Old 02-12-2019, 10:36 AM

Apex Legends -- New High-water Mark for Free-to-Play Games?

For anybody that enjoys multiplayer shooters on PC, Xbox, or Playstation, this game should probably be on your radar.

It's a battle royale ala Fortnite, but is also character-based like Overwatch. It has a colorful scifi art style that strikes a good balance between cartoony and serious. It's set in the same world as Titanfall but doesn't have Titans (or vehicles of any kind).

It's strictly squad-based, and they have a really clever system that lets you very easily tag items or enemies or suggested destinations for your squadmates. It makes it MUCH easier to coordinate with people, especially if they don't have a headset.

I'm not a big online gaming guy and am skeptical of free games, but I am pretty darn impressed. Worth checking out if, like me, Fortnite seems fun but turned you off with its overly teenager-y vibe and clunky building mechanics.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:16 AM

I just started playing Fortnite a couple months ago and actually enjoy it quite a bit. I know a lot of people who've been playing for a while are migrating to Apex Legends, but I'm not burnt out just yet. The building part of FN is definitely my weak point. But solo battle royale is by far my favorite mode, which I gather is not a thing in Apex. How is the BR constructed? Squads only? How big are teams? Is there a possibility they could add a solo mode or does it not work based on the characters in the game? So many questions, I should probably just research it a little.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
I just started playing Fortnite a couple months ago and actually enjoy it quite a bit. I know a lot of people who've been playing for a while are migrating to Apex Legends, but I'm not burnt out just yet. The building part of FN is definitely my weak point. But solo battle royale is by far my favorite mode, which I gather is not a thing in Apex. How is the BR constructed? Squads only? How big are teams? Is there a possibility they could add a solo mode or does it not work based on the characters in the game? So many questions, I should probably just research it a little.
It's squad-only, three to a squad. 60 players per game, so 20 3-player squads.

They've indicated no plans for a solo mode, and I don't think they will add one except as a mini mode. It would screw up the balance, because some of the characters are support classes. Playing the healer or the bullet-shield in solo would be a bad time.

I usually prefer solo games as well, but they do a good job of making squads work with strangers. You can always see your squadmates, and the game will semi-automatically do things like telling your squadmates if you're under fire or bleeding out. Your characters actually talk to each other with their character voices when you use the automatic communications (called "pings" in the game), which actually gives it an interesting sort of liveliness.

My only complaint so far is that players have a lot of HP, so it can be tough to get kills even if you get the drop on somebody. It's similar to Halo or other sci-fi shooters where even a full clip at normal range won't always take somebody out, especially since armor pickups are pretty common.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:05 PM

Oh, my other complaint is that I KINDA hate most of the character designs. They're all just a little bit too "90s grimdark comic book" for my tastes. It's fine in game and they all have distinct looks and personalities and such, but I can't imagine ever, say, buying a bobblehead of my main for my desk like an Overwatch player might. Some of them might be improved with new skins, but most of the skins I've seen are just color swaps.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typoink View Post
My only complaint so far is that players have a lot of HP, so it can be tough to get kills even if you get the drop on somebody. It's similar to Halo or other sci-fi shooters where even a full clip at normal range won't always take somebody out, especially since armor pickups are pretty common.
This is my main complaint coming from generally somewhat more realistic shooters. Too much bullet sponginess. That plus all the special abilities and other random elements make it really hard to rely on good tactics if you can never really tell if you will be able to win a firefight until you're in it.

Still good fun for now, but I'm hoping something better will come along. Battlefield V's Firestorm, maybe?

Last edited by duality72; 02-12-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:28 AM

Not had a proper look at it yet but my son and his mates are all over it - Fortnite RIP.
I did wonder if they weren't pissing millions of dollars down the drain with it being first person - nae skins. It's also a 16 cert in the UK which may effect it's takeup amongst the kids.

If it's a bit more strategic than Fortnite that would be good. I liked a dabble with that game but it illustrated that my reflexes are basically past it - needs to have age-group tournaments like in sports, geezers building at a glacial pace and taking eight shots to get their aim down.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Scissors View Post
Not had a proper look at it yet but my son and his mates are all over it - Fortnite RIP.
I did wonder if they weren't pissing millions of dollars down the drain with it being first person - nae skins. It's also a 16 cert in the UK which may effect it's takeup amongst the kids.

If it's a bit more strategic than Fortnite that would be good. I liked a dabble with that game but it illustrated that my reflexes are basically past it - needs to have age-group tournaments like in sports, geezers building at a glacial pace and taking eight shots to get their aim down.
Nah, I think the first-person move is smart -- skins still matter because, if you win, your avatar gets pictured on banners for the next round (and you're looking at your own avatar between matches). I personally hate most third-person shooters because the angles just never feel quite right to me and there's few things more annoying that having your own BODY blocking something you want to see.

It's definitely a bit more tactical than Fortnite because moving and acting in a squad are emphasized and there's a lot of support powers available, BUT it's also a bit twitchy. I'm enjoying it, but starting to suspect I might not ever actually get decent because I've never loved aiming while running / jumping / sliding and it feels like Apex emphasizes that.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:16 PM

This game is absolutely amazing. It adds so many quality of life features like the ping system and respawning. The focus on movement and stuff is excellent. I'm going to throw all the money at it that they allow.

The best part is how people don't turn into 8-story buildings when you shoot at them.

Apparently after like seven years of playing Dota, I've forgotten how to shoot straight. Save me, 3daimtrainer.com
Old Yesterday, 04:17 AM

This game seems to be cool! Though I am not a great fan of the genre, I'm going to try it as soon as possible. This week maybe)