Old 08-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Oh, I don't much care for wine in cooking either. The flavor of the wine overwhelms everything else. Gods, imagine a cilantro/wine sauce ... Do we still have a puking smiley?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Isaiah 10:1-3
Charter Member

Mmmmmm.....cilantro and a nice Spanish Rioja. Yummy!

Wine is wonderful in all it's forms.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycat90
And, well, I have some pretty big glasses. ;-)
I can only surmise that Dorothy Parker was secretly a teetotaler.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turek
I dislike wine. Intensely.

You know how there's a gene that causes some folks to think cilantro tastes like soap?

I think I have a gene that makes all wine taste like vomit. Seriously. I try other people's wine all the time in an attempt to find something that's good, and every wine I ever taste tastes like stomach acid. Red, white, blush, etc., it's all the same.

Am I alone here? All my friends look at me like I'm crazy.
I went through a pro-wine phase when I was looking mainly for low-effort drinks that contained a lot of alcohol. Eventually the taste got to me and now I stick with potent margaritas when I want to strap one on. Still though, I think a good wine is a good companion to good food.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor of Aquitaine
It took a little determination for me to acquire a liking for wine, but I quite enjoy it now, reds and whites.

I put effort into it because I don't like beer anymore, mixed drinks are too sweet, and hard liquor would put me under the table quick.

A few years ago, Brainiac4 decided that as an anniversary gift to me he'd learn to like wine. I was complaining because I'd open a $10 bottle and dump half of it down the drain after three days. It took some determination (he started wanting sweeter whites, I convinced him to go for reds - neither of us wants a Chardonnay). It did take some determination - wine isn't something that tastes GOOD to many people with the first sip - but he did learn to like it.

Most expensive gift he's ever given me. It was cheaper to dump half the $10 bottle down the drain......

I suspect that, like golf, which he also took up to please me, there was a secondary motivation for him - he does a lot of business with vendors (or formerly, with clients) and to be able to talk intelligently about wine(and being able to hit a fairway wood without embarrassment are good skills to bring along when asked out to dinner or for a day of golf.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 PM

I've enjoyed a Riesling or two, and I like making my own chicken marsala, but otherwise, wine is very meh to me. I'll drink it if my host proudly offers it, but I'll never order it.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:25 PM

I don't like wine. I don't like red wine a lot. I will, for politeness sake, manage to work my way through about 1/2 a glass of white wine when required, but I am not enjoying it. Since I also won't drink beer (ick), it does mean when going out I am either drinking coolers, ciders or mixed drinks.

I do, by the way, like cilantro.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
All I know is if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot.
I love almost all wines but yes, Merlot just sucks. Blech.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I like red wines and ports. When I'm not drinking beer or gin.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM

I've tried to like red wine, but I just can't. I can drink chardonnay or white zin, but that's about it. I do like most of the Duplin wines but they are all sweet scuppernong/muscadine wines that don't get any serious consideration from wine lovers.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 PM

I hate cilantro (I'm a "soapie"), and I dislike wine. Every time I've tried wine it tasted like baby vinegar...sour and bitey but without enough of a kick to make it worthwhile. Then again, I LOVE vinegar. Maybe I just don't like wine that's not done yet!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bordelond
For those who categorically dislike wine: are sparkling wines any better (thinking mainly of sweet spumantes like Tosti Asti and Ballatore [sp?])?
I much prefer a sweet riesling or a moscato d'asti to a cabernet sauvignon or even a chardonnay.

Oh, and not a fan of cilantro. I'm still not sure if I have the soap gene or if I just don't like the taste.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Just for the record, the cilantro thing was given as an example of how something can taste totally different to different people because of genetics.

I wasn't implying a correlation between "soapy" cilantro and "vomity" wine.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:56 AM

Hey! Consider ignorance fought - I went and looked up cilantro and now I know it is just another name for coriander.

For the record, I love wine, from a big sweet Sauternes to full bodied Aussie red. I come from a family that always had wine with meals and I can't think of anyone who dislikes wine in the way you do, Turek. Some are less keen - prefer other drinks -some only like sweet whites (!) but none that think it tastes of vomit
Old 08-13-2008, 08:21 AM

I'm in the can't-stand-the-taste-of-anything-alcoholic group. I've tried various kinds of wine, spirits and beer, hoping to find something I liked, and they're all unbearable. Same thing with tea and black coffee. I can drink white tea or green tea if it's sufficiently disguised with a fruit flavor, but then I have a hangover the next day.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitycrash
I love almost all wines but yes, Merlot just sucks. Blech.
"Sideways" notwithstanding, I guess I just don't understand this. I've had some mediocre merlots, but then I've had some great ones. To each his own, though, and it's a big enough world for all of us.

Then again, I'm more like Miles' friend whose usual review is "I dunno, tasted pretty good to me."
Old 08-13-2008, 09:13 AM

Love wine, love coriander.

I prefer lighter-bodied reds in general and am not a huge fan of Chardonnay or Merlot in particular (though I have experienced good exceptions). Lately I've been enjoying rosé a lot.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Plynck Maybe I've just picked out some crappy Merlot. I've only tasted three or four different ones. That is a large enough sample size for me. Oh well, to each his own.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plynck
"Sideways" notwithstanding, I guess I just don't understand this. I've had some mediocre merlots, but then I've had some great ones. To each his own, though, and it's a big enough world for all of us.

Then again, I'm more like Miles' friend whose usual review is "I dunno, tasted pretty good to me."
I thought his objection was more about it being trendy??

Oh, and veal marsala is the exception to my not liking wine.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Wine is awesome. Coriander is awesome. Love bitter food in general and am not too into sweet things.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

As mentioned earlier, I hate the taste of all things alcohol. I also can't stand the taste of coffee and chocolate. Top that!

ETA: I can take or leave cilantro.

Last edited by hajario; 08-13-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus
Wine is wonderful in all it's forms.
Are you sure about that?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usar_jag
I'll have you know that Boone's Farm Snow Creek Berry Flavored Apple Wine Product is the only alcoholic beverage I can tolerate. When I have to get drunk, it has to be Boone's Farm SCBFAWP.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublata
I'll have you know that Boone's Farm Snow Creek Berry Flavored Apple Wine Product is the only alcoholic beverage I can tolerate. When I have to get drunk, it has to be Boone's Farm SCBFAWP.
To each their own--I have a couple of fond Boone's Farm memories myself. However, good wine it ain't--at least in my book.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM

It's not so much that I dislike wine as that I like most other forms of alcohol significantly more, especially micro-brewed beer.

Can't stand tequila, though.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 AM

I loathe wine. I can't even stand the smell. I wish I didn't, but I've tried so many times to try to like wine but each time was a failure. I *like* Japanese plum wine (but it's much different from our normal wines in that it is very sweet) and I can stomach garlic wine, but wine made from grapes? Insert barfy face here.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 AM

I dislike the taste of alcohol in general, and even most wines are hard for me to drink without shuddering and making a face. I do enjoy an occasional nice glass of red wine with a good steak, and there are some German white wines that I like. Piesporter is one of them, available at Trader Joe's for 4 bucks. So sweet it's almost like fruit juice.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:43 AM

I love wine. Wish I could drink it. 1 can't make it through one glass without getting a headache. Sometimes it's worth a trip to the medicine cabinet.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:33 AM

Wine is nasty. I think it tastes like... juice gone bad, or something. Eeww.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:00 AM

So whoever recommended the Danish cherry wine...my BF brought home the chocolate-cherry version.

It is very sweet. I think even wine-haters would think it tastes like candy. It tastes better mixed with soda of some sort.

As for the question...I like wine above the grade of Mad Dog/Wild Irish Rose. Also love cilantro, though I've got a sister who hates it.

Last edited by MerryMagdalen; 08-14-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:53 PM

I’ve had acid reflux since I was little, so I was intimately familiar with the taste of stomach acid.

The first time I tried wine, my instant reaction was ‘stomach acid?’

I agree with the original poster, in that I can not tell any difference between the flavors of stomach acid and red wine.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:43 PM

This wasn't really discussed before, but, yes, on the one hand wine is supposed to be acidic, but on the other hand not much more so than regular orange juice or grape juice or tomato juice. Not quite as much as vinegar or stomach acid or lemon juice.

pH is clearly not the only factor, though. I may not be an experienced food and drink reviewer, but I can tell good wine actually tastes unlike vinegar or puke or OJ. If you simply don't care for it (or the particular vintage) that's a completely different story, but even a glass of cheap claret is not supposed to make you literally sick.

Last edited by DPRK; 02-22-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:52 PM

I dislike dry wines, but sweet/medium are OK. But I avoid them because they keep me awake.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
I love wine. Wish I could drink it. 1 can't make it through one glass without getting a headache. Sometimes it's worth a trip to the medicine cabinet.
Have you tried Purewine? I assume it's available where you are. I know a few people who swear by it.

Last edited by don't ask; 02-22-2020 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don't ask View Post
Have you tried Purewine? I assume it's available where you are. I know a few people who swear by it.
I know Magiver is still active, but you're replying to a post from 2008.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:19 PM

This is a 12 year zombie, FWIW.

Many of the headaches caused by wine are due to the histamine in red wine. Try whites, and see if it comes up. Or take an antihistamine and try a red. Alternately, if you think it might be due to sulfites (This autocorrect really isn't suitable for chemistry discussion.), try some dried fruit and see if you get a headache from that too.

I don't see the point of squirting hydrogen peroxide into my wine, which is what Purewine is.

If someone doesn't like wine, I can try to help them find out why they don't like the ones they've tried, and suggest others.

Or, it just may not be for them. More for the rest of us.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 02-22-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:28 PM

The only wine I actually enjoy drinking is vermouth. Red wine is a no go due to its bitterness--it doesn't help the one red wine I do actually drink, communion wine, is one of the most awful things out there. White's drinkable, but how many places you know of sell wine but no beer or spirits?
To be honest, the one thing that throws me off wine is the whole wine culture. I have no interest in gingerly sipping my wine to analyze its terroir or its flavorings. And I think the whole food pairing thing is silly. Why should have to analyze what's going to match up with my food instead of just drinking what I want?
Old 02-22-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
To be honest, the one thing that throws me off wine is the whole wine culture. I have no interest in gingerly sipping my wine to analyze its terroir or its flavorings.
Who is holding you hostage and compelling you to do this?
Old 02-23-2020, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post

If someone doesn't like wine, I can try to help them find out why they don't like the ones they've tried, and suggest others.
Every single wine I've ever tried that is made from grapes tastes like mold. I don't think there's getting past that. I have had apple and cranberry wines that don't taste moldy though.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:44 AM

No, I don't like wine. I don't like any alcohol unless it's been mixed with something else, but if I want to get smashed fast I choose fireball shots since the cinnamon overpowers the alcohol taste for me
Old 02-23-2020, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Every single wine I've ever tried that is made from grapes tastes like mold. I don't think there's getting past that. I have had apple and cranberry wines that don't taste moldy though.
Odd. I've never had that experience - perhaps because I've never tasted mold as a basis of comparison.

I like wine but I'm hardly a wine snob nor someone willing to pay big bucks for a high class bottle. Which has been great for my budget.

And I'm shocked, shocked, that no one has mentioned you can't mix a Zombie using wine.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:40 AM
Charter Member

Wow, I’d forgotten about this thread, but it still holds true. I’ve gotten married since the OP and my wife drinks wine. Every time I try hers, it’s the acid reflux taste.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by installLSC View Post
...I have no interest in gingerly sipping...
More of a Mary Ann, eh? Just kidding. I get what you're saying, though (and vermouth is an excellent ass-kicker right before lunch). It's not always silly and elitist like that. Well, in some circles, it certainly is, but it's a very interesting culture that's worth cultivating if you get into it with unpretentious and knowledgeable friends.

I knew someone who worked as a chemist for a winemaker and he said that the Tío Pepe brand of sherry is the purest (as in results from a chemical analysis) booze that he'd come across. Maybe you'll have a better experience with sherry. After four or five little glasses of it, I feel woozy in a way that I don't really like. That's why I prefer beer.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:51 AM

6 and a half more years and this thread'll be old enough to buy its own wine in England...
Old 02-23-2020, 07:29 AM

I would have thought the "purest" booze would be something like distilled, filtered, unflavored vodka, and that would be much less acidic than wine. It might still "burn" if it were concentrated enough and you took a swig (distillation can output up to 96% ethanol).

Last edited by DPRK; 02-23-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:46 AM

Pure as in "clean" rather than strong.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
This is a 12 year zombie, FWIW.
Well, wine is supposed to age, otherwise it's just grape juice.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

I've always hatred the taste of alcohol, wine included.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:38 AM

Love wine. Well, some wine. Sweet wines are gross, and I like a sharp, tannin-forward wine.

Cilantro ruins everything.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

I would rather eat something made with almonds, than with Amaretto.
I would rather eat something made with oranges, than with Cointreau.
I would rather eat something made with mint, than with Creme de Menthe

I would rather drink grape juice, than wine.