Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #34951  
Old 07-26-2019, 06:03 PM
jsc1953 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Wasn't that always the case with Trump? Hasn't "perception is reality" been his business and personal policy since the early 1980s at least?
Oh, definitely. His response is ridiculous but not surprising.

If he had any political authority in other times & other places, I'm sure he would *literally* shoot the messenger whenever he got any bad news.
  #34952  
Old 07-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 59,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
The system shows little to none; why show the system any decency?
I think by definition, I have to fall back on "human decency" again.
__________________
Don't worry about the end of Inception. We have top men working on it right now. Top. Men.
  #34953  
Old 07-26-2019, 07:53 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Er, I think the point was that if the goal is just to kick the side of the box to make it start working, you don't have to choose a racist pussy-grabber to do your kicking for you, unless of course you think that racist pussy-grabbing is super-cool.
For the people I'm talking about; that is an unfortunate thing, but not at all germaine to their goals. And their goals have nothing to do with kicking the system to work better. By the time people are saying "fuck this" they aren't interested in that system any longer. People who voted for Trump do not want this system to continue. At all. They are done with it, because it has shown itself (they believe) to not work at all. So fuck it: vote for Trump. You don't throw a monkey wrench in the gears to make it work better, or indeed to work at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
(And that's just superficial decency; to me there are decency issues with putting the highest seat in the land in the hands of a senile incompetent. Or a republican.)
There is little decent about a system that allows the wealthy to steal from the poor and from the future like happened with the last round of tax cuts. Health care. Immigration. Police brutality. Decades of stagnant wages. Wealth accumulation. The repeal or ignoring of anti-trust regulations and why they existed. There are a whole shitload of reasons that people feel the way they do, and especially when taken as a whole fabric rather than tiny threads, a lot of them are absolutely done with the current system. It doesn't work. They don't want to fix it; they want to build a new system.

ETA: And that isn't even pointing out all the ways that the super-wealthy are done with this system.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.
  #34954  
Old 07-26-2019, 08:50 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Trump is angry at Obama for screwing up the White House air conditioning:
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/st...160397312?s=19
Until this very moment I had never known that Obama was an A/C tech. Truly a Renaissance Man.
  #34955  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:11 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Until this very moment I had never known that Obama was an A/C tech. Truly a Renaissance Man.
Little known fact: while getting his JD, Obama picked up a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
  #34956  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:28 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Wiki.

I'll bet you'll say three is an acceptable error rate.
If those three were innocent, and I'm not convinced of that, then that would mean that we need to do a better job of providing adequate counsel and evidentiary standards of guilt, not that we should never ever execute anyone ever again even if they shot a man on 5th Avenue in broad daylight.
  #34957  
Old 07-26-2019, 09:41 PM
jasg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 6,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Trump is angry at Obama for screwing up the White House air conditioning:

Quote:
Trump, speaking to reporters in the Oval Office, blames Obama for -- of all things -- messing up the White House air conditioning system. Says, thanks to Obama, "it's freezing or hot in here. "
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/st...160397312?s=19
Yet another example of Trump's failing mind shown in this October 2017 report...

Quote:
The White House's extensive renovation took place while Trump spent 17 days at his Bedminster golf club in August and was conducted by a team of more than 200 workers. Updates included replacing the 27-year-old heating and cooling system, refreshing the paint and carpets throughout offices, and meeting rooms and hanging Trump-approved wallpaper in the Oval Office.

  #34958  
Old 07-26-2019, 10:57 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Yet another example of Trump's failing mind shown in this October 2017 report...
Yet, it goes beyond him. Remember the old lighting fiasco of '17, when it took months for his team to figure out how to turn on the lights in the West Wing office complex? The aggregate intellect of the people around him seems to work out to slightly less than two horny banana slugs.
  #34959  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:16 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
He's having hot and cold flashes?

Time to call in the doctor.

Menopause, right ?
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #34960  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 AM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Menopause, right ?
God, that is so sexist!

Say 'personopause'.
  #34961  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:36 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
This is a dangerous road for Rudy to travel.

If he publicly proclaims that he’s broke, where does he think the NEXT 50-years-younger girlfriend is going to come from? Some alternate universe where he’s considered either attractive, charming, or sane?
Immigrant needing papers, of course.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #34962  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:38 AM
Nava is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by yendis View Post
The third world banana republic shit-hole will have affordable healthcare
*applause*
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #34963  
Old 07-27-2019, 01:33 AM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
And it fairly disposes with those who no longer deserve to live.

"No longer deserve to live". Quaint idea there. Again, the state can protect the populace it serves without resorting to killing.

Quote:
You assume wrongly. The process we have in place today does a thorough job of ensuring that the convicted is truly guilty, the trial and sentencing process was fair, and the sentence is just. It works well - that's why we haven't had a wrongful execution in 50+ years, and I do not support weakening it.

You are sorely mistaken.

Quote:
By that logic, absolute pacifism, even in the face of invasion, civil war, or NBC attack, would have to be our defense policy.

Nope. But there are places where they actually have that idea.

Quote:
Fortunately, in our system of government, the president does not have the power to have people executed by decree.

Yeah, but the jackass who is currently president does not understand what the constitution says and does not say. He, quite recently, crowed that the very constitution which actually limits his power gives him unlimited power.
  #34964  
Old 07-27-2019, 02:31 AM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
"No longer deserve to live". Quaint idea there. Again, the state can protect the populace it serves without resorting to killing.
The death penalty has nothing to do with protecting anyone and everything to do with punishing the guilty.

Quote:
Yeah, but the jackass who is currently president does not understand what the constitution says and does not say. He, quite recently, crowed that the very constitution which actually limits his power gives him unlimited power.
He can think he's a God-King all he wants, but if he calls into Fox & Friends tomorrow and declares that he's ordering Crooked Hillary to be broken on the wheel, she's not going to have to worry about finding a country that won't extradite her.

Last edited by Smapti; 07-27-2019 at 02:35 AM.
  #34965  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The death penalty has nothing to do with protecting anyone and everything to do with punishing the guilty.
Once you croak someone, he ceases to exist. No punishment!
  #34966  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Little known fact: while getting his JD, Obama picked up a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Late at night, President Obama could be glimpsing wandering around the White House in overalls and tool belt, tweaking things. Replacing lightbulbs, putting new washers into faucets, slipping matchbooks under tippy tables, straightening pictures.
__________________
Uke
  #34967  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:56 AM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Once you croak someone, he ceases to exist. No punishment!
Crap. There I go continuing a hijack.
  #34968  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:36 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
God, that is so sexist!

Say 'personopause'.
You consider Donny Two-scoops a person? ...Huh.
  #34969  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:45 AM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
You consider Donny Two-scoops a person? ...Huh.
It's person-ish... sort of.
  #34970  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Lurking Quahog is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
Trump is angry at Obama for screwing up the White House air conditioning:
https://twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/st...160397312?s=19
I have this wonderful image of Obama using a Nest thermostat app on his phone to constantly turn the heat up and down in the White House to mess with Individual 1.
  #34971  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:32 AM
enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking Quahog View Post
I have this wonderful image of Obama using a Nest thermostat app on his phone to constantly turn the heat up and down in the White House to mess with Individual 1.
Excellent.

Someone needs to glue a quarter to the floor in his bathroom. We'd never hear from him again.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #34972  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:00 AM
Happy Lendervedder's Avatar
Happy Lendervedder is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking Quahog View Post
I have this wonderful image of Obama using a Nest thermostat app on his phone to constantly turn the heat up and down in the White House to mess with Individual 1.
That would be a thing of beauty. So petty, so perfect.
  #34973  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:04 AM
Kobal2's Avatar
Kobal2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 18,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
God, that is so sexist!

Say 'personopause'.

*offended voice* Did you just assume Donald's personhood ?!
__________________
--- ---
Assume I'm right and you're wrong - we'll both save a lot of time.
  #34974  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:21 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
The death penalty has nothing to do with protecting anyone and everything to do with punishing the guilty.



He can think he's a God-King all he wants, but if he calls into Fox & Friends tomorrow and declares that he's ordering Crooked Hillary to be broken on the wheel, she's not going to have to worry about finding a country that won't extradite her.
She’d have to rely on the protection of OTHER COUNTRIES for her personal safety? What happens to Joe Schmoe, who doesn’t have the resources to GET to another country, and happens to point out that 45 is an America-hating fuckstick to, say, Stephen Miller?
  #34975  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:55 AM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,213
“Trump Does Not Care for Those Negroes, Part CDLXXIV”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b0c31569eb6234

Today’s candidate: Elijah Cummings!
__________________
Uke

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 07-27-2019 at 11:56 AM.
  #34976  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:05 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
God, that is so sexist!

Say 'personopause'.
Channel Archie Bunker: "mentalpause". Ongoing, with possible scarce interruptions (though none have been definitively identified).
  #34977  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:12 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 16,371
he found (Japanese First Lady Akie) Abe to be a "terrific woman," but noted the fact that she "doesn't speak English" made it "hard" to sit next to her at the dinner …
.

She explained that if Americans can pretend to comprehend him, I can feign ignorance of the opposite sort.
  #34978  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:32 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is offline
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking Quahog View Post
I have this wonderful image of Obama using a Nest thermostat app on his phone to constantly turn the heat up and down in the White House to mess with Individual 1.
You win the thread this portion of the thread.
  #34979  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,007
Median household income of Elijah Cumming's MD-07 district: $58,128. Median household income of Jim Jordan's OH-04 district: $54,480.
Mean household income of MD-07: $85,534. Mean household income of OH-04: $62,835
  #34980  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:44 PM
elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 59,993
I would think that a happy median, or at least modestly content.
__________________
Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice, love above all.
  #34981  
Old 07-27-2019, 12:46 PM
Defensive Indifference is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurking Quahog View Post
I have this wonderful image of Obama using a Nest thermostat app on his phone to constantly turn the heat up and down in the White House to mess with Individual 1.
I love this

Remember when Clinton staff were alleged to have done all kinds of vandalism on the way out of the White House in 2001? I recall claims that they'd pulled the Ws from computer keyboards and IIRC, more serious damage. I think they were also alleged to have left lots of porn on the computers. Man, you just can't trust those Democrats in the White House.
  #34982  
Old 07-27-2019, 01:29 PM
digs's Avatar
digs is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: West of Wauwatosa
Posts: 9,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
I love this

Remember when Clinton staff were alleged to have done all kinds of vandalism on the way out of the White House in 2001? I recall claims that they'd pulled the Ws from computer keyboards and IIRC, more serious damage. I think they were also alleged to have left lots of porn on the computers. Man, you just can't trust those Democrats in the White House.
T O S S T R U M P
in Two - K - Twenty

Just so we can see
what vandalism he'll leave
for the Castro Administration!
  #34983  
Old 07-27-2019, 04:24 PM
Smapti is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 16,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
She’d have to rely on the protection of OTHER COUNTRIES for her personal safety? What happens to Joe Schmoe, who doesn’t have the resources to GET to another country, and happens to point out that 45 is an America-hating fuckstick to, say, Stephen Miller?
Nothing, because hurting Loser Donald's feelings isn't and never will be a capital offense.
  #34984  
Old 07-27-2019, 05:27 PM
don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Nothing, because hurting Loser Donald's feelings isn't and never will be a capital offense.
At least until he unleashes The Infantroopen.
  #34985  
Old 07-27-2019, 05:56 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
“Trump Does Not Care for Those Negroes, Part CDLXXIV”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donal...b0c31569eb6234

Today’s candidate: Elijah Cummings!
Obviously, Trump is racist. But between racism or the fact that Cummings is one of the people investigating him for criminal and corrupt activity, I would vote that the main portion of animosity comes from the latter.
  #34986  
Old 07-27-2019, 06:23 PM
Zakalwe's Avatar
Zakalwe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 4,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Obviously, Trump is racist. But between racism or the fact that Cummings is one of the people investigating him for criminal and corrupt activity, I would vote that the main portion of animosity comes from the latter.
Yes, but the specific insult (your district is a festering shit-hole) is racist. Trump is probably thinking that only a crime-ridden, welfare-dependent ghetto would elect a black congressman.
  #34987  
Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Ukulele Ike is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 17,213
Is Trump appointing ANYONE now who’s not accused of sexual abuse? I mean, what are the odds?

https://theslot.jezebel.com/trumps-n...ual-1836759621
__________________
Uke
  #34988  
Old 07-27-2019, 07:56 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Is Trump appointing ANYONE now who’s not accused of sexual abuse? I mean, what are the odds?

https://theslot.jezebel.com/trumps-n...ual-1836759621
Only the best people!
__________________
"If we're not supposed to dance, why all this music?" Gregory Orr
  #34989  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:22 PM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is online now
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Obviously, Trump is racist. But between racism or the fact that Cummings is one of the people investigating him for criminal and corrupt activity, I would vote that the main portion of animosity comes from the latter.
So you feel it should have less impact or consideration because it's not primarily racist?

ETA: I mean, exactly what point are you trying to make by pointing out this, your belief?

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 07-27-2019 at 08:25 PM.
  #34990  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:28 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Obviously, Trump is racist. But between racism or the fact that Cummings is one of the people investigating him for criminal and corrupt activity, I would vote that the main portion of animosity comes from the latter.
Trump has used the word "infested' (or variants) on Twitter only in referencing African American communities, or other groups dominated by people of color, like immigrants.

The trigger very well may be the one. But the expression is definitely the other, and that is how he chose to express his frustration.
  #34991  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:35 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Obviously, Trump is racist. But between racism or the fact that Cummings is one of the people investigating him for criminal and corrupt activity, I would vote that the main portion of animosity comes from the latter.
The Baltimore Sun isn't confused:

https://www.baltimoresun.com/opinion...ada-story.html

Quote:
It’s not hard to see what’s going on here. The congressman has been a thorn in this president’s side, and Mr. Trump sees attacking African American members of Congress as good politics, as it both warms the cockles of the white supremacists who love him and causes so many of the thoughtful people who don’t to scream. President Trump bad-mouthed Baltimore in order to make a point that the border camps are “clean, efficient & well run," which, of course, they are not — unless you are fine with all the overcrowding, squalor, cages and deprivation to be found in what the Department of Homeland Security’s own inspector-general recently called “a ticking time bomb."

...

No, he was returning to an old standby of attacking an African American lawmaker from a majority black district on the most emotional and bigoted of arguments. It was only surprising that there wasn’t room for a few classic phrases like “you people” or “welfare queens” or “crime-ridden ghettos” or a suggestion that the congressman “go back” to where he came from.

...

the fact that “Fox & Friends” had recently aired a segment critical of the city, slamming Baltimore must have been irresistible in a Pavlovian way. Fox News rang the bell, the president salivated and his thumbs moved across his cell phone into action.
No doubt about it.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-27-2019 at 08:35 PM.
  #34992  
Old 07-27-2019, 08:53 PM
Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 24,689
They claim that California is a wasteland of high taxes and crime and no one wants to live there. Ignoring that nearly 40 million people live there and, on its own, it would be the fifth largest economy in the world, edging out fucking India, a nation of 1.2 billion people.

They scream about the homelessness in the Blue States, ignoring the fact that it is the hostility of their laws, law enforcement and refusal to care for people that drives people without homes to states that aren't complete fucking douchebags to the poor.

They claim they're self-sufficient and take care of themselves, while their states rely on money from the Federal Government to survive (and it is paid for by those horridly unlivable blue states, which pay more in taxes than they receive back from the Feds).

They scream about crime and criminals, while having the highest rates of incarceration in the entire world.

They tell people to "get a job" when there are no jobs available and/or the jobs that are available won't pay anyone's rent.

They cry about how the minimum wage will bankrupt companies and put people out of business while not caring that people can't live on those wages. Then they claim that no one lives on those wages except kids going to school, ignoring the fact that the vast majority of people working those jobs are adults trying to make it in this world.

They support and watch media that is shown to be over 60% outright lies and misinformation, but they think we on the left are insane and out of touch. (Of course we appear that way to people with such a deliberately distorted view of reality.)

They're racist fucks who get upset if you dare to tell them that they're racist fucks.

They threaten violence against liberals and democrats regularly, yet they claim that we're the violent ones. (For the record: In 2018 alone, 50 people were killed by right wing extremists. ZERO killed by left wing extremists.)

They lay claim to the term Deplorable, meant to signify horrible racist assholes, then get insulted that you call them Deplorables or "horrible racist assholes". Hey, if you're going to claim a term like that and declare your pride in being a horrible racist asshole, then why are you whining when we call you what YOU YOURSELF accepted and called yourself?)

They're the biggest, most entitled, whiny little fucks on the planet.

Yet they think they're the most intelligent, naturally best people in the world.

Last edited by Chimera; 07-27-2019 at 08:53 PM.
  #34993  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:06 PM
asahi's Avatar
asahi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: On your computer screen
Posts: 10,574
Trump and his campaign are deliberately polarizing the electorate because they want to incite reactions, and they want these reactions on the left to make blue collar and centrist Whites feel either alienated and/or threatened. Beyond that, there is a long, long, long - like way long - history in this country of plutocrats using ethnic tension to drive wedges between minorities and working class whites, with violence usually being the end result.

People who believe that because we elected Obama that we somehow moved into a post-racial America in which we can't have these kinds of mass racial tensions are dangerously naive and wrong.
  #34994  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:09 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
Yes, but the specific insult (your district is a festering shit-hole) is racist. Trump is probably thinking that only a crime-ridden, welfare-dependent ghetto would elect a black congressman.
Fair. I understand the racism angle, then.
  #34995  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
So you feel it should have less impact or consideration because it's not primarily racist?

ETA: I mean, exactly what point are you trying to make by pointing out this, your belief?
I was probably wrong but I pointed it out because this is a forum for truth.

If you were to accuse Charles Manson of murdering JFK, I'd defend him against the accusation for the simple reason that it's a false accusation. It's not any indication of love for Manson.

Again, I was probably wrong. As said, I'm simply explaining why I commented; the accusation seemed to be wrong for the particular instance. Based on the information provided, I see that I was missing some details in the specific word choice.
  #34996  
Old 07-27-2019, 09:28 PM
Muffin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Great White North
Posts: 20,571
Despite Trump redecorating the White House dining room, it is still such a republican rat infested mess that many good people decline to eat there.

So what does the big racist rat do? He calls neighbouring Baltimore a rat infested mess.
__________________
Hour after hour, day after day, we paddled and sang and slept under the hot sun on the northern ocean, wanting never to return.

Last edited by Muffin; 07-27-2019 at 09:29 PM.
  #34997  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:29 PM
Rick Kitchen's Avatar
Rick Kitchen is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Citrus Heights, CA, USA
Posts: 17,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Is Trump appointing ANYONE now who’s not accused of sexual abuse? I mean, what are the odds?

https://theslot.jezebel.com/trumps-n...ual-1836759621
Well, there's the spokeswoman for Treasury who contended that Obama was a Muslim and couldn't be loyal to the United States if he was loyal to Islam.
  #34998  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:42 PM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 61,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
They claim that California is a wasteland of high taxes and crime and no one wants to live there....
Nice rant. Sharing.
  #34999  
Old 07-27-2019, 10:46 PM
Sage Rat's Avatar
Sage Rat is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 21,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Is Trump appointing ANYONE now who’s not accused of sexual abuse? I mean, what are the odds?

https://theslot.jezebel.com/trumps-n...ual-1836759621
So far as I have been able to determine, about half of the people who Trump worked with on his various building plans over the years are either felons or have been credibly accused of committing felonies. (It's very tedious to research, but I'm slowly building a list.)

It's safe to say that he has an eye for a certain type of person. The odds were pretty good.
  #35000  
Old 07-27-2019, 11:48 PM
Grrr!'s Avatar
Grrr! is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 16,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
So you feel it should have less impact or consideration because it's not primarily racist?

ETA: I mean, exactly what point are you trying to make by pointing out this, your belief?
I've got a problem with it because this plays into the mindset that Democrats think everything is racist.

We were right to say "Go back to where you came from" is racist. But I'm not so sure about this.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017