John Elway
Joe Montana
Brett Favre
John Unitas
"Slingin"' Sammy Baugh
Roger Staubach

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 12-30-2019, 04:30 PM

I'd take Sonny Jurgensen over Staubach anytime.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I was a little surprised to see Staubach on there, as well. I'm guessing they put him on there 'cause of all those comebacks he engineered. There were actually a couple of guys who wouldn't have made such a list had I put it together.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
I've heard some folks think of S.J. as one of the best "pure passer" QBs of all time. I know he feels that had he been healthy 1972 Dolphins would NOT have finished unbeaten!
Old 12-30-2019, 05:59 PM

All IMHO. And it's really hard to compare across eras. That said...

Fran Tarkenton should be on the list ahead of Staubach. I'd put the following ahead of Staubach, or at least should be considered: Drew Brees, Dan Fouts, Steve Young, Ben Roethlisberger, Ken Anderson, Len Dawson, Warren Moon, Y.A. Tittle. Aaron Rodgers?

Again, it's really hard to compare across eras. Scroll down a list of career passing leaders, and there's a lot of Matt Ryans and Phillip Rivers in the mix. Though, thinking about it a little, why I should value Fouts ahead of Rivers, I couldn't tell you. Dave Krieg? Kerry Collins? And what do to about Eli?
Old 12-30-2019, 07:55 PM

Brees over favre
Old 12-30-2019, 07:58 PM

It's hard for me to argue against Brady, but to be fair to the others, it's hard to know how successful Brady would have been with another franchise, another coach, and another system.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
Brees over favre
Agreed.

I like Favre, and there's no question he was a great QB - one of the most physically gifted and greatest athletes at that position. But Brees has been a better QB.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:59 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The list isn't as skewed to the recent past as it could have been -- four out of the ten (Graham, Starr, Unitas, and Baugh) played primarily, if not exclusively, before the Super Bowl era, and the NFL has a tendency to look at anything that happened before 1966 as some sort of ancient history.

And, frankly, it's hard to put anyone from pre-1940 on this list, as what a quarterback actually does changed a lot around that time, with the adoption of the T formation.

Staubach is probably one of the weaker ones on the list, but he did lead the Cowboys to four Super Bowls (and two wins) in the span of 9 seasons.

One could definitely make arguments for the inclusion of Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, but it becomes a question of who to knock out of the list. As a lifelong Packer fan, I think I'd take Rodgers over Favre, based on stats alone, but I recognize that Favre also won three straight MVP awards, and symbolizes the Packers' emergence from the decades in the wilderness.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 PM

Aaron Rodgers is unbelievable. From a "being able to hit the intended target from either the pocket or after rolling out or scrambling" standpoint I don't know that there's ever been anybody better (though Patrick Mahomes isn't too shabby in that regard, either).
Old 12-30-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
Aaron Rodgers is unbelievable. From a "being able to hit the intended target from either the pocket or after rolling out or scrambling" standpoint I don't know that there's ever been anybody better (though Patrick Mahomes isn't too shabby in that regard, either).
Don't forget the QB's first job is to break down the coverage. Let's not forget that there was this QB who played for Indianapolis and then Denver, who shouted "Omaha!", who was pretty good at doing that.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
All IMHO. And it's really hard to compare across eras. That said...

Fran Tarkenton should be on the list ahead of Staubach. I'd put the following ahead of Staubach, or at least should be considered: Drew Brees, Dan Fouts, Steve Young, Ben Roethlisberger, Ken Anderson, Len Dawson, Warren Moon, Y.A. Tittle. Aaron Rodgers?

Again, it's really hard to compare across eras. Scroll down a list of career passing leaders, and there's a lot of Matt Ryans and Phillip Rivers in the mix. Though, thinking about it a little, why I should value Fouts ahead of Rivers, I couldn't tell you. Dave Krieg? Kerry Collins? And what do to about Eli?
I'd certainly take half of your list over John Elway. Elway (and his two Super Bowl teams) are vastly overrated IMO.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by racepug View Post
He does have the highest career passer rating in NFL history.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:03 AM

Not yet mentioned and belonging in the conversation are Kelly and Bradshaw. But I like the list pretty much as it stands, it’s a pretty good list.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
Not yet mentioned and belonging in the conversation are Kelly and Bradshaw. But I like the list pretty much as it stands, it’s a pretty good list.
The Steelers of the late 1970s were a lot like the Patriots now. They weren't the first to embrace the passing game but when they started to integrate it into their attack, they were lethal.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
The Steelers of the late 1970s were a lot like the Patriots now. They weren't the first to embrace the passing game but when they started to integrate it into their attack, they were lethal.
True that. They were a lethal force.

Bradshaw is under appreciated. Hard to believe, early in Bradshaw’s career, that Noll and the Steelers were having trouble deciding between him, Joe Gilliam, and Terry Hanratty.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:44 AM

Crazy that Brees isn't in there.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:38 PM

How about Dan Fouts?