Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Is that the commercial where he says something to the effect of "a reverse mortgage isn't just a way to take your home"?

You know, if you have to say it, it probably isn't true.
Technically, he's right. A reverse mortgage isn't just a way to take your home, it's a way to take your home when you have no capacity to get a new one.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
I'm going to go see the 88-year-old this evening! My wife and I, Trekkers from long ago, are attending a live showing of Wrath of Khan, followed by Q&A with the Shat. We're hoping he'll be doing the MST3K bit all through the movie!

I'm fairly cross-eyed with JEALOUSY!

I'd love to hear Shatner's MST3K-type remarks on ST III. That movie had so many hilarious moments!

Have fun for me, too!

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post
I'm fairly cross-eyed with JEALOUSY!

I'd love to hear Shatner's MST3K-type remarks on ST III. That movie had so many hilarious moments!

Have fun for me, too!
Well, he didn't MST3K the movie, which would have been great. But, he did keep the audience in stitches for an hour afterwards.

The interviewer (head of the local nonprofit that maintains the venue*) would ask a question, and he would start to answer it and then drift off into a story, which would perhaps lead into a second or third story. You'd start to think, "Yeah, he's losing it", but his stories inevitably came back to answer the question... eventually.

His funniest story involved both DeForrest Kelly's love of his morning bagel and worries about losing his memory. Kelly put the bagel in the toaster and stood over it waiting for it to pop. Shatner gets Nimoy to distract Kelly, so he can steal the bagel and push the toaster down again. Kelly returns to watching the toaster and is surprised when it pops and there is nothing there. He puts another in, and returns to staring at it waiting to pop. With Nimoy's help, Shatner pulls the same gag again. When it pops up empty again, Kelly spins around, sees Shatner with his mouth full of bagel (destroying the evidence) and goes batshit. Very well told, funny as hell, especially with Shatner pantomiming the whole episode.

Enjoyed the movie as well. Pure '80s cheese, with Montalban in a David Bowie wig and plastic pectorals (although the Wikipedia claims no prothesis was used), Shatner's big hair rug, the maudlin subplot about Scotty's nephew, and a very young Kirstie Alley looking really, really good.

One thing that struck me was that a big part of the plot was how the cast had aged - and now they look so young. It was 38 years ago, after all. In fact, my wife and I went to see it on an early date back when.

Good times.

(* The Flynn Theater in Burlington, Vermont, an Art Deco masterpiece that dates back to the vaudeville days, was restored and turned into an arts venue about 25 years ago.)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Ringo Starr turns 80 (!) on July 7th of this year. If that doesn't make you feel old, nothing will.
Grace Slick made 80 last year.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Ringo Starr turns 80 (!) on July 7th of this year. If that doesn't make you feel old, nothing will.

*sigh*

MY Beatle!

~VOW
Old 01-17-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Today is Betty White's 98th birthday.

I know another 98-year-old woman who looks and acts 20 years younger. I only want to live that long if I'm like that myself.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 PM

I had to google the Tom Selleck Reverse Mortgage Ad, so here it is. Wow that ad is endless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41GTY9ajYVY
Old 01-17-2020, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
Enjoyed the movie as well. Pure '80s cheese, with Montalban in a David Bowie wig and plastic pectorals (although the Wikipedia claims no prothesis was used),
<frowns at BrotherCadfael>

Those were his actual pectoral muscles. The man was built.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
<frowns at BrotherCadfael>

Those were his actual pectoral muscles. The man was built.
Hey, I cited the Wikipedia article that countered the widespread rumor!