Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 01-24-2020, 06:32 PM
carnivorousplant is offline
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Central Arkansas
Posts: 59,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Everyone is interpreting this to be Trump ordering Yovanovitch fired. But, that misses two points: 1). Who uses "take her out" to mean "fire her"? Especially from the guy whose catch phrase is literally "You're fired." 2). Why would he be ordering those people in the room to fire her when those people have exactly zero role in her employment in the first place? Those people can't fire her, so why tell them to fire her.
The Hell else does "take her out" mean, kill her?
  #52  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:07 PM
Squink is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Yes
Posts: 20,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
The Hell else does "take her out" mean, kill her?
Go out on a date with her.
-First base if humanly possible.

Never forget what a kind person Mr. Trump is.
  #53  
Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 PM
Little Nemo is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 84,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Everyone is interpreting this to be Trump ordering Yovanovitch fired. But, that misses two points: 1). Who uses "take her out" to mean "fire her"? Especially from the guy whose catch phrase is literally "You're fired." 2). Why would he be ordering those people in the room to fire her when those people have exactly zero role in her employment in the first place? Those people can't fire her, so why tell them to fire her.
And there's no explanation about why Lev Parnas and Robert Hyde would have people trailing Yovanovitch, be discussing her security coverage, and be negotiating with some Ukrainians if their plan was to fire her.
  #54  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:40 AM
DesertDog is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 6,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Republicans have more projection than a multi-plex theater.
Well, why not? It works for Dear Leader.

Last edited by DesertDog; 01-27-2020 at 10:40 AM.
  #55  
Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 AM
Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 21,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
Hope springs eternal.
  #56  
Old 02-05-2020, 05:09 PM
Velocity is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 16,582
Well, it happened!
  #57  
Old 02-05-2020, 05:26 PM
Projammer's Avatar
Projammer is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SW Arkansas
Posts: 6,789
Meh.

The house was always going to vote to impeach, no matter the facts.

The senate was always going to vote to acquit, no matter the facts.

The only thing surprising is that anyone would be surprised at these outcomes.
  #58  
Old 02-05-2020, 05:28 PM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 29,846
Who was surprised at these outcomes?
  #59  
Old 02-05-2020, 05:29 PM
Procrustus is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pacific NW. •
Posts: 12,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Meh.

The house was always going to vote to impeach, no matter the facts.

The senate was always going to vote to acquit, no matter the facts.

The only thing surprising is that anyone would be surprised at these outcomes.
I disagree with the first assertion. The House didnít impeach for lots of stuff. Some particular facts supporting impeachment were apparently required
  #60  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:20 PM
begbert2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Idaho
Posts: 13,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Meh.

The house was always going to vote to impeach, no matter the facts.

The senate was always going to vote to acquit, no matter the facts.

The only thing surprising is that anyone would be surprised at these outcomes.
Yeah, this is just more "the sides are the same" bullshit. If the house were "always" going to impeach regardless of facts, they wouldn't have waited for the facts to be gathered before instigating the impeachment. But yes, after the facts demonstrated beyond any doubt that Trump was guilty of crimes, the house impeached "no matter the facts".
  #61  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:38 PM
River Hippie's Avatar
River Hippie is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: N.E. Indiana, USA
Posts: 5,720
Senate Republicans are children in the schoolyard siding with a bully because they are terrified he will turn his wrath on them.
  #62  
Old 02-05-2020, 06:46 PM
Skywatcher's Avatar
Skywatcher is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Somewhere in the Potomac
Posts: 35,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hippie View Post
they are terrified he will turn his wrath on them.
Him and his toadies.
  #63  
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM
D_Odds is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Queens
Posts: 13,024
Maybe the mods can remove the "satire" tag. It was never satire. It was always a foregone conclusion. A lamentable, disgusting conclusion.
__________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
  #64  
Old 02-05-2020, 07:20 PM
Ludovic is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: America's Wing
Posts: 30,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Him and his toadies.
He showed them his dark secret.
  #65  
Old 02-05-2020, 07:25 PM
ricksummon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Columbus, OH, USA
Posts: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Maybe the mods can remove the "satire" tag. It was never satire. It was always a foregone conclusion. A lamentable, disgusting conclusion.
It wasn't a foregone conclusion that Doug Jones or Joe Manchin would vote to convict on both counts due to the red states they represent - but they did.

And it certainly wasn't a foregone conclusion that Mitt Romney would vote to convict. Vote for witnesses, sure... but actually vote guilty?
  #66  
Old 02-06-2020, 05:23 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 24,354
Far be it for me to defend Romney but he's been critical of Trump and the Republican handling of the process all along. He hasn't stood out in front of the Capitol and banged a drum or anything, but neither has he been parroting the rah-rah Republican lies. So, good for Mitt. He's still a money-grubbing jerk, but he apparently has a line he won't cross.
  #67  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 AM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 15,483
Well, this has only done Trump good as it turns out. Now he's got that Jesse James effect, the charismatic outlaw. He can openly proclaim they tried to remove him for bucking the system, and get cheered like a hero. Trump's incessant lies and boasts work, as long as Repubs have a majority. He's got nothing holding him back now. Nobody can stop him.
  #68  
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Ann Hedonia's Avatar
Ann Hedonia is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,788
Hey Susan Collins!

It looks like everyone learned their lesson and they’re going to stop cheating.

Just kidding - they’re set to ramp up the investigations into the Bidens.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rudy-g...m-lies-in-ruin
  #69  
Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 AM
elucidator is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 60,450
They will announce such investigations. Total bluff.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2019 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017