Old 01-09-2020, 07:27 AM

Spacebar on Keyboard.

Today, my keyboard randomly wouldn't work for a couple of seconds. This also happened the other day.

My keyboard is a Microsoft Wired 600.

Help.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:33 AM

Sounds like the driver resetting after shortly losing contact with the device due to a faulty cable (these do wear out under strain).

Personally I wouldn't bother and just get a new keyboard.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk fusion View Post
Sounds like the driver resetting after shortly losing contact with the device due to a faulty cable (these do wear out under strain).

Personally I wouldn't bother and just get a new keyboard.
This keyboard is only like a month old.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:39 AM

Also, by "randomly wouldn't work", I mean, "At one point, it wouldn't work for a couple of seconds", not, "it sporadically wouldn't work."
Old 01-09-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob View Post
We're in the "made in China" era. It's very common for "new" devices to fail or even not work right out of the box.

You can test by trying a different known-to-be-good keyboard to see if the problem occurs again. If it does, it's the computer and not the keyboard. Maybe a bad USB port or something along those lines.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
We're in the "made in China" era. It's very common for "new" devices to fail or even not work right out of the box.

You can test by trying a different known-to-be-good keyboard to see if the problem occurs again. If it does, it's the computer and not the keyboard. Maybe a bad USB port or something along those lines.
What keyboards would you recommend?
Old 01-09-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Is there a warranty? Mine (a Logitech) has a 30 day period to take it back to the store, and for a year after the date of purchase I can return it to them under warranty.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:23 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

Turn it over and shake it out. You got a PopTart crumb stuck under the key and it started working again once it got more finely crushed. There's probably more where that came from.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
Turn it over and shake it out. You got a PopTart crumb stuck under the key and it started working again once it got more finely crushed. There's probably more where that came from.
I eat all my meals around the computer. Think that's it?
Old 01-09-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
What keyboards would you recommend?
I've always gotten excellent service out of Logitech equipment, both keyboards and mice/track balls.

Last edited by Jasmine; 01-09-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I eat all my meals around the computer. Think that's it?
Yep! LOL
Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Nothing special about China. The bathtub curve for failure rate applies to everything.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:16 AM

no idea what is your environment … since you state only the ms-600 and that it's a month old. could be issue with the os or one of the peripherals. have you tried another keyboard in your residence? if the keyboard utilizes usb-port … try a different port … or try a different device using that port.

other things to check for … could be your a/v is temporarily hogging computer resources. a/v reference files need to be updated daily … have you updated your a/v reference files? most of 'em should be able to remove keyloggers. win-10 might be doing one of their updates. have you checked the device-manager for incongruities?

it's already a new keyboard … you don't need to replace it … unless, there's some proprietary crap going on … check the box it came in or online manual … make sure it's compatible with your setup … contact microsoft herself.

https://www.microsoft.com/accessorie...d-keyboard-600
 
at one point in time, i was offered a wooden scīpiō (handstaff) after a time, i slowly 'n methodically whittled that cane down until it became one ginormous toothpick.

Last edited by albino_manatee; 01-10-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Are you a smoker? Ash particles, some microscopic, can be a hazard. I once worked in a lab where intermittent failures were diagnosed as due to this, and it was banned.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 AM

My spacebar sticks sometimes too. In my case it's probably because I tend to eat at the computer. It's a combination of cracker crumbs and spilled beer.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

OP has the wost luck with keyboards:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=886251
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=886788
Old 01-14-2020, 08:45 AM

my old keyboard had a sticky backspace...I suppose me bashing on it contributed to its stickiness. But it was after the fact. Sometimes it would work and not. The bashing begun out of frustration. New keyboard about a month ago....that damn n and m sticks in where it isnt suppose to be..my space bar should ignore those two keys, butt ins. They are behaving themselves more and more each day!
Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 AM

Eating around your computer, I can understand, but why would you eat directly over the keyboard? Sit back away from the keyboard when you eat, and make sure your hands are free of crumbs when you type.