Old 05-30-2018, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Bethesda's Fallout announcement (today?)

So they have something to announce today about Fallout.

If it isn't Fallout 5, I don't think they should be teasing it this much. A tease like this should NOT end with "Happy 10th birthday, Fallout 3, we re-mastered you!".

Any predictions?

Note: I'm hearing the announcement is today, can not be totally sure.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:07 AM

I'm on board with whichever comes out next, a new Fallout, or a new GTA. If you hear the announcement, keep us posted, eh?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I'm on board with whichever comes out next, a new Fallout, or a new GTA. If you hear the announcement, keep us posted, eh?
I don't think Bethesda makes GTA. They make Elder Scrolls and Fallout.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 AM

Yeah, I was just talking about whichever game I was certain to pick up.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

New game, called Fallout 76.

No idea what kind of game it is yet, though. A full new Fallout?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Vault 76 is known to be a control vault, so no real clues there. It doesn't have an established location, either.

Maybe it will be focused around the Minutemen (hence the '76) and the reestablishment of an actual government rather than a new story of factions battling for scraps of the wasteland.

Whatever they do, I hope they add a bit more life to the palette. I'm getting a little tired of the color drab.

Last edited by Johnny Bravo; 05-30-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

That reminds me - I can't remember, did Fallout 1 and 2 have the silly idea of the human experiment vaults? I don't think they did - you were trying to save your vaults in those games, no need for crazy nonsense on top of that. But I can't remember if any of the other vaults were like that in those games. Was the idea of the experimental vaults invented by fallout 3?
Old 05-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Nah, it's Fallout in 1976.

Disco Lives Forever!
Old 05-30-2018, 10:59 AM

I'm pretty sure it was stated in the first games, though it's been so long since I played them that I couldn't tell you exactly where.

It was definitely a thing well before Fallout 3 came out - the very first Fallout Bible talks about the experiments and refers to them as one of "three huge questions."
Old 05-30-2018, 11:31 AM

I watched the trailer which can also be seen at fallout.com. "Country Roads" was playing, so perhaps a West Virginia setting? As mentioned above, no real information about it. There was mention of more info at the next GameCon or whatever the name is.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I watched the trailer which can also be seen at fallout.com. "Country Roads" was playing, so perhaps a West Virginia setting? As mentioned above, no real information about it. There was mention of more info at the next GameCon or whatever the name is.
A new Eastern seaboard (or inland) Fallout 4 DLC? Maybe a new game with the FO4 engine and setting, but geographically distant from the Commonwealth (a la New Vegas v. Capital Wasteland).

Actually, I'd be happy if they did the Capital Wasteland, since they knifed the mod for that in the back, but I'd also be disappointed because it wouldn't be very novel. ("Been there, done that, got the Project Purity water purifier.")

TBH, I'm skeptical it could be very much. No leaks, no hints? Anything as big as FO5 or even new DLC for FO4 would leak some development information.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
That reminds me - I can't remember, did Fallout 1 and 2 have the silly idea of the human experiment vaults? I don't think they did - you were trying to save your vaults in those games, no need for crazy nonsense on top of that. But I can't remember if any of the other vaults were like that in those games. Was the idea of the experimental vaults invented by fallout 3?
Yes, they did. Or at the very least, they had detailed stories about what went wrong in them. You did go in other vaults and read their computers and learn the backstory.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
Nah, it's Fallout in 1976.

Disco Lives Forever!
I felt bad about setting off the nuke in Megaton, somehow,.. I don't think I'd feel that way about burning the Bay City Rollers. Quite the opposite in fact.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
The vault experiments go all the way back to the original Fallout. The Necropolis was designed with faulty doors, which led to the high ghoul population.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Temper your enthusiasm, one of the editors at kotaku says

"I think it's really important to reiterate this: Anyone who spends the next two weeks expecting Fallout: 76 to be a new traditional single-player RPG will be VERY disappointed"

They're being really vague about this. If it turns out to be Fallout Shelter 2 or something after people work themselves into a hype about a new full fallout game then there's going to be ... fallout from the PR fiasco.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
They're being really vague about this. If it turns out to be Fallout Shelter 2...
Yeah. This is the kind of thing I'm afraid of.
Quote:
then there's going to be ... fallout from the PR fiasco.
(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)
YEEEEAAAHHH!

(quote split for comic effect, because SUNGLASSES)
Old 05-30-2018, 03:19 PM

Some reports I'm hearing are claiming it's going to be more Rust-style, taking the settlement building parts of FO4 and adding in multiplayer. Given that my internal word-association with "Rust-style" is "greifing," I'm not sure that sounds like all that great an idea.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Some reports I'm hearing are claiming it's going to be more Rust-style, taking the settlement building parts of FO4 and adding in multiplayer. Given that my internal word-association with "Rust-style" is "greifing," I'm not sure that sounds like all that great an idea.
I'm hearing people say that rumor is impossible because the engine couldn't handle multiplayer in the first place.

There's very little actual information and an awful lot of rumors; I'd take anything we hear with a huge grain of salt right now.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
If they announce a multiplayer battle royale I'll puke.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:08 PM

Could it just be a big DLC for Fallout 4?
Old 05-30-2018, 05:08 PM

If so I could probably handle that for a while. I like new maps and things because I'm easily amused. Just not so much building anymore, ok? The vault 88 download was fun but I wanted no part in building all the floors and walls and hallways in that cavern.

Last edited by bobot; 05-30-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:28 PM

I think it's going to be an MMO, or some sort of add on like Fallout Survivor.

There's a tweet from Obsidian floating around that heavily implies they ain't involved.

Doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, but y'all have fun.

EDIT: As to the experimental nature of the vaults and their lore in FO1 and 2, I remember that Necropolis was supposedly a mistake, but I don't remember that you found out in the first one that the vault was left cracked open on purpose. Was it lore that was in FO2?

Not that adherence to lore has been Bethesda's strong suit.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 05-30-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:39 PM

Supposedly the MSRP is $60, which seems a bit high for something like a phone game redux. But a bit low for a whole new game.

I dunno. I'm not interested in a multi-player, Rust-ish game, but that's what the price, studio (I guess the Austin studio that Bethesda bought did a lot of MMO-type things), and setting imply.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
I think it's going to be an MMO
Given the history, perhaps the Elder Scrolls MMO rewritten for Fallout?
Old 05-30-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Given the history, perhaps the Elder Scrolls MMO rewritten for Fallout?
Nah, not with the Bethesda and Austin studios working on it- they'd have their MMO-experienced studio working on it, the one in Hunt Valley. I mean, hell, that's why it was opened in the first place.

Rumors I've heard is that it's going to be an open-world sandbox survival game, like Conan Exiles. That genre is very "in" right now- emergent gameplay reduces the need for quest design, one of the largest timesinks of game development. A lot of their previous work on Fallout 4, primarily the base building aspect, would work well with this genre as well.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:22 PM

I like the idea of a “Fallout Exiles” game.

You start out with almost nothing and have to scavenge to build weapons, tools, shelter, and armor, get food and water, and survive.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:54 AM

I really hope this isn't online only. I understand an online component sells, I just lost interest in things like Team Fortress and CS, and never tried PUBG etc. because I have little interest in online components.

It appears to be the earliest Fallout game, chronologically, only 25 years after the bombs fall. Playable ghouls? Mutant Virginia oppossums?
Old 05-31-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
I really hope this isn't online only.
I hope so as well. I don't like relying upon other players to be nice so I can enjoy my game. Conan Exiles has a single-player mode, and there's also the option to run a LAN private server (if you've got a spare machine). My wife and I are playing a co-op game together, and having a lot of fun.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:43 AM

It's looking like the Ark/Rust style of game is what it's going to be after all. Not really my cup of tea, but you can't really blame them for following after the success of other sandbox survival games.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM

Ugh, MMO.

Online gaming, much like the Fallout universe, is a molten wasteland filled with trolls and idiots.

I'll pass.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

There may have been a new leak on Reddit, which has since been taken down.
Quote:
It will feature a scavenger from the surface as an important character which would explain why the vault seen in the trailer is empty aside from the protagonist. It has a cooperative mode but the source claimed it’s “not an MMO or Rust-like”. The game will also come with a phone app and have a voiced protagonist like Fallout 4. Six factions will be present. Three of these are “notables” that were in past games. It could also have “numerous retcons” to the events of Fallout 4 and past games with the likes of Maxson and Harold making an appearance. And to no one’s surprise, Fallout 76 is “laying the groundwork for Fallout 5 which is already in the works.”

Interestingly, the source stated that Bethesda will not allow fan-made modifications to Fallout 76 that don’t go through the company’s Creation Club, effectively killing off the likes of Nexus Mods.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

According to a terminal entry in the Citadel, Vault 76 is supposed to be near the Capitol Wasteland. Fallout's version of Project Greek Island?

Last edited by Skywatcher; 05-31-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:06 PM

Despite their protestations that it's not going to be an MMO-like, your further quote,
Quote:
Interestingly, the source stated that Bethesda will not allow fan-made modifications to Fallout 76 that don’t go through the company’s Creation Club, effectively killing off the likes of Nexus Mods.
, doesn't make sense IMHO, unless they plan on it being some sort of multi-player.

I am not a fan of unmodded Bethesda games (or Obsidian's crack at the FO universe either). FO3 got a whole lot better, IMHO, when it was a part of Tale of Two Wastelands, with Project Nevada running in that. Nexus mods really broadened the appeal of what were pretty buggy games.

I can't really argue with their marketing people though; MMOs, microtransactions, and the settlement stuff in FO4 have all proven to be obscenely popular and profitable.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Despite their protestations that it's not going to be an MMO-like, your further quote ... doesn't make sense IMHO, unless they plan on it being some sort of multi-player.
Not all multiplayer games are MMOs. The aforementioned Conan Exiles, for example.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
According to a terminal entry in the Citadel, Vault 76 is supposed to be near the Capitol Wasteland. Fallout's version of Project Greek Island?
The limited information canonically available about Vault 76 never mentioned it as an elites vault or Continuity of Government site (like Greenbrier was IRL). It was still part of the Vault Experiment, but as a control sample. (That's just good science, right there.)

AFAIK, the US Government never trusted Vault-Tek with anything that mattered to them. The only canonical CoG sites were the Poseidon Oil Rig and other Enclave sites.

Last edited by gnoitall; 05-31-2018 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnoitall View Post
The limited information canonically available about Vault 76 never mentioned it as an elites vault or Continuity of Government site (like Greenbrier was IRL). It was still part of the Vault Experiment, but as a control sample. (That's just good science, right there.)
Maybe, like in real life, the place was built as a government bunker in the Fifties but never used and ultimately decommissioned. Then co-opted by Vault-Tec.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Well, if it's set in 2101, you know what that means. The Fallout/Zero Wing crossover we've all been waiting for. "In 2101, war was beginning and it never changes."

And think of the possibilities if they keep the base-building from Fallout 4. Next time the super mutants overrun your settlement, they'll announce that they have your base.

Last edited by asterion; 05-31-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:29 PM

Interesting on the voiced protagonist as they have acknowledged that it wasn't a universally popular choice. I never minded it in 4, just the poorly written dialog options. Also if multiplayer, the same 2 voices for everyone might be weird? Maybe not a traditional multiplayer. Fallout Shelter 2.0?
Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
Well, if it's set in 2101, you know what that means. The Fallout/Zero Wing crossover we've all been waiting for. "In 2101, war was beginning and it never changes."

And think of the possibilities if they keep the base-building from Fallout 4. Next time the super mutants overrun your settlement, they'll announce that they have your base.
The crossover I've been waiting for is Fallout: Half-Life. The vault opens and out steps Gordon Freeman. "We've been waiting for you."
Old 05-31-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
The crossover I've been waiting for is Fallout: Half-Life. The vault opens and out steps Gordon Freeman. "We've been waiting for you."
Think of the crossover potential:

Dr. Kleiner: Vault Dweller, the Zero Point Energy Field Manipulator will be useful. Take it.

Dr. Klein: YOU CAN PICK THINGS UP WITHOUT USING YOUR FILTHY PENIS-HANDS? BEHOLD THE POWER OF SCIENCE!

Dr. Kleiner: Oh dear.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:46 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G0sp3l View Post
Throw some Portal in and I'm there.

Not to mention the tutorial on crafting. "Pick up that can. Now take it over to that workbench. No, the other workbench. Now select X. Now try to figure out how to line up X with Y with limited camera angles and poor control because you're using a console. Now repeat 50,000 times because we ran out of content early on and the DLC is poor. Now go run the same radiant quest for the fiftieth time." Although it'd probably actually stop after the first two sentences.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Not to mention the tutorial on crafting. "Pick up that can. Now take it over to that workbench. No, the other workbench. Now select X. Now try to figure out how to line up X with Y with limited camera angles and poor control because you're using a console. Now repeat 50,000 times because we ran out of content early on and the DLC is poor. Now go run the same radiant quest for the fiftieth time." Although it'd probably actually stop after the first two sentences.
YES!!! Tired of getting your ass kicked by Super Mutants? Get a Deathclaw to chase you through a portal.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Two words: "romancing Chell."
Old 06-04-2018, 01:41 PM

Fallout 76 but honestly it can be Fallout 200 if they don't upgrade their damn game engine. The trailer and graphics looked like Fallout 4's engine. That killed the game for me as it didn't feel next gen at all. Along with the abysmal story.

At this point I would have just liked a New Vegas Remaster.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:13 PM

How did I miss this thread?! Weird.

IF it's co-op, my biggest wish would be cross-platform so I can play with the wife.

Anyway, right now I'm looking forward to Fallout: New California.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Speaking of New Vegas: anyone who also plays Hearts of Iron IV should be interested in this.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

The speculation seems to be that it will be a multi-player survival game like Ark or Conan. There is some speculation that there won't be mods...if so then it probably kills it for me, since that implies corporate servers and more of an MMO orientation instead of allowing users to spin up their own servers to host the game in a more restricted manner. It supposedly uses the Fallout 4 engine and settlement system which I'm pretty neutral about. I heard there will be questing and a story driven game, but it's all pure speculation.

The real key will be if it's limited multi-player and can be modded and if they have made the standards survival game (which was popular more a few years ago than now) interesting and fresh set in the Fallout world. I do plan to catch Bethesda's presentation on Sunday, where they will be giving more details about this and other games they have planned (supposedly they will be announcing 2 big games under production and in theory being released this year).

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 06-10-2018, 09:55 PM

They revealed some details today. It's a prequel. It is set closer to the actual war in West Virginia.

Here is a trailer.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I was just watching the online reveal.

"And yes....it's an online game."

However, he said you could play it single-player. Having said that, I'm not sure I totally buy that?
Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

*sigh*

I really don't like multiplayer, even if it is "only dozens". I like to play at my own pace and not feel like I have to build cookie-cutter characters just to keep up with the joneses.