Old 01-13-2020, 03:16 PM

Amex says I am a valued card member

But they cancelled my card. I don't care because I no longer use it.

Isn't America a great country?

BTW the guy I talked to about this is in India.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:34 PM

Stoopid Amex!
No worries, Bijou we value you. ()
Old 01-13-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Stoopid Amex!
No worries, Bijou we value you. ()
*Taxes and service fees may apply.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:43 PM

I thought the guy was in Ireland but somehow he got an Irish accent in India.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

I used to have an Amex corporate card for travel. Except then I wound up not traveling for about five years, so corporate asked if they could cancel the card. I said sure go ahead, then three months later I had to travel.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:46 PM

Every time I hear about a "Valued" anything, all I can think of is a broadcast version of "The Big Lebowski" where The Dude was complaining that the Nhilists had peed on his "Valued" rig.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:13 AM
Suspended

We didn't have to cancel AmEx. CostCo did that for us.

Which is worst - for a customer to be valued, undervalued, or overvalued?
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM

I have an AmEx card and no complaints about it, although it's the basic tier credit card and they dearly want me to upgrade to a gold card and charge me a couple hundred bucks a year. I haven't been impressed with the supposed perks (hotel booking, event tickets, etc) but maybe they'd be better if I was a fancy-pants member. I'm likely to never find out.

More amusing to me is my US Bank card which has zero balance and has for years and they consistently plead with me to raise my credit limit as though that would make me use it more. It has never occurred to them to maybe lower the APR (which is silly high but, again, I never use it anyway) if they want to incentivize me.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:14 AM

The last time I was a valued customer of a credit card they suddenly issued me a new one, with new numbers. They said this was for my convenience. I said it caused me to have to change my payment settings with umpteen vendors, so how about NOT doing that???

They persisted. I cancelled the card and went to a different provider who doesn't pull that kind of nonsense.

I'm also a high-status hotel guest with a couple of chains because I travel for work. When checking me in the desk folks usually say something like, "Welcome back and thank you for your loyalty!"

To which I reply with a deadpan, "I have no choice. I do not actually feel any loyalty. But I can I please check in anyway?"
Old 01-14-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Interesting, a friend of mine use to work for AMEX customer service in Phoenix and they used to pride themselves on only having USA based customer service.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
The last time I was a valued customer of a credit card they suddenly issued me a new one, with new numbers. They said this was for my convenience. I said it caused me to have to change my payment settings with umpteen vendors, so how about NOT doing that???

They persisted. I cancelled the card and went to a different provider who doesn't pull that kind of nonsense.

I'm also a high-status hotel guest with a couple of chains because I travel for work. When checking me in the desk folks usually say something like, "Welcome back and thank you for your loyalty!"

To which I reply with a deadpan, "I have no choice. I do not actually feel any loyalty. But I can I please check in anyway?"
Why? The hotel clerk HAS to say that, itís a miserable job. Just smile and say thank you. Youíll make their day better.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalej42 View Post
Why? The hotel clerk HAS to say that, itís a miserable job. Just smile and say thank you. Youíll make their day better.
I should have said a Ďwryí deadpan. They usually laugh, and itís often with CSRs that I know from past stays. Not being purposely rude.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:50 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Mrs. ToKnow just got a notice on the Amex website that she's pre-approved for a Platinum card. We are in fact, currently debating whether the perks are worth the $550 annual fee. Some of them seem pretty sweet.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:59 PM

FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS A YEAR?

There is no perk in the world that would equate to $550.00 a year, in my world!

Admittedly, I don't go anywhere or do very much. So in my world, that $550 has a better home in my pocket.

~VOW
Old 01-14-2020, 03:47 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Such is the nature of our debate. We do not currently travel a lot, but we'd like to. And a lot of the perks are travel-related, and so would encourage us to do so.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:10 PM

many businesses USED to have all USA based support/call centers. Besides India a lot of calls go to the Philippines now. I worked at a place that had tech support in Romania.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excavating (for a mind) View Post
Every time I hear about a "Valued" anything, all I can think of is a broadcast version of "The Big Lebowski" where The Dude was complaining that the Nhilists had peed on his "Valued" rig.
Wow, first Treehorn's goon micturated on his valued rug, then the nihilists wizzed on his rig. I think I missed that part.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:51 PM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
FIVE HUNDRED AND FIFTY BUCKS A YEAR?

There is no perk in the world that would equate to $550.00 a year, in my world!
~VOW
$200 Airline credit, $200 Uber Credit, $100 Saks 5th Avenue credit .. that's $500 per year right there. That's direct cash reimbursements that bring the annual fee down to an equivalent $50. It also gives you free Boingo access which comes in handy. Plus there are other reimbursements that dont occur annually. At that price, the perks are definitely worth it! I've had the card for ten years and never regretted it.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
Wow, first Treehorn's goon micturated on his valued rug, then the nihilists wizzed on his rig. I think I missed that part.
Sometimes a rig is just a rug. It's an easy thing to miss.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
$200 Airline credit, $200 Uber Credit, $100 Saks 5th Avenue credit .. that's $500 per year right there. That's direct cash reimbursements that bring the annual fee down to an equivalent $50.
Yeah, but it's in the form of "$200 Airline Credit on fees from partnered airlines with a limit of $50 per flight" and "$15 Uber credit per month", not in a form where you can just get a $200 airline ticket and $200 Uber ride for free.

Which isn't to say it's not worth it to the right people but you gotta make sure you're one of the right people.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:22 PM

I'm with Jophiel on this. Look at the terms and conditions closely. In my experience with these types of travel cards the devil's in the details.

The $100 is great at Tiffany's but do you have to spend $500+ to get it? Is it available online or only in a store?

Similarly - is the Uber good anywhere in the world, in the USA only? Maximum $X per trip?

My advice would be to do something similar to what I did with MasterCard who contacted me to sign up for a "World Elite Traveler" MC. I told them it was a lot of money and I didn't think I'd get the value out of it but if they gave it to me free for a year and I got value, I'd keep it. MC gave it to me for free.

I don't know know if Amex will do the whole thing free, but I'd be shocked if they didn't have the flexibility for a some level of trial discount.

I travel a lot on business and personal and I never even got close to the payback on it. For example: one perk was "free lounge access", but MC's list of lounges would tell me they'd never heard of the MC card "Look here, you're listed on their website" "We know nothing about this card." A couple times only one lounge in the airport honoured the pass and that was only in the domestic terminal and so on...

Too many devils in too many details. I canceled it after a year.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:57 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Yeah, but it's in the form of "$200 Airline Credit on fees from partnered airlines with a limit of $50 per flight" and "$15 Uber credit per month", not in a form where you can just get a $200 airline ticket and $200 Uber ride for free.

Which isn't to say it's not worth it to the right people but you gotta make sure you're one of the right people.
The Uber thing is correct, but you are wrong the airline credit. It's $200 per year. You can use the whole $200 at once. The catch is that it can only be used on one airline (that you get to choose st the begining of the year) and it can't be used to buy tickets. It's for things like extra checked baggage fees, in-flight purchases and. that sort of thing. I've used it mostly for my dog. Bringing a dog in the cabin is $125 each way. So when I pay that $250 fee at the counter, Amex credits me $200 on the bill. So, it only costs me $50.

And of course, you're right about making sure the perks are worth it for you. Personally, I get no value out of the "30% off private jet rental", or "buy two yatchs, get the third one half off" deals. But some of the direct reimbursements like one free $50 purchase (or $50 off any purchase) from Saks every six months (no strings attached) I think most anyone can benefit from. They make the annual fee much less intimidating and a bit more reasonable. But if the Saks deal was "$50 off a purchase of $200 or more, that wouldn't even count as a perk for me.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:05 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmancanada
The $100 is great at Tiffany's but do you have to spend $500+ to get it? Is it available online or only in a store?

Similarly - is the Uber good anywhere in the world, in the USA only? Maximum $X per trip?
The $100 Saks credit is $50 every 6 months. What's nice is that there is no minimum purchase and it works online as well. In fact, online is the only way I've done it. Every 6 months, my wife will buy some lotion ot makeup thing that comes to $50-$55 bucks or whatever total after shipping. I get a full $50 credit on the next bill.
The Uber is $15 a month. Shitty thing there is it only works in the states.

Last edited by Bear_Nenno; 01-15-2020 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:10 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I travel a lot on business and personal and I never even got close to the payback on it. For example: one perk was "free lounge access", but MC's list of lounges would tell me they'd never heard of the MC card "Look here, you're listed on their website" "We know nothing about this card." A couple times only one lounge in the airport honoured the pass and that was only in the domestic terminal and so on...

Too many devils in too many details. I canceled it after a year.
Ugh, that would be frustrating. I love lounge access!! Amex gives you a Priority Pass card and in addition to all places that honor Priority Pass, the Amex card itself will give you access to Delta lounges if you are flying Delta that day.