Old 03-29-2018, 08:56 AM

Splitting Up Together (new TV show)

This is one of ABC's new shows, starring Jenna Fischer (The Office) and Oliver Hudson (Rules of Engagement). I like both the leads so I was looking forward to it, despite the premise: a couple who are divorcing but due to finances, choose to both remain in the home. Overall I thought it was just okay, though JF and OH did not disappoint.

One thing I found kind of strange was the subplot about the older son who is going through puberty and suffering from enlarged and painful testicles. Not a one off joke but a whole story line. Does that strike anyone else as odd? Not saying I was offended or disgusted or anything just kind of . . .surprised (?) At one point the doctor tells JF to encourage / facilitate masturbation and we find her trying to fix up the pantry so it's a comfortable place for him to go because he shares a bedroom with his younger brother.
There's multiple instances of her and her son texting about it.

Has this been addressed in a sitcom before? Do you think it's equivalent to the "very special" episodes where a teenage girl gets her first period? If you've seen this show, did you find this part weird? Even if you didn't see it, does it sound unusual to you?
Old 03-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I was going to reply yesterday, but I hadn't watched the show yet. That has been remedied.

1. I, too, like both Jenna and Oliver.

b. I do think they were going for a similar scenario to 'dad had to deal with daughter's first period, ack!' I don't think I've seen this dealt with before on tv, but I related because I've had the puberty, masturbation, etc. talk with my grandson. I think they were also going for a 'men aren't the only ones who can be a stubborn, blind to the obvious solution parent' when she had the dad right there to help.

iii. I like Jenna and Oliver together here, and the realization of mistakes they made, so I kinda hope for growth and reconciliation (it's tv, I can want nice things).