Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Current rumors are the whistleblower complaint is that Trump was blackmailing Ukraine into sabotaging Biden's campaign.
CNN is just reporting that there were multiple instances of whistleblower concern, not just one phone call with a "promise" of something.
Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
CNN is just reporting that there were multiple instances of whistleblower concern, not just one phone call with a "promise" of something.
Update on the CNN website:

The latest on the Trump whistleblower mystery

Quote:
Whistleblower concerns were over multiple acts involving Trump, sources say

The intelligence inspector general told the House intelligence committee today that the whistleblower complaint raised issues with multiple instances involving President Trump, sources tell CNN.

Inspector General Michael Atkinson did not get into the substance of the complaint, the source said. CNN had earlier reported, citing a source familiar, that the complaint dealt with a phone call between the President and a foreign leader but the inspector general suggested there was more than one action.
Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Didn't we know that?
Big difference between speculating that Trump delayed military aid for corrupt reasons and his saying so on tape.
Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Obama called foreign leaders too. So there.
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

I love that Trump doesn't know what the word "ultimate" means.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Yesterday at 03:16 PM. Reason: fixed timing
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
I haven't heard this one. Are you sure you're not thinking of the aircraft carrier catapults? They're going to a new design that uses electromagnetics, but I've heard Trump doesn't like that and wants them to go back to using steam-powered catapults.
Sorry, I'm afraid you've been slightly whooshed, but yeah, it's a riff on that.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

The ACTING DNI Joseph Maguire is REFUSING to divulge ANY information or cooperate with the House Intelligence Committee.

It looks like ONCE AGAIN, the Orange Shitstain is betraying his country and ONCE AGAIN his toadies in the Retrumpican party are complicit.

This is treason.

AGAIN.
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Can you give details? Some of us aren't in a position to watch a video.

However, this comment was left on that page... I really like it.
Quote:
Trump has two parts of brain, 'left' and 'right'.
In the left side, there's nothing right.
In the right side, there's nothing left.
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM

For you, ThelmaLou, of course I'll transcribe:
Trump: Well there are many options, as you know, Phil; there are many options. There's the ultimate option, and there are options that a lot less than that.

Phil: When you say "the ultimate option" are you talking about nuclear—

Trump: No, when I say the ultimate option meaning go in, war- no, I'm not talking about that, I'm not talking about that ultimate option.
Then Colbert makes fun of him.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Yesterday at 05:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Current rumors are the whistleblower complaint is that Trump was blackmailing Ukraine into sabotaging Biden's campaign.
Uh... must have missed some news. In what way would Ukraine do that? Is there some Biden Ukraine connection that I have missed?
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
Uh... must have missed some news. In what way would Ukraine do that? Is there some Biden Ukraine connection that I have missed?
The rumors were accurate.

"A whistleblower complaint about President Trump made by an intelligence official centers on Ukraine, according to two people familiar with the matter, which has set off a struggle between Congress and the executive branch."

And from here:

"According to government officials who handle foreign policy in the United States and Ukraine, Mr. Giuliani’s efforts created the impression that the Trump administration’s willingness to back Mr. Zelensky was linked to his government’s readiness to in turn pursue the investigations sought by Mr. Trump’s allies."

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; Yesterday at 07:18 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
For you, ThelmaLou, of course I'll transcribe:
Trump: Well there are many options, as you know, Phil; there are many options. There's the ultimate option, and there are options that a lot less than that.

Phil: When you say "the ultimate option" are you talking about nuclearó

Trump: No, when I say the ultimate option meaning go in, war- no, I'm not talking about that, I'm not talking about that ultimate option.
Then Colbert makes fun of him.
Thank you.

What a doofus.

I'll bet he would really have fun with the word penultimate. I'm guessing he'd think it was the ultimate penis or something.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
The rumors were accurate.

"A whistleblower complaint about President Trump made by an intelligence official centers on Ukraine, according to two people familiar with the matter, which has set off a struggle between Congress and the executive branch."

And from here:

"According to government officials who handle foreign policy in the United States and Ukraine, Mr. Giulianiís efforts created the impression that the Trump administrationís willingness to back Mr. Zelensky was linked to his governmentís readiness to in turn pursue the investigations sought by Mr. Trumpís allies."
Thanks. So this is about Hunter Biden. Joes son.
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks. So this is about Hunter Biden. Joes son.
Yeah. Here's the rundown:

"Some suspect Mr. Trump is once again catering to Mr. Putin, who is dedicated to undermining Ukrainian democracy and independence. But weíre reliably told that the president has a second and more venal agenda: He is attempting to force Mr. Zelensky to intervene in the 2020 U.S. presidential election by launching an investigation of the leading Democratic candidate, Joe Biden. Mr. Trump is not just soliciting Ukraineís help with his presidential campaign; he is using U.S. military aid the country desperately needs in an attempt to extort it.

The strong-arming of Mr. Zelensky was openly reported to the New York Times last month by Mr. Trumpís personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani, who said he had met in Madrid with a close associate of the Ukrainian leader and urged that the new government restart an investigation of Mr. Biden and his son. Hunter Biden served on the board of a Ukrainian gas company, while Joe Biden, as vice president, urged the dismissal of Ukraineís top prosecutor, who investigated the firm.

Mr. Giuliani also wants a probe of claims that revelations of payments by a Ukrainian political party to Mr. Trumpís 2016 campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, were part of a plot to wreck Mr. Trumpís candidacy. In other words, Trump associates want the Ukrainian government to prove that Ukraine improperly acted against Mr. Trump in the 2016 election; but they also want it to meddle in his favor for 2020."
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

Quote:
...Mr. Giuliani also wants a probe of claims that revelations of payments by a Ukrainian political party to Mr. Trumpís 2016 campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, were part of a plot to wreck Mr. Trumpís candidacy. In other words, Trump associates want the Ukrainian government to prove that Ukraine improperly acted against Mr. Trump in the 2016 election; but they also want it to meddle in his favor for 2020."[/I]
Gawd. Trump is still mad that he lost the popular vote. And is still using Giuliani.
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

Lucky us, we've lived through the election of the worst possible candidate for POTUS. Lot's of stories to tell our descendants. "I remember back in the day...we sat on our asses and didn't vote because politics didn't effect me and both sides were bad...etc." Reality TV shows were all the rage. "Who could have thought a reality show star would make a bad president? "

Last edited by River Hippie; Yesterday at 07:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Oh, my god. Never tell me public outcry doesn't have an impact on what happens in our politics!

Apparently the 'Moscow Mitch' moniker irritated McConnell so much that today he finally reversed his stance on withholding funds to fight election interference and will allow this to go ahead.

Just reported on Maddow.

Tiniest thing, but damn, they're getting nervous!

ETA: I'm not going to stop referring to him as Moscow Mitch, though.

Last edited by Aspenglow; Yesterday at 08:08 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

Giuliani is currently on CNN saying that if Trump did do this, it was fine to do.
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Gawd. Trump is still mad that he lost the popular vote. And is still using Giuliani.
Nah. Giuliani is using Trump. If it wasnít for his Trump connection, Rudy would be in a rest home in Florida doing needlepoint.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

I was thinking Trump promised Putin that he wouldn't interfere if Vlad wanted to take the rest of Ukraine. In exchange for more election help, of course. Which got me to more thinking. What if Trump actually looked the other way for something as outrageous as that? Nothing, I'm guessing.
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Nah. Giuliani is using Trump. If it wasnít for his Trump connection, Rudy would be in a rest home in Florida doing needlepoint.
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
Oh, my god. Never tell me public outcry doesn't have an impact on what happens in our politics!

Apparently the 'Moscow Mitch' moniker irritated McConnell so much that today he finally reversed his stance on withholding funds to fight election interference and will allow this to go ahead.

Just reported on Maddow.

Joe Scarborough 1, Yertle the Turtle 0
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM

Giuliani: I never asked Ukraine to intervene in the Biden investigation. Hell yes, I asked Ukraine to intervene in the Biden investigation.
https://www.mediaite.com/news/must-w...cnn-interview/
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Giuliani: I never asked Ukraine to intervene in the Biden investigation. Hell yes, I asked Ukraine to intervene in the Biden investigation.
Cocaine's a hell of a drug
Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Oh ffs, CNN has really become the professional wrestling network of politics. And I say this as a dyed-in-the-wool Trump-hating lefty. I kept watching that train wreck just to see if Jake "The Snake" Tapper would bust in and take out that Rudy-Poo Candy-Ass with a steel chair and a box full of thumb tacks.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; Yesterday at 10:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Yeah. Here's the rundown:

"Some suspect Mr. Trump is once again catering to Mr. Putin, who is dedicated to undermining Ukrainian democracy and independence. But weíre reliably told that the president has a second and more venal agenda: He is attempting to force Mr. Zelensky to intervene in the 2020 U.S. presidential election by launching an investigation of the leading Democratic candidate, Joe Biden. Mr. Trump is not just soliciting Ukraineís help with his presidential campaign; he is using U.S. military aid the country desperately needs in an attempt to extort it.

The strong-arming of Mr. Zelensky was openly reported to the New York Times last month by Mr. Trumpís personal lawyer, Rudolph W. Giuliani, who said he had met in Madrid with a close associate of the Ukrainian leader and urged that the new government restart an investigation of Mr. Biden and his son. Hunter Biden served on the board of a Ukrainian gas company, while Joe Biden, as vice president, urged the dismissal of Ukraineís top prosecutor, who investigated the firm.

Mr. Giuliani also wants a probe of claims that revelations of payments by a Ukrainian political party to Mr. Trumpís 2016 campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, were part of a plot to wreck Mr. Trumpís candidacy. In other words, Trump associates want the Ukrainian government to prove that Ukraine improperly acted against Mr. Trump in the 2016 election; but they also want it to meddle in his favor for 2020."

Of course this would result in impeachment if the Republican in the Senate were at all concerned about the constitution or even the country.

Quote:
Giuliani is currently on CNN saying that if Trump did do this, it was fine to do.

And absolutely horrendous if Obama had done it.
Old Today, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Video on YouTube

Holy fuck! This is a monumental meltdown!

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Today at 12:36 AM.
Old Today, 02:13 AM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post

Just reported on Maddow.

What this suggests to me is that MM has gotten word that the fix is in, and Putin's cronies have their hooks firmly embedded in the US electoral machinery. So no harm in releasing the funds, since the effect is the same as securing the henhouse when the fox is already inside.

(I'd be ecstatic to be wrong.)
Old Today, 02:32 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

That was my take also.
Old Today, 06:39 AM

This would be the end of any of the first 44 presidencies. He extorted a foreign power to investigate a political rival's son. If Obama did this, I'd be in favor of his removal from office. The truth is coming out leak by leak, drip by drip. What will Republicans do? Susan Collins will say she's deeply troubled and then sit on her hands. Moscow Mitch will say since the funds were released there is nothing to the story. Lindsey Graham will wipe the orange semen from his chin and say nothing to see here, move right along.
Old Today, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

So, Trump is pressuring Ukraine to interfere in the general election.

Obvious question: how extreme is cooperation w/ his friends who don’t need to be blackmailed: Russia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea, Israel?
Old Today, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
... What will Republicans do? ...
I got 20 bucks that says Republicans will obstruct, withhold, defend, and lie.
Old Today, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I got 20 bucks that says Republicans will obstruct, withhold, defend, and lie.
By the time this presidency is over, that might be worth only 10.
Old Today, 07:57 AM

CNN has posted the entire 10:47 interview with Rudy Giuliani. It's a fairly epic meltdown.
Old Today, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Reminds me a bit of the Monty Python argument sketch, though the writers would have rejected it for being too absurd.
Old Today, 10:43 AM

Giuliani is following the psycho say everything strategy. Cover ALL the bases. That way, when confronted about what he said, he can come back with: What I said was...
Old Today, 10:57 AM
Luminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Your ignorance is astounding. Yertle is a fictional turtle who has integrity and empathy. Conflating the name of an honorable turtle with Mitch McConnel is symptomatic of an IQ at a vegetative level.
Old Today, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Duality View Post
Your ignorance is astounding. Yertle is a fictional turtle who has integrity and empathy. Conflating the name of an honorable turtle with Mitch McConnel is symptomatic of an IQ at a vegetative level.
Point taken. I apologize to Yertle, his friends, relatives, and all turtles everywhere, including The Turtles and anyone who has ever been happy together.

Wonít happen again.
Old Today, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yertle has integrity and empathy?. Did we read the same picture book? Granted, he’s no Moscow Mitch, but he’s a dick nonetheless.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; Today at 11:45 AM.
Old Today, 11:58 AM

Aye, Yertle was a dick; he caused and then ignored the pain and suffering of his people in order to foster his own ambition. Kinda like Moscow Mitch, eh.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; Today at 11:59 AM.