Old 01-13-2020, 06:37 AM

"Reverse Misogyny", e.g. in Killing Eve

What do y'all think of Killing Eve? I watched Season 1, didn't like it enough to watch Season 2. But with my TV queue empty I watched Season 2. Can't decide whether I like it or not. I think not.

But mentioning Killing Eve is just my excuse to post the following question/comment in Cafe Society. I didn't know whether GD or IMHO was best suited, but the theme I describe may be a Hollywood invention more than reality, so I'll post here.

In one of the final Killing Eve episodes. Eve plops into bed with a young man (who had not been particularly "coming on" to her), more or less insisting that he f**k her. In the morning, when the guy wants to cuddle and discuss their relationship, she's indifferent and orders him to fetch coffee.

Had the genders been reversed, I think this would be a shocking example of misogyny. Viewers would be outraged to see the hero depicted as so callous toward a woman. But when female Eve does this, I think we're supposed to admire her she's "tough" like a man. I don't think this episode of Killing Eve is unique other movies and TV dramas present similar scenarios.

Am I interpreting this correctly? What do others think?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:03 AM

1.) I have watched the first two seasons of Killing Eve, but am pretty "meh" about it. It is a decent way to kill time, but nothing about it doesn't seem like generic "spies and multiple levels of conspiracy" stuff.

2.) You know, there is a term for the opposite of misogyny--misterogyny. Nothing about Killing Eve ever struck me as misterogynistic.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:27 AM

(Google showed me 'misandry' as a role-reversed misogyny, but using that obscure word might confuse my question.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
... Nothing about Killing Eve ever struck me as misterogynistic.
Mods: Please change thread title to
'"Reverse Misogyny" from Hollywood, using a single specific scene in Killing Eve as an example.'
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post

2.) You know, there is a term for the opposite of misogyny--misterogyny. Nothing about Killing Eve ever struck me as misterogynistic.
Is that really a cutesy term in use, or just a little joke? I know "misandry," though -- I thought it was a reasonably common term, at least among people like SDMB readers (apparently, it shows up 161 times on a Google search of the board., though our search engine gives 183 hits.)

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-13-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:50 AM

I disagree. Sexist, yes; "man-hating", no. I think the tendency these days is to throw around the word "misogyny" a little too loosely.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:51 AM

If this show were meant to be taken seriously I could see he OP's point. It's almost a send up of conventional spy thrillers where the protagonist is a man. How many times did we see James Bond dismiss or otherwise disrespect his female play things? I think we must also consider the voice behind it, that of Phoebe Waller Bridge. She is a writer with absolutely no very few boundaries.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Mods: Please change thread title to
'"Reverse Misogyny" from Hollywood, using a single specific scene in Killing Eve as an example.'
Killing Eve isn't from Hollywood.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
If this show were meant to be taken seriously I could see he OP's point. It's almost a send up of conventional spy thrillers where the protagonist is a man. How many times did we see James Bond dismiss or otherwise disrespect his female play things? I think we must also consider the voice behind it, that of Phoebe Waller Bridge. She is a writer with absolutely no very few boundaries.
Talking of which, I can't WAIT to see the new Bond film, where she's been brought in to liven up the script.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:21 AM

She's a sociopath. Male or female, a major character like that in a show like this is going to do a lot of bad things. Singling out attitude towards the opposite (in this case) gender misses the point.

It's like having a major beef with Norman Bates doing taxidermy.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:26 AM

I don’t think it was intended to be “admirable”.

And Phoebe Waller Bridge wrote season one but not two.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Eve plops into bed with a young man (who had not been particularly "coming on" to her), more or less insisting that he f**k her. In the morning, when the guy wants to cuddle and discuss their relationship, she's indifferent and orders him to fetch coffee.

Had the genders been reversed, I think this would be a shocking example of misogyny.
I disagree. An example of "being a jerk" or insensitivity or rudeness, maybe.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Had the genders been reversed, I think this would be a shocking example of misogyny.
Do you? Really? Shocking, you say? I don't know, the commonplace is hardly shocking anymore.

You don't think that's precisely why a scene like that was included?
Old 01-13-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
She's a sociopath. Male or female, a major character like that in a show like this is going to do a lot of bad things. Singling out attitude towards the opposite (in this case) gender misses the point.

It's like having a major beef with Norman Bates doing taxidermy.
Villanelle is the sociopath, Eve is the detective. It's been a while since I saw this and don't remember the scene but I expect septimus didn't misspeak when he said "Eve"

Last edited by Calavera; 01-13-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
Villanelle is the sociopath, Eve is the detective. It's been a while since I saw this and don't remember the scene but I expect septimus didn't misspeak when he said "Eve"
Yes. Villanelle might have tortured the guy upside-down, rather than just sending him out for coffee.

But remember the ambiguous title Killing Eve Eve has "gone through some changes;" is she becoming -pathic herself? Is her relationship with Villanelle just hate-hate, or is it Love-Hate?
In the relevant episode
SPOILER:
Shortly after sending her lover out for coffee, she finds him stabbed and bleeding and in need of urgent medical care. She makes small effort to help, and ends up chasing the bad guy without calling 9-1-1 (or rather its Roman equivalent) .

But this is all tangential to my thread's purpose, which was predicated on the assumption that
Female dominance episodes (using the Killing Eve example ONLY for clarity), are commonplace nowadays in movies and TV.

Is my assumption even true?

Can others help me think of examples OTHER than Killing Eve where such scenario(s) are present?
Old 01-13-2020, 10:07 AM

Male Fragility.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

I won't dispute that female dominance is more common in media now than it used to be. But I would suspect that it's still less common than male dominance. We just don't notice the male dominance, because we're so used to it.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:46 AM

Yes. I'm wondering what "message" if any the scriptwriters are sending. I also wonder about viewers' attitudes about the scenes.

Can we all agree that some simple {Man == Woman} equivalences fail categorically?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:44 AM

Say what? It's a classic case of reversing the normal male-dominated practice. So rather than being reverse-sexism, it is intended to shine a light on classic sexist tropes itself. She's acting as a male might in plenty of movies/television.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:12 PM

In this example anyway yes part of the point is that Eve is something-pathic herself. She was using him basically as a ... tool ... while she was being turned on listening to a sociopathic killer of her fantasies.

Do some shows make an effort to subvert the classic trope by reversing roles. I’d bet yes but don’t have any offhand.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

“Misterogyny” is hilarious.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Yes. I'm wondering what "message" if any the scriptwriters are sending. I also wonder about viewers' attitudes about the scenes.

Can we all agree that some simple {Man == Woman} equivalences fail categorically?
Have you ever complained the 5 zillion times male characters have behaved this way to female characters? Did it bother you then?

You can't even think of any other examples of this happening with roles reversed - you're asking everyone else if they can think of any other time it's happened. You're ridiculously bothered by seeing it happen once. Welcome to our world.

Do you really think that women never treat men badly? Do you think it should never be portrayed as an example of sociopathic behavior?
Old 01-13-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Yes. Villanelle might have tortured the guy upside-down, rather than just sending him out for coffee.

But remember the ambiguous title Killing Eve Eve has "gone through some changes;" is she becoming -pathic herself? Is her relationship with Villanelle just hate-hate, or is it Love-Hate?
In the relevant episode
SPOILER:
Shortly after sending her lover out for coffee, she finds him stabbed and bleeding and in need of urgent medical care. She makes small effort to help, and ends up chasing the bad guy without calling 9-1-1 (or rather its Roman equivalent) .

But this is all tangential to my thread's purpose, which was predicated on the assumption that
Female dominance episodes (using the Killing Eve example ONLY for clarity), are commonplace nowadays in movies and TV.

Is my assumption even true?

Can others help me think of examples OTHER than Killing Eve where such scenario(s) are present?
Meh, I used to see it all the time in the early years of Grey's Anatomy (I haven't watched later episodes, so don't know if it's still there.) That is, the show featured many scenes of reversal of stereotyped roles where the guy wants a relationship and the woman just wants sex. There was one episode where Christina (Sandra Oh) says something to Meredith about guys being like 1950s debutantes.

Is it misandry? No, because it plays against stereotype. There's nothing inherently demeaning in portraying someone as the one who wants to cuddle and for the sex to mean something. Normally, we see women stereotyped as emotionally needy. The one-person-is-hot-the-other-cold is a classic conflict. How would you rather it be portrayed?
Old 01-13-2020, 05:00 PM

Nowhere did I say that I object to this gender-reversing scenario. (Or whatever it should be called.)

To the contrary, I'm just trying to understand its parameters and how it applies in the real (non-TV, non-movie) world.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:30 PM

Sorry, to even notice this and consider it worth remarking on is sexist.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Say what? It's a classic case of reversing the normal male-dominated practice. So rather than being reverse-sexism, it is intended to shine a light on classic sexist tropes itself. She's acting as a male might in plenty of movies/television.
So "It is bad when Y does it, but good when X does it, because X's bad behavior is really a reflection of Y?"
Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
So "It is bad when Y does it, but good when X does it, because X's bad behavior is really a reflection of Y?"
Has anyone defended Eve's behavior on this thread?

When a marginalized group person switches roles and does something that the dominant group person generally does it tends to shine a greater light as to why said act is problematic due to dominant group people feeling a little bit as to what marginalized group people have been feeling by those actions.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:08 AM

Bond never had sex with a convenient woman specifically because he was listening in on a the same sex killer villain and was turned on. That really was the key feature of that event. He was not attractive to her in his own right at all, he was just available to use for her self-pleasuring while fantasizing about Villanelle. The sexual tension and driver of the scene was Eve and Villanelle.

Jessica Jones' casual sex might be more apt except that the man was a jerk.