Old 07-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
I didn't say black people. By your arguments, the cops should shoot ALL people on the scene for their own safety, and it is unthinkable to demand they act otherwise.
So you agree with my statement that the video accurately describes what you believe cops believe.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
So you agree with my statement that the video accurately describes what you believe cops believe.
I haven't made any statements about what cops believe, just what you believe.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
By your arguments, the cops should shoot ALL people on the scene for their own safety,
While I'm sure you are making a point, describing an absurd situation, that is actually how things go down at times.

School shootings, hostage/bomb threats, there are times when mass amounts of people are being evacuated (to safety), but since the authorities don't know who the bad people are, they hold everyone at gunpoint as they run, with their arms up.

An innocent person who doesn't obey every command may be shot. In fact, if everyone disobeyed, they might all be shot. To protect the authorities of course.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I didn't say black people. By your arguments, the cops should shoot ALL people on the scene for their own safety, and it is unthinkable to demand they act otherwise.
No-one's argued anything like that. What has been happening is that many people, including you, have argued that cops shouldn't have the same right to self defence as anyone else. Which means being allowed to shoot and kill people who appear to be an imminent threat.

For some reason, you and the other idiots here seem to see "imminent" and understand "possible"...
Old 07-19-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMastermind View Post
An innocent person who doesn't obey every command
Yeah, about that... At the very minimum, someone who's not obey the cops when they're evacuating somewhere is guilty of disrupting the police doing their job, and probably putting other people at risk of whatever they're being evacuated from. There are times to be a dick and stand on your "rights"*, but that isn't one of them.

*That time, of course, is in court when you sue the police - well after you've obeyed their orders.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steophan View Post
No-one's argued anything like that. What has been happening is that many people, including you, have argued that cops shouldn't have the same right to self defence as anyone else. Which means being allowed to shoot and kill people who appear to be an imminent threat.

For some reason, you and the other idiots here seem to see "imminent" and understand "possible"...
Talk to your buddy Smapti. In his world, putting a hand in your pocket in the presence of a police officer justifies him killing you in self defense.

With that in mind, I'm happy to modify my earlier comment and say Smapti's argument suggests police, upon arrival at a scene, should pre-emptively shoot everyone who has pockets. The solution is to always be naked, I guess.

If you disagree, it means you want cops to be shot in the face instead. Do you disagree?
Old 07-19-2015, 07:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, about that... At the very minimum, someone who's not obey the cops when they're evacuating somewhere is guilty of disrupting the police doing their job, and probably putting other people at risk of whatever they're being evacuated from.
Of course, so the best way to be safe is to shoot anyone who doesn't obey, with out hesitation. If everybody is disobedient, kill em all, and let the courts sort it out later.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:02 PM

Steophan and Smapti say "imminent" when they mean "imaginable." That is, when it is a cop and a black person involved. Then they can imagine quite a lot.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:44 PM

Cop saves innocent man from death sentence

Another death row exoneration. Police and prosecutor misconduct. The good cop who finally put a stop to the death freight train lost his career over it.

Quote:
The prime-time show "48 Hours" was about to do a special on the case, and Callahan's command was a bit antsy.

"I had not even turned the first page when I got a phone call," Callahan said. It was from a local police official who, according to Callahan, had concerns about his reputation and feared being labeled "a dirty cop."
Old 07-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

But it's proof that the system works, because nobody got executed, right?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The solution is to always be naked, I guess.
Still not safe,could have a Derringer up the bunghole.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:20 PM

And you're exposing yourself, which is a sex crime.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
[Free Waterfall, Senior]That's nature's pocket![/FWS]
Old 07-20-2015, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grude View Post
[Chris Walken voice]I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass two years...[/CWv]
Old 07-20-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
Steophan and Smapti say "imminent" when they mean "imaginable." That is, when it is a cop and a black person involved. Then they can imagine quite a lot.
Nope. The two things are separate. But if it's reasonable to imagine, based on the circumstances, that someone is an imminent threat, you can shoot them. The threat does not have to be real, it has to be apparent to a reasonable person.

There can be good faith debate about whether it was reasonable to think the perception of danger was reasonable in any given case - but repeatedly pointing out that someone was unarmed is utterly irrelevant.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Nope. The two things are separate. But if it's reasonable to imagine, based on the circumstances, that someone is an imminent threat, you can shoot them. The threat does not have to be real, it has to be apparent to a reasonable person.
And as the both of you have shown us repeatedly, neither you nor Smapti are reasonable people.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
And as the both of you have shown us repeatedly, neither you nor Smapti are reasonable people.
To state that as a fact, rather than backing it up with any sort of, well, reason, is somewhat ironic.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
"Us"? Who is this "us" you are referring to? Does "us" refer to the people who object to anyone having a different opinion than "us" do?
Old 07-20-2015, 09:14 AM

Example 1
Quote:
Nice, taking your pathetic beliefs and attributing them to me. Let me guess - you're rubber and I'm glue?
Example 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian View Post
I'd just like to note that it's posts like these that make the interweb so gosh darn interesting to read.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
"Us"? Who is this "us" you are referring to? Does "us" refer to the people who object to anyone having a different opinion than "us" do?
Well, we'd gladly lump you in with them, but it'd be easier if you changed your username to "sorehinge".

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 07-20-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, we'd gladly lump you in with them, but it'd be easier if you changed your username to "sorehinge".
I was thinking "unhinged".
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, if he became "offhinge", we could call them the SoS gang. Somehow, SSd or SdS seem inapropos.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Was the question too difficult for you? You're still referring to yourself in the plural sense. Who do you believe you represent?

FYI - there is no reason for you to change your nom de plume. Bryan Ekers would still mean Bryan Ekers, for whatever that's worth.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:24 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Was the question too difficult for you? You're still referring to yourself in the plural sense. Who do you believe you represent?

FYI - there is no reason for you to change your nom de plume. Bryan Ekers would still mean Bryan Ekers, for whatever that's worth.
I think this one puts it in the "unhinged" column, Bryan.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
To state that as a fact, rather than backing it up with any sort of, well, reason, is somewhat ironic.
Cite: This entire thread.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I've often suspected that you do a lot of thinking unhinged. It's nice you can finally admit it. Which step is that in your recovery program?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
I've often suspected that you do a lot of thinking unhinged. It's nice you can finally admit it. Which step is that in your recovery program?
It took you an hour and a half to basically say "I know you are but what am I?"

Sad.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In that particular context, smart-alecks.

Quote:
It offers me the perfect comeback to the occasional claim that it's easy to criticize from behind a veil of anonymity, i.e. someone is losing the argument, plays one of the few trump cards they think they have - "well, you're just a bunch of anonymous internet cowards" or whatever.

Example

Example

Example

Example

Example
Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
It took you an hour and a half to basically say "I know you are but what am I?"

Sad.
Was there a time limit? Do you hear a ticking clock? Does anyone else hear your ticking clock? What makes you sad? Are you often sad? Does it make you sad that others do not devote all of their time waiting for your royal edicts? Do you realize that you're not really the Czar of anything? What? Too soon?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think this one puts it in the "unhinged" column, Bryan.
Okay, so I propose this triumvirate be known as "sus" for the purposes of mockery, though I will cheerfully acknowledge that doorhinge/unhinge might not be deserving of parity with Steophan and Smapti until he contributes quite a bit more to the thread.

ETA:
In light of the post immediately preceding this one, which sneaked in there while I was typing, I withdraw the proposal since doorhinge/unhinge is very clearly NOT deserving of parity with S&S since they're mostly earnest in their irrationality and doorhinge is prone to outbursts of lame attempts at humour which undercuts anything serious he might have to say on the issue.

Last edited by Bryan Ekers; 07-20-2015 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
.....It offers me the perfect comeback to the occasional claim that it's easy to criticize from behind a veil of anonymity, i.e. someone is losing the argument, plays one of the few trump cards they think they have - "well, you're just a bunch of anonymous internet cowards" or whatever.

Example
You think you're married to Morgan Fairchild. Does she have a restraining order against you?

Meanwhile, I'm sure that Bryan Ekers is very important to Bryan Ekers.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
You think you're married to Morgan Fairchild. Does she have a restraining order against you?

Meanwhile, I'm sure that Bryan Ekers is very important to Bryan Ekers.
Keep going.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
.....prone to outbursts of lame attempts at humour which undercuts anything serious he might have to say on the issue.
(post shortened)

Hahahaha. Undercuts anything serious said in the BBQ pit. You're a hoot.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:28 PM

I can tell doorhinge is winning the thread, because he's explicitly laughing and using smilies to mock you guys.

Where's your emoticonic punctuation, Czarcasm? And how about your onomatopoeic laughter, Bryan? Hmmm?

The problem with you bleeding heart liberals is you just don't understand rhetoric.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
(post shortened)

Anything else?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Do you hear a ticking clock?
Once more for a simple twist of fate
Old 07-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post
I can tell doorhinge is winning the thread, because he's explicitly laughing and using smilies to mock you guys.

Where's your emoticonic punctuation, Czarcasm? And how about your onomatopoeic laughter, Bryan? Hmmm?

The problem with you bleeding heart liberals is you just don't understand rhetoric.
Harrumph, I say, HARRUMPH!
Old 07-20-2015, 01:33 PM
Champion Chili Chef
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophon41 View Post

I'm thinking of using him as the poster child for a "Internet Tourette's Syndrome" campaign.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

Quote:
A wise old owl lived in an oak.
The more he saw, the less he spoke.
The less he spoke, the more he heard.
Why can't you be like that old bird?
Old 07-20-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
Cite: This entire thread.
Then you actually don't know what reason is. You can disagree with my reasoning (as iiandyiiii does) without pretending it doesn't exist, as so many others do, because presumably they dislike the conclusions but can't show them to be invalid.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Quote:
Then you actually don't know what reason is. You can disagree with my reasoning (as iiandyiiii does) without pretending it doesn't exist, as so many others do, because presumably they dislike the conclusions but can't show them to be invalid.
You HAVE no reasoning other than blind worship of authority and the need to fellate cops at every opportunity. You and Smapti think coward cops should shoot anybody who scares them, which apparently is all black people who are not already in jail for not bowing to the Will of the Cop sufficiently quickly.

Unhinged is merely a delusional whack job. You and Smapti are downright dangerous to Civilization.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
You and Smapti think coward cops should shoot anybody who scares them, which apparently is all black people who are not already in jail for not bowing to the Will of the Cop sufficiently quickly.
Straw, meet man. Man, straw.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:24 PM

I can understand why polls are banned in the pit, but could we at least consider a show of hands system. Just so when someone like Doorhinge says "waddya mean, us", the various people in stark disagreement can indicate who they are.

Think of it as a preemptive strike against "I've had loads of private messages supporting me"
Old 07-20-2015, 07:26 PM

Date of story is July 18, but date of incident was June 18.

DASHCAM: COPS KILL UNARMED MOM, BRAG ABOUT SHOOTING HER UNTIL ‘HER FACE EXPLODED’ (VIDEO)

Disturbed and likely impaired, but unarmed, white woman shot even though she was no immediate threat to anyone.

Quote:
Completely cornered, with four non-existent tires and nowhere to go, the disturbed woman was still pushing her accelerator, moving the car a few inches forward and back in an extremely futile way. Georgia State Trooper Jonathon Malone went around the back to remove her from the vehicle, but was told to move by Glynn County officers Sgt. Robert C. Sasser and Officer Michael T. Simpson because as Simpson said, “if she moves the car again I’m going to shoot her.”

That’s exactly what happened. After a slight push of maybe a few inches, multiple rounds from their service weapons and the episode, along with a young mother’s life, was over.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution story
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
DASHCAM: COPS KILL UNARMED MOM, BRAG ABOUT SHOOTING HER UNTIL ‘HER FACE EXPLODED’ (VIDEO)
Disturbed and likely impaired, but unarmed, white woman shot even though she was no immediate threat to anyone.
Atlanta Journal-Constitution story
In the cops' defense, there's a fair bit of glare on her windshield. It would've been very hard to see inside her vehicle--she could have been black.

Seriously though, that as an ego-shooting--she did not obey so she was punished.
It was not about protecting anyone.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBucky View Post
Not that it makes a difference to the thread or detracts from the horror of the shooting, but the incident actually happened June 18, 2010. It's back in the news because it's relevant to the resurgent public interest in police use of deadly force. And because the GBI investigator says there was police collusion to protect the officers from the consequences of a shooting he flatly asserts was not justified.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotX View Post
she did not obey so she was punished.
It was not about protecting anyone.
No kidding. There was nowhere for her to go.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM
BANNED

The more I read about these cases, the more widespread the issues become. It's not just cops murdering people, it's the lies, corruption and cover ups, the whole system starts to look corrupt.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:25 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

"Look?"
Old 07-21-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXMastermind View Post
The more I read about these cases, the more widespread the issues become. It's not just cops murdering people, it's the lies, corruption and cover ups, the whole system starts to look corrupt.
Oh, my sweet summer child...