's such a simpleton, one's gotta wonder how much of fucking over the environment is revenge for the Scottish windmills.
If irony ran the universe he would win his suit to have them removed and they would be replaced with a coal fueled plant right next door to his golf course. I'm sure he'd like that much better.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM

August 13, 2019
Ken Cuccinelli, the acting Citizenship and Immigration Services Director, says that the motto on the Statue of Liberty should be changed to "“Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."
https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/201...c-charge-trump
Old 08-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
August 13, 2019
Ken Cuccinelli, the acting Citizenship and Immigration Services Director, says that the motto on the Statue of Liberty should be changed to "“Give me your tired and your poor who can stand on their own two feet and who will not become a public charge."
Give me your hungry, your tired your poor I'll piss on 'em
that's what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses, let's club 'em to death
and get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard

Lou Reed - Dirty Boulevard
Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
When Trump finishes the magnificent wall that he promised to all of his fucking idiots, then he'll surely make with the fabulous coal mining jobs that he promised to his fucking idiots. First things first, he's not a miracle worker, you know.
It's the other way around. Build the wall out of coal! Anyone who tries to climb it will get all sooty.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:46 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't mind me View Post
It's the other way around. Build the wall out of coal! Anyone who tries to climb it will get all sooty.
The coal in the wall will not be burned, so it will not contribute to global warming. I think you have something there!
Old 08-13-2019, 06:48 PM

Trump was supposed to give a speech on energy. He went way off-script.

Maybe he has a brain tumor?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 08-13-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Best quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Oranganus
You guys, I don’t know what the hell you’re gonna do. You don’t want to make widgets, right? You don’t want to make — do you want to learn how to make a computer? A little tiny piece of stuff... You put it with those big beautiful hands of yours like… You’re gonna take these big hands, gonna take this little tiny part. You’re gonna go home, ‘Alice this is a tough job.’
That boy just ain't right.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Best quote:

That boy just ain't right.
Alice who? Alice Kramden, Ralph's wife??
Old 08-13-2019, 07:26 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Now Cuccinelli has a new spin on the Emma Lazarus poem:
Quote:
That statue of liberty poem was about "people coming from Europe"
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1...962918400?s=19

Last edited by Fear Itself; 08-13-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Totally unhinged. Jesus, he's talking to Shell Petrochemical about how they must like using their big hands to dig coal, and that they would never be able to build computers because the parts are too small.

Jesus Christ, he's such a moron. "The wind and the televisions go off. And your wives and husbands say ‘Darling, I want to watch Donald Trump on television tonight. But the wind stopped blowing and I can’t watch."

I wouldn't trust him to sweep my sidewalk. Not that he's ever done an hours worth of work in his entire life.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM

And as I called it, Warren will never be mentioned by him other than using Pocohontas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Fucker
"I did it very early with Pocahontas, I should have probably waited. She's staging a comeback on Sleepy Joe. I don't know who's gonna win, but we'll have to hit Pocahontas very hard again if she does win. But she’s staging a little bit of a comeback. What a group. Pocahontas and Sleepy Joe."
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Orange Fucker
"I did it very early with Pocahontas, I should have probably waited. She's staging a comeback on Sleepy Joe. I don't know who's gonna win, but we'll have to hit Pocahontas very hard again if she does win. But she’s staging a little bit of a comeback. What a group. Pocahontas and Sleepy Joe."
He can't remember their names. I'm not kidding at all. Most of us could use a screw tightened now and again, but he's an entire hardware store of lose screws. He's not just an idiot, a crook, a cheat and a liar, he has serious mental problems.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
He can't remember their names. I'm not kidding at all. Most of us could use a screw tightened now and again, but he's an entire hardware store of lose screws. He's not just an idiot, a crook, a cheat and a liar, he has serious mental problems.
Mental problems, indeed. I think that was part of the reason US banks stopped lending him money. Not just the bankruptcies. I'm waiting to hear about an emergency MRI from a doctor who's NOT paid off by Trump, telling us, "He has a massive tumor wrapped around his pre-frontal lobe, making logic impossible. It's so large it's been there for almost 20 years. Surprised no one ever noticed this..."
Old 08-13-2019, 08:13 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Mental problems, indeed. I think that was part of the reason US banks stopped lending him money. Not just the bankruptcies. I'm waiting to hear about an emergency MRI from a doctor who's NOT paid off by Trump, telling us, "He has a massive tumor wrapped around his pre-frontal lobe, making logic impossible. It's so large it's been there for almost 20 years. Surprised no one ever noticed this..."
They confused the tumor with his brain.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:25 PM

Hey, I agree with our president about something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUMP
I love cranes, I love trucks of all types. Even when I was a little boy at four years old, my mother would say, 'You love trucks.' I do, I always loved trucks, I still do. Nothing changes — sometimes you know you might become president, but nothing changes
Yup, you still act like a spoiled 4 year old.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
So what else is new?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:32 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

[QUOTE=Locrian;21804723]And as I called it, Warren will never be mentioned by him other than using Pocohontas:

Who uses "group" to refer to two people? "What a....what's the word? Pair? No, it can't be that. I'm not talking about fruit. A pear is a big beautiful fruit. And it's an American fruit. It's such a beautiful fruit that it'll keep the doctor away. I coined that term, you know, keep the doctor away. That's why you don't need Obamacare. Just eat more American fruit. And since China isn't importing American fruit anymore, you'll have plenty of them to buy and that will help our farmers. Speaking of fruits, look at those nuts (some people will say nuts aren't fruit, but they're wrong. They're not meat and they're not vegetables, so what are they?) in loser California wanting sanctuary cities. Let 'em have those sanctuary cities. Let's send our worst criminals there and they'll see what it's like."

The saddest thing is that hypothetical rambling is far more coherent than Tan the Conman has ever been in his entire life.

Last edited by Monty; 08-13-2019 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
...Let 'em have those sanctuary cities. Let's send our worst criminals there and they'll see what it's like..."
Yep, let's send the Trump family there. Along with most of his administration.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 PM

Screwed up the coding big-time. Here's what that post should've looked like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
And as I called it, Warren will never be mentioned by him other than using Pocohontas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Fucker

Who uses "group" to refer to two people? "What a....what's the word? Pair? No, it can't be that. I'm not talking about fruit. A pear is a big beautiful fruit. And it's an American fruit. It's such a beautiful fruit that it'll keep the doctor away. I coined that term, you know, keep the doctor away. That's why you don't need Obamacare. Just eat more American fruit. And since China isn't importing American fruit anymore, you'll have plenty of them to buy and that will help our farmers. Speaking of fruits, look at those nuts (some people will say nuts aren't fruit, but they're wrong. They're not meat and they're not vegetables, so what are they?) in loser California wanting sanctuary cities. Let 'em have those sanctuary cities. Let's send our worst criminals there and they'll see what it's like."

The saddest thing is that hypothetical rambling is far more coherent than Tan the Conman has ever been in his entire life.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
He's said several times that he wants to end trade deficits.
Okay, now how does he actually intend to put that in a quantifiable, enforceable trade agreement? For every dollar the U.S. spends in China, China has to spend a dollar here; on what, and what happens if there's nothing here that someone in China wants to buy?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"What a....what's the word? Pair? No, it can't be that. I'm not talking about fruit. A pear is a big beautiful fruit. And it's an American fruit. It's such a beautiful fruit that it'll keep the doctor away. I coined that term, you know, keep the doctor away. That's why you don't need Obamacare. Just eat more American fruit. And since China isn't importing American fruit anymore, you'll have plenty of them to buy and that will help our farmers. Speaking of fruits, look at those nuts (some people will say nuts aren't fruit, but they're wrong. They're not meat and they're not vegetables, so what are they?) in loser California wanting sanctuary cities. Let 'em have those sanctuary cities. Let's send our worst criminals there and they'll see what it's like."
Monty, keep this up, and you're going to give Smapti a run for his money.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
August 13, 2019
When they say only the affluent are entitled to be American citizens, they don't intend to apply that only to immigrants.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Jesus Christ, he's such a moron. "The wind and the televisions go off. And your wives and husbands say ‘Darling, I want to watch Donald Trump on television tonight. But the wind stopped blowing and I can’t watch."
Somehow, the prospect of being at home with his wife and not being able to watch television strikes me as one of the things Loser Donald fears most in life.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty as Tan the Conman View Post
Let 'em have those sanctuary cities. Let's send our worst criminals there and they'll see what it's like."
So, Tan himself and all those people he's been firing after discovering they were losers? I have a feeling most of California doesn't want 'em.

Last edited by Nava; 08-13-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
So, Tan himself and all those people he's been firing after discovering they were losers? I have a feeling most of California doesn't want 'em.
The 13th specifically mentions “… except as a punishment for crime …”, so a Blue state could accept them and then invoke that clause, saying that they shall be subject to involuntary servitude for the period to which they have been sentenced, with no relief, save for the void.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
Quote:

Monty, keep this up, and you're going to give Smapti a run for his money.

Spoons: One of my fellow teachers here says our students will read the prompt for an essay question and instead of processing the whole prompt, they will recognize (or think they recognize) one word, then go write what he calls a "stream of consciousness" pertaining to that word. Tan the Conman talks with what I call "domino words". He'll start with one word, then the second word fits the first word, and the third word fits the second word, and so on (up to what would be 56 words by typewriter speed test count). Words 1 and 2 mesh, 2 and 3 mesh, 3 and 4 mesh. The problem is words 1, 2, 3, 4...make no sense in the order he spews them. Heck, I dont' think any permutation of the words he spews would make sense. Except for his racist and other bigoted comments. Those he's gotten down pat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty as Tan the Conman View Post
Let 'em have those sanctuary cities. Let's send our worst criminals there and they'll see what it's like."

So, Tan himself and all those people he's been firing after discovering they were losers?

And thanks for going along with my favorite name for Witless in the White House.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
August 13, 2019
I want to give full credit to kaylasdad99 who fucking called this a year ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The New Colossus (v. 45)

Not like that massive woman facing East
With long green robes that reach down to her toes
(Too bad that she should have so many clothes;
You’d think she’d show a little thigh, at least)
But I digress - protect us from the beast,
The mule, the raping, thieving, killing horde,
Who, from his shit-hole country tries to board
Our great White ship that bears us to our feast.

Hold back the so-called “refugees” out there.
Send me your oligarchs, flush with success
Whose deals with me are always more than fair,
Who buy my real estate without much stress.
While Fox and Friends all praise me on the air,
We’ll show my base that they can do with less.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:44 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Somehow, the prospect of being at home with his wife and not being able to watch television strikes me as one of the things Loser Donald fears most in life.
Same as her.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
... and what happens if there's nothing here that someone in China wants to buy?
Both the NRA and the entire Republican party are up for sale at bargain-basement prices. I'm certain they can find someone to buy.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Might start a "upcoming recession" thread for this one, but want to park it here for now:

Yield on 2 year treasuries is higher than on 10yr treasuries for the first time since 2007. Look at linked chart and notice the correlation between this fact and recessionary periods.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/stat...180051457?s=19
Old 08-14-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Well, the pundits who actually know what they're talking about were predicting in March that 1Q 2019 would be the best economic news for a while.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 AM

Summary of Trump's supposedly non-political speech in Pennsylvania yesterday:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...paign=trending

An excerpt:

Quote:

Trump falsely says China "flatlined" for "100 years" until it was allowed in the WTO. It was one of the world's fastest-growing economies in the decades prior. Trump then falsely claims the US was just losing and losing at the WTO before him and now "they're giving us victories."

Trump, complaining of emoluments suits against him, says this presidency is costing him a "fortune" and mocks complaints about him renting hotel rooms to Saudis for "$500." He says, "What about the $5 billion that I'll lose?" (There's no evidence he's losing that.)

Mocking complaints about his business dealings as president, Trump complains that Obama's $60 million book deal isn't being investigated even though it's such a big amount. He says there's a double standard for him. These things are not at all alike.

Trump, miming computer manufacturing as if it's a dainty endeavor, mocks the suggestion that workers would want to learn to work in a computer plant and make a "little tiny piece of stuff." He says they wanna dig coal and manufacture steel.

Trump falsely says of China, "They don't have oil and gas."

Trump says, looking back at the media in the room, "That's a lot of people back there for like an 11 o'clock speech." It is 2:40 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Summary of Trump's supposedly non-political speech in Pennsylvania yesterday:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...paign=trending

An excerpt:
And Trump's Chumps believe every word of it.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
August 13, 2019
Or “Give me your tired (but not so tired that they can’t stand on their own two feet) and poor (again, not TOO poor; this Golden Door ain’t cheap).”

Kinda ruins the iambic pentameter required by the sonnet form, but sonnets and iambic pentameter are for librul egghead types, amirite?
Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 AM

On the lighter side of the trump news, some people in NYC want to rename the street that trump tower is on.

Guess who they want to name it after?
Old 08-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
On the lighter side of the trump news, some people in NYC want to rename the street that trump tower is on.

Quote:
As Newsweek noted, however, Rowin’s petition fails to meet one important requirement for street renaming in New York. City rules dictate that the person being honored should be deceased.
If that’s the case, let’s name it after the America-hating fuckstick. As fast as possible.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Just name it "Tubman blvd" and let the double-entendres settle down.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Just name it "Tubman blvd" and let the double-entendres settle down.
Quote:
If that’s the case, let’s name it after the America-hating fuckstick. As fast as possible.

Let's compromise and rename it "America Hating Tubman Blvd". "Fuckstick" has a nice NY attitude to it, but it just won't fly with the rest of the country.

"in today's top news story, disgraced former president trump jumped from his gold-plated penthouse apartment and landed in the middle of Fuckstick Blvd...."
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:

McCain?

It would work -- he's deceased (sadly)
Old 08-14-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Might start a "upcoming recession" thread for this one, but want to park it here for now:

Yield on 2 year treasuries is higher than on 10yr treasuries for the first time since 2007. Look at linked chart and notice the correlation between this fact and recessionary periods.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/stat...180051457?s=19
https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...mry-story.html

The Dow is heading in the proper direction to break 25,000 again! Trump reportedly "Jubilant!"
Old 08-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
As Newsweek noted, however, Rowin’s petition fails to meet one important requirement for street renaming in New York. City rules dictate that the person being honored should be deceased.
The fix is easy; Simply name it Barack Hussein Obama Senior Avenue