Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Ugh, and each tile you get is more expensive and takes longer to build. The first tile took 1 hour, but then it went to 4 hours after that. I did get the Sea Captain though and his boat is an instant build. He's in the middle of a 4 hour task so I'll check back with him after work.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trion View Post

If you go into a neighbor's town and see that he has a tile ready floating over the Squidport Entrance - DON'T TAP IT. You're friend won't get his tile and will have to start over.

is this a glitch or are they stealing the tile?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtrash View Post
is this a glitch or are they stealing the tile?
I'm pretty sure it's a glitch. I don't think you get the tile when you tap a friend's tile - I think it just goes away and they have to start over.

Another glitch people should be aware of. Once you've finished building the Itchy and Scratchy store, the questline may stop. Just put the store in your inventory and then place it again and you should be good to go.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's a glitch. I don't think you get the tile when you tap a friend's tile - I think it just goes away and they have to start over.

Another glitch people should be aware of. Once you've finished building the Itchy and Scratchy store, the questline may stop. Just put the store in your inventory and then place it again and you should be good to go.
Excellent, thank you! I was wondering why it was still in my task list and the Captain had disappeared.

I don't care for how expensive the boardwalk tiles are getting and how long they take to build. I can see doing that if you get more and more for each effort, but 12 hours for one tile and $1500 is a bit much.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:45 PM

Is there any particular trick to betting on the dogs at Springfield Downs, or is it just random? I've bet and won three times (once on a 9-1 odds bet) and lost twice. Just curious.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minionkat View Post
Excellent, thank you! I was wondering why it was still in my task list and the Captain had disappeared.

I don't care for how expensive the boardwalk tiles are getting and how long they take to build. I can see doing that if you get more and more for each effort, but 12 hours for one tile and $1500 is a bit much.
Really? I'm already so backed up with tasks right now.
On deck I have...
-Have Boardwalk sections
-Build Malaria zone ($47500)(I was thinking about boxing Itchy & Scratchy to get this started) so I don't have to pay for more tiles since I would have to buy the next water space first)
-Build the Adult Education Annex ($84700)
-Build Springfield Hospital ($65500)
-Build El Chemistri ($92950)
-Build Businessman's Social Club.

I started building the social club last night which brought be down to about $300, but it'll give me Fat Tony. Before that I build the Temple because it gave me Lenny and Carl. I'm trying to go back and forth between Squidport stuff and mainland stuff. And with the mainland stuff I'm concentrating on things that will give me new characters since they'll help bring in more money. All this is on top of having (IIRC) 5 characters all locked up in 24 hour tasks at the same time.

My guess for having the tiles be expensive and time consuming* is because there's a lot of people out there that 'finished' the game a while ago and are just sitting there collecting money and have millions upon millions of dollars in their account. EA probably didn't want them to build out the entire thing in an hour and then be bored again. OTOH, the people with millions of dollars aren't going to use any IRL money. It's the people like me that are going to be tempted to use actual cash. The people that might want to speed things up or buy some premium items to get some influx of cash.

*Do the tiles build one after another or at the same time? That is, if I by 6 tiles does it take 4 hours to build or 24?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
*Do the tiles build one after another or at the same time? That is, if I by 6 tiles does it take 4 hours to build or 24?
One at a time. They are progressively more expensive and take more time. Someone with a more vested interest (and time on their hands) than I figured it all out:

1-4 Free instant builds

Tile 5 $250/60 minutes or 2 donuts to rush

Tile 6 $450/2 hours or 2 donuts

Tile 7 $850/4 hours or 2 donuts

Tile 8 $1,700/8 hours or 4 donuts

Tile 9 $2,500/12 hours or 6 donuts

Tile 10 $3,350/16 hours or 8 donuts

Tiles 11-15 $5,000/24 hours or 12 donuts

Tiles 16-30 $7,500/1 day 12 hours or 18 donuts

Tiles 31-60 $10,000/2 days or 24 donuts

Tiles 61-90 $12,500/2 days 12 hours or 30 donuts

Tiles 91-120 $15,000/ 3 days or 36 donuts

Tiles 121-150 $17,500/ 3 days 12 hours or 42 donuts

There are almost 150 tile spaces available.

I have built the Itchy & Scratchy Store and am currently building the Malaria Zone store. Once that is done, I think I am going to take a break from the Squidport stuff. I am at XP level 30, but still trying to scrape up the money to build the Skinner House and Fat Tony's Compound. They have been on hold for a couple of weeks now. Squidport was shiny, but now that it looks to be permanent (there is about a year's worth of play there just in building the boardwalk), it can wait, and I can catch up.

It annoys me a little that I can level up so quickly just based on XP. I really feel like the levels should be more tied to completing the quests. Still having fun though. It is still crazy addictive.

I have not put any real money into it. I hope I can keep it that way. It is very tempting.

I can't seem to get my gluttony score up. I do not want to build a bunch of Krusty Burgers just to achieve that five star rating. I have lots of restaurants.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It annoys me a little that I can level up so quickly just based on XP. I really feel like the levels should be more tied to completing the quests. Still having fun though. It is still crazy addictive.
I'm kinda confused about that as well. I can usually clear a level in 1 to 2 days, but the things they tell me to build tend to be 10+ levels behind where I am. I'm not sure what the levels have to do with anything. Also, some of the quests seem so random. Why have someone do X, when I've already had them do X a hundred times.

Quote:
I can't seem to get my gluttony score up. I do not want to build a bunch of Krusty Burgers just to achieve that five star rating. I have lots of restaurants.
I try not to worry about that, but I tend to hover around 25% or so. So the 3-4% swing that the Conform-o-meter makes isn't that big of a deal.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Attention: Squidport does get stuck after part 5(make the itchy and scratchy store) is complete. Mine and others have had it say it is done, but it stays on the quest book.

Solution: Put the store in storage and re-place it. The quest will continue from there.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:09 PM

It's been a little quiet here but I just got prompted for my age when I started it this evening.

Also, I could swear that one of my boardwalk pieces that I built for the Squidport was actually 2 squares, but that only happened once. Anyone else get one of those? Is everyone else having troubles placing the boardwalk squares? It seems real wonky for me.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Gladiator View Post
It's been a little quiet here but I just got prompted for my age when I started it this evening.
I got the age request as well.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

I got the age request as well...on both of my devices that I play the game on.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Apple just settled a class action suit about minors purchasing in-game stuff without parental permission/blocking; I assume (without any evidence) that the "how old are you" question is in response to that.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:43 AM

I'm not loving the Squidport stuff. It's too expensive and time-intensive, and I have the rest of Springfield to build, too. I can only make so much money. Right now I need to build Malaria Zone, but I also have to build Channel 6. And I need more boardwalk pieces to be able to place any new Squidport buildings. I'm considering dropping my Squidport quests and leaving it as it is.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:29 AM

http://tstotips.com/2013/06/24/what-...t-received-do/

This link explains it a bit. It is for the Childrens Online Privacy Act.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
I'm not loving the Squidport stuff. It's too expensive and time-intensive, and I have the rest of Springfield to build, too. I can only make so much money. Right now I need to build Malaria Zone, but I also have to build Channel 6. And I need more boardwalk pieces to be able to place any new Squidport buildings. I'm considering dropping my Squidport quests and leaving it as it is.
Build Channel 6, it makes a lot of money. But like Cletus' farm, you have to remember to reset it each time you collect.

I was just asked to build the Army Surplus store. $249K. I haven't even had that much money yet. On top of that, if I collect every single time it's ready, it'll take about a year and a half to pay for itself so it's not even worth it. That one's going on the back burner.

I'm still assuming having the boardwalk pieces take so long to build was done purposely to slow people down. There's a lot of people that have been 'done' for a long time with, literally, millions and millions of dollars in their accounts. This was a somewhat clever mechanism to make sure they couldn't just buy up the entire boardwalk and all the buildings the day they became available and be finished with the game right away again (other then running the characters through some quests). I've just been starting a new boardwalk piece as soon as one is done, need it or not.

Here's something I don't get. I don't understand why so often I've gone to other people's cities and I see all their characters walking around. The only reason for that is if they're in the middle of a 'shift change' or the user has sort of given up on the game. But other then that, everyone should always be busy. If you go to my Springfield, everyone is going to be inside a building or actively doing something. They only time you'll see everyone walking around at the same time is when I tap all the thumbs, but they're only out for a few minutes and then I put them all right back to work.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Here's something I don't get. I don't understand why so often I've gone to other people's cities and I see all their characters walking around. The only reason for that is if they're in the middle of a 'shift change' or the user has sort of given up on the game. But other then that, everyone should always be busy. If you go to my Springfield, everyone is going to be inside a building or actively doing something. They only time you'll see everyone walking around at the same time is when I tap all the thumbs, but they're only out for a few minutes and then I put them all right back to work.
For me, I just don't care to spend the time finding and clicking 35 characters to start a task more than once a day. I get enough income from my housing neighborhoods and retail buildings and they're always in the same place.

They finally fixed one thing that annoyed me; the Skinner House now produces a $ instead of a wad of cash icon.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
For me, I just don't care to spend the time finding and clicking 35 characters to start a task more than once a day. I get enough income from my housing neighborhoods and retail buildings and they're always in the same place.
I can understand if you're sort of done trying to make money, but even then why not just set them to 24 hour tasks. At least then they won't bug you every hour or two and they'll still be making money.

I think part of it is that I'm looking at a lot of people that are still in the lower levels of the game and haven't figure out some of the tricks, like, don't have all your people wandering around doing nothing all day while you're at work.

Last edited by Joey P; 06-25-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think part of it is that I'm looking at a lot of people that are still in the lower levels of the game and haven't figure out some of the tricks, like, don't have all your people wandering around doing nothing all day while you're at work.
Well, yeah, I know that, but I get my people wandering around for days at a time because I just don't care enough about the game to keep logging in to get them to do something. I suspect there are a lot of people like me out there. Otherwise, I tend to send them off on 24 hour tasks. I even got the farm making corn now.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Well, yeah, I know that, but I get my people wandering around for days at a time because I just don't care enough about the game to keep logging in to get them to do something. I suspect there are a lot of people like me out there. Otherwise, I tend to send them off on 24 hour tasks. I even got the farm making corn now.
I thought about that, but the reward just isn't enough. Towards the beginning, I thought about doing the math of starting Corn. Actual Corn. and then speeding it up with donuts vs turning donuts into cash. Keeping in mind the corn would get XP as well.

Keep in mind, that in 3 months you'll likely be really bored with the game and not signing in very often and IIRC you only have 7 days to collect your money from the corn or you'll lose it.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I've been playing this now for about a few weeks. I didn't ask for friends at first in case I would just drop it, but I think I'll keep going for awhile. If anyone wants to deface my little city, I'm CSetti. Add me if you'd like.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM

I probably spend more time than I should playing this game.

As for tasks, the more you level up, the more folks you're going to have running around, and even if you just spend 15 minutes each day sending them on 24 hour tasks, you're netting appx $50K every day before your building $$.

Last night at the Frying Dutchman I had 43 folks crammed in there (a few were already on tasks when the quest came up). I was hpoing the boardwalk would collapse.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I can understand if you're sort of done trying to make money, but even then why not just set them to 24 hour tasks. At least then they won't bug you every hour or two and they'll still be making money.
Because we have lives. I check in when I have the time, not when some arbitrary clock period has passed. Even if I set them to 24 hour tasks, it may well be 36 or even 48 hours before I can check in again. (And it wouldn't even occur to me to allow notifications from this -- that would drive me to delete it almost immediately). Even for the "entertainment" part of my time budget, this is fairly far down the priority tree. It's fun, but once something starts being something I "have" to do, or to schedule other parts of my life around, it's a job, not a game (see also: MMORPG "raids" and grinding), and it goes in the trash.

There's no time limit here; my life will not be noticably better if my Springfield has an extra building or two by the fourth of July.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 06-25-2013 at 02:08 PM. Reason: there are no "n"s in "immediately"
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought about that, but the reward just isn't enough.
Well, yeah. The shortest tasks give the greatest rewards in terms of XP and money per amount of time spent. But I don't have time to be putting in 24 hour tasks every single day on the farm. I've gone as much as a week without logging in. I might as well have a background task going on so I'm at least making some money. Heck, if they had weekly tasks, that's what I'd be setting all my characters to do at this point.

And if I forget about it three months from now, so what? You're right--I probably won't be playing it any more, as the novelty of this type of game has worn off on me, but just in case I am, I have corn to pick.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 PM

My solution to the the too many tasks problem is that I've replaced all roads with pavement, and then use the road pieces as park/plaza magnet tiles that suck all the characters into one location. I've had to relocate it to the entrance of Squidport though, because boardwalk tiles also act as character magnets.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
I've been playing this now for about a few weeks. I didn't ask for friends at first in case I would just drop it, but I think I'll keep going for awhile. If anyone wants to deface my little city, I'm CSetti. Add me if you'd like.
Added you.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

There was a small update today. Anyone know what it was?
Old 06-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

I guess it's the July 4 update. I have to free everyone up to start it.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:57 PM

Oooh Rex Banner!
Old 06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oooh Rex Banner!
How do we start the quests?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
How do we start the quests?
Put on Apu's new outfit to get started. It will be in your inventory.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It drives me nuts when the first thing you have to do with a new character or building is 24 hour quests. Even more so if you have to lock multiple characters up for 24 hours.
At least with 4/6/8/12 hour jobs there's a least a little bit of strategy on your end with when you should start the quest depending on your schedule.
On top of that, if you're still trying to build your town, it sucks to be down a character for the next 24 hours.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It drives me nuts when the first thing you have to do with a new character or building is 24 hour quests. Even more so if you have to lock multiple characters up for 24 hours.
At least with 4/6/8/12 hour jobs there's a least a little bit of strategy on your end with when you should start the quest depending on your schedule.
On top of that, if you're still trying to build your town, it sucks to be down a character for the next 24 hours.
Eh, could be worse. About three weeks ago, I planted Corn in the farm, and almost immediately got a quest requiring me to grow something else. But since there's no way to cancel the corn without spending 1000+ donuts, it's just going to have to sit there for the next couple months. I have no idea if I've just "stopped up" a single quest or a whole chain of them.
<HOMER>I wish this was a shooter game!</HOMER>

Last edited by TimeWinder; 06-28-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Eh, could be worse. About three weeks ago, I planted Corn in the farm, and almost immediately got a quest requiring me to grow something else. But since there's no way to cancel the corn without spending 1000+ donuts, it's just going to have to sit there for the next couple months. I have no idea if I've just "stopped up" a single quest or a whole chain of them.
Check one of the walkthrough sites. Here or there's another one I can't find right now. If you search for the quest it's asking you about it might tell you. But since most "quests" are just a step or two long and result in a hundred dollars, all that's going to happen is that you're going to have Cletus' face on that bar for the next three months.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

I've been going back through the thread to add friends. Hope youse guyz don't mind.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:33 PM

My game updated this morning and now all my friends are gone! Anyone else having the same problem? The rest of the game is working normally.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Pie View Post
My game updated this morning and now all my friends are gone! Anyone else having the same problem? The rest of the game is working normally.
I've had that happen from time to time. They usually show back up in the next few hours or a day. Sometimes they're even still there if I check on a different device.
I'd wait at least 24 hours before I'd panic about that. Check back every few hours and try not to think about it too hard. If after a day or so they're still not back, I've read of people suggesting to uninstall and reinstall the app, but it's never come to that for me.

I'm also at a place in the game where going through all all my friend's towns for a few hundred dollars/XP over the course of 10 minutes just isn't that big a deal, so if I miss a day, I don't worry about it. When this happened when I just started, it bugged me a lot more. It still happens once a week or so though.

Last edited by Joey P; 06-29-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
Same thing happened to me. Here's the solution, though: put Cletus' Farm in your inventory and then back into the game. Your growing corn will have vanished and you're free to use the farm again.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks, it wasn't triggered until a certain time, but he is busy getting fireworks now.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Thanks, it wasn't triggered until a certain time, but he is busy getting fireworks now.
I think after Apu is done with the 24 hour shift, everyone is going to have to go on a 12 hour shift. Luckily, I noticed that and have everyone set up to finish what they're doing about an hour before Apu is done with that. So either they'll all do nothing for a little while or they'll all get a 60 minute job and then I'll start them on that (which they'll finish at around 4am, but I'll be leaving for the night when I start them).
Old 06-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

This may have been mentioned earlier, but a tip if you have lots of friends: You don't actually have to collect the money/XP wads for your friend to get credit and you to get your XP. Just tap the three action "starters," then switch to the next friend. The game will pick up all the money/xp and collect your xp reward for you.

I usually don't pick them up for my own town, either, when I've got a lot of things ready at once. After a few seconds, they'll swoop down to the money/xp bar on their own. I only pick up the ones that are in the way -- saves irritating doorbell noises when you click once too often and hit a house instead.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Drunken Smithers got waaay to drunk and went all Mr F on me.

Actually, what happened is that for some reason I had that boardwalk section away from the rest of them. I think I wanted to see if I had to make them all disconnected and then a little while later I found the human statue setting up his box over there. I watched for a while, wondering how he made his way over and then I saw him walk across the water to get back. What I found odd is that with the boardwalk section 'two' spaces away, the human statue (when I wasn't looking) got to it, but wouldn't leave it. Smithers got on and off it just fine. I had to move the section closer for the statue to walk back over.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:55 PM

I got some free fireworks today. Pretty sweet giveaway, they cost 50 donuts to buy. I love that they go off.

I am also super pumped that they provide 2.25% cash and XP.

I finally got to 60 donuts and spend every one of them on Bumblebee Man. I love him. Donuts well spent. And I have still managed to not put any real money into the game. It is so very tempting.

Happy 4th of July!
Old 07-05-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I got some free fireworks today. Pretty sweet giveaway, they cost 50 donuts to buy. I love that they go off.

I am also super pumped that they provide 2.25% cash and XP.

This annoys me - they just give away this prize, and have the crappiest Mystery Box Prizes.

oooooo, I played for a week, and I won a tree worth $200, or $250 cash (Actually WON this last time) !

We really need a sarcasm smiley.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

I just made a huge mistake while half asleep. I'm at level 30, so when you get your XP all the way up you get to choose one of those boxes. Then it says something like "Oh, you only got one donut, pick another box". Then I noticed that I could pick the last box too, so I clicked on it. Whatever, got a few donuts.

Didn't realize that I spent $50K on each of the two extra boxes. A few minutes later I noticed I was down to $250K when I was almost sure I went to bed with about $350. At least I'm getting to the point in the game where I can recover the $100K in a day, so it's not that I lost two weeks worth of work.

Last edited by Joey P; 07-05-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM

But trees are nice. The mystery box prizes aren't usually very good but I remember getting something decent once. I did get a gazebo once (and I already had one, so now I have two), and I got some picket fences a little while ago. It would be nice if they had better percentages to get something bigger and better like the stone walls or a premium item or even a boardwalk piece.

Anyway, the price of Herman's shop went down a week or so ago. I've been putting that off for a while because of the price and the new Squidport, but I built it this week.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyway, the price of Herman's shop went down a week or so ago. I've been putting that off for a while because of the price and the new Squidport, but I built it this week.
Did it? I'll have to take a look, last time I checked it was $349,000 and when I did the math, even if you clicked on every single time the $ popped up, it was going to take something like over a year to pay for itself. I figured I would buy it eventually, but it just wasn't worth it, even if it comes with a new character. Like you said, I'd rather put my energy towards Squidport. Also, we have the 4th of July stuff to work on right now.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

The Liberty Bell is the reward for completing the July 4 series of quests(Rex Banners').
Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Did it? I'll have to take a look, last time I checked it was $349,000 and when I did the math, even if you clicked on every single time the $ popped up, it was going to take something like over a year to pay for itself. I figured I would buy it eventually, but it just wasn't worth it, even if it comes with a new character. Like you said, I'd rather put my energy towards Squidport. Also, we have the 4th of July stuff to work on right now.
I thought it went from around $409000 to $249000 but I admit that I may have my numbers off (money is such an inexact science). Also, don't forget you get Herman as well, so he'll help you pay for the new build. You will need a training dummy if you want Herman to have a 1 hour task.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I thought it went from around $409000 to $249000 but I admit that I may have my numbers off (money is such an inexact science). Also, don't forget you get Herman as well, so he'll help you pay for the new build. You will need a training dummy if you want Herman to have a 1 hour task.
It was $349K when I first started paying attention to it, it may very well have been $409 when you first noticed it. It's $249K now though.
Either way, I'm still holding off, I just don't feel the need for it at the moment.