Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM

This is a stupid tangent but it reminds me of the This American Life experiment where they tested testosterone levels of various people involved in the program (men and women) to see how they matched up against public perception. And the guy with the highest testosterone levels, by a large margin, was this guy. Yep, the guy bursting with testosterone was the extremely left-wing, gay, Jewish, wimpy writer. Admittedly the base of comparison was other people from NPR but even for that group he was not the one you would have picked.

So can you all just shut the hell up about it now?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:15 AM

Darwin almost in action. Unfortunately, the 23 year old (um.... in months) can't aim worth shit.

Mom shot while taking gun from toddler

And I've never really understood this:
Quote:
Firearms should be stored unloaded and locked. Ammunition should be stored in a separate location.
How can you go into Rambo mode when people start knocking on your door if you have to run around the house getting & unlocking ammo & stuff?

Last edited by DragonAsh; 12-14-2013 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonAsh View Post
Darwin almost in action. Unfortunately, the 23 year old (um.... in months) can't aim worth shit.

Mom shot while taking gun from toddler

And I've never really understood this:

How can you go into Rambo mode when people start knocking on your door if you have to run around the house getting & unlocking ammo & stuff?
"Rambo mode" aside, guns you aren't expecting to use should indeed be stored unloaded and locked. As for a shit-hits-the-fan firearm, it should be kept ready to use but in a quick-access locked safe or rack. Leaving firearms unsecured, especially in a house with children, is imbecilic.

In the 1973 version of The Three Musketeers, when the Cardinal's men come in the night to arrest M. Bonacieux, he grabs a pistol off his nightstand and futily begins trying to load powder, patch and ball. I wish I could find a clip of that online.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Flower Power and the gun enthusiast...

Not stupid but certainly offbeat Gun News.

Plant your flower garden with a shotgun.

"I like gardens more than gardening. I also like guns more than killing."
Old 12-23-2013, 08:25 PM

"A Colorado Springs teenage girl, age 14, was shot and killed on Monday morning after her stepfather mistook her for a burglar at her own home, stated Colorado police located in Colorado Springs."
http://guardianlv.com/2013/12/colora...by-stepfather/

Surely teenagers should know they should come home by the time their parents tell them--rather than sneak in later.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
mistook her for a burglar
I have to concede, I can't imagine what kind of total f***ing imbeciles do this, any more than I can understand how deer hunters end up shooting cows and each other.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
I have to concede, I can't imagine what kind of total f***ing imbeciles do this, any more than I can understand how deer hunters end up shooting cows and each other.
They're scared people. It's not hard to understand. They have been repeatedly told that they are exceptionally vulnerable, and they exercise judgment accordingly.

I'm confused by your reaction, though.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:16 AM

Oddly enough, I've never heard about a home security system accidentally shooting anyone.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Oddly enough, I've never heard about a home security system accidentally shooting anyone.
That's so clever. You dems should run on that platform and use it to try and ban guns again.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Surely teenagers should know they should come home by the time their parents tell them--rather than sneak in later.
Surly teenagers even more so.
Old 12-25-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Are you under the impression that a home alarm covers all your bases?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
They're scared people. It's not hard to understand. They have been repeatedly told that they are exceptionally vulnerable, and they exercise judgment accordingly.
That attitude is the thing I wish more pro-gun-rights types agreed with me on. The likelihood of me even having a valid opportunity to use any of my guns for anything other than recreation is absolutely minuscule.

If more gun owners actually understood the statistics of violent crime on a gut level, I imagine you'd see many fewer of those kinds of incidents.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damuri Ajashi View Post
Are you under the impression that a home alarm covers all your bases?
If by 'home alarm system' you mean 'solid locks on doors & windows, well-lit exterior, and basic common sense, etc etc', then yes, I am under that impression. Unlike you, I do not live in a delusional, paranoid corner of the universe where I fantasize about going into Rambo mode every second of the day.

Or it could just be you live in a shit hole. Sucks to be you.

Last edited by DragonAsh; 12-26-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Aren't you bleeding hearts supposed to care about people living in shit holes? You must love Mitt Romney.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Here's an article on the stepdad who killed his stepdaughter:

"Meade, a 10-year Army veteran, was an enlisted soldier who ascended to the rank of sergeant first-class before accepting his commission within the past year, Fort Carson spokeswoman Dani Johnson said. He is the recipient of a Bronze Star, an Army Commendation medal, and other laurels... Meade also has a Ranger tab and a Special Forces tab, showing that he completed some of the Army's toughest and most exclusive combat training."
http://gazette.com/stepdad-who-shot-...rticle/1511573

With his training he surely doesn't have the excuse that he panicked.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
With his training he surely doesn't have the excuse that he panicked.
No? http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/t...tacks-overview
Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
If by 'home alarm system' you mean 'solid locks on doors & windows, well-lit exterior, and basic common sense, etc etc', then yes, I am under that impression. Unlike you, I do not live in a delusional, paranoid corner of the universe where I fantasize about going into Rambo mode every second of the day.

So basically, you're saying fuck the poor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable View Post
Aren't you bleeding hearts supposed to care about people living in shit holes? You must love Mitt Romney.
Well, you know its their fault that they live in shitholes. Hell, there's a $3 million house down the street for sale with a great security system, why don't they just buy THAT place. If they worked hard enough and made the right choices in life, it would be within reach, I'm sure.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Well, you know its their fault that they live in shitholes. Hell, there's a $3 million house down the street for sale with a great security system, why don't they just buy THAT place. If they worked hard enough and made the right choices in life, it would be within reach, I'm sure.
Oh that's rich, that is. Now I suppose we'll be hearing that the NRA is the great champion of the poor. "See, we're fighting to keep the Obama from taking poor people's guns. So they can fight off all those rich folks trying to exploit 'em". Or something.

Maybe ya oughta run that one by Wayne LaPierre's speechwriters. I'm sure they'd be duly greatful....
Old 12-26-2013, 11:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
Maybe ya oughta run that one by Wayne LaPierre's speechwriters. I'm sure they'd be duly greatful....
With handguns and assault weapons flying off the shelves in record numbers they really don't need any help though, do they.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Hell, there's a $3 million house down the street for sale with a great security system, why don't they just buy THAT place. If they worked hard enough and made the right choices in life, it would be within reach, I'm sure.
Well, yes, it might be. I am my cite. When I was growing up (single mom, btw) we lived on food stamps & food drives at the church and my younger brother's shoes and clothes were all my used clothes until 9th grade and we only had one small black & white TV (a donation from someone, I think) well into my senior year at high school, so yeah - a better life than living in shit holes is almost certainly within reach to those that work for it.

I do believe that. Are you saying a better life is not within reach to the poor?

I wonder if more poor people or rich people die from guns, btw.

Last edited by DragonAsh; 12-27-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, yes, it might be. I am my cite. When I was growing up (single mom, btw) we lived on food stamps & food drives at the church and my younger brother's shoes and clothes were all my used clothes until 9th grade and we only had one small black & white TV (a donation from someone, I think) well into my senior year at high school, so yeah - a better life than living in shit holes is almost certainly within reach to those that work for it.
OK, so poor people ARE lazy. I always thought the same. Are you sure you are not a republican?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Do you really wonder? I thought you had this whole plan to selectively tax them out of the hands of poor people?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Well, yes, it might be. I am my cite.
You're an anonymous poster on the internet. If you're looking to convince anyone other than yourself, you probably need more than one anonymous anecdote.

Quote:
When I was growing up (single mom, btw) we lived on food stamps & food drives at the church and my younger brother's shoes and clothes were all my used clothes until 9th grade and we only had one small black & white TV (a donation from someone, I think) well into my senior year at high school, so yeah - a better life than living in shit holes is almost certainly within reach to those that work for it.
So why didn't your mom work for it? Was she lazy?

Quote:
I do believe that. Are you saying a better life is not within reach to the poor?
For a lot of them, a $3 million dollar house is not within reach. A single family house is not within reach. If the most recent housing crisis taught us anything, it taught us that not everyone can afford a nice home no matter how much they may want one.

Quote:
Well seeing as how poor people live in shitty neighborhoods, isn't the answer pretty obvious? Are you under the impression that law abiding poor people are killing each other off? Or do you recognize that its mostly the result of criminals and gansters.

Quote:
OK, so poor people ARE lazy. I always thought the same. Are you sure you are not a republican?
So he's basically saying his mom was lazy and both he and his brother used to be lazy when he was a kid.

Quote:
Do you really wonder? I thought you had this whole plan to selectively tax them out of the hands of poor people?
He really doesn't care whose hands he takes them from as long as there is a smaller number of guns out there.

Last edited by Damuri Ajashi; 12-27-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know what the fuck you're smoking, but you might want to put the pipe down.

Quote:
So why didn't your mom work for it? Was she lazy?
Huh? My mom worked two jobs putting her kids through school and putting nutritious food on the table. She ended up owning her own company, is now retired, and owns property down in the Keys.

Last edited by DragonAsh; 12-27-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Trying to integrate into your main point, and failing.
1) Even with ridiculous amounts of firearms training, gun owners will still shoot their own kids/senile neighbors/etc, so training is pointless?
2) We shouldn't allow anyone with diagnosed anxiety disorders, including vets with PTSD, to own guns?
3) Acceptable losses?
4) ?
Old 12-27-2013, 05:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Huh? My mom worked two jobs putting her kids through school and putting nutritious food on the table. She ended up owning her own company, is now retired, and owns property down in the Keys.
This all just sounds like you are making it up as you go along.
Old 12-27-2013, 05:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truman Burbank View Post
Trying to integrate into your main point, and failing.
1) Even with ridiculous amounts of firearms training, gun owners will still shoot their own kids/senile neighbors/etc, so training is pointless?
2) We shouldn't allow anyone with diagnosed anxiety disorders, including vets with PTSD, to own guns?
3) Acceptable losses?
4) ?
Just that PastTense was likely wrong to say the guy couldn't have panicked.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
So does that nonsense about you getting attacked with a 2x4.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Whatever helps you and your guns sleep better at night, kiddo.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:12 PM

Poor people can't afford the guns they need to defend their families. The government can step in and subsidize gun purchases for the poor, especially those urban poor. I wonder which side would flinch first.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Oregon county residents form armed watches after Sheriff announces service cutbacks:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...-guts-sheriff/

Quote:
The government in Josephine County, where nearly 70 percent of the land is owned by the U.S. government, had long relied on federal timber subsidies to pay the bills. When the feds terminated the funds, county officials scrambled to pass a May 2012 tax levy to make up a nearly $7.5 million budget shortfall.

However, the county's residents voted against the levy, and as a result the Josephine County Sheriff’s Office was gutted. The major crimes unit closed, dozens of prisoners were released from the county jail and the department reduced operations to Monday-Friday, eight hours a day.

The Sheriff’s Office then issued a press release announcing their deputies would only be responding to what they deemed “life-threatening situations.”
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Sounds like a libertarian paradise. Best of luck to them.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
So does that nonsense about you getting attacked with a 2x4.
I have a police report. Want to put money on it? Let's make it a lot of money.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I don't know what the fuck you're smoking, but you might want to put the pipe down.
Just to clarify your opinion, do you really think most poor people are lazy?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 AM

Not only does he have a police report but he still has the original 2x4 - which he has fashioned into a cross to climb up on.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Batty View Post
Not only does he have a police report but he still has the original 2x4 - which he has fashioned into a cross to climb up on.
I'm just an anecdote of a gun used properly to prevent a homicide. Sorry you all like to pretend that never happens. I just can't help but mention that I know at least one time it happened.

But Jack, since you are here, and obviously don't like guns, what are your thoughts on poor people moving to good neighborhoods and buying alarm systems instead of guns? Are they really just too lazy to do so?
Old 12-28-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
I'm just an anecdote of a gun used properly to prevent a homicide. Sorry you all like to pretend that never happens. I just can't help but mention that I know at least one time it happened.
I believe that people use guns to defend themselves.

I do not believe that you ever did. I think you are a liar and a prick. I doubt your story.

The last time you and I shared an exchange on this topic, as I recall, the police report was forthcoming. It never appeared.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:48 PM

Cracked ran a good article on guns today and I thought those of y'all who are regular contributors to this thread might enjoy it as points for discussion: 5 Mind-Blowing Facts Nobody Told You About Guns.

I thought the bit about suicides was very well-written, well-researched and thought provoking, for instance.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-28-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: fixed coding
Old 12-28-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Just to clarify your opinion, do you really think most poor people are lazy?
A) Define 'poor'

B) Define 'lazy'.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The last time you and I shared an exchange on this topic, as I recall, the police report was forthcoming. It never appeared.
If I recall it was probably you who said never mind you didn't want to see it. So how much are we betting? $1000 too much for you?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A) Define 'poor'

B) Define 'lazy'.
Standard definitions in America. Maybe dirt poor like when you were raised by your single mom and lazy like too lazy to work or study hard. You know, common usage definitions. BTW do you think maybe growing up without a man in the house is one of the reasons you are afraid of guns and dogs?
Old 12-28-2013, 05:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Cracked ran a good article on guns today and I thought those of y'all who are regular contributors to this thread might enjoy it as points for discussion: 5 Mind-Blowing Facts Nobody Told You About Guns.

I thought the bit about suicides was very well-written, well-researched and thought provoking, for instance.
I bet the homicides are down so much because of how many guns Obama has been selling.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
If I recall it was probably you who said never mind you didn't want to see it.
Nope. Not me.
Quote:
So how much are we betting? $1000 too much for you?
If you have one, provide it. This betting ruse is a transparent dodge. You are a liar and a prick.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Nope. Not me.If you have one, provide it. This betting ruse is a transparent dodge.
Come on I have to copy it, scan it, upload it, if public I should black out some names. I want you to make it worth my while and watch you guys squirm. So if the money is too much for you maybe we can just make it $500?

Quote:
You are a liar and a prick.
Sorry but I'm not a liar and if I were a prick I'd be in your mouth by now.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Come on I have to copy it, scan it, upload it, if public I should black out some names. I want you to make it worth my while and watch you guys squirm. So if the money is too much for you maybe we can just make it $500?
It's been months since you've started proffering this supposed report. You haven't already scanned it in? You're quite simply full of shit, you lying prick.
Quote:
Sorry but I'm not a liar and if I were a prick I'd be in your mouth by now.
Wow, you're just weird. I'm glad you're Damuri's compatriot.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Standard definitions in America. Maybe dirt poor like when you were raised by your single mom and lazy like too lazy to work or study hard. You know, common usage definitions. BTW do you think maybe growing up without a man in the house is one of the reasons you are afraid of guns and dogs?
a) You really are a worthless piece of shit aren't you.

b) why do you assume there wasn't a man in the house?

c) why do you assume i'm afraid of guns and dogs?

Oh wait, that's right - you assume things because you're retarded. Never mind.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's been months since you've started proffering this supposed report. You haven't already scanned it in?
Why would I have scanned it. You all backed down on the bet when I offered it before.

Quote:
You're quite simply full of shit, you lying prick.
Bet me then, bitch. If you are so sure I'm lying lets make it $2000. If you can't afford it maybe you can get DragonAsh to bankroll you. We can have a 3rd party hold the money up front. Fair?
Old 12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
BANNED

Quote:
a) You really are a worthless piece of shit aren't you.

b) why do you assume there wasn't a man in the house?

c) why do you assume i'm afraid of guns and dogs?

Oh wait, that's right - you assume things because you're retarded. Never mind.
I hate to break this to you DragonAsh but you're the one that went on and on about how you were raised by a single mom, and you both went on to be onepercenters. It's obvious in this thread that you are afraid of guns and it's obvious if you enter one of those pit pull threads that you are afraid of dogs too. Didn't you even say you would cross the street if someone walked one your way? So my assumptions are just me taking you at your word and I thought growing up fatherless might be a reason for your phobias.

Anyway, back to my original question, do you really think most poor people are lazy?
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
If you are so sure I'm lying lets make it $2000.
Why should we pay you to provide cites for your claims? Put up or shut up, pussy.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Anyway, back to my original question, do you really think most poor people are lazy?
No.

Or, to clarify, no more or less lazy than non-poor people.

Last edited by DragonAsh; 12-29-2013 at 10:32 AM.