Old 01-10-2020, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I'm Sixty One

Exactly sixty one years ago my mom's pediatrician noted on the chart that it had been a medically noneventful birth and that I was healthy with a good Apgar score. A designation was also made regarding my sex.

Those of you who identify as transgender will often describe this moment as one where the assignment made was in error -- that you were assigned male at birth (AMAB) or assigned female at birth (AFAB) but now identify otherwise.

In my case, the doctor said out loud "it's a boy" then wrote in the charts that I was male. I agree with the chart entry and consider myself male. I disagree with the remark made in the vernacular, that I was a boy. I identify otherwise.

I identify as a gender invert, not as a transgender individual but as a subtype of genderqueer instead.

I recognize that for many of you who are transgender, "boy" and "male are coterminous -- that if you don't consider yourself a boy you also would be offended to be considered male.

This is also true for a great many of you who are cisgender, of course.

It is not, however, true for me. For me, if not for you, "male" is not a word that designates my gender. For me, if not for you, sex isn't gender.

And I am entitled to my identity, my use of terminology, and my right to come out on my own terms.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Happy Birthday!

Regards,
Shodan (who will be 64 in a couple weeks, but doesn't have nearly as much to put on the cake)
Old 01-10-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

thanks!
Old 01-10-2020, 10:48 AM

Happy one too! I am also 61, but we don't feel it, do we?
heh I self identify as 47.

Last edited by SuntanLotion; 01-10-2020 at 10:48 AM. Reason: trying to be humorous
Old 01-10-2020, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I got no complaints and I'm ready for the next forty.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Happy birthday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Regards,
Shodan (who will be 64 in a couple weeks, but doesn't have nearly as much to put on the cake)
Being 64 was kinda cool, there's even a good song for being that age, thanks to Paul McCartney.

The best birthdays in the early to mid 60s are:

1) At 62, you can get your pass that will get you into national parks for free for the rest of your life. And also gets you in for free into most fee areas in national forests, national monuments, etc.

2) At 64, you get the aforementioned song.

3) At 65, you're eligible for Medicare, plus you get pretty much all the senior discounts that hadn't already accrued at 55, 60, or 62. Here in the DC area, one of those discounts is a senior pass for the Metro that gets you 50% off the regular fares.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:49 PM
born to be shunned

Happy birthday! I will refrain from offering my typical Russian Song of Joy ----------- its too gloomy. But I am glad the Dope crossed our paths. You teach very well.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
I will refrain from offering my typical Russian Song of Joy ----------- its too gloomy.
(To the tune of the Volga Boatman)
Happy birthday.
Oh, happy birthday.
People dying everywhere
Sickness sorrow and despair
On your birthday
Oh happy birthday
One day closer to death.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:35 PM

Happy Birthday!!!!
Old 01-10-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
Exactly sixty one years ago my mom's pediatrician noted on the chart that it had been a medically noneventful birth and that I was healthy with a good Apgar score. A designation was also made regarding my sex.

Those of you who identify as transgender will often describe this moment as one where the assignment made was in error -- that you were assigned male at birth (AMAB) or assigned female at birth (AFAB) but now identify otherwise.

In my case, the doctor said out loud "it's a boy" then wrote in the charts that I was male. I agree with the chart entry and consider myself male. I disagree with the remark made in the vernacular, that I was a boy. I identify otherwise.

I identify as a gender invert, not as a transgender individual but as a subtype of genderqueer instead.

I recognize that for many of you who are transgender, "boy" and "male are coterminous -- that if you don't consider yourself a boy you also would be offended to be considered male.

This is also true for a great many of you who are cisgender, of course.

It is not, however, true for me. For me, if not for you, "male" is not a word that designates my gender. For me, if not for you, sex isn't gender.

And I am entitled to my identity, my use of terminology, and my right to come out on my own terms.

Christ, you're old.

Happy birthday!

Old 01-10-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm actually still characterizing it as middle-aged for another ~ 15 years. But I can "see" old from here and yeah, I'm getting there.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
I got no complaints and I'm ready for the next forty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I think, Steven Wright
I intend to live forever.

So far, so good.
Personally, I intend to live to 66 2/3, when I can collect full Social Security, or long enough to be a burden to my children. Whichever is later.

:gets off AHunter3's lawn:

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM

Happy birthday, AHunter3.

I'm 74, and barely remember being 61. Actually I barely remember yesterday.

When I was born, they probably swaddled me in something blue. A rainbow blanket would have been more appropriate.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopek View Post
Happy birthday! I will refrain from offering my typical Russian Song of Joy ----------- its too gloomy. But I am glad the Dope crossed our paths. You teach very well.
(Bolding mine.) I totally agree. I have learned a lot from reading your posts.

I liked my 60s. 70s are turning out more...don't know what word to use there. Nuanced? Not in a good way. I hope you enjoy all that comes next, and keep posting here.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:18 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemark View Post
(To the tune of the Volga Boatman)
Happy birthday.
Oh, happy birthday.
People dying everywhere
Sickness sorrow and despair
On your birthday
Oh happy birthday
One day closer to death.
Close but ------- our family version, which goes back to my grandfathers time, ends

But don't you worry
Don't you care
Have a ---- happy birthday

As I've often said -- in my family "strange" is just genetic
Old 01-11-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Less on your cake? I ... don't get it.
Old 01-11-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
1) At 62, you can get your pass that will get you into national parks for free for the rest of your life. And also gets you in for free into most fee areas in national forests, national monuments, etc.
I didn't know that! Well, just a few more months til I get mine.

Happy Birthday, AHunter3, from a fellow 61-year-old.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:08 PM

Happy belated birthday AHunter. You be you.
Old 01-12-2020, 02:00 PM

Seconding raventhief; on both counts.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:40 PM

Hello AHunter3.

I believe that in general as people age, they grow in wisdom. So please allow me to ask you a question about aging and the passage of time and please feel free to give me as much wisdom as you would care to share.

Can you give me any insight into the speed of the passage of time? By that I mean, have you found that the older you became, the faster time seemed to travel?

One practical demonstration of this concept is as follows. Would you agree that the time passed between age 50 and age 60 was considerable faster for you than the time passed between ate 40 and age 50?

If you have found this principle to be true, I'd like to ask you the following question.

Do you think that time is an absolute entity that passes at the same rate for everyone? Or do you think that some people actually experience time passing at different rates depending on their own behavior?

I am honestly looking for a better understanding of the passage of time. I believe there is some kind of simple yet profound meaning to the passage of time that most people have been unable to quantify and I've always thought that people who have experienced more time passage than others (like you for instance) may well be able to offer greater insight into this question.

Last edited by Charlie Wayne; 01-12-2020 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
I believe that in general as people age, they grow in wisdom.
The really unwise may manage to be killed-off while young. But I'll agree with the old (at least 40 years) guy in my broadcast electronics program when I was 20. He said his father looked at him and sighed, "The older he gets, the dumber he gets." That's me. I'll also paraphrase RA Heinlein: "It's amazing how much 'mature wisdom' resembles 'too tired to fuck with it'". That's my wisdom. Compute the cost/benefit ratio, then bail out.

Last edited by RioRico; 01-12-2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Wayne View Post
Hello AHunter3.

I believe that in general as people age, they grow in wisdom. So please allow me to ask you a question about aging and the passage of time and please feel free to give me as much wisdom as you would care to share.

Can you give me any insight into the speed of the passage of time? By that I mean, have you found that the older you became, the faster time seemed to travel?
Oh, absolutely.

Quote:
Would you agree that the time passed between age 50 and age 60 was considerable faster for you than the time passed between ate 40 and age 50?
Noticeably so.

I spotted it a long long time ago. When I was in my 30s, I typed up ages on a sheet of paper with dots between the numbers. I used a formula so that the number of dots between (let's say) the 10th and 11th year were double the number of dots that you'd encounter between the 20th and 21st year.

It scaled pretty well except for the less-than-one-year-old part which would end up having an infinite number of dots.

By the ages of 109 and 110 there was one single dot between the numbers.

Anyway, yeah, the notion is that a person experiences a year (or a month or whatever) as being n/totalN where n is that interval and totalN is the total number of internals of that size you've lived through. So when you're five, a single year is 1/5 of a lifetime. When you're fifty, a year is 1/50 of a lifetime so of course it's smaller.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:34 AM
I was curious...

I just popped in to say that I'm not that familiar with the OP's work (as is about to become obvious), but from the general tone of their posts I always assumed they were late 20s/early 30s. Good for you and happy birthday!
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM

Thank you very much AHunter3.

IMO, that wss a splendid piece of wisdom. I will value that always.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM

You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older
And now you're even older
And now you're even older
You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older
And now you're older still

Time

Is marching on

And time

Is still marching on