Old 01-10-2020, 12:44 PM

Web programmers that can't do their job

Signed up for an account on a website
Account requires verification sent to your email in order to activate
Website never sends email - even with "resend"
Therefore you can never get an account

Not the first time this has happened.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:46 PM

You need to check your spam folder to see if the message is there.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:48 PM

That's what happens when the programmers are in the 3rd world/Russia/Eastern europe/.etc making 20% of what US guys make.

A lot of places now realize those low pay rates are not worth it due to crap software they produce.

old joke: they asked astronaut what he thought right before lift off. "1 million parts in this rocket, all built by the lowest bidder"
Old 01-10-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
old joke: they asked astronaut what he thought right before lift off. "1 million parts in this rocket, all built by the lowest bidder"
Even the monkey refused to go.
Old 01-10-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Signed up for an account on a website
Account requires verification sent to your email in order to activate
Website never sends email - even with "resend"
Therefore you can never get an account

Not the first time this has happened.
Don't be so quick to judge. Sometimes the mail servers are down. But do check your spam folder.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:21 PM

The distinction is not important to the consumer, but there's probably a 5% chance that this is a programmer issue. Most likely it's your email provider marking it spam, your email application moving it to Junk, or the network/DevOps people messing something up.

I leave off "the user entered their email address wrong" because Dopers are too smart for that, but it's a very common cause in the rest of the world.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:28 PM

I have a similar problem. Paul Krugman supposedly has a newsletter. I clicked the site to sign up for it and said okay you are registered without asking where to send it. That was a month ago and I've not received anything. When I tried signing up again it said I was already signed up and that was the end of it.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:18 PM

There's another oddball quirk I've come across:

Some people choose e-mail names with a dot in them, like Firstname.Lastname@somewhere.com

Some e-mail software (on either client or server side) seems to do quirky things with that, like ignoring the dot. So if you are FirstName.Lastname@somewhere.com then it's possible, for example, that somewhere.com will send your e-mail to FirstNameLastName@somewhere.com instead.

I get mis-directed e-mail like from time to time.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
There's another oddball quirk I've come across:

Some people choose e-mail names with a dot in them, like Firstname.Lastname@somewhere.com

Some e-mail software (on either client or server side) seems to do quirky things with that, like ignoring the dot. So if you are FirstName.Lastname@somewhere.com then it's possible, for example, that somewhere.com will send your e-mail to FirstNameLastName@somewhere.com instead.

I get mis-directed e-mail like from time to time.
Gmail ignores periods and anything after a plus sign when receiving emails.

The latter is a good way to identify where spam is coming from if you use it correctly.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:35 PM

It could be your email messing up. Try different email accounts.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:42 PM

Web developer here. Sending emails is trivial, I'd say there's a 0.01% chance this is the programmer's fault. Programmers don't typically control the server environment. The web server needs to talk to the email server, the email server needs to be able to talk to a mail relay, and the mail relay needs to pass the smell test of whatever server ultimately receives the email. The problem with email in general, from a developer perspective, is that it's a black hole. You fire off emails, you have no idea if they ever get anywhere. Unless your business is sending emails, that's pretty much the extent of any logging a developer can do -- "Sorry boss, application says the email was sent. Check with <anyone else>."
Old 01-17-2020, 12:10 PM

A couple of months ago I signed up with a site and didn't get my password emailed to. At first they claimed it was just me, but a few days later they said all they were having issues with all rr.com addresses.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steronz View Post
Web developer here. Sending emails is trivial, I'd say there's a 0.01% chance this is the programmer's fault. Programmers don't typically control the server environment. The web server needs to talk to the email server, the email server needs to be able to talk to a mail relay, and the mail relay needs to pass the smell test of whatever server ultimately receives the email. The problem with email in general, from a developer perspective, is that it's a black hole. You fire off emails, you have no idea if they ever get anywhere. Unless your business is sending emails, that's pretty much the extent of any logging a developer can do -- "Sorry boss, application says the email was sent. Check with <anyone else>."
Yes. At programming level, you have the possibility (and actually the duty) to verify the email address for proper format. Where the actual email address that's processed leads to is not in the realm of the programmer.

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 01-17-2020 at 11:48 PM.