Old 10-16-2019, 12:43 AM

Apparently I've got to start off saying I'm not a Trump supporter or it is assumed from posting in this thread. And I'll try to not disagree with the OP because disagreement is threadshitting.

But stop giving in to the temptation to imagine 'Trump voters' as being motivated by your worst imaginings. Wrong assumptions will lead to wrong conclusions and wrong actions.

Oh, wait, this is the Pit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I haven't heard anyone on the left advocate for allowing illegal (or undocumented) immigrants to vote.
Because they simply do it.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:47 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
I have no idea what is going on but it sure as hell looked to me like a moderator posted that, and I believe it was "Miller" or something.

Ive been posting from iPhone for weeks now, finally able to post from my mac today.

Dunno what's going on but im sure your bitch ass can make a thread about it and be wrong again.

What the fuck are you on about?
Old 10-16-2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You think I would have posted that if it was to you?
Old 10-16-2019, 01:22 AM

Quote:
He's a self-centered asshole troll, who is too stupid to realize that when he fucks up, he should just shut up. Instead, he thinks if he rolls in his own shit, he might distract us from his fuckups.

That's about it.
Old 10-16-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
I'm sure you know what conservative position is.
The question is whether you do.

Quote:
Hardcore left states refuse voter ID laws and refuse any kind of commission on voter fraud. They outright refuse any audit whatsoever.
I don't think that's true but if you're right, I am with you and against voter fraud. Sorry if I seem to be policing your language if I say I think phrases like "hardcore left" are kind of meaningless. I just think the emphasis on left v right crowds out even basic analysis too often for my tastes.
Quote:
They are also sanctuary states.
Some people call that, "We know they're from another country, but they work here, live here and we like them fine." What are we supposed to do, herd them all onto trains and drop them off in Mexico City?
Quote:
They are also the same states that use the overall population count (including illegal aliens) for their congressional representation.
Red states are allowed to adopt that strategy themselves. The Constitution says to count "illegal aliens". If the founders had meant "citizens" they would not have said "persons":
Quote:
Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons
Old 10-16-2019, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Speech. Rifles/guns. Religion. Illegal Immigration. Taxes. Im not gonna type a wall of text substantiating these as they are basic conservative tenants and you're a moderator, I'm sure you know what conservative position is.
Donít see a lot of conservatives these days. Lotsa reactionaries, but most of you are more radical than conservative.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale View Post
I find the "They enjoy it because it gives them a feeling of power, which compensates for the impotence they feel in response to a world that has changed without their input and permission." part particularly appalling, it's like someone complaining that the serfs got uppity, it positively oozes elitism.
Yeah, because lazy, mediocre bigoted, Qanon-believing Fox News-watching Birther, white people who think they deserve everything they ever wanted for free are SO oppressed.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Speech. Rifles/guns. Religion. Illegal Immigration. Taxes. Im not gonna type a wall of text substantiating these as they are basic conservative tenants and you're a moderator, I'm sure you know what conservative position is.
Well, you've convinced me. Those are certainly words, referring to things. And, apparently, "tenants" of your head.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-16-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Apparently I've got to start off saying I'm not a Trump supporter or it is assumed from posting in this thread. And I'll try to not disagree with the OP because disagreement is threadshitting.

But stop giving in to the temptation to imagine 'Trump voters' as being motivated by your worst imaginings. Wrong assumptions will lead to wrong conclusions and wrong actions.

i.e according to the article, dating to October last year, a total of 35 non-citizens had registered to vote in a local school board election, the only one in which they were permitted to participate. It was not clear from the article how many, if any, of the non-citizens were here illegally. Feel free to dial in an appropriate level of required outrage, from 0 to 5.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 10-16-2019 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Those aren't federal or state elections, just for school boards. It makes sense to me that the undocumented parents with citizen children have plenty of stake in the school system and should have a say in how the school is run.

Quote:
Speech. Rifles/guns. Religion. Illegal Immigration. Taxes. Im not gonna type a wall of text substantiating these as they are basic conservative tenants
These are convenient covers for racism, xenophobia, and bigotry. Conservatives want free speech to condemn the "other", weapons to terrorize them, the right to practice Christianity but no other religion, keeping the brown people out because they hate anyone who doesn't look like them, and low taxes so we can't afford to provide a safety net for those whom conservatives feel morally superior to.

Last edited by BobLibDem; 10-16-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:

THE SCHOOL BOARD?? Really?
Old 10-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margin View Post
Scoff if you must. But this is exactly how you end up with Spanish and various other non-American languages being spoken openly, in America.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Scoff if you must. But this is exactly how you end up with Spanish and various other non-American languages being spoken openly, in America.
Next thing you know, they are going to start teaching Arabic Numerals.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
He forgot *mic drop* at the end of that bombshell.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Next thing you know, they are going to start teaching Arabic Numerals.
Even worse, that terrorist math al-Gebra.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Class dismissed!

Just kidding, there was never any class involved.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:15 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
How is "the left" campaigning to "take power away from the citizens"? Give specifics, with substantiation.

Quote:
No, he's not.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Those aren't federal or state elections, just for school boards. It makes sense to me that the undocumented parents with citizen children have plenty of stake in the school system and should have a say in how the school is run.

These are convenient covers for racism, xenophobia, and bigotry. Conservatives want free speech to condemn the "other", weapons to terrorize them, the right to practice Christianity but no other religion, keeping the brown people out because they hate anyone who doesn't look like them, and low taxes so we can't afford to provide a safety net for those whom conservatives feel morally superior to.
Thatís pretty nutty. I suppose China would be a nice space?
Old 10-16-2019, 05:09 PM

I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, given the sheer fuckedupedness of the Trumpers with whom I've had the misfortune of conversing. Or attempting to.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I really can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, given the sheer fuckedupedness of the Trumpers with whom I've had the misfortune of conversing. Or attempting to.
It's just mouth-hole-noises. It's pretty much all they have at this point.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM

>Feel free to dial in an appropriate level of required outrage, from 0 to 5.

>Those aren't federal or state elections, just for school boards. It makes sense to me that the undocumented parents with citizen children have plenty of stake in the school system and should have a say in how the school is run.

>THE SCHOOL BOARD?? Really?

>Next thing you know, they are going to start teaching Arabic Numerals.
>Even worse, that terrorist math al-Gebra.

>etc.

Har, har.

School board in San Francisco (and Chicago), and the children don't have to be citizens to go to school (what, you think San Franciscans are barbarians?), and the ten Maryland cities are "local elections", not just school board elections.

also Wikipedia.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
i.e according to the article, dating to October last year, a total of 35 non-citizens had registered to vote in a local school board election, the only one in which they were permitted to participate. It was not clear from the article how many, if any, of the non-citizens were here illegally. Feel free to dial in an appropriate level of required outrage, from 0 to 5.
On a scale of, oh, letís say 10,000.
Old 10-16-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
There's gonna be even more outrage when it's revealed that there were actually 56 non-citizens registered to vote on Election Day.

Noncitizens Allowed to Vote in S.F. School Board Election, But Few Will

Also, I'm guessing that zero of these 56 people were here illegally. The article also states that

Quote:
...the city cannot guarantee privacy in this case. Voter registration information is public.
I would think that no illegal immigrant would want to put her/his name on a public record.

Last edited by Railer13; 10-16-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Fixed Link
Old 10-16-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
Also, I'm guessing that zero of these 56 people were here illegally. [...]
I would think that no illegal immigrant would want to put her/his name on a public record.
But... but then how does the secret Democratic strategy of getting more votes by allowing all the illegal immigrants in even work ?! Stoopid librulz !
Old 10-17-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Hardcore left states refuse voter ID laws and refuse any kind of commission on voter fraud.
Because the purpose of voter ID in the US is to suppress the votes of non-whites and Democrats, something the Republicans themselves have admitted. The Republicans lose interest in voter ID the instant a version that isn't racist and partisan is proposed.

And voter fraud is a fantasy of the Right.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Because the purpose of voter ID in the US is to suppress the votes of non-whites and Democrats, something the Republicans themselves have admitted. The Republicans lose interest in voter ID the instant a version that isn't racist and partisan is proposed.

And voter fraud is a fantasy of the Right.
Come on now.

Sometimes there are real examples of voter fraud.

Like illegally filling in absentee ballots

Or voting twice for president

Republicans are pretty sure that voter fraud exists. Because they do it.

ETA: Of course, voter ID would do nothing to fix the above.... But they don't give a shit about fixing Republican voter fraud.

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 10-17-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
... Sometimes there are real examples of voter fraud.

Like illegally filling in absentee ballots

Or voting twice for president

Republicans are pretty sure that voter fraud exists. Because they do it.

ETA: Of course, voter ID would do nothing to fix the above.... But they don't give a shit about fixing Republican voter fraud.
You missed one of the funniest examples of GOPsters who obsess about voter fraud, then willfully commit voter fraud themselves:
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
This story is old news but is too delicious not to repost.

Briefly, it involves former Colorado Republican Party chairman Steve Curtis who's a staunch opponent of voter fraud and said "every case of voter fraud I can remember in my lifetime was committed by Democrats." Recently felony charges were brought in Colorado against a voting fraudster(*) ó read the article to see if the fraudster was a Democrat, as Curtis predicted. (No, like most voter fraud it wouldn't have been prevented with ID. Are you having trouble following the discussion?)

* -
SPOILER:
Yes, you guess it! ó the felonious voting fraudster was ... Steve Curtis himself.
]
Old 10-20-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
...But stop giving in to the temptation to imagine 'Trump voters' as being motivated by your worst imaginings. Wrong assumptions will lead to ...
With all the shit Trump has pulled, why the fuck not???
Old 10-20-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
With all the shit Trump has pulled, why the fuck not???
Because they are right wing, and we are always supposed to pretend that right wingers are well meaning, rational, compassionate people no matter how blatantly they are otherwise. If a right winger walks up and stabs us, we are supposed to apologize for getting blood on his knife.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
Because they are right wing, and we are always supposed to pretend that right wingers are well meaning, rational, compassionate people no matter how blatantly they are otherwise. If a right winger walks up and stabs us, we are supposed to apologize for getting blood on his knife.
Oh yeah, cuz feelings.

Fuck their feelings.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Trump just said that there is no "Emoluments Clause" in the Constitution.
You still support Trump?
Old 10-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Of course they do. They don't give a fuck about the Constitution, except for the "right to bear arms" part.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Right, because he says the Constitution is "fake news," and they believe him.

Last edited by guizot; 10-21-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned before, as a group, Conservatives are extremely good at cherry-picking Bible verses, and the Constitution is no different. Hell, just look at how they completely ignore half of the second amendment!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
As I mentioned before, as a group, Conservatives are extremely good at cherry-picking Bible verses, and the Constitution is no different. Hell, just look at how they completely ignore half of the second amendment!
Hey, the Supreme Court said! And whatever the Supreme Court says, it's the Gospel. Unless it's about abortion, or gay marriage, or discrimination, or gerrymandering, etc, in which it's activist judges who shouldn't be taken seriously!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Nothing is being ignored. If anything the concept of the Constitution as a charter for a government is what is being ignored or dishonestly reframed as a document that gives rights to the governed. Boo!
Old 10-21-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

lolololololololololol

Actually, I agree with you. It's when the Constitution stops being a framework... and starts being policy... is where people really fuck up.

And it's been done with three items:

Slaves
Guns
Alcohol

The Constitution, properly written as a document for free peoples, should never have addressed these three items. Plain, pure, and simple.

Last edited by JohnT; 10-21-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
lolololololololololol

Actually, I agree with you. It's when the Constitution stops being a framework... and starts being policy... is where people really fuck up.

And it's been done with three items:

Slaves
Guns
Alcohol

The Constitution, properly written as a document for free peoples, should never have addressed these three items. Plain, pure, and simple.
Iím with you on slaves and alcohol. I donít see the problem with reinforcing the concept of the natural right of self defense.