Old 08-12-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Well, this morning I woke up, and there was yesterday's leftover, cooked-at-the-park brat, and rather than re-heat my onion/pepper mixture, decided to add ketchup and mustard after briefly heating in the microwave ("nuking," in common parlance).

It was pretty good, and I offer no further excuses.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Ketchup is a kid's condiment, helping children get down stuff they would not eat by drowning it in sugar. If you even had to eat food prepared for children as a adult it becomes totally obvious what ketchup is.

Have you ever read the ingredients for BBQ sauce?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Can you be more specific?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Can you be more specific?
While I see your point, it is commonly know that most BBQ sauces are a composed of Tomatoes (ketchup), vinegar, and a sweetener such as sugar, molasses, honey, etc..
Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Ketchup is a kid's condiment, helping children get down stuff they would not eat by drowning it in sugar.
Ah, argument by insult. Or maybe a variant on guilt by association. Kids also like what you like, so your tastes are infantile.

The same logic would apply to sodas, to chocolate, etc. IOW, gimme a break.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky812 View Post
Have you ever read the ingredients for BBQ sauce?
What has that to do with his statement? It certainly doesn't negate it.

It's like I explained why Adolf Hitler was a terrible person, and then you asked, "Have you ever read about Ivan the Terrible?"
Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 AM

If you want to put ketchup on your hotdog, or truffles, or foie gras, or lobster, or caviar, or Kobe beef, more power to you.
Your dish, your condiments. No moral judgement. At most, it's like "I'd never do that".
According to Wiki the Chicago hot dog has "yellow mustard, chopped white onions, bright green sweet pickle relish, a dill pickle spear, tomato slices or wedges, pickled sport peppers and a dash of celery salt" so please don't try to BS me with "the purity of the bun and sausage," it's chock full of condiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
A sossidge inna bun is not pushing the gastronomic envelope.
Exactly. There's no mistery or exotic culture there. Sausages are tubes of ground meat, cilindrical burgers if you may.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
My philosophy is if things didn't taste good with ketchup, it would never have been created.
I feel the same about mayo, but I will die for your right to pout ketchup.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
What has that to do with his statement? It certainly doesn't negate it.

It's like I explained why Adolf Hitler was a terrible person, and then you asked, "Have you ever read about Ivan the Terrible?"
WTF? Godwin's Law invoked in a thread about putting ketchup on your hot dog!? That's a stretch!

The point is, if kids using ketchup is "drowning it in sugar", adults slathering everything in BBQ sauce is doubling down!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
If they were hubs of culinary civilization then they wouldn't be concerned with the etiquette of serving dubious-meat tubes in ghastly "bread".
Objection, your honor. The witness is stating an opinion, it is not testimony based on fact.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ají de Gallina View Post
Sausages are tubes of ground meat, cilindrical burgers if you may.
You're being overly kind. The stuff in hot dogs is the stuff that wasn't good enough to be part of a burger:
Quote:
After the steaks, chops, breasts, ribs, thighs, hams, tenderloins and briskets are removed, there's a fair amount of gristle, fat and offal remaining on a butchered animal, and early on, people realized this could be put to good use. One of these products is the hot dog, a classic of pre-cooked, processed meat.

Trimmings
The National Hot Dog & Sausage Council (NHDSC) notes that hot dogs, whether regular, turkey, pork or beef, begin with "trimmings." A purposely-vague word, trimmings come in lots of shapes and sizes.

According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO): "The raw meat materials used for precooked-cooked products are lower-grade muscle trimmings, fatty tissues, head meat, animal feet, animal skin, blood, liver and other edible slaughter by-products."
ETA: What goes into a hot dog doesn't bother me in the least - it certainly hasn't kept me from continuing to eat them. Just sayin' this is what people are getting all 'how dare you put ketchup on it' about.
Quote:
I will die for your right to pout ketchup.
I can cry a river, but I've never figured out how to pout ketchup.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 08-13-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Objection, your honor. The witness is stating an opinion, it is not testimony based on fact.
Objection sustained. The jury will disregard RobDog's statement due to his bitter resentment at living in a culinary black hole.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
"Girls' mustard" and "boys' mustard"? The concept is baffling to me. Especially given that you had only two brands, which probably meant French's yellow and Heinz yellow,
Well, it was a concept developed by children under the age of 6, so its lack of scientific rigor might be explainable in that regard. The two brands were French's (yellow, which was the only style they had back in prehistoric times) and Gulden's, (which also only offered a single type, somewhat zestier.) The admittedly haphazard demographic study certainly did lack peer review, in the scientific sense, but don't worry, the thought processes of children are often baffling to adults.

Tris
Old 08-14-2019, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Chronos: You do understand it was a designation of type preferred by boys or girls, not ON boys or girls, right?

Tris
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Well, I did understand that. Now that you mention it, though, I'm not so sure.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I do remember a commercial for Gulden's where a small boy is turning is nose up at the product on his hot dog in favor of a neon-yellow competitor. His older sister talks him into trying Gulden's, telling him it's heartier, not hotter. On taking a bite, he exclaims, "Hey! This is good!"

In that snotty way only small girls can muster, she shoots back, "See? Heartier, not hotter!"
Old 08-14-2019, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Well, I did understand that. Now that you mention it, though, I'm not so sure.
There are so many ways to go from there, but almost all of them would require you to put on your Mod Hat, and me to hide in the shadows until the thread drops off the list. I am choosing discretion. Not a common occurrence.

Tris