#1  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Two Many Cats is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,632

I Found a Banana Peel on the Sidewalk


While waiting for the bus, I saw a banana peel laying on the sidewalk. It was all brown and disgusting, but it was unmistakably a banana peel.

"Ahah!" thought I, "Here is my Mythbusters Moment. Here I answer a question that has plagued humanity since the earliest days of traveling vaudeville. Is it true that stepping on a banana peel will make you slip?"

I walked up and dangled my foot over the rotting fruit skin. It was surprisingly difficult to force myself to step on it. Was it revulsion, or was it fear of the unknown that made me hesitate? Was it my self preservation instinct? The ennui of existentialism?

Whatever it was, I pushed past the doubts in my mind,
and stepped down. Immediately, my foot slid sideways. I could feel the shriveled skin and whithered banana threads grinding between the cement and the bottom of my shoe. I lifted my foot quickly, lest I be swept away into peril.

But I had my answer! The cliche was still a cliche, but it was the truth all the same. Banana peels can make you slip!

I retreated in triumph for my bus was approaching. There was a trash can nearby, but I did not toss the squashed banana peel into it, for I was reeling in excitement at my discovery.

Besides, it was really, really icky.
  #2  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:40 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
Cool!
I've dangerously walked under ladders many times. And I have stepped in a bucket of paint on the floor. I never pondered or even gave it much thought. I was kinda pissed about the bucket of paint, though.
  #3  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:54 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
And I have stepped in a bucket of paint on the floor.
I thought that only happened in Loony Tunes cartoons. Wait, are you telling us that your life is just like ... oh, never mind!
  #4  
Old 05-19-2019, 12:55 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,876
I pick up rakes by stepping on the tines. Works as advertised.
  #5  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:03 PM
markn+ is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: unknown; Speed: exactly 0
Posts: 2,343
Did you ever have an anvil fall on your head? That really smarts.
  #6  
Old 05-19-2019, 01:07 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
Or, put your brakes on right at the edge of the cliff only to have it break off and you go down anyway?
  #7  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:00 PM
Gatopescado is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: on your last raw nerve
Posts: 21,876
I did once pull out a stinger of fish I caught only to find heads and skeletons. A turtle must have eaten them.

Very cartoony.
  #8  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:39 PM
wolfpup's Avatar
wolfpup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Or, put your brakes on right at the edge of the cliff only to have it break off and you go down anyway?
You don't start to fall until you realize you're in mid-air. It's a cartoon quantum-superposition kind of thing. It's the observation that determines the reality. (I am a recognized expert on cartoon quantum-superposition as it applies to cartoon coyotes.)
  #9  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:47 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
Occasionally when they see the cliff break off they move forward look at the broken cliff side smugly and zoom to the ground just in time for the cliff to flatten them on the canyon floor.
  #10  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:11 PM
VOW is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NE AZ
Posts: 2,731
I think my children step on every single sidewalk crack they encounter.


~VOW
__________________
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  #11  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Or, put your brakes on right at the edge of the cliff only to have it break off and you go down anyway?
You should still be able to stop your plummet.

Air brakes.
  #12  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 23,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Did you ever have an anvil fall on your head? That really smarts.
Where was your tiny umbrella?
  #13  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:57 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
You should still be able to stop your plummet.

Air brakes.
Or maybe that ACME brand parachute. I can float down til it catches on a branch. My door flies open and I fall down to the canyon floor only to stand up and the car lands on my head.
  #14  
Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 PM
VOW is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NE AZ
Posts: 2,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Or maybe that ACME brand parachute. I can float down til it catches on a branch. My door flies open and I fall down to the canyon floor only to stand up and the car lands on my head.
And then, running for help, you run smack-dab into the wall of a cliff, because there's a tunnel painted on it!

(The Road Runner zips right into the tunnel.)


~VOW
__________________
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  #15  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:15 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,593
This is all fun and good, but I suddenly find myself wondering if roadrunner is particularly tasty. Has Unca Cecil addressed the topic? Never mind that human taste buds will respond differently than canine taste buds. Wile E is quite anthropomorphized enough that the difference should be negligible.
  #16  
Old 05-20-2019, 12:01 AM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
I'm fairly certain R.R. is slim pickins for a meal.
They're all beep-beep and feathers.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-20-2019 at 12:01 AM.
  #17  
Old 05-20-2019, 01:10 AM
BigT's Avatar
BigT is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: "Hicksville", Ark.
Posts: 36,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
This is all fun and good, but I suddenly find myself wondering if roadrunner is particularly tasty. Has Unca Cecil addressed the topic? Never mind that human taste buds will respond differently than canine taste buds. Wile E is quite anthropomorphized enough that the difference should be negligible.
Not an article, but it was asked here years ago. Not much of a conclusion, though.

I tried to find the referenced image, as I remember what it looked like, but I couldn't.
  #18  
Old 05-20-2019, 01:59 AM
panache45's Avatar
panache45 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 42,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Did you ever have an anvil fall on your head? That really smarts.
Or a piano.
  #19  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Not an article, but it was asked here years ago. Not much of a conclusion, though.

I tried to find the referenced image, as I remember what it looked like, but I couldn't.
Cripes, I actually posted in that thread! I hate when that happens.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-20-2019 at 03:05 AM.
  #20  
Old 05-20-2019, 08:15 AM
WOOKINPANUB's Avatar
WOOKINPANUB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: St Petersburg, Floriduhhh
Posts: 6,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
While waiting for the bus, I saw a banana peel laying on the sidewalk. It was all brown and disgusting, but it was unmistakably a banana peel.

"Ahah!" thought I, "Here is my Mythbusters Moment. Here I answer a question that has plagued humanity since the earliest days of traveling vaudeville. Is it true that stepping on a banana peel will make you slip?"

I walked up and dangled my foot over the rotting fruit skin. It was surprisingly difficult to force myself to step on it. Was it revulsion, or was it fear of the unknown that made me hesitate? Was it my self preservation instinct? The ennui of existentialism?

Whatever it was, I pushed past the doubts in my mind,
and stepped down. Immediately, my foot slid sideways. I could feel the shriveled skin and whithered banana threads grinding between the cement and the bottom of my shoe. I lifted my foot quickly, lest I be swept away into peril.

But I had my answer! The cliche was still a cliche, but it was the truth all the same. Banana peels can make you slip!

I retreated in triumph for my bus was approaching. There was a trash can nearby, but I did not toss the squashed banana peel into it, for I was reeling in excitement at my discovery.

Besides, it was really, really icky.
All well and good, but can they get you stoned?
  #21  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:19 AM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 11,922
Mythbusters literally tested exactly this many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRq3XxCZXo
  #22  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 AM
Johnny L.A. is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 60,947
A girlfriend and I were skiing one day. In the parking lot, we saw a banana peel on top of clear ice.
  #23  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:34 AM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Mythbusters literally tested exactly this many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZRq3XxCZXo
And that is one of the many episodes that bothered me because it wasn't so much 'can this happen' as it was 'we tried a few times and it didn't happen, so clearly it never happens'.
The fact that it's happened to enough people that it's become a trope/joke should have told them that maybe they were missing something.

Having said that, I may have assumed their conclusion was correct if it hadn't happened to me. In my case, it was in a school lunchroom on those polished concrete(?) floors. I likely also had worn out tennis shoes on. Also, walking faster or running and/or taking longer steps (so your center of gravity is further from your foot) will help it to happen as well.
In that episode, Jaime was wearing boots, he was walking carefully AND he knew the banana was there. It should be noted that you can seem him slip while he was walking over it too.

It reminds me of college when we used to spray Pledge on the linoleum floors. When an unsuspecting person walked into that area, they'd slide or fall like they just stepped on wet ice (it was bad, we really shouldn't have been doing it). But surely this can't be the case since I (wearing shoes and knowing what's going on) can walk across it just fine.

Last edited by Joey P; 05-20-2019 at 09:35 AM.
  #24  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:24 PM
Treppenwitz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
While waiting for the bus, I saw a banana peel laying on the sidewalk. It was all brown and disgusting, but it was unmistakably a banana peel.

"Ahah!" thought I, "Here is my Mythbusters Moment. Here I answer a question that has plagued humanity since the earliest days of traveling vaudeville. Is it true that stepping on a banana peel will make you slip?"

I walked up and dangled my foot over the rotting fruit skin. It was surprisingly difficult to force myself to step on it. Was it revulsion, or was it fear of the unknown that made me hesitate? Was it my self preservation instinct? The ennui of existentialism?

Whatever it was, I pushed past the doubts in my mind,
and stepped down. Immediately, my foot slid sideways. I could feel the shriveled skin and whithered banana threads grinding between the cement and the bottom of my shoe. I lifted my foot quickly, lest I be swept away into peril.

But I had my answer! The cliche was still a cliche, but it was the truth all the same. Banana peels can make you slip!

I retreated in triumph for my bus was approaching. There was a trash can nearby, but I did not toss the squashed banana peel into it, for I was reeling in excitement at my discovery.

Besides, it was really, really icky.
It appears that other researchers got there first.

j
  #25  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM
VOW is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NE AZ
Posts: 2,731
Real roadrunners look nothing like our cartoon friend, but they are HILARIOUS to watch. First, they apparently prefer to run rather than fly. Their long legs make running a breeze (pun intended) and you'd swear they are wearing stilts! We've been known to stop the car just to watch a roadrunner zip by!

A couple of years ago, we started putting birdseed out in front of our AZ house. We bought the requisite bird books and did our best to identify the visitors as they showed up. We were thrilled when an occasional roadrunner stopped by for a snack.

They are the GOOFIEST looking bird! Along with the long, long legs, they sport a large, rather unruly crest on top of their heads. Further research revealed they are related to woodpeckers.

Subtract the legs, feathers, and crest, there really isn't much bird left. Like most desert animals, the roadrunner is lean and stringy-looking. I bet the single bite of meat that you might get from the leg would be extremely tough to chew.

Crows, however, are monstrous. You could probably serve one as a turkey on Thanksgiving. But since crows are scavengers, the meat is most likely inedible. But you'd have plenty of leftovers!


~VOW
__________________
Klaatu Barada Nikto
  #26  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:24 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Real roadrunners look nothing like our cartoon friend, but they are HILARIOUS to watch. First, they apparently prefer to run rather than fly. Their long legs make running a breeze (pun intended) and you'd swear they are wearing stilts! We've been known to stop the car just to watch a roadrunner zip by!

A couple of years ago, we started putting birdseed out in front of our AZ house. We bought the requisite bird books and did our best to identify the visitors as they showed up. We were thrilled when an occasional roadrunner stopped by for a snack.

They are the GOOFIEST looking bird! Along with the long, long legs, they sport a large, rather unruly crest on top of their heads. Further research revealed they are related to woodpeckers.

Subtract the legs, feathers, and crest, there really isn't much bird left. Like most desert animals, the roadrunner is lean and stringy-looking. I bet the single bite of meat that you might get from the leg would be extremely tough to chew.

Crows, however, are monstrous. You could probably serve one as a turkey on Thanksgiving. But since crows are scavengers, the meat is most likely inedible. But you'd have plenty of leftovers!


~VOW
Well, now I'm eatin' Crow!

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 05-20-2019 at 03:25 PM.
  #27  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:30 PM
Tatterdemalion is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
They are the GOOFIEST looking bird! Along with the long, long legs, they sport a large, rather unruly crest on top of their heads. Further research revealed they are related to woodpeckers.
So you say that the Roadrunner and Woody are cousins?

That would explain a lot.
  #28  
Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Doctor Jackson's Avatar
Doctor Jackson is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Jawja
Posts: 10,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
Did you ever have an anvil fall on your head? That really smarts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Or a piano.
If an anvil fell on a piano it would certainly be notable! I'm not sure what I would do, except to try to react "A chord"ingly.
  #29  
Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Beckdawrek's Avatar
Beckdawrek is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: So.Ark ?
Posts: 15,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
If an anvil fell on a piano it would certainly be notable! I'm not sure what I would do, except to try to react "A chord"ingly.
I am just gonna make one timely step sideways before the anvil falls to the ground. As I'm smiling to my self I realize I'm on a jutting out piece of cliff and down we go. Me, anvil and cliff. I'm dusting my pants off when the piano slams down on my head. With a loud musical sound. Strings and ivory keys flying everywhere.
(I've spent too much time watching cartoons)
  #30  
Old 05-20-2019, 07:12 PM
burpo the wonder mutt's Avatar
burpo the wonder mutt is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 23,558
Being a dog, I have this uncanny ability to float through the air in pursuit of delicious aromas, but only if they're shaped like caressing fingers.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017