Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
For sure; this deserves to be here.

ETA: D'Anconia epitomizes what is wrong with America. Knee-jerk reaction, total lack of compassion, deluded world view.
What does "lack of compassion" have to do with anything?

Offering cooking lessons as reparations is literally the stupidest I've ever encountered.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00 View Post
...I did not like the shoutout to the un-American hijab...
There's nothing "un-American" about wearing a hijab. Or do you not believe in religious freedom as a core tenet?
Old 07-28-2016, 12:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knorf View Post
There's nothing "un-American" about wearing a hijab. Or do you not believe in religious freedom as a core tenet?
I never argued that its something people shouldn't have freedom to do, but I'm very soured on Islam.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
I never argued that its something people shouldn't have freedom to do, but I'm very soured on Islam.
That's fine, but it isn't "un-American."
Old 07-28-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
I'm sure they're heartbroken to hear that.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTapTwo View Post
??? I went back 3 pages and the word “yahoo” was never used. When did D’Anconia call Rick Kitchen Yahoo?
There was a guy. Kind of obscure, perhaps, but shirley you had heard of him?

Last edited by eschereal; 07-28-2016 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Really? You should have said something earlier. We had no clue you felt this way.

On the "reparations" front, while well-meaning white people offering services to "People of Color" in order to assuage their collective guilt for past societal wrongdoing is...let's say "spectacularly naive and potentially condescending"... it is at worst ultimately harmless and at best will help many people at an individual level, even if it has fuck-all to do with reparations for slavery.

So on the "stupid" scale this is pretty small potatoes. Over in SRIOTD at the moment we've got Trump asking a hostile foreign government to actively engage in illegal activity to help him win the election, which is "stupid" in the sense of being illegal, immoral, dangerous, and outright treasonous. Put the two side-by-side and the reparations site is a "molehill" next to Trump's "The Entire Planet Jupiter".
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 AM
Charter Member

Well, now, maybe I'm reading this wrong, but seems to me Mr Trump is assuming that the Russians already have the e-mails, having already done the "hacking". Urging them to turn over their ill-gotten gains to the FBI. Why, looked at in the right light, with a bit of squinting, one could see this as urging Putin to atone for his impulsive little prank.

Kinda like a fraternity prank, but rather than Tappa Kegga Bru, its the KGB.

Anyway, if he's talking in the past tense, he can't be said to be urging some future act of villainy.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Anyway, if he's talking in the past tense, he can't be said to be urging some future act of villainy.
Yes! Ha ha! Of course he can't! That would just be crazy talk!
Old 07-28-2016, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Obama gave a decent speech, but I did not like the shoutout to the un-American hijab, or putting killing cops in the same sentence as the experience of some non-whites.
There's nothing in American about big scarves.

And you really don't think killing black people is comparable to killing cops?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 PM
BANNED

new one, given the transvestite who just spoke at the Dem convention: that a person with a y-chromosome can just "come out" as a female, and that trans is a new civil rights movement. When does this shit end?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
new one, given the transvestite who just spoke at the Dem convention: that a person with a y-chromosome can just "come out" as a female, and that trans is a new civil rights movement. When does this shit end?
He was wearing a man's suit. Get it right, dumbfuck.
The shit starts when you talk. It ends when you shut up.

Last edited by running coach; 07-28-2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
So whatever you're "soured on" is un-American?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
It ends when you stop being such a hateful bigot.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
It ends when you stop being such a hateful bigot.
right, until there's no stability and order left in society.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know how you feel when women reject you because you're a stub of a man?
That's being on the receiving end of bigotry.

Doesn't feel very good, does it?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
reparations.me is a web page where people can hook up to do things for each other. It isn't about reparations. But once again, you obviously haven't bothered to look at the page.
You're right. Mea culpa.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
So nothing I said made a dent in your anger. All you are is your hate and anger, Derek. If that's what you choose to be and how you want to live your life, it is your choice.

But, you know,

And one of the scribes came up and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, asked him, “Which commandment is the most important of all?” Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”

And even in Leviticus, which some Christians site against gays;

“You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

So whether you are Christian or Jewish, in your fanatical support of Israel, both God and Jesus very directly tell you to love your neighbor as yourself.

Try actually doing that.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
You know how you feel when women reject you because you're a stub of a man?
That's being on the receiving end of bigotry.
God, fate, luck, whoever beyond man's control, made short men. He also made "cis" men and females.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:53 PM

Does Tuesday make you feel inexplicable rage, too? Because Tuesday has MORE effect on your life than transgender people. Unless you're scared to death of accidentally chatting up a TG person.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
God, fate, luck, whoever beyond man's control, made short men. He also made "cis" men and females.
He also made gay and transgender men and women. Most of them taller than you.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
He also made gay and transgender men and women. Most of them taller than you.
he made gay men because its not something they went to a plastic surgeon to do (hence why I look at the biological aspect, ie what sex makes their sex organ move to). Ditto with height and race. Not with gender-switchers.

Also, what the FUCK is "gender 'fluid'?" PLEASE.

Last edited by DerekMichaels00; 07-28-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
he made gay men because its not something they went to a plastic surgeon to do (hence why I look at the biological aspect, ie what sex makes their sex organ move to). Ditto with height and race. Not with gender-switchers.

Why do you make assertions about things you don't understand? Why be such a vile, hateful bigot? Wouldn't you rather be open-minded and accept people based on how they treat others, not on what's in their pants or their DNA?
Old 07-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Stupid liberal idea of the day

So you must hate those babies born with cleft palettes that go to plastic surgeons to fix the mistake nature or God made. TG people are who they are long before they consider surgery. And many, many don't get surgery. Those TG people ok, then?

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 07-28-2016 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvoryTowerDenizen View Post
So you must hate those babies born with cleft palettes that go to plastic surgeons to fix the mistake nature or God made. TG people are who they are long before they consider surgery. And many, many don't get surgery. Those TG people ok, then?
yea but having a cleft lip impairs daily life. Being a male or female, in and of itself, doesn't.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
yea but having a cleft lip impairs daily life. Being a male or female, in and of itself, doesn't.
For trans people it can. Imagine if you woke up tomorrow in a woman's body. Would you feel like something is wrong? Would you maybe consider a procedure if it could give you a male body, including a male's physical strength, hair, genitals, etc.?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:08 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
For trans people it can. Imagine if you woke up tomorrow in a woman's body. Would you feel like something is wrong? Would you maybe consider a procedure if it could give you a male body, including a male's physical strength, hair, genitals, etc.?
can you then please explain the difference between that and a so-called "twink," or really effeminate male?

I'll tell you; I understand the idealism of some. But I once met an activist who rallied against "rape culture," but when I asked her what "rape culture" was, she could not explain. Many people find themselves in the same spot on "transgender" vs. gay.

I get that making gender "fake" makes being gay easier, in theory. But that doesn't mean forcing it on the mainstream.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:16 AM

Quote:
can you then please explain the difference between that and a so-called "twink," or really effeminate male?
Trans says nothing about sexual orientation. We've told you this many times before, but you keep forgetting, somehow. There are trans men who are attracted to men, and trans men who are attracted to women. Trans people are not comfortable in the gender of the body they are born with.

And you didn't answer the question. If you woke up tomorrow in the body of a woman, would consider a procedure to give you a male body, complete with strength, hair, and genitalia, or not?

Quote:
I'll tell you; I understand the idealism of some. But I once met an activist who rallied against "rape culture," but when I asked her what "rape culture" was, she could not explain. Many people find themselves in the same spot on "transgender" vs. gay.

I get that making gender "fake" makes being gay easier, in theory. But that doesn't mean forcing it on the mainstream.
It's not forcing it on anyone. You are not forced to date trans people, or marry trans people, or have trans friends, or whatever. But don't expect not to be called an asshole and a bigot when you say the vile and hateful things that you've said about trans people.

There were tons of people who just didn't understand homosexuality for years. Have you considered that maybe you're just a little behind, just like they were? Do you want to look back at yourself, years from now, and see a bigot, or do you want to see someone who was welcoming and kind and respectful to people that may be different from you in some way, but aren't harming anyone at all?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:33 AM
Retired Straight Dope Staff
Charter Member

Quote:
You get to judge how much suffering is ok to endure? How nice to be omniscient.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Ifyou woke up tomorrow in a woman's body, that wouldn't "impair your daily life?"
Old 07-29-2016, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raventhief View Post
If you woke up tomorrow in a woman's body, that wouldn't "impair your daily life?"
He would probably not even notice for two or three weeks. Then, "Oh, that's why I haven't had to shave my chin lately."
Old 07-29-2016, 03:58 AM

Quote:
See, you don't even have a fucking clue what you're talking about. If I didn't know about your track record as an ignorant, hateful, spiteful, misogynistic, disgusting bigot (who is also short and ugly), I might try to fight this ignorance, but honestly, at this point, you do know what google is, don't you Standgebläse?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:50 AM

I do notice that he's too much of a coward and a troll to answer my questions.

So I'm done with him. Putting him on Ignore.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:54 AM

If you want to check your levels of gender fluid, you need a dipstick. And I know just where you can find one.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:00 AM

Could we maybe return to the actual thread topic, lame as it has tended to be?

Last edited by El_Kabong; 07-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to understand your thinking. How would a man or woman coming out as trans interfere with stability and order in society? In your daily life, you deal with men and women. Its not like you deal exclusively with one gender and suddenly the appearance of a trans person forces you to interact with some gender you didn't want to associate with. So how would it be any different than if you dealt with a trans man or woman?
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSothoth View Post
I'm trying to understand your thinking. How would a man or woman coming out as trans interfere with stability and order in society? In your daily life, you deal with men and women. Its not like you deal exclusively with one gender and suddenly the appearance of a trans person forces you to interact with some gender you didn't want to associate with. So how would it be any different than if you dealt with a trans man or woman?
It's the same argument used that gay marriage will somehow destroy the holy sacred union of a cheap Vegas wedding and quickie divorce.

It basically boils down to "I don't personally like it, nor do I wish to understand it, so therefore I want it banned because it makes me feel bad."
Old 07-29-2016, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
whatever. You don't answer questions with anything approaching sense, so I will disengage.
No doubt it comes as a great shock to an impotent-ragey little Rando failbot like d'Anconia, but there are conservatives out there who give of themselves to try to help other people, and not merely for financial gain. Or so I hear.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
It's the same argument used that gay marriage will somehow destroy the holy sacred union of a cheap Vegas wedding and quickie divorce.

It basically boils down to "I don't personally like it, nor do I wish to understand it, so therefore I want it banned because it makes me feel bad."
And then rationalized after accusations of bigotry with (internally) "but I'm not a bigot or a bad person, so my feelings therefore must not be bigoted, no matter what they are".
Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekMichaels00
You know who else stressed "stability and order?"

Anyway, I'd rather keep things interesting, fun, kind, and fair.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Donald Trump?
Old 07-30-2016, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Donald Trump?
Well, I can't say "stability" comes to mind while contemplating Trump.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
another Hitler comparison? Puleasse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSothoth View Post
because that's another defect I'd have to have my kids (when I have them someday) worry about having.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:

Anyway, I'd rather keep things interesting, fun, kind, and fair.
You might want to keep an eye on France then, because Sarkozy has advocated indefinite detention without trial for suspected terrorists and 75% of Frenchmen agree with him:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/31/europe...ope/index.html

Quote:
The answer, to Sarkozy and others on the right, is internment without trial for anyone suspected of jihadist sympathies. It would be a dramatic departure from the cherished tradition of due process, but according to recent polls conducted for Le Figaro, such a move has the support of at least three-quarters of French citizens.
Actually, it looks like it's more than suspected terrorists. Anyone with jihadist sympathies.

But what has brought us to this point? The abject failure of mainstream institutions. What we have going on here is pretty small potatoes compared to how Europe's looking. Very Weimar these days. The good guys need to get their shit together or European voters will turn to the bad guys who actually get things done.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaher View Post
You might want to keep an eye on France then, because Sarkozy has advocated indefinite detention without trial for suspected terrorists and 75% of Frenchmen agree with him:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/31/europe...ope/index.html

Actually, it looks like it's more than suspected terrorists. Anyone with jihadist sympathies.

But what has brought us to this point? The abject failure of mainstream institutions. What we have going on here is pretty small potatoes compared to how Europe's looking. Very Weimar these days. The good guys need to get their shit together or European voters will turn to the bad guys who actually get things done.
well said. Europe needs to learn that multi-culturalism doesn't work in the eastern hemisphere; the countries there ARE founded on ethnic and religious lines, and large amounts of Muslims coming into European countries is not going to work, or any other non-European groups. Multi-culturalism only works in the western hemisphere because no countries have an single and large ethnic group with an ethnic claim; they're all nations of immigrants and their descendants.

Last edited by DerekMichaels00; 08-01-2016 at 01:29 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:52 AM

Quote:
well said. Europe needs to learn that multi-culturalism doesn't work in the eastern hemisphere; the countries there ARE founded on ethnic and religious lines, and large amounts of Muslims coming into European countries is not going to work, or any other non-European groups. Multi-culturalism only works in the western hemisphere because no countries have an single and large ethnic group with an ethnic claim; they're all nations of immigrants and their descendants.
You're a fucking idiot, you know that? Perhaps you should have actually gone to history class, rather than spending time in the boy's room huffing paint thinner.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But what has brought us to this point? The abject failure of mainstream institutions.
What abject failure?

The number of French people killed by terrorists is much, much smaller than the number killed in traffic accidents. or the number killed by their incessant smoking. Or the number killed by their married spouses. Probably not that far off from the number killed by lightening bolts.

The one mainstream institution that could be said to have abjectly failed is the French educational system, in not having taught people how to realistically compare various dangers.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:35 AM

It's not about preventing every attack. It's about preventing the preventable ones, such as actually deporting people the government has determined to be dangerous rather than letting them walk around free.

Also, smoking and car accidents are ways people kill themselves for the most part, and there's little the government can do to stop that. Citizens don't want the government to protect us from themselves. They want to be protected from others who want to harm them. If the government is unwilling to do that, then a government that is willing will be elected instead. And frankly, I can't blame them. When France is deploying troops for security and cancelling events, something is very wrong. And as of yet, no one in the current French government has any ideas. THe right does have ideas. And since you can't beat something with nothing, it looks like Sarkozy's coming back, with le Pen his close associate.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
because that's another defect I'd have to have my kids (when I have them someday) worry about having.
Why should trans people have to suffer because you want to pass on your bigotry to your kids? And how does trans people being treated decently harm your right to teach bigotry to your kids?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:28 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, smoking and car accidents are ways people kill themselves for the most part, and there's little the government can do to stop that.
Which just puts a lamp on the fact that terrorists can't even kill people as fast as people can kill themselves.