Old 08-08-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Good onya, k9bfriender.

The ones I've joined usually have decent attendance, at least 100 but more often 250 - 600 people. I try to pull together a few friends but have gone on my own as often as not. People are busy, or they work hours that make attendance difficult.

The one for Robert Mueller was well attended, as were the ones around family separation at the border.

I like them, too, though my work schedule hasn't allowed me to attend all.

The only thing that makes me sad is ours are mostly populated by we old fogies who have participated in protest marches in our distant pasts. Very few young people come out.
Huh, that's the opposite of around here. Here we have a geriatric and aging population of hard right republicans, with a younger generation that is promoting progressive causes. To be fair, most of them end up being organized on the backs of drug legalization, or at least, that's where the groups usually end up coalescing, then they get the bright idea to go and assemble in support of other things.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
This probably serves the dual purpose of deflection from the smallness of his response to the mass shootings and a dig at Obama whose Senate seat Blagojevich apparently sold.
Call me old-fashioned, but I think it's plain old pardon-dangling to any of his cronies. "Do whatever. I have no compunctions about pardoning you."

Kushner supposedly thinks it'll win favor from Dems, showing how incredibly unqualified he is for his role.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
Kushner supposedly thinks it'll win favor from Dems, showing how incredibly unqualified he is for his role.
Really? That guy is still saying things? I thought somebody put him in a hall closet, locked the door and told everyone he was in the middle east negotiating peace.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 AM

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...gence-n1040616

Career CIA official leaves after being passed over for promotion. She probably knows that this president doesn't care about foreign intelligence, but is instead more interested in collecting dirty on his enemies.

Never in the post-WWII era has America's intelligence gathering apparatus been in such great danger of disintegrating and at risk of being penetrated by foreign powers.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 AM

I'm wondering: given that Ttump seems to think that the world is all about the ratings, does he think "acting jobs" pay scale?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
I'm wondering: given that Ttump seems to think that the world is all about the ratings, does he think "acting jobs" pay scale?
He doesn't pay for anything so he probably doesn't think [s] "acting jobs" pay scale[/s] or actually think beyond the last shiny soundbite or whomever talked to him last.

(what!! no strikethrough BBcode? uggh) (Maybe I should post more to see what else I have not used in years but isn't on this board.)
Old 08-09-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymage View Post
(what!! no strikethrough BBcode? uggh)
There is. It's del, not s (or strike). See?.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
There is. It's del, not s (or strike). See?.
Ahh! I checked on the FAQ and didn't (really) see it. Del I thought meant delete... not intuitive. I should have clicked it after scanning the list.

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Individual 1 couldn't get any of the shooting victims to talk to him at the El Paso hospital, so he got the uncle of the baby whose parents were killed to bring him to the hospital so he and Melania could pose with him, with individual 1 grinning like the buffoon he is and giving the thumbs up while taking a photo of an orphaned baby.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...a9049086.html?
Old 08-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Individual 1 couldn't get any of the shooting victims to talk to him at the El Paso hospital, so he got the uncle of the baby whose parents were killed to bring him to the hospital so he and Melania could pose with him, with individual 1 grinning like the buffoon he is and giving the thumbs up while taking a photo of an orphaned baby.
This makes me sick.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:09 PM

Aug. 9, 2019
ICE says they had no responsibility to let Child Protective Services that they were about to orphan hundreds of children when they arrested over 600 immigrants. "We are not a social services agency." Individual 1 said, "you can’t let anybody know, otherwise when you get there, nobody will be there."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...sippi-n1040776
Old 08-09-2019, 01:13 PM

Congratulations USA!

Amnesty International has issued a travel advisory for anyone considering travelling to your fair land:

Quote:
“People in the United States cannot reasonably expect to be free from harm – a guarantee of not being shot is impossible,” said Coverson, in a statement Wednesday.

“Once again, it is chillingly clear that the U.S. government is unwilling to ensure protection against gun violence.”
Old 08-09-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Congratulations USA!

Amnesty International has issued a travel advisory for anyone considering travelling to your fair land:
Sick of winning yet? Or just sick.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Sick of winning yet? Or just sick.
You just know this will be somehow Obama and/or Hilary's fault.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Meme

Actincg ICE Director Thomas Homan told Tucker Carlson he objects to being compared to Nazis because ICE is 'simply following orders.'
Old 08-09-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Aug. 9, 2019
ICE says they had no responsibility to let Child Protective Services that they were about to orphan hundreds of children when they arrested over 600 immigrants. "We are not a social services agency." Individual 1 said, "you can’t let anybody know, otherwise when you get there, nobody will be there."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...sippi-n1040776
Quote:
....The Mississippi raids swept up almost 700 workers from six plants. Of those detained, 342 were from the Koch Foods and PH Foods facilities in Morton, Miss., 252 from PECO plants in Canton, Bay Springs and Sebastopol, and 86 from Pearl River Foods in Carthage. There were no arrests at a seventh plant because no workers were present....
From cited source, above. Emphasis added in morbid curiosity. Que es el fucko?
Old 08-09-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Meme

Actincg ICE Director Thomas Homan told Tucker Carlson he objects to being compared to Nazis because ICE is 'simply following orders.'
Only the best people. Wait until Trump defends ICE by saying the same thing.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Meme

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Only the best people. Wait until Trump defends ICE by saying the same thing.
Did you guys notice this is from an interview Homan sat with Wolf Blitzer about 14 months ago? Homan 'retired' to Fox News in June of last year. (Although I'm sure he's sticking with that good old Nuremberg defense.)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Everything is about him, you know!

I guess the baby is supposed to be impressed when he gets older and looks at the picture. *gag* Obviously this picture way more than makes up for the loss of the baby's parents!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:21 PM

AUG 08, 2019
Quote:
The arrests targeted chicken processing plants operated by Koch Foods, one of the largest poultry producers in the U.S. Last year, Koch Foods paid out $3.75 million to settle an Equal Employment Opportunities Commission class-action suit charging the company with sexual harassment, national origin and race discrimination, and retaliation against Latino workers at one of its Mississippi plants. Labor activists say it’s the latest raid to target factories where immigrant workers have organized unions, fought back against discrimination or challenged unsafe and unsanitary conditions.
https://www.democracynow.org/2019/8/...nation_lawsuit
Old 08-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Here's another turd from this "administration" that will hurt us for years to come.Trump Administration Moves to Limit State Powers to Block Pipelines and Terminals (Reuters)

Quote:
The Trump administration on Friday unveiled a proposal that would curb state powers to block pipelines and other energy projects, part of the Trump administration’s effort to boost domestic oil, gas and coal development.
I and many others fought tooth and nail to stop filthy coal trains running through our county to export coal from Montana to Asia, and we were successful.

Here we fucking go again.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:12 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Wow. I wonder (no, I don't) why it was chicken processing plants instead of places that help produce hamberders.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Here's another turd from this "administration" that will hurt us for years to come.Trump Administration Moves to Limit State Powers to Block Pipelines and Terminals (Reuters)
B.b.bbbut State's rights ?!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:35 PM

There is a remake of The Most Dangerous Game due to come out soon, except, in this one, the prey are a dozen MAGAts, and the hunters are, of course, Liberals. (Note that, in the original, the prey was the protagonist and the hunter was the villain.)

Ads for the movie have been pulled because of the recent shootings that have apparently been politically motivated.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:

I and many others fought tooth and nail to stop filthy coal trains running through our county to export coal from Montana to Asia, and we were successful.

Here we fucking go again.
And when states like us in CA aren't pleasing the Cheeto, he can just shut off the water/power. Probably what he's thinking.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
B.b.bbbut State's rights ?!
State's rights are only important to the right wing when the "rights" in question are the right to enslave other humans, or something something guns.

State's rights are flexible. Just like their morals.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:47 PM

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...eup-sue-gordon

Quote:
Indeed, Trump reportedly floated eliminating the office altogether, viewing it as an “unnecessary bureaucratic layer.” When advisers told him this was impossible, he apparently expressed his desire to “downsize” the office instead—a goal he now seems to be accomplishing in real time.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:35 PM

This post on Facebook left me shaking my head.

Some Trumpsters were complaining about the press Trump was getting for his Dayton and El Paso visits--MSM treating poor Trump so unfairly, yada, yada, yada...

One posts [paraphrasing] "Why are they focusing so much on those shootings? More people get killed all the time in Chicago. The MSM never mentions that. Not even Fox News. Tucker, Hannity, and Ingraham are the only ones that are doing any reporting about it. Can't trust anybody else these days."

You can't make this shit up.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:50 AM

According to The Mooch, DJT is feeling smug about how things are going for him:
Quote:
...former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci spoke to The Associated Press ahead of Trump's upcoming 10-day trip [to his New Jersey golf club] and said that the president, believe it or not, "doesn't think he is facing any challenges" at the moment.

"His attitude is, 'The economy is doing great, I am putting the hammer down on China, the rest is just noise,'" Scaramucci said. "The media is against him, his supporters are for him and the Democrats don’t seem like a threat. He's going on vacation feeling smug."
"The rest is just noise."

I'm not a biologist, but I believe there are one-celled organisms capable of more complex internal processes than Donald.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Perhaps we should just be thankful that he didn't retweet this to mark the occasion.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Meme

The irony, it burns. Did Carlson even blink or should we get him an armband, too.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:26 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Meme

I'd like to find a link to that. Was it "We were only following orders, we're not nazis" or "Just because we followed orders, we should not be considered nazis."?
Old 08-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
On PBS NewsHour last night, in response to this photo: David Brooks of the NY Times (who is their conservative voice, by the way) called the President of the United States a sociopath. And nobody even batted an eye.

This is how low we've sunk.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...gence-n1040616

Career CIA official leaves after being passed over for promotion. She probably knows that this president doesn't care about foreign intelligence, but is instead more interested in collecting dirty on his enemies.

Never in the post-WWII era has America's intelligence gathering apparatus been in such great danger of disintegrating and at risk of being penetrated by foreign powers.
Exactly how Putin and his bitches in the GOP (starting with Trump and McConnell) want it.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
This makes me sick.
Ditto.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Meme

That excuse didn't work so well at the Nuremberg trials.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
State's rights are only important to the right wing when the "rights" in question are the right to enslave other humans, or something something guns.

State's rights are flexible. Just like their morals.
Exactly.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
The irony, it burns. Did Carlson even blink or should we get him an armband, too.
Fucker Carlson has been the conductor of the nazi choo-choo for a long while now.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
On PBS NewsHour last night, in response to this photo: David Brooks of the NY Times (who is their conservative voice, by the way) called the President of the United States a sociopath. And nobody even batted an eye.

David Brooks now inhabits his own personal hell. I never could stand the bastard, but I almost feel sorry for him. Ever since the election, he's had a hard time coming up with topics for his columns. He has lost his mojo. Calling thump a sociopath is a step in the right direction, but I think it's time for him to retire.

I can't help but think of Beethoven and Napoleon:
Quote:
Before long, [Beethoven] had the outlines of a completely new symphony – his third – clear in his mind. Though inspired by some of his earlier works, especially the so-called Eroica Variations (Op. 35), it was unlike anything he had written before. Vast in scope and strikingly original in style, it was bold, daring, even triumphalist.

While Beethoven was labouring over the score, he decided to name the symphony after Napoleon Bonaparte, then First Consul of France. Where this idea came from is unclear. According to his biographer and sometime secretary Anton Schindler, it had first been suggested by Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte, the French ambassador to Austria. But according to Beethoven’s pupil Ferdinand Ries, the idea was the composer’s own. As Ries explained, Beethoven had the ‘highest esteem’ for Napoleon and ‘compared him to the greatest consuls of ancient Rome’. Whatever the case, Beethoven’s enthusiasm for Bonaparte was unflinching. As soon as the score was finished, in early 1804, he wrote the Italian words ‘Sinfonia intitolata Bonaparte’ (‘Symphony entitled Bonaparte’) on the cover and left the manuscript on a table so that all his friends could see.

But Beethoven was in for a nasty surprise. Not long after putting the final touches to his symphony, Ries came to him with news that, on 18 May 1804, Napoleon had declared himself Emperor of France. Beethoven was furious. Flying into a rage, the composer shouted: ‘So he is no more than a common mortal! Now he, too, will tread underfoot all the rights of man [and] indulge only his ambition; now he will think himself superior to all men [and] become a tyrant!’ Snatching up a pen, Beethoven then strode over to the score and scribbled out the title so violently that he tore through the paper. Thenceforth, the work would be known simply as the Sinfonia Eroica (the ‘Heroic’ Symphony).

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-10-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:

It's nice to hear a consercative say such things, but it doesn't stop them from supporting the fucker. I'll bet Brooks calls him a sociopath as he's voting for him.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It's nice to hear a consercative say such things, but it doesn't stop them from supporting the fucker. I'll bet Brooks calls him a sociopath as he's voting for him.
Brooks, like all the other anti-Trump Republicans, will find some reason that the Democrats "made them" vote for Trump. "I would have voted Democrat if you hadn't nominated her! And you were such meanies when you pointed out that Republicans have been the party of white supremacists for 50 years. That hurt my feelings! Look what you made me do!"
Old 08-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Brooks, like all the other anti-Trump Republicans, will find some reason that the Democrats "made them" vote for Trump. "I would have voted Democrat if you hadn't nominated her! And you were such meanies when you pointed out that Republicans have been the party of white supremacists for 50 years. That hurt my feelings! Look what you made me do!"
I get this image of Hillary Clinton pounding Republicans with their own fists, saying 'Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!'
Old 08-10-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
There is a remake of The Most Dangerous Game due to come out soon, except, in this one, the prey are a dozen MAGAts, and the hunters are, of course, Liberals. (Note that, in the original, the prey was the protagonist and the hunter was the villain.)
So . . . they’re switching things up this time?

ETA: pjmedia, really? Have you been slumming?

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-10-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
David Brooks now inhabits his own personal hell. I never could stand the bastard, but I almost feel sorry for him. Ever since the election, he's had a hard time coming up with topics for his columns. He has lost his mojo. Calling thump a sociopath is a step in the right direction, but I think it's time for him to retire.
He's been on the NYT Bestseller list for 16 weeks, so I don't think we need to worry about him overmuch.

I don't think he's ever said who he voted for in 2016, but I think he's always been a never-trumper.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
He's been on the NYT Bestseller list for 16 weeks, so I don't think we need to worry about him overmuch.

I don't think he's ever said who he voted for in 2016, but I think he's always been a never-trumper.
Okay, sure, but one wonders how condemning he has been to the enablers of the America-hating fuckstick on Capitol Hill.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensive Indifference View Post
Quote:
I get this image of Hillary Clinton pounding Republicans with their own fists, saying 'Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!'
I've never seen Brokeback Mountain, but even I know the line (if not the all the context):

"I wish I knew how to quit you."

Whenever Trumpsters bring up Hillary to me, and they still do, I ask them: "You just can't quit her, can you?"
Old 08-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Ditto. Brooks’s columns have been batshit crazy for the past couple of years, heavy on the philosophic and theological ruminations, as if anyone cared about his opinions on such matters. In yesterday’s column, he awarded “grades” to the Boomers on various criteria such as “social causes” and “the fine arts” — I couldn’t bring myself to read it.

I will never feel sorry for him. In addition to being a general shithead, he dumped his wife and married his much younger employee like a common Gingrich.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:42 PM

"Another bad week for Trump, this week actually murdering people on Fifth Avenue. Of course the Democrats also had a bad week, complaining about the president's behavior but not really offering any real alternatives to murdering people on 5th Avenue. So once again we're stuck in this negative news cycle and I think voters just wonder when it will all end" -- (Not Really) David Brooks

Last edited by asahi; 08-10-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Ditto. Brooks’s columns have been batshit crazy for the past couple of years, heavy on the philosophic and theological ruminations, as if anyone cared about his opinions on such matters. In yesterday’s column, he awarded “grades” to the Boomers on various criteria such as “social causes” and “the fine arts” — I couldn’t bring myself to read it.
After the election, he could no longer bang the conservative drum, so he went off into vague "values" type topics that no one for a minute believes he cares about.
Quote:
I will never feel sorry for him. In addition to being a general shithead, he dumped his wife and married his much younger employee like a common Gingrich.
Maybe rather than saying I feel sorry for him, I'll say he has become pathetic and he should retire instead of continuing to embarrass himself. He's not worthy to polish (or lick) Paul Krugman's shoes.
Old 08-10-2019, 05:15 PM

Friend of Trump and HUD official Lynne Patton blames Hillary for the Epstein "suicide".
https://www.sfgate.com/entertainment...y-14295259.php