Old 01-13-2020, 01:49 AM

Two GM engineers caught street racing Corvettes at over 100 MPH in a 45 zone

Two GM engineers in Bowling Green, KY, where Corvettes are assembled, were caught street racing Corvettes on the streets outside of the Assembly Plant, one doing 100 and one doing 120.
They had just left a bar.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/202...ys/4450339002/
Old 01-13-2020, 02:56 AM

Hope they had enough fun to tide them over during their time of unemployment. The goodwill of the town of Bowling Green is a big asset to GM and this puts a big old black eye on the plant. Dang.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:00 AM

My son and I toured the assembly plant a few years ago. Very worthwhile.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:19 AM

PTSD from the massacre.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:10 PM

I used to work in marketing support for GM and got calls from excited new Corvette owners who'd paid extra for pickup at the Bowling Green plant--it's actually a standard option for 'Vettes. Tour of the plant, red carpet delivery of your new car then you drive it home to wherever you're from--road trip right off the bat. It's a neat service for a very fun car.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:29 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartAleq View Post
I used to work in marketing support for GM and got calls from excited new Corvette owners who'd paid extra for pickup at the Bowling Green plant--it's actually a standard option for 'Vettes. Tour of the plant, red carpet delivery of your new car then you drive it home to wherever you're from--road trip right off the bat. It's a neat service for a very fun car.
My father-in-law did this a couple of years ago, when he bought a new Corvette -- he'd been a Vette fan for decades, and picking up the car at the plant was something he'd long wanted to do.

He passed away late last year, and my wife is inheriting that Vette.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-13-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
PTSD from the massacre.
Ouch!
Old 01-13-2020, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Didn't they used to do something like that at Saab as well? Obviously you can't drive it home if you live in North America, but you could pick up your Saab at the factory, head off on a tour of Sweden for a week or two in your new car, then ship it home. And I would assume the cost of shipping it was part of the package.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:35 PM

Volvo still offers overseas delivery in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Last edited by QuickSilver; 01-13-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2020, 03:50 PM

My nephew is a GM engineer and he has driven the new Corvette.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:09 PM

But did he street race it at 100+mph in a 45 zone after coming from a bar?
Old 01-13-2020, 06:19 PM

Years ago I had always heard that you should not drive a brand new car long distances at a steady speed. You were supposed to drive at a variety of speeds to let the seals break in properly, or something like that. Seems like picking up a car in Bowling Green and immediately driving it to California might not be a good idea? Or is this advice obsolete with respect to modern cars?
Old 01-13-2020, 07:10 PM

It's been quite some years since breaking in a new engine was a thing--they come that way out of the factory. Factory delivery of a Corvette is a perfectly fine and dandy way to get to know your new sporty ride.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:57 PM

It's a 4 lane road and it would only take about 4 seconds to reach 100 if they were already traveling 45 mph. Pretty easy to get stupid in that car. Made worse by doing it under the influence. But there's a funeral chapel and a body repair shop along the way.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

I have a '14 Vette. Didn't pick it up from the factory, though.

Those guys shouldn't have been drinking and driving but otherwise I completely understand their plight.

Corvettes have a soul, personality, and mind of their own. You find yourself talking with it like a demented ventriloquist arguing with his dummy. It's hard to tell who is really calling the shots.

The C8 Stingray is beautiful and probably insane fun to drive.

Not Safe For Work.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:16 AM

I ever win the lottery I'm buying one, swear to gods. It's the only true American sports car, it has a provenance no other car has and even if they do corner like trucks that straight line acceleration is a pantysplash of the first order. And they are hands down the most affordable supercar out there. When I do, I'm gonna get the factory delivery, no doubt about it and then I will drive it home like I stole it.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
It's been quite some years since breaking in a new engine was a thing--they come that way out of the factory. Factory delivery of a Corvette is a perfectly fine and dandy way to get to know your new sporty ride.
It's still a thing for that kind of car. Chevy recommended not going over 4000 rpm, varying speeds, no full throttle etc for 500 miles and not participating in racing events for 1500 for Corvettes as of fairly recently at least.

I had to take my 2018 BMW M2 back for a special service at 1200 miles for them to replace 'break in fluids' and reset some software limits (various owner forums actually argue exactly what they do or don't at that interval but you're supposed to bring the car in). And stay below 4500, no kick downs (IOW flooring it to hit the kick down button and shift to lowest possible gear), before that.

So the special delivery options are actually a bit of quandary wrt break in. American buyers can accept delivery of BMW's in Munich (though M2's are assembled in Leipzig), the SUV factory/driving school in South Carolina or the driving school in CA. At least at latter two locations they'll take you out on the track in an already broken in one, at least for M's I believe. But Spartanburg SC is only around 700 miles away from my house, so I'd have been babying my car the whole way back home and then some if I'd gone back directly.

Like other 'ridiculous speeding' threads, on a street where you might run into other cars or pedestrians, 100-120 is not funny IMO. But there are 45 limit stretches (and certainly 55 and 65 stretches, lots of them) where the ethics of going 120 pretty much comes down to whether you think it's wrong it violate the speed limit a lot because...you're violating the speed limit a lot, not because of real danger to anyone outside the car. But if you wreck your car or get an extremely expensive ticket you have to accept it, likewise killing somebody in the car if you make it. If you kill yourself I guess you don't have to accept it, because you're dead.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 PM

I wouldn't sweat it because I live in Oregon and between me and Bowling Green there are simply oodles of loooooooong stretches where the the speed limit is more like 75-80 and I take my Subaru up to 90+ and stay there for miles. Great big swathes of desert with dry pavement, excellent road surfaces and nobody around for miles and miles. I went from Winnemucca to Burns along 95 then 78 and there was upwards of a hundred miles where I literally saw only three cars--one was parked (probably the victim of a serial killer for all I know, there's NOTHING out there!) and the other two were within a mile of the place I stayed the night near Burns. By the time I got to a stretch like that I'd have something like 2500 miles on the car and I'd be more than ready to let it stretch its legs a bit without damaging anyone at all. Maybe a coyote crossing the road unwisely or a jackrabbit but that's about all there is out there. If I fuck that up and crash, well, I'd deserve it.

But I'd never drive 120 in a 45 zone, that's just being an asshole.

Last edited by SmartAleq; 01-14-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's pretty dumb. According to GM's own product manual:

For the first 800 km (500 mi):
  • Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
  • Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control.
  • Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.

It's not going to be a fun road trip under those conditions!
Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
That's pretty dumb. According to GM's own product manual:

For the first 800 km (500 mi):
  • Do not exceed 4000 rpm.
  • Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control.
  • Avoid downshifting to brake or slow the vehicle when the engine speed will exceed 4000 rpm.
Almost surprised they don't offer a "service" where someone just drives it around the track at like 30 mph until it's past that point.

And how can I get that job?
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Almost surprised they don't offer a "service" where someone just drives it around the track at like 30 mph until it's past that point.

And how can I get that job?
A recent model ZR1 would be going 130+ in 6th gear at 4000 rpm. So, you have to take it fairly easy during break in (it would have to be a quite leisurely acceleration to 130, granted), not as fun as after break in, but it's not 30 mph.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...each-gear.html
(owner based, but no reason to doubt this graph in general AFAIK)
Old 01-15-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corry El View Post
A recent model ZR1 would be going 130+ in 6th gear at 4000 rpm. So, you have to take it fairly easy during break in (it would have to be a quite leisurely acceleration to 130, granted), not as fun as after break in, but it's not 30 mph.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...each-gear.html
(owner based, but no reason to doubt this graph in general AFAIK)
'Zactly--to all intents and purposes there isn't a breakin period, they're just cautioning you not to take it straight from the factory to a race track, which seems like just common sense to me. Normal street and highway driving isn't going to stress out a 'Vette in any real way, and acting the fool in your brand new sports car is a stellar way to end up with a very expensive ball of metal. Me, I'm old--I like to drive pretty fast but not ridiculously so and a cross country road trip in a brand new 'Vette is something that scores pretty high on my bucket list meter.

Besides, even if I were to want to redline it right off the bat, well, 500 miles from Bowling Green is around Kansas City so I'd stop into a dealership there, let them check it over and do anything that needed done and then I'd be on my way--about 2300 miles plus that I could drive with throttle wide open if I were silly enough to essay the experiment. So yeah, in my case the factory to home road trip would be fuckin' fantastic.
Old 01-15-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
'Zactly--to all intents and purposes there isn't a breakin period, they're just cautioning you not to take it straight from the factory to a race track, which seems like just common sense to me. Normal street and highway driving isn't going to stress out a 'Vette in any real way, and acting the fool in your brand new sports car is a stellar way to end up with a very expensive ball of metal. Me, I'm old--I like to drive pretty fast but not ridiculously so and a cross country road trip in a brand new 'Vette is something that scores pretty high on my bucket list meter.

Besides, even if I were to want to redline it right off the bat, well, 500 miles from Bowling Green is around Kansas City so I'd stop into a dealership there, let them check it over and do anything that needed done and then I'd be on my way--about 2300 miles plus that I could drive with throttle wide open if I were silly enough to essay the experiment. So yeah, in my case the factory to home road trip would be fuckin' fantastic.
I work for a Chevrolet dealer and the 500 mile service for Corvettes is considered the break-in period and your first oil change is done at that interval as well. The 'Vette is the only car that GM makes that has this that I am aware of.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

You're all ignoring the other salient point: "Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control."

Cross-country trip, constant 75 to 80 mph... I suppose one could use surface streets the whole way, but there are large swathes of land where "surface streets" are cross-country at 55 mpg posted.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 AM

Quote:
... cross-country at 55 mpg posted.
Now that's some Jimmy Carter-esque regulation. "Fast as you want, as long as you're getting 55 mpg."

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 01-16-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
You're all ignoring the other salient point: "Avoid driving at any one constant speed, fast or slow, including the use of cruise control."

Cross-country trip, constant 75 to 80 mph... I suppose one could use surface streets the whole way, but there are large swathes of land where "surface streets" are cross-country at 55 mpg posted.
Like I said before, my current car (M2) also had fairly tightly specified break in period and 1200 mile break in oil change service. So as I mentioned, taking delivery in Germany, then head to no speed limit segments of Autobahn!...oh, but you've have to limit yourself or else run up 1200 moderate miles and get the break in oil change while still there. Similarly if taking delivery in SC they'd do a nice program for me but I couldn't go even reasonably legally 'all out' on the 700 miles home. But as it was, I took delivery locally (NJ) and ran up most of the 1200 on country roads in PA (I don't drive to work nor use that car locally otherwise all that much). That was pretty fun. To me 'road trip' is definitely not constant 75-80 mph implying to me Interstates. We took the car on 5,000 road trip this year, maybe 10% Interstates. Mainly country, mountain and coastal roads where frequent speed change is more natural. So even during break in that was pretty fun, just couldn't floor it/kick down to pass on two lane roads or, to a lesser degree, 'dig out' of corners with a lot of throttle. But once past the 100-200 mile interval where you should also go easy on brakes and tires, I could still brake hard/late into curves and pull some lateral 'g': fun. Although being able to fully use throttle (even though an M2 not as much of a raw power car as upper end Corvettes) is more fun. As to really high speed I got the car up to the electronic limit (155) on a road with *nobody*, for miles of desert, but otherwise I only reach low triple digits occasionally flooring it on two lane road passes to get past as quick as possible. I go 60 or so on 55 'country roads' (though some of those are posted up to 70 when get out West) and it's plenty fun IMO to have a higher performing than avg car.

Last edited by Corry El; 01-16-2020 at 09:56 AM.