Old 01-13-2020, 05:21 PM

Fish flour in bread a possibility

Based on this Forbes story, people are actually testing using the "wasted" bits of farmed tilapia to enrich bread.

They are checking to see how much they can use before the bread starts tasting fishy.

No, no. Just don't go there. I do not want farmed fish being masked in other foods. Go ahead and use it as animal feed and fertilizer (very useful in both and not wasted) but don't sneak into my bread. Nuh-uh.
Old 01-13-2020, 05:25 PM

Researchers have been putting ground up bugs in bread for years. Well, deliberately, I don't mean the dead bugs that sneak into the flour supply.

I would think fisht (or buggy) bread won't appear very soon on supermarket shelves. The "supplemented" bread would probably be used in famine situations.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 01-13-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM

I can only hope. I have a weird, but very real fish phobia. I get the impression that the companies that process this stuff are looking for new markets. Maybe as a bodybuilder food? Famine or parts of the world where getting protein is an issue, I can see. But me, I'll stick with eggs, legumes, and land animals. And the occasional scallop.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:37 PM

Oh my god! Nooooopppppe!!
That is so wrong.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:10 PM

Avoid bread with the Star Kist brand!

~VOW
Old 01-13-2020, 07:12 PM

I can’t be the only one who thought of this.
Old 01-13-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
Researchers have been putting ground up bugs in bread for years. Well, deliberately, I don't mean the dead bugs that sneak into the flour supply.

I would think fisht (or buggy) bread won't appear very soon on supermarket shelves. The "supplemented" bread would probably be used in famine situations.

~VOW
Cite for insects being deliberately added to bread already?
Are they used in processing some kind of supplement?
Old 01-13-2020, 10:28 PM

We all know they're not going to call it ground-up tilapia. I'm thinking "purified aquatic meal" or maybe "hydrolyzed natural protein." Throw an "Important source of Omega-3!" sticker on the package, and voilá! They'll be lining up at Whole Foods.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:45 PM

You'd have to make a deliberate choice to buy "bug bread." Unless bugs are listed in the ingredients, the bread you get from the neighborhood market is bug free...except for the occasional bug leg or wing that the FDA says is okay.

Look for insect meal or worm meal on Amazon, then google for bread recipes featuring bug meal.

~VOW

Last edited by VOW; 01-13-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:39 PM

Nothing new about fish meal which is used an extender and protein source in animal feed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_meal Look at the ingredient list on fish food and fish meal is likely ingredient #1. BTW, fish scraps includes the bones. Good source of calcium!

People already buy fish oil pills, so what's wrong with eating the rest of the fish?

The real catch as mentioned above is getting rid of the taste and odor, then calling it something else with marketing to promote as a great diet supplement or miracle for for ???!

Edit: I got it! Promote it as reversing hair loss, ED, obesity and anything else you can get away with before the FDA and right thinking people put a stop to it.

Last edited by lingyi; 01-13-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:59 PM

There's a nursery rhyme with the line "I'll grind his bones to make my bread."

So, they aren't fortifying dog food with bone meal any more, so they'll put it in our food just to see what will happen? This sounds like something that might be sponsored by the makers of Epi-Pen.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:11 AM

Edit: Didn't catch nearwildheaven's post. GOOD more for us humans!

And there's bone meal, which is exactly what it sounds like. Whatever bones are leftover from the slaughterhouse. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_meal

And you too can get your take it as you daily supplement: https://www.amazon.com/sk=bone+meal+supplements+for+humans&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5KvmyLWC5wIVUxitBh37zghuEAMYASAAEgKTYfD_BwE&hv adid=329694286302&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9032809&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=17397444877109747151&hvtargid=kwd-328516292325&hydadcr=27318_11487988&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_4uhk93balc_e.

At least they don't hide what it is:

"Ancestral Supplements Grass Fed Bone Marrow — Whole Bone Extract (Bone, Marrow, Cartilage, Collagen). See Other Ingredients."

"Contains all the nutrients, specialized cells (including stem cells and base cells), collagen, growth factors, fat soluble activators and substances that the body uses to build, repair, and maintain all tissues*"

Don't know where the * leads to.

Oh...more good info: "NOTE: Whole bone (or) whole bone extract can be found by various names: MCHA, ossein hydroxyapatite, MCHC, or microcrystalline hydroxyapatite calcium."

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Ancestral-Sup...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Is Soylent Green far away? "What's better for the human body than eating other human bodies?"

Last edited by lingyi; 01-14-2020 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
<...>

"What's better for the human body than eating other human bodies?"
Well, you could always ask the Fore people of New Guinea about their epidemic of kuru (prion disease).
Old 01-14-2020, 09:23 AM

I'd buy bug bread if I could get it - I am disappointed that insects remain an expensive novelty food item in the UK.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
That would be my guess, or maybe as a common thing in places where the population doesn't commonly get enough protein.

Here in the US, whey protein is awfully inexpensive since it's a byproduct of cheese and yogurt production, and commonly added to all sorts of stuff that's protein-fortified. So I kind of doubt there's a lot of market to add fish meal to stuff.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:19 AM

Didn't we learn our lesson about mixing left-over scraps from the butcher shop floor into other food products? How soon will people start dying (horribly) from Mad Fish Disease?
Old 01-15-2020, 06:26 AM

This sounds one small step on the path to our Soylent future, so I'm all for it. I guess you could say I'm a people-person.