Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFacts View Post
My interest in Yang just went from "Vaguely intrigued and Glad There's a Fresh Face Proposing New Ideas" to "GTFO."
Same. Also, I'm concerned about a candidate that has obnoxious and ill mannered fans, like the current POTUS.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
His ethnic jokes were cringeworthy, too - "I'm Asian, so I know a lot of doctors" wasn't the only one, either.

Time to clear the stage, Andrew.
Unfortunately, it's the age we live in.

We live in a viral world, a meme world, a YouTube replay world. He doesn't have the name recognition the other candidates have, so he has to fight guerilla warfare style. I don't like it either, but welcome to life in 2019.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Unfortunately, it's the age we live in.

We live in a viral world, a meme world, a YouTube replay world. He doesn't have the name recognition the other candidates have, so he has to fight guerilla warfare style. I don't like it either, but welcome to life in 2019.
How is "there's lots of asian doctors" guerrilla warfare in a meme world? Did you mean to address criticism of his giveaway announcement? Because that's viral and YouTube worthy stuff. But it will offend a lot of reliable voters.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:40 PM

Resorting to stereotype reinforcing “jokes” is not a meme.

Whether is Harris and her ganja joke at the expense of the heritage of her father’s side or this and his math schtick.

You accept the negative when you accept the positive.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK View Post
How is "there's lots of asian doctors" guerrilla warfare in a meme world? Did you mean to address criticism of his giveaway announcement? Because that's viral and YouTube worthy stuff. But it will offend a lot of reliable voters.
I mean that he's doing what he can to gain attention, even if it's potentially negative. I don't take Yang seriously as a possible front-of-the-pack candidate, but it's clear that he knows how to use modern media to market himself. He's done that arguably as well as any candidate running. He's willing to risk alienating some voters because he needs voters to know he exists in the first place. He can always apologize and change his position later.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Yang has a lot of good ideas. Unfortunately, he has a few too many nutty ideas.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:48 PM

Zach Graumann, Yang's campaign manager, released some stats about the debate:

Quote:
Despite speaking the least amount of time last debate:

$1m raised
450k email entries
3x more web traffic than all other candidates

We are playing a different game. And it’s working.
The Yang2020 website has the number of entries by state. One of the Yang Gangers calculated that by population size. It's amazlingly proportional by population in pretty much every state across the country. There are also stories of how the money would be used by some of the entries.

Politico reported Andrew Yang’s campaign says over 450,000 people have entered debate contest

Quote:
Andrew Yang’s surprising debate gambit — giving away $120,000 to 10 families over a year to highlight his universal basic income proposal — helped the outsider candidate raise $1 million in the 72 hours since the debate and collect more than 450,000 email addresses from people who entered the online raffle, the presidential campaign told POLITICO.

The campaign said that over 90 percent of the email addresses are new, a huge expansion of the candidate's email list. He also gained more Twitter followers over the course of the debate than any other candidate.
Early indications were already positive. The day after the debate, some sources were reporting that Yang's campaign website got 116K hits minutes after the announcement and got donations of $120K within hours.

Yang had the biggest increase of twitter followers than any other candidate. His sub count increased as well. Since my last update, twitter followers increased roughly 100K to 850K. Subs on Reddit increased to 64.3K (increasing 300 while I composed this note) People online at the sub also increased from a high of 3K to a high of 5K over the weekend. Yang's Google searches were the highest or second highest after the debate. Biden was highest at times with the search word record player.

Yang celebrating at the debate party.

The day after the debate, there were multiple reports in the Yang subreddit of people saying that instead of them having to ask people about Yang, everyone in their workplace or school was talking about him to each other and to them.

Alexis Ohanian, co-founder of Reddit, offered to pay the $120K if the Yang campaign was disallowed.

Quote:
Hey @AndrewYang I like this idea so much I'll do it personally for those 10 people if you can't.

We talk about the future of AI often at @Initialized -- our nation needs to start exploring ways to adapt to the massive automation shift that's already happening.
Yang replied "Alexis you are a class act my friend. Will call you soon. Thank you."

Multiple people have offered to give one or two people the equivalent of a Freedom Dividend over the course of the campaign. Justin Sun offered to pay for 100 people. They haven't done it yet because of campaign finance laws.

From the SF Chronicle, Pundits laugh at Andrew Yang. Regular people don’t

Quote:
The Yang Thang is on a roll.

Democratic presidential candidate and businessman Andrew Yang’s call to give every American a $1,000-a-month “freedom dividend” may be getting short shrift from pundits, but it has struck a chord with voters, who feel they rarely see a dime of their tax dollars coming back to them.
. . . .
I keep running into regular people who ask how to contact Yang. He’s connecting on a level we rarely see in politics.
A few people felt that the politicians on the debate stage were laughing at them (the people who needed the money). On twitter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey Lulla
It’s easy to laugh off @AndrewYang and his #FreedomDividend when you’re a politician or news anchor who’s net worth is in the multi millions. 1k is pennies to them. 1k/mo for the average American would literally change lives. Let me share:
On Reddit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by __Joshua__
But NO...they laugh. We think they were laughing at Yang giving money to 10 families across the country, but who they were really laughing at is us.

They don’t trust us to handle our own business and our own needs. When they snickered, they laughed at the homeless, they laughed at the needy, they laughed at those living paycheck to paycheck.
Some nice remarks from people on the debate:

Ezra Klein of VOX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezra Klein
Outright defenses of the benefits of immigration are way too rare. America has no greater advantage than the millions of people who want to come here, work hard, and contribute their energy and ingenuity to this country. We should take them up on it. Yang's answer here was great.
Cenk Uygur of TYT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cenk Uygur
All of these snarky attacks on Democracy Dollars from idiots in establishment who support wholesale corruption in our politics. In reality, this proposal is one of the best policies of the 2020 election cycle. It empowers real people to compete with big money donors. #DemDebate

David Pakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Pakman
I'm seeing some "political analysts" claiming Kamala Harris OBVIOUSLY won tonight...what debate did you watch? @ewarren did really well. @AndrewYang had his best debate so far.
Lawrence Lessig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Lessig
Brilliant piece by Philip Howard. But let's not forget that @AndrewYang is also the most aggressive campaign finance reformer left on stage. That too is a critical part of fixing government
Yang was the top rated Presidential candidate at Equal Citizens, Lawrence Lessig's group.

On Yang's supporters, a Newsweek journalist notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Zhao
. @AndrewYang's supporters are legit the most reasonable, civil and polite group of people I've ever encountered on Twitter... By a very long mile #YangGang

So unusual in this political climate..
On Yang's donors, some of the Yang Gang are wondering why Pete Buttigieg spending $300K to charter private jets to travel to campaign events is not frowned upon but Yang giving money to the American people is. Most people in this thread were proud to give to this cause and gave more after hearing the announcement. Some considered starting a Gofundme campaign for the funds.

Over the weekend, there was a drama with Shane Gillis, a new hire on SNL. A video surfaced where he was making racial slurs. Yang was the target of one of the slurs. Yang reached out to Gillis and offered to talk. He also suggested that Gillis be offered forgiveness and not fired. SNL fired Gillis on Monday. Yang reported that Gillis did reach out to him to talk. CNN's interview with Yang, partially on that topic, is now trending on youtube.

On the day of the debate, a podcast released at the NYT that, to me, exemplifies the campaign. A journalist, Kevin Roose, had interviewed Yang at the start of his campaign, wrote an article about it, calling Yang's campaign a longer-than-long-shot. [Zach Graumann used that phrase to fire up the campaign and create benchmarks for the campaign team] Since then, the journalist revisited Yang since Yang is polling higher than that designation would allow, to try to understand what he missed.

Here's what Kevin Roose missed.

Quote:
The episode ended where it began, with Kevin articulating what he failed to foresee in his article back in 2018, when he called Yang’s platform a longshot.

“Since then, he’s been able to turn it into a discussion about what it means to be a human — about what we would do if we weren’t so worried about making ends meet,” Kevin explained. “And I think that’s the part that I didn’t see when I first met him was that this argument — this sort of wonky economics argument about automation and U.B.I. and G.D.P. and all these other three-letter acronyms — that he could make it appeal to people on an emotional level by saying this is not just about giving you free money. But instead, he’s saying it’s not about the money. It’s about what the money can allow you to do. And that’s the part that I think I missed.”
The day before the debate, Ted Cruz challenged Yang to a basketball matchup. A Yang Ganger told Cruz that he should challenge Yang at basketball (since there were reports of Yang warming up on the courts before the debate. Cruz responded with "Sorry. You gotta poll at 5% or more to play on my court." Yang included a screen shot of a 5% poll and challenged Cruz. "Ted I would be delighted to beat you in basketball." Cruz offered to play with 3 of his staff on his team. Yang countered to play one on one.

A couple fun things (to me anyway). A guy created a huge replica of a math hat and put it on top of his van. Another Yang Ganger created an anime video on Yang. It's amazingly well done. I am in total awe. But wut? Still, the creativity and ingenuity of the Yang Gang continues to amaze me.

Yang held a rally in Boston today. It looked like it was well-attended.

Tomorrow, 9/17/19, there will be another rally in Philadelphia, PA at at 6:30PM.

Then on Thursday, 9/19/19, Yang is scheduled to be on Seth Meyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
As a moderator, I want to give you a 'well done' for this. This sort of action is exactly how spin offs should be handled. Thanks for doing so.
Thanks, Jonathan Chance.

Last edited by Heffalump and Roo; 09-16-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:42 AM

Wow, Yang got lots of web traffic after announcing a big cash give away? Innovative guerrilla tactics.