Old 10-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

The upshot from this thread is, I gather, that it's very easy to pick apart this premise (or at least as much of the premise as we can gather from one episode), but I could easily forgive that if the show is entertaining.

Heck, I watched Sons of Anarchy all the way to the end and it was massively stupid at times.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:48 PM

[Q

But here's a question. How much is "repair" vs "replace"? Can a guest damage one beyond repair? Do they have extra Dolores's or Teddy's? When they say Dolores was the first one, do they just mean her program and the bodies are disposable? But then why do they put the malfunctioning ones in storage?

Well, repair vs replace? Obviously they were able to fix Teddy up after he got himself ventilated by Ed Harris, so to a certain reasonable level they must be able to fix even "fatal" injuries. I honestly can't fathom how it could be easier to make a new host than fix one, they are shown "printing " them strand by strand. Even current 3D printing takes into account the cost of materials, so in terms of material and time, it would be much more cost efficient to make Teddy a new heart, or Delores new intestines, than make an all new one.

They don't seem to have "spares" as it is mentioned that Delores' father had been in a few different roles. So they seem to build new unique hosts, and after the scenario plays out, they can program a new role for that host before it plays out again. So conceivably Delores could be the prostitute next time, and a school marm the time after that, but if her "brain" went bad, or she got damaged beyond repair, they would just hang her in the basement, and one of the other female hosts would play her role. They may be building new female hosts, but none of them would be Delores.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
The upshot from this thread is, I gather, that it's very easy to pick apart this premise (or at least as much of the premise as we can gather from one episode), but I could easily forgive that if the show is entertaining.

Heck, I watched Sons of Anarchy all the way to the end and it was massively stupid at times.
I have a feeling that we like to pick apart the flaws of sci-fi shows to death. Maybe it's a part of being a sci-fi fan - we are overly pedantic about how it works .
Old 10-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have a feeling that we like to pick apart the flaws of sci-fi shows to death. Maybe it's a part of being a sci-fi fan - we are overly pedantic about how it works .
You know, I never had this problem until I became a member of this board. Now I find myself picking apart sci-fi shows all the damn time!

Y'all broke sci-fi for me!
Old 10-06-2016, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
You know, I never had this problem until I became a member of this board. Now I find myself picking apart sci-fi shows all the damn time!

Y'all broke sci-fi for me!
Well, sooner or later, someone will come along and smugly say "You know, science fiction is never about the future, it's all about describing the present."

I'm inclined to say "fuck off" to that person, and continue contemplating how the proposed technology would actually work in the future, its social impacts and limitations and unrealized potentials and such. What's a show like this going to tell us about the present, anyway; that humans are capable of quite astonishing sadism? We can watch the nightly news for that. Or that most human lives boil down to mind-numbing routines? Yeah, big insight there, buddy.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetums View Post
Well, repair vs replace? Obviously they were able to fix Teddy up after he got himself ventilated by Ed Harris, so to a certain reasonable level they must be able to fix even "fatal" injuries. I honestly can't fathom how it could be easier to make a new host than fix one, they are shown "printing " them strand by strand. Even current 3D printing takes into account the cost of materials, so in terms of material and time, it would be much more cost efficient to make Teddy a new heart, or Delores new intestines, than make an all new one.
A lot of it also depends on how much of their body is actually "functional". That is to say, they don't have real hearts or brains. They "die" because they are programed to fall over and die when shot. I don't think they are necessarily "broken".
Old 10-06-2016, 09:39 PM

Saw the first episode tonight and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Although it surprises me that it's apparently something they want to keep going for multiple years on end. I honestly thought this was a one-shot 6 or 7 episode thing. I rather enjoyed myself, but I can't forsee myself wanting to watch this for years on end.

As for the NPCs interacting with each other when no "outsider" is talking with them, you've never played Elder Scrolls have you? You can spend hours and hours just following the random NPCs around as they go about their daily lives. They talk, argue, fight, make sales and even more when you're not around. Hell, there's even a character that has a job and a wife and goes and sleeps at some other chick's house every Sunday...just cause.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:53 PM

Just watched the second episode, which was released early online. The show gets better and better, some really intriguing developments in this one. The automatons are becoming more and more aware. This won't end well.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:18 PM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosio Spinola View Post
I was actually thinking after watching the premiere that this would probably be better in some sort of VR environment rather than building real life robots....
Yeah, probably more realistic and much cheaper in a decade or two to have all the guests "sleeping" on comfy couches Matrix-style (but without the need for big jacks on the backs of their skulls), while in their minds they're off drinking, killing, robbing or raping in a Wild West setting.
Old 10-07-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Yeah, probably more realistic and much cheaper in a decade or two to have all the guests "sleeping" on comfy couches Matrix-style (but without the need for big jacks on the backs of their skulls), while in their minds they're off drinking, killing, robbing or raping in a Wild West setting.
I could totally recall doing that if it happened.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I'm not sure we're given any indication that the reboot is every day. Ed Harris is certainly still wandering the wilderness at the end of the episode. And I'd think some of the storylines would take multiple days.
You're right. I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was implied that Delores woke up everyday, said good morning to her dad and made plans to go paint. Perhaps her storyline happens once a week.

Actually the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Westworld wouldn't want its guests to pay top dollar for their adventure, shoot an outlaw and then see the same hombre walking around town the next day. I'm guessing that would freak anybody out.

Last edited by Flare4roach; 10-07-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosio Spinola View Post
I was actually thinking after watching the premiere that this would probably be better in some sort of VR environment rather than building real life robots.
...you've probably stumbled across the "twist" to the series. THEY ARE ALL IN A VR ENVIRONMENT!!! EVEN THE CREATORS! Or maybe they are all robots!
Old 10-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banquet Bear View Post
...you've probably stumbled across the "twist" to the series. THEY ARE ALL IN A VR ENVIRONMENT!!! EVEN THE CREATORS! Or maybe they are all robots!
When they did the big zoom-out of the train and showed it was essentially a scale model on a large table, I thought there was going to be a virtual-reality angle, truth be told, but then I couldn't figure out why they were building life-size robots.

I didn't get that this was a futuristicky monitoring system (similar but more advanced than the one used in the first X-Men movie) until later in the episode.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:44 PM

That table is apparently just a monitor of the entire park.

I watched episode 2 as well (it's on HBO Go right now) and I agree the show is still good.

As far as VR vs. Synthetics, I wouldn't be shocked if in the outside world there are already VR Parks that are West World's competitors and their very selling point is that everything in WW is real.

I wonder if there is a Roman World and Medieva lWord like in the original movie. If I lived in that world Medieval World is probably the Park I would pick.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Did anyone catch what was playing on the player piano? It wasn't playing old-timey western saloon music but rather modern tunes. I didn't get clued in until the last song, when it was playing "Black Hole Sun". (The background music to the big gunfight was "Paint It Black", but that wasn't on the player piano.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I noticed Black Hole Sun and Paint it Black, I didn't notice the music before that. Black Hole Sun made me wonder how far in the future this is set. I didn't know if the expected response from visitors is "oh listen honey it's playing Black Hole Sun," or if this is far enough in the future that it's just some song that most people don't know. They obviously aren't going for total accuracy, the place is like Western movies and not actually like the real old west, but I didn't know if deliberate obvious anachronisms would be inserted like that.
I know I'm stating what's obvious and already been discussed, but I immediately recognized Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun the second the automated piano started to play it.

Loving the story so far... Especially this preemptive look into the 2nd episode on xfinity's site.

Last edited by cmyk; 10-07-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:33 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrerd View Post
i could totally recall doing that if it happened.
iswydt.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:32 AM

Radiohead's No Surprises on the player piano, in case anyone missed it.

Last edited by Shakester; 10-08-2016 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

I know there's no point trying to poke holes in the premise but (spoilers for episode 2):

SPOILER:
We're to believe that a for-profit company has possessed the technology for turing test passing humanoid robots for 30 years now and the only place they're used is in a rich people's theme park? Liam McPoyle wanders into the park like he's never seen a robot before in his life.

Their entire board of directors should be fired since they're apparently so rapacious for increased profits and yet, for an entire 30 years, haven't been able to come up with a single other profitable use for these robots. Really?
Old 10-08-2016, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
I know there's no point trying to poke holes in the premise but (spoilers for episode 2):

SPOILER:
We're to believe that a for-profit company has possessed the technology for turing test passing humanoid robots for 30 years now and the only place they're used is in a rich people's theme park? Liam McPoyle wanders into the park like he's never seen a robot before in his life.

Their entire board of directors should be fired since they're apparently so rapacious for increased profits and yet, for an entire 30 years, haven't been able to come up with a single other profitable use for these robots. Really?
SPOILER:
The key word there is profitable. The robots could be so expensive to make and maintain that restricting their use to theme parks for the rich is the only way they can turn a profit. Also the very fact that the public can only see and interact with these marvels of technology in Westworld would be a huge selling-point.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:48 AM

It's also possible there are laws against having lifelike Synthetic people outside of a controlled environment like a Park. Although I am sure if there is still a military in this time period, it contains artificial people.

One of my favorite things about this show so far is the questions it raises about morality. Would you treat a person like garbage because you know they aren't "real" no matter how life like they seem? I am pretty sure I couldn't do it.

Last edited by Quimby; 10-08-2016 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare4roach View Post
You're right. I hadn't thought of that. I thought it was implied that Delores woke up everyday, said good morning to her dad and made plans to go paint. Perhaps her storyline happens once a week.

Actually the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. Westworld wouldn't want its guests to pay top dollar for their adventure, shoot an outlaw and then see the same hombre walking around town the next day. I'm guessing that would freak anybody out.
Maybe the hosts that are not involved in any storyline reboot while the others don't. There has to be enough adventures for guests to start every single day, so hosts that get turned down like the treasure map guy simply reset and wait for more guests while the others continue on with their storylines. So Dolores runs her routine every day until someone tries to pick her up in town or comes rape her at night.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
So Dolores runs her routine every day until someone tries to pick her up in town or comes rape her at night.
"What, and give up show business?!"
Old 10-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
What happens if more than one guest wants to "visit" Dolores in a particular night?

For that matter, what's the point of "off-camera" interactions i.e. out of sight of the guests, like between Dolores and her father every morning?
That was the main thing that bothered me. It seemed like a lot of time and effort had gone into stuff that wasn't ever seen by the customers of the park.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Sparky View Post
I remember watching the original on TV as a kid (parents where next door for a party and I had a freedom to watch what I wanted on the tele). It scary the bejesus out of me. Not so much that it was scary-scary but that bleak-physiological element it had got to me!
In the bar fight in the movie, how do they prevent guests from beating each other up instead of just the robots?
Or do they? Is that just the risk the guests take?
When they sign the waver to get in, the guests just assume that any guest caused injury is just part of the deal.
Old 10-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randwill View Post
That was the main thing that bothered me. It seemed like a lot of time and effort had gone into stuff that wasn't ever seen by the customers of the park.
The second episode clarified this a little bit - suggesting that the hosts were designed to function autonomously, i.e. when there were no guests around, because it helped them keep in "practice", refining their interactive skills.

Of course, I'm a tad baffled by the little British boy - it looks like his function is to pretend to be a guest, and a bored guest at that. Maybe... he finds actual guests who may be bored and tries to reverse-psychology them into going exploring or something.

So anyway, it's established that the bullets in Westworld hit hard enough to shatter glass bottles (and Ed Harris's character is shooting special loads that can punch through an abode wall, it is implied, but there may be a story behind that), so the idea that the bullet harmlessly go "poof" when hitting a human makes no sense. Do the bullets have some kind of instant-sensing device that makes them self destruct if they touch a human?

The reaction of the techs when confronted by the Madam when she has a scalpel in her hand suggests knives are still potentially lethal. If a host in the park tries to stab a guest, does the blade instantly disintegrate like the bullets?

Further, if the nature of the park is the further one goes from the central town, the more "intense" the storylines get, I'd expect the level of scrutiny by park managers to be a lot higher because it sounds like the personal risks to the guests increases. Sooner or later, someone's got to notice the oddness of Harris's behaviour.

And if I was giving my big presentation and the boss flatly said "No" like that in front of everybody, I'd probably consider quitting on the spot.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Sooner or later, someone's got to notice the oddness of Harris's behaviour.
They know all about Harris' behaviour. There was a scene in Episode 2 when two of the technicians were watching Harris at his worst. One of them says to the other, "Shall I slow him down?". His superior replies, "No, that guy can do anything he wants." The implication is that Harris is someone very important.

Last edited by aldiboronti; 10-09-2016 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:39 PM

It was interesting that a worker noticed the massive death toll inflicted by the Man in Black. Even more interesting was the response of the other guy: "That gentleman gets whatever he wants." Apparently the Man in Black is something of a VIP (not surprising given his claim to have been visiting the park for 30 years).

I liked that Hopkins' character says the reason people keep coming back to the park is because it can still surprise them with little details they never noticed before. The Man in Black seemed delighted to learn that the desperado had a family he had kept hidden. The possibility of continual discovery would be appealing to many people.

The park might spend a huge amount of time and energy making thousands of subtle details, character nuances, and hidden stories. Each individual detail might be missed by 95%+ of the visitors, but the 5% who notice are likely to be amazed at the level of immersion they feel. And each visitor will be different in which details she or he notices or misses - even if they miss most, they'll likely stumble upon something different each time they visit.

What I'm wondering is if there is some kind of forum where past guests share stories and piece together the world. I imagine thread titles like:

"First time WW guest next week!!! So excited - which storylines are best for beginners?"
"Was anyone else totally amazed at the resolution of the Lost Treasure story? [SPOILERS!]"
"Visiting WW with children: Best family-friendly activities for kids?"
"What's the most depraved thing you've done to a host? (Anonymous posting allowed)"
"List of all Known Storylines and Characters - Updated 10/9/2176"
Old 10-09-2016, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldiboronti View Post
They know all about Harris' behaviour. There was a scene in Episode 2 when two of the technicians were watching Harris at his worst. One of them says to the other, "Shall I slow him down?". His superior replies, "No, that guy can do anything he wants." The implication is that Harris is someone very important.
Nonetheless, if he's trying to hack the system in some way, somebody'll catch on.

Or if they don't, then it's kind of a plot hole if the premise is that the guests are constantly monitored for safety and their effect on pre-existing narratives.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:31 AM
SDSAB

Good second episode. I like learning more about how the park is run. Dolores is showing hidden depths - that actress can do a lot just with a gaze or a furrowed brow. The scene of the arrival of the guests, and the slinky flirtation of the white-dressed hostess with the noob, was well done. Interesting, too, that the female exec and the Jeffrey Wright character are lovers.

Why didn't the two panicky techs sound an alarm or trigger a lockdown when the whore woke up and grabbed a knife? Didn't want to draw attention to their bungling?

Quote:
...I'm a tad baffled by the little British boy - it looks like his function is to pretend to be a guest, and a bored guest at that. Maybe... he finds actual guests who may be bored and tries to reverse-psychology them into going exploring or something....
I had the impression that that was supposed to be a young Anthony Hopkins. The founding WW programmer likes talking with a version of his younger self.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:46 AM

I'm struggling to like this. It's just plodding along so slowly, it's difficult to stay interested. It's trying to be so moody that it's putting me to sleep.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:35 AM

when I seen the movie it sounded like what would be called a LARP today. Now the series sounds like a live western mmorpg just with robots
Old 10-10-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
when I seen the movie it sounded like what would be called a LARP today. Now the series sounds like a live western mmorpg just with robots
The way they talk about it, it is definitely modeled after an MMORPG.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Quote:
Of course, I'm a tad baffled by the little British boy - it looks like his function is to pretend to be a guest, and a bored guest at that. Maybe... he finds actual guests who may be bored and tries to reverse-psychology them into going exploring or something.
I had the impression that that was supposed to be a young Anthony Hopkins. The founding WW programmer likes talking with a version of his younger self.
Either that, or maybe a robot based on his son who died young.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

When the Man in Black (Ed Harris's character) was talking to Lawrence (Clifton Collins, Jr's character), he said something like, "I've been coming here for thirty years. Heck, I was practically born here." I wonder about that. Perhaps he really was born there, in that he's a "host"/robot?
Old 10-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Scalps seem to matter.

There is a secret map on the inside of one that Ed Harris's MiB knew to look for.

Thandie Newton's hooker flashed back to almost being scalped.

ETA: yes, this is a slow-to-unfold story. I suspect the first season will best be served by a binge-watch. Then once the pieces are defined and set in motion, the next seasons will have their own pace. This is sorta what happened with Game of Thrones - it didn't all come together until the end of the first season, the unexpected death and everything getting put into motion.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-10-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:45 AM

I wonder if The Man in Black isn't a guest that got clobbered in the "incident" 30 years ago and got patched up with robo-technology.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:15 AM

For those interested in such things, here's a breakdown of Pa Abernathy's Shakespeare quotes. Some very well-chosen excerpts there.

Also, apparently the repeated reference to a "deep and dreamless slumber" is borrowed from the Sherlock Holmes story "A Study in Scarlet", and "A rose is a rose is a rose" is the aforementioned Gertrude Stein (riffing off Shakespeare's Juliet, of course). And Dolores' look is supposed to be evocative of Alice from "Alice in Wonderland".
Old 10-10-2016, 11:48 AM

If what keeps guests safe from hosts attacks is special guns with human-sensing disintegrating bullets, I wonder if the gun Dolores dug up at the end there is a "normal" gun that someone smuggled into the park, one which will allow her to actually kill guests?

I thought the second episode was a bit worse than the first... more psychological wankery, less actual stuff happening. And the bit with the newly proposed plotline and the way Anthony Hopkins rejected it was just not the way actual humans act, or the way organizations are set up. If it's a flat no due to such a fundamental objection, that would have happened months ago, before paying all the employees to create all those hosts, etc. Just irritating sloppiness in a show which is generally so good at so many little details.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The way they talk about it, it is definitely modeled after an MMORPG.
Even player archetypes are there. There's the newbie who wants to talk to every NPC. There's the guy who's been around the block a few times, who knows you don't talk to a quest giver unless and until you're ready to accept their quest. Then there's the Man in Black, who's so jaded that he's looking for ways to break the game.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
When the Man in Black (Ed Harris's character) was talking to Lawrence (Clifton Collins, Jr's character), he said something like, "I've been coming here for thirty years. Heck, I was practically born here." I wonder about that. Perhaps he really was born there, in that he's a "host"/robot?
I thought the "born here" was possibly referring to how he discovered who he really was, his true nature, etc. due to the things he did in WW.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Then there's the Man in Black, who's so jaded that he's looking for ways to break the game.
Sooner or later he'll run into a border raider.

It'll be Griefer v. Reaver.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:26 PM

I thought it was another good episode, even if not as much happened. I did love No Surprises on the player piano. I would have thought there would be an orientation, or at least more of an explanation of the risks that the guests are taking on. It seems like it would be trivially easy for a guest to stab another, or maybe even shoot another, either on accident or on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
It's also possible there are laws against having lifelike Synthetic people outside of a controlled environment like a Park. Although I am sure if there is still a military in this time period, it contains artificial people.

One of my favorite things about this show so far is the questions it raises about morality. Would you treat a person like garbage because you know they aren't "real" no matter how life like they seem? I am pretty sure I couldn't do it.
Or it's possible that the robots that people run into in real life aren't as lifelike because they don't need to be. I'm sure it's much more expensive to have lifelike robots, and if a robot is giving you your airplane ticket or cleaning your kitchen it doesn't need to be lifelike, or even anthropomorphic.

I would think most people would hesitate to treat a host like garbage because they aren't real, because people do tend to anthropomorphize things that aren't even human-like, this Ikea commercial being a good example. But plenty of people do treat other real people as garbage here in the real world. And I'm sure that's not the first time the jerk co-worker has yelled at someone in a restaurant to go away and stop bothering his table, even if he usually doesn't stab them.

Quote:
And if I was giving my big presentation and the boss flatly said "No" like that in front of everybody, I'd probably consider quitting on the spot.
Also, it seems like a big waste of resources for him to be shot down like that after all the work has been done. I would have thought Anthony Hopkins would have to sign off on the storyboards or character sketches or something, not wait until everything is done.

Quote:
Nonetheless, if he's trying to hack the system in some way, somebody'll catch on.

Or if they don't, then it's kind of a plot hole if the premise is that the guests are constantly monitored for safety and their effect on pre-existing narratives.
Obviously someone does know he's trying to hack the system, since the daughter stopped crying and being scared and calmly told him "the maze is not for you" and something that was like a clue. But I have no idea who it was that got the little girl to say that, if it was Hopkins or who else.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:

SPOILER:

Also, just because the guests haven't seen lifelike robots running around in real life, doesn't mean that they haven't run into other uses of the technology. Westworld could be a profitable R&D type facility. The Corporation could have the 3-D printing, artificial intelligence, prediction of human behaviors, surveillance, and other technology used in the park used in very different ways in the real world that the the guests wouldn't have necessarily encountered or noticed.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

If supermodel fuckbots CAN operate outside of the park, I'd be quite surprised if they're not doing so.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
I thought it was another good episode, even if not as much happened. I did love No Surprises on the player piano. I would have thought there would be an orientation, or at least more of an explanation of the risks that the guests are taking on. It seems like it would be trivially easy for a guest to stab another, or maybe even shoot another, either on accident or on purpose.
Like in the original movie, the guns won't shoot other humans. We saw this when the James Marsden character tried to shoot the Ed Harris character. We also saw it in Maeve's flashback when she tried to shoot Ed Harris. The way these guns work hasn't really been explained though.
As for the knives, the showrunners gave this explanation but it doesn't sound very foolproof to me.
Quote:
We talked a lot about the rules of the park. A lot of it isnít made explicit in the series but thereís something called the Good Samaritan Reflex within the hosts. So say youíre in a bar fight and some guy has a knife and maybe thereís even another guest that you didnít know and he thinks youíre a host and heís gonna stab you in the back. In that instance, a good Samaritan host would seamlessly intersect and get in that fight and literally take that knife for you. Now accidents can happen Ė falling off a cliff and things like that. But you know itís mitigated somewhat because even the animals Ė aside from the flies Ė are hosts, so no horse is going to buck you to your death.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/09...second-episode
Old 10-11-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Like in the original movie, the guns won't shoot other humans. We saw this when the James Marsden character tried to shoot the Ed Harris character. We also saw it in Maeve's flashback when she tried to shoot Ed Harris. The way these guns work hasn't really been explained though.
As for the knives, the showrunners gave this explanation but it doesn't sound very foolproof to me.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/09...second-episode
We've seen hosts try to shoot guests, but hadn't seen one guest try to shoot another, but the jerk co-worker was very confident that shooting someone would be the way to prove if someone was a host or not so I guess that is basically foolproof.

The knife explanation is interesting, and would seem to indicate that they have very advanced technology if they can anticipate guests behavior and jump in just in time. Pretty similar to Person of Interest really.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:35 AM

...interesting interviews with the showrunners here: (Open spoilers to episode two, and some general open spoilers about the mechanics of the park, so don't read if you want to remain completely unspoiled.)

Just another interview with the show-runners, making the point that they are gamers:

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/couple...know-wrong-us/

Quote:
JOY: We expect the show to be thought-provoking, because itís thought-provoking for us. When I play Grand Theft Auto, Iím such a nerdy little law abider because Iíve always had this active imagination in which I sympathize and empathize with things. When other people turn off the game, they donít think, ďOh my goodness, I just ran over four pedestrians, how terrible. I wonder if their family has health insurance?Ē
I think the same way.

On how the guns works:

http://www.thisisinsider.com/westwor...-kill-robots-6

Quote:
Human can shoot and kill the hosts as often as they want. But when the hosts shoot back (or when a guest tries to shoot another guest) the bullets won't penetrate skin ó instead it hits the guests but with minimal impact. In an interview with Rotten Tomatoes, co-creator Jonathan Nolan explained how the guns and bullets work.

"We thought a lot about this," Nolan told Rotten Tomatoes. "In the original film, the guns won't operate guest on guest, but we felt like the guests would want to have a more visceral experience here. So when they're shot it has sort of the impact. They're called simunitions. The U.S. military trains with rounds like the ones we're talking about. But there's a bit of an impact, a bit of a sting. So it's not entirely consequence-free for the guests."
So I imagine they are like pellet guns. Shoot it at a human, it stings like hell. Shoot it at a host, it breaks the "skin", triggers an explosive bolt of some sort and out comes the blood and gore.

There is a "Westworld Experience" website which in their infinite wisdom is not available outside of the US: so please let me know what is there.

https://discoverwestworld.com/

Apparently the cost per person is $40,000 per day, and people have died in the park. From another article about the website:

Quote:
Statistically speaking, you are more likely to die from lightning strike than to die while in a Delos park. However, the following causes of accidental death have occurred within the Delos Destinations compound: buffalo stampede, self- cannibalism, accidental hanging, drowning, 3rd-degree burns, autoerotic asphyxiation, blunt force trauma, allergic reaction to non-native plant life, falling from great heights, common manslaughter, tumbleweeds.
Old 10-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Charter Member

How does one accidentally self-cannibalize? Hit the buffet while blindfolded?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:

SPOILER:

Yes, it would seem unlikely that they have robots this advanced for 30 years and society would not be overrun with even simpler robots doing every mundane task.

To play devils advocate, we actually don't know what the rest of society is like. Maybe they do have lots of robots. You just can't go around fucking and shooting them with impunity.

Also, these robots seem very high maintenance. That may make them cost prohibitive for most functions.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheVool View Post
And the bit with the newly proposed plotline and the way Anthony Hopkins rejected it was just not the way actual humans act, or the way organizations are set up. If it's a flat no due to such a fundamental objection, that would have happened months ago, before paying all the employees to create all those hosts, etc. Just irritating sloppiness in a show which is generally so good at so many little details.
I just watched the 2nd episode and I recall they set this up earlier in the episode with a conversation between "storyline creator" executive and "tough female" executive. Storyline guy was telling her about it and she questioned him that the storyline had not been submitted for prior approval, etc.

Last edited by MeanJoe; 10-11-2016 at 10:18 AM.