Old 08-26-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
I think they're saying that all other beers they've tried tasted like water rather than beer.
So - "Sam Adams: the beer for people who have ruined their tastebuds"?

Ok.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:37 AM

The one that drives me crazy every time I see it is the State Farm she-shed commercial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffs4gSJjjV4

Hit by lightning? Please, the house and tall trees in the background aren't even touched. The guy obviously isn't even trying to put the fire out, and that little drizzle of water from the hose wouldn't do any good anyway. And he's horrified when the wife finds out she can get a new chi-chi-er she-shed.

I'm sorry lady but you married an arsonist! Your new she-shed is likely to get "struck by lightning" too!
Old 08-26-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
I don't get this commercial.

I'm not a beer drinker, but every time I have had a beer, I could taste it (I don't like it, but I can certainly taste it.) It is never like I'm drinking air. What's wrong with these people?
The only thing I can think of when I see this commercial is a certain episode of a podcast called "Pod Is My Copilot," in which one of the hosts tells a story about an incident they witnessed at a bar that ended with a very similar phrase ("I can taste your beer.").
Old 08-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post

I'm sorry lady but you married an arsonist! Your new she-shed is likely to get "struck by lightning" too!
I know! And when she calls the insurance agent, she says, "Well, it finally happened, Zachary..."
This has happened before!

Last edited by Dung Beetle; 08-27-2019 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Tenses making me tense
Old 08-27-2019, 10:56 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
This has happened before!
No, that would have been "It happened again, Zachary!"

What she says does indicate, though, that there have been threats or things building up to this; possibly kidnapper-style cut-out letter notes to the effect of "I'm gonna burn down your she-shed." It's a much darker commercial than it appears to be at first glance.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hit by lightning? Please, the house and tall trees in the background aren't even touched. The guy obviously isn't even trying to put the fire out, and that little drizzle of water from the hose wouldn't do any good anyway. And he's horrified when the wife finds out she can get a new chi-chi-er she-shed.
Huh. And I thought the word was "she-she-er". Had to look that up. Now why would she want an "overelaborately pretentious" she shed?
Old 08-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

This Foster Farms chicken commercial. They're dancing around, all happy to be free range.

I'm definnitely a carnivore, but all the same I'm not super wild about watching anthropomorphized animals that are going to get killed so I can eat them. I expected the end tag line to be "Simply Raised. Simply Slaughtered."
Old 08-28-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
This Foster Farms chicken commercial. They're dancing around, all happy to be free range.

I'm definnitely a carnivore, but all the same I'm not super wild about watching anthropomorphized animals that are going to get killed so I can eat them. I expected the end tag line to be "Simply Raised. Simply Slaughtered."
Nobody complained about Charlie the tuna campaigning to be caught in a net and canned. The happy, dancing chickens are just the latest yummy animals proud of how tasty they are.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Nobody complained about Charlie the tuna campaigning to be caught in a net and canned. The happy, dancing chickens are just the latest yummy animals proud of how tasty they are.
I dunno, a cartoon tuna is one thing, but high resolution f/x dancing chickens are another. YMMV.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
I dunno, a cartoon tuna is one thing, but high resolution f/x dancing chickens are another. YMMV.
Well, MY mileage doesn't vary! Extremely creepy!
Old 08-29-2019, 11:32 AM

Well, I'm not particularly a fan of food begging to be eaten, but I think it's funny. Good editing to look like boy band moves.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:41 AM

I'm getting annoyed by the GrubHub commercials. What profligate waste. I mean, the first one the guy is apparently having a couple friends over, so he orders a couple thousand dollars worth of take out from everywhere at once. The second one is worse - they're working at the office on some architectural project, decide to order lunch as a group, and suddenly the architectural project is trash to be dumped on the floor so some guy can standing-jump to the table top and prance around. *sigh*

And I don't get the hate for BrandPower commercials. They're straight up information about the products. Sure, they're the advertiser's words, not writ from on high or findings in technical journals, but they're straightforward descriptions of the products. Isn't that what we long for, instead of stupid nonsense marketing to our fears and desires and cravings?
Old 09-01-2019, 03:18 PM

I listen to radio far more than I watch TV. Other than the insane ravings of the used car dealer--I can't believe that genre of commercial is still around--the most annoying are the commercials that pretend to disguise themselves as news reports. Here's the trusted news reporter who is interviewing a person about how wonderful their service is. Except the reporter is not one of the radio personalities on this station, and the "news report" and accompanying music is nothing like the station's.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

"Let's talk about Haribo gummy bears!"

"Let's choke on Haribo gummy bears!"

"Let's jump off a skyscraper onto a pile of Haribo gummy bears!"

"Let's set ourselves on fire and roll around in Haribo gummy bears!"

"Let's shove poisoned Haribo gummy bears up each other's bottoms!"

...just some thoughts of mine...
Old 09-03-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

The commercial could be greatly improved with "Let's talk about Haribo Sugar-free Gummy Bears!", followed by a reading of the top Amazon reviews for the product.

^_^
Old 09-03-2019, 10:31 AM

I saw a bad one last night. A little girl wouldn't eat her dinner so Daddy holds up a handful of French fries. So she takes a tiny little bite of broccolli and Daddy hands over the fries and the whole family is happy and smiling. The whole point of the commercial was "bribe your children to eat healthy food with greasy starchy fries!"

I know how my kids would have acted if we were dumb enough to try that. They would have refused to eat anything on their plates unless they were promised French fries and would have found a way to eat dinner one molecule at a time so that they'd get 99.9% fries and .1% actual food.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
The commercial could be greatly improved with "Let's talk about Haribo Sugar-free Gummy Bears!", followed by a reading of the top Amazon reviews for the product.

^_^
Then the commercial cuts to the bathroom where the squeaky noises are NOT overdubbed baby voices!
Old 09-03-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I saw a bad one last night. A little girl wouldn't eat her dinner so Daddy holds up a handful of French fries. So she takes a tiny little bite of broccolli and Daddy hands over the fries and the whole family is happy and smiling. The whole point of the commercial was "bribe your children to eat healthy food with greasy starchy fries!"

I know how my kids would have acted if we were dumb enough to try that. They would have refused to eat anything on their plates unless they were promised French fries and would have found a way to eat dinner one molecule at a time so that they'd get 99.9% fries and .1% actual food.
In addition, every time parents do this, they are further cementing the idea in their kids' heads that "healthy = unpleasant" and "unhealthy = delicious"
Old 09-03-2019, 11:28 AM

Very good point!
Old 09-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Red Robin. Bunch of diners BLISSFULLY shoving fries into their maws, eyes closed in ecstasy. Like some rare and delicious treat. Oily voice boasting 'non-stop fries, plate after plate'. Well, I suppose there are a lot of big empty stomaches out there that need a lot of filling up. I imagine it draws them in while costing Red Robin next to nothing.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
Red Robin. Bunch of diners BLISSFULLY shoving fries into their maws, eyes closed in ecstasy. Like some rare and delicious treat. Oily voice boasting 'non-stop fries, plate after plate'. Well, I suppose there are a lot of big empty stomaches out there that need a lot of filling up. I imagine it draws them in while costing Red Robin next to nothing.
And RR fries are not very good, IMHO.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:20 PM

As if you need another reason to skip the fries, they can make you go blind.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:00 PM

One of the Buick commercials that has been running for some time in a vain effort to convince us that people under the age of 75 actually desire such vehicles, has been edited to close with the suggestion to "kick off football season by buying a new Buick".

Why? I can watch football at home, no problemo. A new TV maybe.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:33 AM

A truck commercial that claims that truck drivers are a special breed who know how to work. Pick-up truck drivers work and work and work and work some more. The last two lines of the commercial are "We work until the work is DONE, sleep a few hours, wake up and maybe get a little work done." Look pick up truck drivers, either you work until the work is done or you maybe get a little work done. I can't see how you can do both.

This commercial annoys the heck out of me. Firstly-- no. Truck drivers are not special people who alone understand the value of hard work and secondly-- didn't the writers see that what they wrote made little sense? Especially since that last line is spoken like it's supposed to be some kind of stinger. Ugh!
Old 09-06-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

The pickup truck ad that gets at me is the one that brags about having the most cargo volume. Since the traditional method of comparing truck's cargo hauling capabilities has been weight, that seems a baldfaced attempt to gloss over a deficiency but still have something to claim to be the best at. It's like taking home a test you got an F on, but pointing out to your mom how how good your handwriting was on it.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A truck commercial that claims that truck drivers are a special breed who know how to work.
You should have just stopped at "A truck commercial." They're ALL annoying as hell.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:13 PM

My hooha is full of joy.

I swear, the South Park writers had to have come up with this one!
Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Oh my God, she's got a singing hooha. RUN!!

I'm wondering just what dance competition circuit that little girl is going on that she keeps winning without knowing how to dance any formal styles.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Aw, you beat me to it, cochrane! I heard that one last night, but I didn't see it, as I was busy doing stuff.

Hilarious!
Old 09-12-2019, 12:52 PM

If you ever had a yeast infection, you'd know how full of joy your hooha would be when it's gone.

I've always wondered how it is Frank Thomas is a better actor than every single professional actor in every Ugenix (or however that testeroni drug is spelled) commercial he's in. I also wonder why everyone he meets has to call him "Frank Thomas" all the time, every time. Not 'Frank' or 'Mr. Thomas' but 'Frank Thomas', like he's Charlie Brown or something.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
The pickup truck ad that gets at me is the one that brags about having the most cargo volume.
Technically, any pickup truck without a topper has an infinite cargo volume.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Oh my God, she's got a singing hooha. RUN!!

I'm wondering just what dance competition circuit that little girl is going on that she keeps winning without knowing how to dance any formal styles.
It looked to me liek the routine from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Miss_Sunshine

And yeah, she was pretty bad, altho certainly she put her heart into it.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
If you ever had a yeast infection, you'd know how full of joy your hooha would be when it's gone.
Oh God yes!

Quote:
I've always wondered how it is Frank Thomas is a better actor than every single professional actor in every Ugenix (or however that testeroni drug is spelled) commercial he's in. I also wonder why everyone he meets has to call him "Frank Thomas" all the time, every time. Not 'Frank' or 'Mr. Thomas' but 'Frank Thomas', like he's Charlie Brown or something.
Nugenix, because the first time I heard it in the background I thought it was Eugenics, and I thought And now that you mention the Frank Thomas thing I'm going to notice it every time and it will bug me.

There's a worse "man booster" commercial out there that goes on and on about how modern men are less manly than their fathers and there's a "masculinity crisis" and it shows guys getting facials and crying at the movies instead of the real manly men who are working out and getting it on with the ladies. I think the guys who get facials and stuff are more manly than the target audience who are so worried about if they're manly enough that they spend $$$ on snake oil.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

The commercials for FanDuel have been getting to me lately. Here's a guy who is so addicted to using the service which lets him place bets of all sorts online that he is oblivious to, amongst other things, the fact that he just walked in on his wife about to have sex with someone else.

Gambling addiction is a serious problem, and they're using the idea of someone who is a gambling addict as a figure of fun to sell a service that lets him gamble more easily.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
It looked to me liek the routine from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Miss_Sunshine

And yeah, she was pretty bad, altho certainly she put her heart into it.
I agree--when I first saw that commercial my thought was that the owners of the rights to the movie had a cause of action for so direct a steal.

My second thought was that it's just a dumb message ('who needs skill or training or talent or hard work? just keep a smile on your face and muddle through and everyone will love you') that won't sell any product.

But of course I could be wrong. There may be a target audience that adores that message.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I've seen some car commercial this morning which features households full of increasingly bratty children...some of them are just whining, and some of them are slamming doors with a level of drama more suited to an anti-drug PSA. The commercial's tagline is something about there being room for everyone in the car. I'm not entirely sure why it's necessary to show how horrible these people act in their homes in order to show how much room there supposedly is in the car though.

On the other hand, I did hesitate to include it here because it's one heck of an ad for birth control.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Drug billboard for "managepainsafely.org" : Heroin is a opioid, and so are prescription painkillers..."

Really? You mean my 800mg Ibuprofen is a opioid?

Yeah, assholes, if you dont know enough about prescription painkillers to get your message right, then dont fucking bother, you are just spreading ignorance.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:56 PM

I hate all the Liberty Mutual commercials. Except now there is a new 'standing on the Brooklyn Promenade talking to the camera' one that makes me laugh despite myself. It features a somewhat full of himself actor who cannot remember the lines of the Liberty commercial he's in. At one point he looks very seriously into the camera and says, "Liberty Biberty" and it surprises snort out of me every time.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:15 PM

I dunno, I like the one with Zoltar the fortune teller. "Maybe you could free Zoltar?"

https://youtu.be/8VDrIOtyno8
Old 09-18-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hate all the Liberty Mutual commercials. Except now there is a new 'standing on the Brooklyn Promenade talking to the camera' one that makes me laugh despite myself. It features a somewhat full of himself actor who cannot remember the lines of the Liberty commercial he's in. At one point he looks very seriously into the camera and says, "Liberty Biberty" and it surprises snort out of me every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRREDL59u_o

That one is amusing!
Old 09-20-2019, 01:05 AM

This Downy commercial has a young man bringing his date home. The guy's clothes are all rumpled from wearing his seat belt. The girl's mother opens the door and sees the guy's wrinkled shirt and pants. She gives the guy a dirty look, pulls her daughter inside, and closes the door. Hey, lady, instead of jumping to conclusions, you should be happy the kids are wearing their seat belts.

https://youtu.be/WKOSibCsARA
Old 09-20-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
The continuing saga of morons cooing over Chevy products while the "guy" shows them meaningless stuff.
Like teen driver technology on a 4 banger car.

I have a teen drive tech idea; it's called seizing the car keys and cellphones.
Or you could report the car as stolen when they leave.

There are many ways to handle this.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 AM

So why is it "Lee-Mu Emu"? It isn't Lee-berty Mutual.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
This Downy commercial has a young man bringing his date home. The guy's clothes are all rumpled from wearing his seat belt. The girl's mother opens the door and sees the guy's wrinkled shirt and pants. She gives the guy a dirty look, pulls her daughter inside, and closes the door. Hey, lady, instead of jumping to conclusions, you should be happy the kids are wearing their seat belts.

https://youtu.be/WKOSibCsARA
I thought they were suggesting that the wrinkles made it look like there's a bulge in his trousers.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
I thought they were suggesting that the wrinkles made it look like there's a bulge in his trousers.
Yeah, I see that, the way the camera pans down to the guy's crotch.
Old 09-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

The so-bad-it-must-be-on-purpose Dave app commercial.

It seemed to me like this one went away a while back, but it seems to be back now.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
The same way we have Lima Peru and lima beans. Besides Lie-Mu Emu wouldn't rhyme.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintcharge View Post
It isn't. It's LiMu Emu.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2019, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Huh. And I thought the word was "she-she-er". Had to look that up. Now why would she want an "overelaborately pretentious" she shed?
According to the subtitles she says, "She Shi-er..."

Dennis
Old 09-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Why would anyone think this is a good idea?

Show a little toddler walk by herself thru a city with traffic, people, etc. Falling down while in a crosswalk in front of a bus.

Incredibly scary looking. It's just a little kid! No parent around watching let alone holding her hand. Egad.

What sort of idiots would think this is a good idea.

Oh, yeah. The perpetual winners for worst customer service. The people who don't see things from other people's point of view at all.

Comcast (who thinks using a different sub-name changes things).