Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
This implies that Trump has guile. Trump is guileless. And too stupid to know the meaning of the word.
I wish people would stop saying things like this. Underestimate your adversary at your own peril. Trump seems to be a narcissist, a bully, an authoritarian, a vulgarian. He is indecisive, a waffler, highly reactive and thin-skinned and no, I don't think he is a deep thinker or particularly well-educated on...well...most things.

But Trump is also con-man and a swindler of a businessman and you don't succeed at those things unless you have some guile. If he lacks anything, it is probably not that. Native cleverness, animal cunning, the ability to read a room - whatever you want to call it, Trump has that. He is also not an idiot. Brilliant? Hardly. A drooling moron? Not that, either. He's probably of average or a bit above average intelligence, with many, many blind spots but also some native ability as above.

Last edited by Tamerlane; 06-21-2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Well, he's proven one thing. He's above average in intelligence when compared to his supporters.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walken After Midnight View Post

Yes. More things that are planned. Add it to the pile.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Yes. More things that are planned. Add it to the pile.
I think we could eventually get there, but I want to see more public support for an impeachment before starting the proceedings. What I don't want is for him and his supporters to say that the economy was fine until we started impeachment. I mean they'll say that anyway, but I don't want him to be able to even remotely make that case to independent voters.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:42 PM

Just look at this wonderful picture. I think the boxing gloves on the dresser are a nice inclusion.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UL216
(Pelosi/Ocasio-Cortez meeting)
Old 07-27-2019, 09:37 AM

"With a month of victories, Pelosi shows who holds the reins in a fractious House"
https://wapo.st/2GxFset
Quote:
The House was already well on its way to passing a crucial budget agreement Thursday when Speaker Nancy Pelosi pulled aside Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer in a hallway outside the chamber.

Democrats had already cast 216 votes for the bill, Pelosi told Hoyer. But two more votes would send a message: that the party was so united, it could pass a compromise negotiated with President Trump and Republicans with an absolute majority of the House.

Moments after Hoyer walked onto the floor, three more Democrats voted for the bill — including two members of the liberal “Squad” of newly elected women — vividly demonstrating that despite the frequent turmoil in their ranks, Pelosi and her leadership team stand in firm control of House Democrats.

Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters afterward that she wanted to make a statement about her caucus’s unity, and at a news conference Friday, she held forth on her leadership of a rambunctious group.

“I consider myself a weaver,” she said, “just at the loom just making all of those threads come together in the boldest possible way.”
WTG, Nancy! Unity, or at least a show of unity, among Dems is critical right now.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:41 PM

Nice!
Old 10-17-2019, 04:29 PM

It's that time again! Time to notch another victory for Nancy Pelosi over the Dipshitticus Majoris president.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...wn-ncna1068301

Look at Pelosi, standing, towering over Trump, wagging her finger at him as though he were a petulant adolescent. It's almost as if you could write the caption "Widdle Donny, I'm grounding you until your grades improve."

Note how people to Trump's right have their heads down -- ashamed, no doubt.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
They have no shame.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:04 PM

I'd forgotten about this thread! You go, Nancy! Making this the background of her Twitter and Facebook homepages-- pure genius!

That photograph of Pelosi and Trump is a work of art. Some say it’s a masterpiece.
Quote:
If the image of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s White House meeting with President Trump had been a painting, some say it could have been a masterpiece. Something about the symmetry, the light, and the postures of the figures in the room turned ordinary people into art historians who were captivated by the strength of the composition.

“The juxtaposition of the direction the participants are leaning on opposite sides of the table is a strong dynamic,” rhapsodized one commenter on the Reddit forum called Accidental Renaissance.

“It’s the detail on all the faces that make it. Like the Last Supper,” wrote another.

There are familiar elements in the image. One is Pelosi’s stance, evocative of imagery found throughout art history. Standing with her right arm outstretched and her finger pointed, it’s an example of the adlocutio pose, which artists often portray heroes and leaders. Think of the famous sculptures and paintings of Augustus Ceasar, Napoleon, and George Washington. Pelosi’s detractors can rightfully argue that the same pose has been used to elevate controversial leaders in propaganda — you’ll find it in images of Chairman Mao and Kim Il-Sung.

The painting on the wall at the far side of the room, Charles Édouard Armand-Dumaresq’s “The Signing of the Declaration of Independence,” provides an eerie parallel, with several of the founding fathers depicted in the same position as Pelosi. And the figures leaning in on both side give the painting an intensity, with the perfect rows of white-haired men are reminiscent of early American political paintings. A bust of Benjamin Franklin looks on from the right corner.

“It’s all very stately. There’s a decorum to the image,” said Lipinski. “And that the classical setting is a reference to democracy and the republic and all of the iconography that’s part of our visual environment in the architectuire of Washington, D.C.”

The balance of the composition, too, is what makes it rather painterly.

It’s also an image with gravitas. Al Acres, chair of the Georgetown University department of art and art history, said the painting’s setting and context make it a clear example of the genre of history painting, which aims to capture definitive moments.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 10-17-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
It's that time again! Time to notch another victory for Nancy Pelosi over the Dipshitticus Majoris president.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...wn-ncna1068301

Look at Pelosi, standing, towering over Trump, wagging her finger at him as though he were a petulant adolescent. It's almost as if you could write the caption "Widdle Donny, I'm grounding you until your grades improve."

Ive heard it reported that as she was standing and pointing she was admonishing Trump about how all of the roads he takes lead to Putin. That could explain why the military guys sitting on Trump's side seem to be inspecting their laps.

Last edited by bobot; 10-17-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM

They're texting their boss's kids: THE JIG IS UP. SHE KNOWS. MEET IN VIENNA.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
“It’s the detail on all the faces that make it. Like the Last Supper,” wrote another.
Aggggh, God, here we go with the "Chosen One" meme again.

Cheeto Christ Stupid Czar 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Old 10-17-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMurdock View Post
Aggggh, God, here we go with the "Chosen One" meme again.

Cheeto Christ Stupid Czar 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Well, don't forget what happened after the Last Supper...

I guess this picture could be titled, "Nancy and Donald's Come to Jesus Meeting with Nancy as Jesus."

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 10-17-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Well, don't forget what happened after the Last Supper...
Donny Christ skips out on the check?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:15 PM

A self-own indeed!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:35 PM

I've pointed it out before, Nancy knows how to fucking roll this guy. She's the only one -- the only one -- who consistently does it. She has absolutely dominated him.

Trump's advisors must know going forward that every time Nancy comes over to the White House it's going to end in disaster. If I were his advisors - and I'm glad I'm not - I would be advising him to keep her as far away from the WH as possible. She sets traps just by visiting. I am in absolute awe of this woman.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I've pointed it out before, Nancy knows how to fucking roll this guy. She's the only one -- the only one -- who consistently does it. She has absolutely dominated him.

Trump's advisors must know going forward that every time Nancy comes over to the White House it's going to end in disaster. If I were his advisors - and I'm glad I'm not - I would be advising him to keep her as far away from the WH as possible. She sets traps just by visiting. I am in absolute awe of this woman.
The beauty of it is that one of FPT's* many character flaws is that he just can't resist.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:26 PM

I don’t know if Time Magazine Person of the Year carries the cachet it once did, but if they gave it out today she’s a shoo-in.
Old 10-17-2019, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Yep. I said this before the SDMB became her fan club, when many were posting "Too old" "give a progressive a chance" "too controversial".
Old 10-18-2019, 01:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I'd forgotten about this thread! You go, Nancy! Making this the background of her Twitter and Facebook homepages-- pure genius!

That photograph of Pelosi and Trump is a work of art. Some say it’s a masterpiece.
Quote:
If the image of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s White House meeting with President Trump had been a painting, some say it could have been a masterpiece. Something about the symmetry, the light, and the postures of the figures in the room turned ordinary people into art historians who were captivated by the strength of the composition.

“The juxtaposition of the direction the participants are leaning on opposite sides of the table is a strong dynamic,” rhapsodized one commenter on the Reddit forum called Accidental Renaissance.

There are familiar elements in the image. One is Pelosi’s stance, evocative of imagery found throughout art history. Standing with her right arm outstretched and her finger pointed, it’s an example of the adlocutio pose, which artists often portray heroes and leaders. Think of the famous sculptures and paintings of Augustus Ceasar, Napoleon, and George Washington. Pelosi’s detractors can rightfully argue that the same pose has been used to elevate controversial leaders in propaganda — you’ll find it in images of Chairman Mao and Kim Il-Sung.

The painting on the wall at the far side of the room, Charles Édouard Armand-Dumaresq’s “The Signing of the Declaration of Independence,” provides an eerie parallel, with several of the founding fathers depicted in the same position as Pelosi. And the figures leaning in on both side give the painting an intensity, with the perfect rows of white-haired men are reminiscent of early American political paintings. A bust of Benjamin Franklin looks on from the right corner.

“It’s all very stately. There’s a decorum to the image,” said Lipinski. “And that the classical setting is a reference to democracy and the republic and all of the iconography that’s part of our visual environment in the architectuire of Washington, D.C.”

The balance of the composition, too, is what makes it rather painterly.

It’s also an image with gravitas. Al Acres, chair of the Georgetown University department of art and art history, said the painting’s setting and context make it a clear example of the genre of history painting, which aims to capture definitive moments.
I wonder how much Jon McNaughton* would want for a commission to reproduce it in oils?

*Google him.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 10-18-2019 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
(If true, how do we explain her continued employment? She's a mole, trying to track or reduce the damage?)
Money, dear boy.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:

If I were one of his advisors, I'd quit before his corrupt traitorous bullshit landed my ass in prison. I would NEVER go under the bus for him.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
If I were one of his advisors, I'd quit before his corrupt traitorous bullshit landed my ass in prison. I would NEVER go under the bus for him.
Not exactly obligatory, but a nice illustration of the truth of that...

Old 10-20-2019, 09:53 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:

Yep. I, for one, was quite disappointed that when the jackass tried to bully her on the debate stage, Ms. Clinton did not turn around and clock him.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Yep. I, for one, was quite disappointed that when the jackass tried to bully her on the debate stage, Ms. Clinton did not turn around and clock him.
She should have knocked him flat for all to see.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:32 PM
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Absent any sort of effective moderation ("Mr Trump, when the other candidate is speaking, SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!!!"), her options were somewhat limited. If she puts up with his misbehavior, she's "weak;" if she responds to it, she's "mean" and "bitchy."

Which doesn't mean I disagree with the sentiment that she should have cold-cocked him. Or kicked him in his nuts (if she could find them).
Old 10-22-2019, 10:39 AM

What Pelosi said at that meeting, what set him off, was the TRUTH.

"All roads lead to Putin." (and always did, with him)

She knows it. His handlers, enablers, flunkies, goons and toadies know kit. And WE know it.

Last edited by SteveG1; 10-22-2019 at 10:39 AM.