View Poll Results: Donald Trump is going to win in 2020, are you happy about this?
I'm a registered Republican, and of course I'm happy. He's a fantastic President. 6 2.86%
I'm a registered Republican, but not really. While he does some good stuff, he is damaging my country and party. 8 3.81%
I'm a right leaning independent and I think he's doing great. Four more years! 12 5.71%
I'm a right leaning independent, but personally I would rather we changed direction. 14 6.67%
I'm a left leaning independent and I would be happy if he won again. Drain the swamp! 5 2.38%
I'm a left leaning independent and I will only be happy if he's gone. Drain the swamp! 59 28.10%
I'm a registered Democrat, and I would actually be happy if he stuck around another term. Don't tell anyone! 3 1.43%
I'm a registered Democrat. Is this thread a joke? Please make him go away. 89 42.38%
It doesn't matter what I am. Who cares if he wins or loses; people take this way too seriously. 14 6.67%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2020, 11:56 PM

Donald Trump is going to win in 2020, are you happy about it?

I'm not looking for a debate, so please don't fight the hypothetical. Anyway Betfaire currently has his odds around 54%; seems disappointingly likely to me. What I want to know is how you feel about it. Please imagine he is running against whoever you think is most likely for the purposes of this poll.

Poll inbound.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:04 AM

your poll didn't have a place for the likes of me. i am the patient anarchist, disgusted with the status quo, the entrenched bureaucracy and the sheep who empower the political elite. to me trump is the poison pill that weakens the corrupt establishment and frightens the entitled masses. seeing him elected to a second term would go a long way toward restoring my faith in the intelligence of the electorate.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:23 AM

I'm a leftist. I guess there is a silver lining to him winning.

I think it'll lead to more democratic gains on the state and local level as well as federal congress. Plus it'll increase donations and volunteerism, as well as turnout among democrats. Trump is the antidote to democratic complacency.

If the democrats control both houses of congress they can stop most of Trump's agenda.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-28-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:41 AM

I'm not too worried about what bad things he might do in his 2nd term because he will be the ultimate lame of all lame duck presidents. If he has no Senate majority, he won't even be able to get judges confirmed.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

If he gets reelected and the economy tanks, I'll be happy he got reelected.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
If he gets reelected and the economy tanks, I'll be happy he got reelected.
and if the economy tanks with a democrat in office you can always blame him anyway. that is what democrats do, isn't it?
Old 01-28-2020, 02:31 AM

I cannot adequately express in words how much I want that person to no longer be amongst the living. Unfortunately, the more I see of what the dipsh*t (their "dipsh*ttery" is of a MUCH different kind than that of the Repubes) Dems are up to right now the less convinced I am that any of them are going to beat that moron come November.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:42 AM

As Curly Howard once said, "Very Very Happy Happy."

My retirement accounts are doing quite nicely, and my friends who were unemployed through the Obama era are all gainfully employed now. Life is good. Let's keep it that way.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:28 AM

I will be estatic. 4 more years of the best soap opera anyone could have ever imagined.

David Duke for AG in his second term?
Old 01-28-2020, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

You forgot poll choices for us non-Americans:

-- I'm not American, but I think he will be re-elected, and I'm happy about it.
-- I'm not American, but I think he will be re-elected, and I'm not happy about it.
-- I'm not American, but I think he will not be re-elected, and I'm happy about it.
-- I'm not American, but I think he will not be re-elected, and I'm not happy about it.

Americans might be surprised at the amount of coverage that Mr. Trump, and American government in general, receives outside of the United States. As a result, we all, in the international community, have opinions of some sort. Restricting your poll options to "I'm a Republican, and..." or "I'm a Democrat, and..." automatically excludes those of us Dopers who cannot vote either party, or even vote in the US, yet still have opinions about the American presidential elections.

Perhaps you might ask a Mod to amend your thread title to "Americans Only: Donald Trump is going to win in 2020, are you happy about it?"
Old 01-28-2020, 06:59 AM

I'm an Independent who almost always votes Democratic. I don't want that piece of shit to be impeached, because Pence, but I do want that entire gang voted out of office. Lock them up!
Old 01-28-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
My retirement accounts are doing quite nicely, and my friends who were unemployed through the Obama era are all gainfully employed now. Life is good. Let's keep it that way.
So in other words, Thanks, Obama.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

undertheice, Trump is the corrupt establishment and entitled mass. He's the exact opposite of what you say you stand for.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:25 AM

54 percent? Pfft. That's hardly a lock.

I'll stick to what I've said all along. Trump will be acquitted, but he will not be reelected. Americans are stupid, but not that stupid.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:

It was Moe Howard who said that, and the rest of your post is short-sighted twaddle.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

I'll stick to what I've said all along. Trump will be acquitted, but he will not be reelected. Americans are stupid, but not that stupid.

Americans: "Challenge accepted!"
Old 01-28-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:

You know Obama created jobs at a higher rate than Trump, right?
Old 01-28-2020, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Is this a trick question? I am not American and I am frightened by his stupidity, what he represents, and the influence he seems to have across a wide swathe of dangerous morons.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I think replacing Sessions (who didn't have many scruples, but still had some) with Barr (who has none) as AG was a key moment in the Trump Administration: from then on, nobody in the government was going to act as a check on him. In the year since then, the amount of damage Trump's managed to do to this country and its institutions has been really quite impressive, especially for someone who really has no idea how things work.

He's going to have one more unfettered year as it is. If he has five more years instead of just one, the amount of havoc he'll be able to wreak on this country is really more than we can imagine.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:10 AM

The piece of shit is a corrupt evil asshole. And a moron to boot. An embarrassment to the United States and the world. That he wasn't imprisoned years ago shows how screwed up our system is.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Gosh, I'm on tenterhooks to see how this SDMB poll turns out.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-28-2020, 09:50 AM

You forgot: "Not crazy about him, but he isn't as bad as those other candidates."

Regardless of you may think about him relative to other candidates, this is the basis of at least a good part of his support.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoons View Post
You forgot poll choices for us non-Americans:

-- I'm not American, but I think he will be re-elected, and I'm happy about it.
-- I'm not American, but I think he will be re-elected, and I'm not happy about it.
-- I'm not American, but I think he will not be re-elected, and I'm happy about it.
-- I'm not American, but I think he will not be re-elected, and I'm not happy about it.

Americans might be surprised at the amount of coverage that Mr. Trump, and American government in general, receives outside of the United States. As a result, we all, in the international community, have opinions of some sort. Restricting your poll options to "I'm a Republican, and..." or "I'm a Democrat, and..." automatically excludes those of us Dopers who cannot vote either party, or even vote in the US, yet still have opinions about the American presidential elections.

Perhaps you might ask a Mod to amend your thread title to "Americans Only: Donald Trump is going to win in 2020, are you happy about it?"
I'm in the same situation you are but is "Americans only" implied by the questions asked? Neither you or I fit into the questions so I had presumed the questions implied "Americans only". (that means my son and two grandchildren can vote and I sure know how they're voting)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:59 AM

I have to quibble with the choices, I would leave out the word "registered". Many states do not require party registration and many of us never register.

As a loyal, though unregistered, Democrat I of course think he is an existential threat to civilization and is the spawn of Satan. I predict he will drop dead on a national holiday. Doesn't matter what day it is, after the fact it will be a national holiday.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheice View Post
your poll didn't have a place for the likes of me. i am the patient anarchist, disgusted with the status quo, the entrenched bureaucracy and the sheep who empower the political elite. to me trump is the poison pill that weakens the corrupt establishment and frightens the entitled masses. seeing him elected to a second term would go a long way toward restoring my faith in the intelligence of the electorate.
Trump is the epitome of evil and corruption, he fit naturally in and brought his version of the swamp with him, his family, and even more of the elite in high places, of which many had zero qualifications other than being filthy rich. Him getting elected to a second term will restore your faith in the intelligence of the electorate, will it?

Quote:
and if the economy tanks with a democrat in office you can always blame him anyway. that is what democrats do, isn't it?
I'm glad Republicans are not like that. No-siree. This booming economy is just an illusion financed by yearly trillion dollar deficits. Most experts agree they didn't get what was projected by the tax cuts.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
You know Obama created jobs at a higher rate than Trump, right?
Yup. Trump is taking credits for Obama's policies.

http://www.msnbc.com/sites/msnbc/fil...?itok=TEo7chwj

https://thumbor.forbes.com/thumbor/7....jpg?width=960

Trump's economy (massive deficits, supply side tax cuts that don't create jobs, trade wars, tariffs, austerity, etc) is only starting. Right now Trump is coasting off Obama's achievements while denouncing Obama.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-28-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

To stop people fighting the hypothetical like this, I think the OP should have just written the thread as "Trump just got reelected, what are your thoughts?" rather than putting it as 54%.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM

I live in the UK.

It is very depressing to see how an appalling liar like Trump can get elected - and be favourite to be re-elected.
We have the same problem here - whilst the Prime Minister Boris Johnson is not as dreadful as Trump, he is certainly also an incompetent liar who is only out for himself and his backers.

Trump is not only bad for America - but he encourages similar behaviour all over the World.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Gosh, I'm on tenterhooks to see how this SDMB poll turns out.

Regards,
Shodan
Right?

Mostly this poll was aimed at you and your ilk (please excuse the vernacular). I was curious to see how Republicans and right leaning independents felt about the Trump presidency continuing. I know that he has done some good things from a Republican point of view, but he has also done tremendous damage to the "party of fiscal responsibility" and its shining city on the hill. Abroad he has decimated the state department, weakened our military position, alienated our allies, and pleased our enemies (with the notable exception of Iran). Here at home he has divided the country more than any time since the civil war. He also seems to be on track to permanently establishing the executive as the supreme branch of government; checks and balances mean nothing to his administration (thanks to the legislature which has long shirked its responsibility). Let's face it, President Obama may have been bad in this respect, but he is nothing compared to Trump and his unitary executive theory. I hope that you "small government" conservatives remember this next time a Democrat takes up the reins and wields the power that has grown so much under this President.

Also, the guy is an amoral crook and this will most likely leave a lasting taint on the Republican Party.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
If the democrats control both houses of congress they can stop most of Trump's agenda.
If Trump wins in 2020 there's no way that the Republicans don't take the House and retain the Senate. Downstream victories in state races means further gerrymandering in favour of the Republicans. It also means a very good chance of a Republican supermajority on the Supreme Court.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Fun Ball View Post
Right?

Mostly this poll was aimed at you and your ilk (please excuse the vernacular). I was curious to see how Republicans and right leaning independents felt about the Trump presidency continuing.
Then why not give them any real options? How about, "I'm a Republican, and am very unhappy about this clown, and terribly upset he's been reelected"? You don't really give The Ilk much of a chance, do you?

In My Humble Opinion, your poll sucks.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Then why not give them any real options? How about, "I'm a Republican, and am very unhappy about this clown, and terribly upset he's been reelected"? You don't really give The Ilk much of a chance, do you?

In our state, we don't register with a party, so although I'm not a registered Democrat, I fell aligned to the party. I suppose I could vote in this poll as a "registered democrat," but the options don't carry the necessary level of disgust needed to express my true feelings.

I can't even wrap my head around four more years of this shit stain in office. It's depressing, embarrassing, and nauseating.

Last edited by Procrustus; 01-28-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:53 AM

I still think Trump will lose this time. It will be close. The popular vote will be an even bigger margin to not Trump but the Dems will barely squeak out the electoral college win this time.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Would that have been your choice? The OP gives nine choices which should suffice for a poll, but still gets the gist of it. So you wouldn't feel comfortable with either of these two choices that was given?

Quote:
I'm a registered Republican, but not really. While he does some good stuff, he is damaging my country and party.

I'm a right leaning independent, but personally I would rather we changed direction.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:

Maybe. I'm sincerely sorry it disappoints you. That said, I made it for myself trying to answer something I wanted answered. I am not a pollster, so maybe the way I went about it was fundamentally flawed. I thought making the poll more broad and less skewed would allow me to get the answer I was seeking in an honest way. If you disagree, make your own poll.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:37 PM

I am somewhat torn between wanting to see the orange assclown tried and thrown in jail on various corruption and financial crimes, ASAP, and seeing how much further the GOP is willing to debase itself as members of the 63M strong Trump cult.

The latter seems far to dangerous a fire to play with because it may not be limited to a mere 4 more years. But it's the kind of ongoing train wreck that is hard to look away from.
Old 01-28-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

FWIW I voted for
Quote:
I'm a registered Republican, but not really. While he does some good stuff, he is damaging my country and party.
and would not have picked the 'terribly unhappy" choice that you gave.

I would very much prefer some other President than Trump, but not necessarily any other President than Trump, IYSWIM. I didn't vote for Trump in 2016, and I haven't made up my mind who to vote for in 2020.

It is actually possible to hold a position about Trump between the Fuehrer Prinzip and Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 01-28-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
FWIW I voted for and would not have picked the 'terribly unhappy" choice that you gave.

I would very much prefer some other President than Trump, but not necessarily any other President than Trump, IYSWIM. I didn't vote for Trump in 2016, and I haven't made up my mind who to vote for in 2020.

It is actually possible to hold a position about Trump between the Fuehrer Prinzip and Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Regards,
Shodan
I take VERY serious issue with people using the term "Trump Derangement Syndrome." That implies that there is something wrong with the people who didn't vote for Angry Lid'l' Donny and who wish he'd simply drop dead. On the contrary, what's "wrong" is that people in this country believed (and STILL believe, apparently) his lies and voted for him despite all the available evidence that he simply isn't up to the job (to say the very least). I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting somebody with BRAINS, CLASS, and MORALS, all things that Angry Lid'l' Donny is SORELY lacking, in the W.H. But apparently that's asking too much of members of the Cult of Trump.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:14 PM

Depends on whom he is running against in November. If Joe Biden, then I want Biden to win. If Pete Buttigieg, then I want Buttigieg to win. But more than Trump losing, I want Biden, Warren, and Sanders to bow out of the race. They are workers and progressive allies, not leaders, and they belong in the Senate. But if we end up with four more years of Agent Orange, I'd survive. He's already done most of the damage he can do.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 01-28-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
How about, "I'm a Republican, and am very unhappy about this clown, and terribly upset he's been reelected"?
Now that would be an option I could click.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya View Post
He's already done most of the damage he can do.
Optimist.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Every poll should have an option for the kooky accelerationist.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
That position is "Sure, he's horrible, but I'm not gonna like oppose him or anything."
Old 01-28-2020, 06:14 PM

I fucked up my vote, hit the wrong button up there and said I'd like to see him re-elected, which I most definitely don't. The UK under the buffoon Boris will be at the mercy of Trump, because we'll need a trade deal after our disastrous EU referendum. I'm hoping to wake up soon and find the last 4 years have been a fucking nightmare
Old 01-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Is your username based on this classic Italian revolutionary anthem?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Tuk9bJ8lHuM
Old 01-29-2020, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

In November 2016, he was the lesser evil.

In November 2020, if he were to face an opponent with a track record of advocating left-wing economics, open borders, and gun control, he would continue to be the lesser evil.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:23 AM

I won't fight the hypothetical but quibble with too much variation in the background of the person (GOP, Dem, X leaning independent) and not enough variation in view of Trump. I guess people with a fairly dim view of Trump but voted or might vote for him outnumber people who think he's 'great'. On the other side a lot people who voted and will vote for the Democrat 16/20 would take almost as dim a view of a 'good guy' GOP'er like McCain or Romney as Trump, if Trump disappeared.

A *lot* is driven by 'lesser of evils' for a huge chunk of people including me. The poll hardly reflects that in any choice, so I can't answer it.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:40 AM

I voted the closest to: "Democrat and I wish the first mission for Space Force would be to transport Trump to Mars", but I suspect that's the sort of thing that'll trigger the War of the Worlds.

Despite the above, I think I'll miss him when he's gone, sort of the way I miss the circus when it's not in town.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
That position is "Sure, he's horrible, but I'm not gonna like oppose him or anything."
I think the position is "The things Trump has actually done are not as bad as the things I imagine the Democrats would do."

That's not a totally unrealistic view by itself. If, somehow, the American Nazi Party managed to replace the Democrats and my Election Day choice was between Donald Trump and the Nazi candidate, I would vote for Trump. He's very bad but he's not as bad as a Nazi. And I say that, even though my knowledge of what a Nazi President would be like in office is theoretical.

But there's the thing; a lot of people do not have a realistic view of what the Democrats are actually like. They simply accept what conservatives tell them is true about the Democrats without acknowledging that the conservatives have a bias against the Democrats and that conservatives have a pattern of saying things which are not true.

So the belief that Donald Trump would be better than an actual Nazi is reasonable. The belief that Donald Trump would be better than Hillary Clinton is not. The reasonable conclusion in 2016 was that Hillary Clinton was the lesser evil.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Despite the above, I think I'll miss him when he's gone, sort of the way I miss the circus when it's not in town.
I was able to enjoy Trump's antics when he was just a celebrity. But I don't enjoy them when he has real power.