Old 09-09-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Given that every coffeeshop I've ever seen also serves drip coffee, I'm not sure why one would order an americano, but there you have it.
Where I've seen an americano on the menu (the Caribbean) there were no drip coffee makers.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:55 AM

This Americano doesn't like espresso because it tastes like charcoal. The beans have the appearance and texture of charcoal; they have been roasted so long the flavor and caffeine have gone up in smoke. Give me a good medium roast, brewed strong, with cream, please.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
This Americano doesn't like espresso because it tastes like charcoal. The beans have the appearance and texture of charcoal; they have been roasted so long the flavor and caffeine have gone up in smoke. Give me a good medium roast, brewed strong, with cream, please.
I guess if you have never had espresso made with good beans, roasted correctly (i.e. if you have only had Starbucks) then this might be correct. In Italy I found that espresso was different in every different coffee shop or restaurant. Sometimes fruity, sometimes very smoky, sometimes almost sweet. Depended on where they got their beans. I wish we could get such variety in coffee shops here in the US.

Last edited by kayT; 09-09-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:02 PM

Starbuck's drip coffee is burnt, too. Don't like dark roast.

Had some delicious Turkish coffee served by an Assyrian coworker. Dude looked like an anti-government guerilla who got out one step ahead of Saddam's goons, but he brewed a good, thick, almost sweet cuppa joe.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Given that every coffeeshop I've ever seen also serves drip coffee, I'm not sure why one would order an americano, but there you have it.
In my experience, if the shop/stand serves espresso, their drip coffee has turned into sludge from sitting in the carafe for hours. Whereas the Americano is made fresh every time. That's why I switched from drip coffee to Americano, in the rare occasion I need a caffeine fix while on the go.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
...and another said "American (weak)". Not sure what the machine did with that. Fewer beans? Push the water through faster?
My vague recollection is that you get a larger portion for the American option. So they must use the same amount of ground beans and pour more hot water through it.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Yes, café con leche is half and half.
Since we're on the topic, let me add: Cafe au lait, which is 1/2 scalded milk and 1/2 coffee. I suppose it's better if the coffee has chicory in it, which is how they serve it at the Cafe du Monde.

As for humorous cultural appropriation, it's my honor to introduce to this thread: http://www.engrish.com/ (Just look up Engrish if the link doesn't work.)

I think this was once part of the "Cheezburger" series of blogs featuring humorous daily or hourly posts, but at some point moved out and became its own thing. Maybe people were getting triggered, you know, they thought this site was making fun of well meaning but inadvertently hilarious attempts at English, found all over Asia. Well, the site does do that.

But if you've ever lived or traveled in Asia, you'll be constantly bombarded with this stuff, ad nauseam, to the point where you've got nowhere to go but to laugh. Some of these examples are so over the top...

Last edited by Limmin; 09-09-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenching Spanners View Post
A cafe Americano is a watered down espresso. It's resemblance to a good filtered coffee is similar to a watered down Port being passed off as a glass of wine. Do they actually do cafe Americano's in the US? I've had the horrid experience in a Barcelona Starbucks, believe it or not, of being told there's no difference between a cafe Americano and a filtered coffee. I was too eager for caffeine, and too lacking in Spanish language skills, to argue or demand a refund. Cafe con leche isn't my preferred coffee, but it's my go-to coffee in Spain since. And I've not returned to any Spanish Starbucks since that experience.
I just returned from a trip to Italy ( Sicily ) and while everyone there was great, I felt that by asking for caffe Americano was analogous to going to a pub in Ireland and asking for a pint of ( bitter, stout...whatever ) with ice cubes in it, to both cool and dilute it. No "attitude" detected ( that I could sense ) but I always wondered if they thought I was some kind of wuss that couldn't handle "a real coffee".

That said, I did drink and enjoy cups of espresso, but not as a breakfast drink. When I drink coffee with some breakfast ( there or back home ) I like a proper sized cup I can sip at and drink over a few minutes, not just a small "shot" I can down in one small gulp. I kinda' like large amounts of hot liquid in me to make my body "work", shall we say.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:22 PM

You can have my Americano when you pry it from my cold dead hands! The problem with an espresso is that there isn't very much of it and it is so concentrated that it needs sugar to take the edge of. I'd like a larger serving of my hot beverage, and I can't stand sweet drinks. The Americano solves both these problems by diluting the espresso - it's more to drink, and no longer requires sugar.

When I lived in Egypt, there were all kinds of appropriated names/foods. In every grocery store there were several brands of "Oreos" with bizarre variations on the name, like "Borios." And let us not forget the great pizza chain restaurant, "Pizza Hat," which stole the actual Pizza Hut logo. The great thing about that is, when you see the words "Pizza Hat" with the Pizza Hut logo, the logo definitely looks like a hat.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
When I lived in Egypt... let us not forget the great pizza chain restaurant, "Pizza Hat," which stole the actual Pizza Hut logo. The great thing about that is, when you see the words "Pizza Hat" with the Pizza Hut logo, the logo definitely looks like a hat.
I love this.

It also makes just as much, perhaps even more sense as a name than "Pizza Hut", too, unless the restaurants I've seen are actually made of boughs, straw, and mud.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

The Engrish site is a classic and I’m pretty sure it was around before the Cheezeburger sites. At least, I know I was looking at it in the very early 2000s or maybe even the late 90s.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
My vague recollection is that you get a larger portion for the American option. So they must use the same amount of ground beans and pour more hot water through it.
Probably just add plain water after or before the espresso shot- if you carry on pouring water through used beans with an espresso machine, the coffee starts tasting bitter.

Incidentally, an Italian macchiato (unlike the Spanish or the Starbucks version) is an espresso shot with a teeny splash of milk froth to take the edge off. If ordering one in Europe, it's a good idea to check which it is beforehand. In England it's about 50/50.

I used to work in an airport coffee shop, with plenty of 'Why's my big milky coffee served in a cup for ants?!' people.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:27 PM

My ex and I heard, when eating at an Indian restaurant, "Red River Valley"

On what sounded like a slide sitar
Old 09-09-2019, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyada View Post
My ex and I heard, when eating at an Indian restaurant, "Red River Valley"

On what sounded like a slide sitar
There's a group called Twelve Girls Band who play a lot of western music on traditional Chinese instruments. They're not bad, actually.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

In a similar vein one of my favorite albums back in the vinyl days featured a squad of kotos playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
You can have my Americano when you pry it from my cold dead hands! The problem with an espresso is that there isn't very much of it
That's the Italian version. A Spanish café has 200-250cc of liquid caffeine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
Probably just add plain water after or before the espresso shot-
Yeah, this. You make the coffee as usual and water it down.

Last edited by Nava; 09-10-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
In a similar vein one of my favorite albums back in the vinyl days featured a squad of kotos playing Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
Off-topic, but this reminded me: for anyone (like me) who would almost rather hear any instrument than a violin, I highly recommend the version of the Four Seasons by the Canadian Brass. The Winter section, in particular, is gorgeous.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
The Engrish site is a classic and I’m pretty sure it was around before the Cheezeburger sites. At least, I know I was looking at it in the very early 2000s or maybe even the late 90s.
You know, I think I too browsed the Engrish site before it joined (then later left) Cheezburger.

But now the site is kind of all alone and feels obscure. But there's a new post pretty much every day...
Old 09-10-2019, 12:01 PM

While I was an American tourist in Italy, I saw a cheerful Asian-looking tourist wearing a T-shirt boldly emblazoned, "TEXT GOES HERE."
Old 09-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I shouldn't have been surprised to find out that Outback doesn't serve traditional Australian food.

Maybe McDonald's really does sell different types of food in different regions of the world, but their recent regional food campaign just seems like a PR gimmick.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I shouldn't have been surprised to find out that Outback doesn't serve traditional Australian food.

Maybe McDonald's really does sell different types of food in different regions of the world, but their recent regional food campaign just seems like a PR gimmick.
The problem is that most of what they chose isn’t very interesting compared to their normal American menu. I was in need of some quick, cheap calories yesterday and wound up having what seemed like an eggs Benedict burger at a McDonalds at the Tokyo Skytree. (That tower wasn’t worth 3100 yen. My quick lunch, having sweated like crazy walking around Asakusa, was totally worth 700.)
Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
While I was an American tourist in Italy, I saw a cheerful Asian-looking tourist wearing a T-shirt boldly emblazoned, "TEXT GOES HERE."
A couple years ago there was someone repeatedly asking in a Facebook group if any of the bands who were members wanted to buy his shirt designs and he had examples: one was an amazing growling tiger on a black background but the sample text on it was "BAND NAME" and I wanted to ask if I could just buy a copy of that shirt as is, literally saying "BAND NAME", because I could wear it ironically and the design was actually cool.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 PM

I still don't know how the OP is in any way "cultural appropriation." It is a misunderstanding or even a lack of interest, but they are not saying "kimonos are Western."
Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM

I dunno, it depends on how you define "cultural appropriation." As a Westerner heavily involved in teaching and promoting a traditional Indonesian art to other Westerners, I try to be mindful of this. To me, something becomes appropriation when it is adopted/adapted with no attempt to understand the significance, history, aesthetics, and possibly sacred connotations of something from another culture. Sincere attempts to learn and show respect are fine, even if they don't succeed in reproducing the original. Even fusion is fine, if it demonstrates some attempt to understand the meaning of the practice/ food/clothing/whatever being integrated into some other context. (Hell, life would be much worse for us all if there were not continual instances of cultures influencing each other, producing wonderful new things).

What's not okay, and what does smack of appropriation, is mindless adoption of a cultural practice when there has obviously been no attempt to understand proper use or context. Something smacks of stereotyping rather than honest appreciation, like "hey, the Japanese wear kimonos, look at me, I'm wearing a kimono, now I'm like a Japanese person!" - when it could have easily been done right with a little interest in authenticity, but instead it is carelessly done wrong. Imagine, for example, an American burger joint in Okinawa decorated with Christian crosses because the owner saw some pictures of a church in the US and thought the crosses looked pretty.

Anyway, that's my two cents. We adopt and adapt Javanese stuff all the time in my group, but before we take a symbol like the "tree of life" which is such an iconic symbol of wayang (shadow puppetry), and incorporate it into a logo for our group, I read up and ask around whether we might be offensive/ignorant.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
One day my father came home amused by a T-shirt on a pretty 15yo blonde saying "KISS ME, STUPID". He said he hadn't followed instructions because he didn't want to get in trouble, but damn if he hadn't wanted to say "vale, soy tonto" (ok, I'm stupid; the movie was called Bésame, tonto in Spain) and swoop in.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Keeping with the Asian theme...

I was eating lunch at a Chinese buffet a few years ago, just stuffing my face and lazily listening to the "Asian" muzak. A certain tune sounded hauntingly familiar. Then I figured it out - it was "Reel Around the Sun" from Riverdance, arranged for and played on traditional Japanese instruments. Quite a little mind-fuck.
Ah, Japan, where about 90% of all telephone hold music is "Greensleeves". I never liked the tune before I went to Japan, now I hate it.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:08 AM

We play for your erection, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guizot View Post
Are simple linguistic gaffes really "cultural appropiation gone wrong"?

I'm sure they often go hand-in-hand, but I think they're distinct things.
True. Japan was full of them, now I see the same sort of things from China posted in the Net. Misspellings or clueless translations.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:25 AM

Most ethnic restaurants can be a hoot, especially if they dress up in original ethnic clothing - or some version of it. One of my favorite Indian restaurants in Duesseldorf sometimes kitted out its waiters in what looked like Rajputi (west Indian) garb. For quite a while there was a Spanish waiter there ... dressed up like a Rajputi.

Kimonos: I bought a used wedding kimono for my sister - you can buy them quite cheaply from the department stores in Tokyo, unfortunately, the accessories such as the obi (sash) have to be bought new and they are expensive. Like the Chinese cheongsan, kimonos don't suit the Western female figure, which is too, ah, bumpy. A Japanese restaurant with Westerners in kimonos would be fun. And yes, you should beware of the big-time faux pas of getting the direction wrong.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Ah, Japan, where about 90% of all telephone hold music is "Greensleeves". I never liked the tune before I went to Japan, now I hate it.
I guess Cisco is not in Japan.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Saw something similar on a self-serve coffee machine at a hotel restaurant in Japan. Press a button and it grinds beans a brews you a cup. There were several buttons providing options for lattes and other fancy features. But of the two basic coffee buttons, one said "blend," which is standard Japanese-strength coffee, and another said "American (weak)". Not sure what the machine did with that. Fewer beans? Push the water through faster? Never tried it; I was just amused that they came right out and described it as "weak".
It sounds like the coffee machine at my workplace, which is full of Europeans. It’s an expresso machine that uses pods. The brew options consist of little pictures of various size cups. This represents the coffee to water ratio and the big cup is the Americano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I’m a white American, but my step mom is Chinese, from Hong Kong. When I was a kid, her mother once bought me shorts which had English written on them, which I so wish I still had: next to a cartoon picture of a skater, they said, “7 up, and don’t you forgot it!”
I love stuff like this. Every now and then I see something in a discount store that cracks me up and I buy it. Some examples.

A lightweight baseball cap, blue. Instead of a logo,company name or team name, it’s simply emblazoned with the word SPORTS.

A beach bag with an embroidered beach scene. The scene depicts a small desert island under a vicious looking blazing sun. The final touch is sharks in the water. Makes me crave a day at the beach.

My “ice pants”. A pair of fleece pajama pants. I think the designer had seen prints celebrating snow and was going for a knockoff variant. The print features ice skating bears, ice crystals and big sheets of ice. And the words ICE ICE ICE!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:10 AM

This probably doesn't count: in, "A Christmas Story," the family goes out to eat when the hillbilly neighbor dogs destroy their turkey. They go to a Chinese restaurant. The restaurant is in a defunct bowling alley. The neon sign out front has the "W" burnt out; it says BO LING. Is that the name of the owner? It was several years before I really caught on.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 09-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:05 PM

Does this go here? Not sure if it's humorous. I have my doubts about this, although the doll is gorgeous.

Día de Muertos Barbie: Respectful Tribute, or ‘Obviously Cultural Appropriation’?
The newly released doll, adorned with motifs associated with the Mexican holiday, has raised concerns about the watering down of a 3,000-year-old tradition.

Here she is.

Quote:
In Mexican culture, the Día de Muertos — or Day of the Dead — is when the gateway between the living and the dead is said to open, a holiday during which the living honor and pay respects to loved ones who have died.

A new Día de Muertos Barbie, released on Thursday, was intended less as a portal into the realm of the dead and more as a gateway into Mexican culture. At least that is what Mattel is hoping for.

“We often look at different ways to continue to engage girls and families to gain knowledge and celebrate other cultures and other parts of the world,” Michelle Chidoni, a spokeswoman for the company, said. “Our hope is for this Día de Muertos Barbie to honor the holiday for the millions that celebrate and to introduce people not familiar with the tradition to the rich meaning.”

The doll, which will retail at $75, has a black mermaid-style dress decorated with monarch butterflies, marigolds and roses. Her face is adorned with Calavera Catrina makeup and her head is embellished with a crown of marigolds.

Many have expressed worries about cultural appropriation and the use of a 3,000-year-old tradition for profit.

“With ‘Coco’ and other movies, I think it has become very popular,” José Higuera López, deputy director of the Jamie Lucero Mexican Studies Institute at Lehman College in the Bronx, said of the holiday. “I think we have to be careful in the way that we portray our celebrations as Mexicans. It’s important that it is not a parody of the celebration, and more of a representation of Latinos.”
Why not Pietà Barbie with a weeping, blue and white-draped Barbie holding the bloody loincloth-clad Ken across her lap? Or maybe a modestly crucified Barbie?

I'm probably overreacting...
Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Does this go here? Not sure if it's humorous. I have my doubts about this, although the doll is gorgeous.

Día de Muertos Barbie: Respectful Tribute, or ‘Obviously Cultural Appropriation’?
The newly released doll, adorned with motifs associated with the Mexican holiday, has raised concerns about the watering down of a 3,000-year-old tradition.

Here she is.

Why not Pietà Barbie with a weeping, blue and white-draped Barbie holding the bloody loincloth-clad Ken across her lap? Or maybe a modestly crucified Barbie?

I'm probably overreacting...
What's humorous is the people complaining about this. First it was "Why does Barbie have to be White & blonde! Racist!" Now it's "Why is Barbie celebrating a different culture? Cultural appropriation!"
Old 09-12-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine View Post
I saw an "American restaurant" in Spain once. Some of the highlights of the menu, which was written in a delightfully random mixture of Spanish and English, included nachos, pasta carbonara, pasta arrabiata, quesadillas, teriyaki burgers, "daily Mediterranean salad," crepes, and profiteroles. Sort of a Spanish-appropriation-of-American-appropriation-of-everyone-else, I guess?
Supposedly the style of Americanized "Chinese" food you find any every Chinese restaurant in the US is becoming popular in China. Except over there it's marketed as "American" food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
A lightweight baseball cap, blue. Instead of a logo,company name or team name, it’s simply emblazoned with the word SPORTS.
I once bought a pair of swim trunks at a touristy store in Costa Rica after my other pair got torn. They were emblazoned with the words "1952 SPORTS". I have no idea what, if anything, was significant about the year 1952 in the world of sports.

Actually your SPORTS had reminds me of a shirt The Onion used to sell in their online store. It read "The sports team from my area is superior to the sports team from your area."
Old 09-12-2019, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You can have my Americano when you pry it from my cold dead hands! The problem with an espresso is that there isn't very much of it and it is so concentrated that it needs sugar to take the edge of[f].
My first employer* told me that that’s why the Greeks invented baklava.

*As far as YOU know

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 09-12-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
A couple years ago there was someone repeatedly asking in a Facebook group if any of the bands who were members wanted to buy his shirt designs and he had examples: one was an amazing growling tiger on a black background but the sample text on it was "BAND NAME" and I wanted to ask if I could just buy a copy of that shirt as is, literally saying "BAND NAME", because I could wear it ironically and the design was actually cool.
You’ve probably been sniped on that by now...
Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
What's humorous is the people complaining about this. First it was "Why does Barbie have to be White & blonde! Racist!" Now it's "Why is Barbie celebrating a different culture? Cultural appropriation!"
Hmmm... I guess you aren't getting my point. Nothing to do with "different culture."
Old 09-12-2019, 07:05 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
Most ethnic restaurants can be a hoot, especially if they dress up in original ethnic clothing - or some version of it. One of my favorite Indian restaurants in Duesseldorf sometimes kitted out its waiters in what looked like Rajputi (west Indian) garb. For quite a while there was a Spanish waiter there ... dressed up like a Rajputi.
Le Palace, the most upscale strip club in Panama City, which is a few blocks from my house, outfits its doormen as Canadian Mounties. It's certainly incongruous to see them standing next to the palm trees by the door. They evidently do it in imitation of Crazy Horse, the famous cabaret in Paris.

Last edited by Colibri; 09-12-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Something smacks of stereotyping rather than honest appreciation, like "hey, the Japanese wear kimonos, look at me, I'm wearing a kimono, now I'm like a Japanese person!" - when it could have easily been done right with a little interest in authenticity, but instead it is carelessly done wrong.
Yeah, do you know who thinks that there is a "wrong" way for a Westerner to wear a kimono? (The answer: not the Japanese.)
Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering where the idiotic "3,000-year-old tradition" comes from. I found this article saying that it was started by the Aztecs 3,000 years ago (the Aztec's known history goes back around 800 years.) could that be the source the NYT used for the date, or is someone else claiming to know about North American cultural celebrations continuing unbroken for 3,000 years? Because to me that sound a lot more offensive than a Barbie doll.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:37 PM

Much of the discussion is about food viewed through the prism of another culture.

But it reminded me how universities are becoming more politically correct. One example was when yoga classes were cancelled at the University of Ottawa because they were complaints that this was “cultural appropriation”. Seems more like cultural diffusion to me. You probably don’t want to get into academic discussions of Hallowe’en costumes.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:28 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Hmmm... I guess you aren't getting my point. Nothing to do with "different culture."
Then if the problem is perceived commercialization, they should go shopping in New Mexico. Shops have been making money off Day of the Dead stuff for ages.