Old 01-17-2020, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

And you need to worry even less about the "vampiric loss" from leaving the charging brick plugged in when you're not charging your phone.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:39 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

For cordless charging, is the efficiency of charging affected by the orientation of the phone on the pad? I would guess not, at least in terms of its orientation in the plane of the pad.

I am less sure I understand that would still be the case if the phone (and the coils/battery within it) were tilted at an angle (up or down) to the pad.

Does the orientation matter?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
For cordless charging, is the efficiency of charging affected by the orientation of the phone on the pad? I would guess not, at least in terms of its orientation in the plane of the pad.

I am less sure I understand that would still be the case if the phone (and the coils/battery within it) were tilted at an angle (up or down) to the pad.

Does the orientation matter?
Angular orientation (i.e. whether the ear-end of your phone faces N/S/E/W) shouldn't matter. But the coil inside your phone needs to have its axis aligned relatively well with the axis of the coil in the base. This assures that the maximum amount of magnetic flux produced by the base's coil passes through the coil inside the phone. Part of the Qi wireless charging standard includes communication from your phone to the base telling it how much power is being received; the base adjusts its coil current as needed to achieve the target power level in the phone's coil. Presumably the base has an upper limit on how much current it will push through its own coil; if your phone is positioned badly enough so that the base hits this current limit while trying to deliver the target amount of power, it will shut down (don't know for sure, but this might even be how it knows to shut down when you simply pick your phone up).
Old 01-18-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

That may be why the charger I have is designed the way it is. There’s not much doubt how to align it, standing up against the vertical piece.