Old 09-10-2019, 11:14 AM

How did your parents meet?

I asked my mum this and she told me that it was a Friday, she had been working all day and wasn't feeling particularly well, when she went home that evening she had no intention of doing anything except having an early night. A friend asked her if she was going to a dance that night and she declined. Later that evening another friend called who wouldn't take no for an answer and against her better judgement she decided to go.

She met my dad at the dance.

I don't know if it was 'love at first sight' but they were married not that long afterwards and will, god willing, celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in 2021. Mum worked in a cigarette factory (though as far as I'm aware never smoked, either did my dad) and dad was a farmer, he later joined the Forestry Service.

She was 24 at the time and dad was 21.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 AM

I never asked them.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Introduced by a mutual friend. My dad used to joke that she (said friend) told him she wanted him to meet a "good Christian woman," but he declined saying he'd prefer to meet a sinner and reform her. Obviously, he wound up meeting her.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 09-10-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Church. Neither of them is particularly religious, it was "Chinese Church," which was really more of a social thing than religious, especially in the 50s.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 AM

We kids were told that they met at a dance in my mother's home town, shortly after the end of WWII. My father might have been wearing his Merchant Marine noncom uniform. At this time he was already (age 23) divorced, and his infant daughter had died of SIDS. My mother, age 20, was pretty much an innocent, I think. They were married a few months later, a marriage that lasted 57 years until my mother's death.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:46 AM

Lived near one another and had the same circle of friends in high school (though I think they went to different schools).
Old 09-10-2019, 12:22 PM

My dad was working at an auto parts store, made friends with a group of guys who had a hot rod "gang". One of the guys in the gang had a little sister, who had recently graduated high school and was working at Gambel's Department Store. Mom was not impressed by him at first, stating he looked like a typical greaser (it was the mid-50's, after all). Dad said she was a "prissy gal".
They married a year later.
Sadly, Dad died 5 months before they could celebrate their 50th anniversary.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Future Uncle was dating Mom's best friend (Future Aunt) in high school and there was an attempt at fixing her up with Future Uncle's older brother who was then in the Marines and home on leave. The date didn't come off at that time, but Mom acquired a photo of her potential blind date and held onto it because she thought the boy looked cute in his uniform.

Three years later, Mom is in college and meets a guy at a party. They get to talking and she learns his last name. "I've got a photo of one of your brothers," she says, and produces the photo from her pocketbook.

Not a brother. Him. He was out of the Marines by then.

Last edited by Miss Mapp; 09-10-2019 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

He was a grad student in biochemistry at a small state university, and she was a secretary in the same department. It wasn't quite love at first sight, but she always said that as soon as she saw him, she knew he was the man she was going to marry. He wanted to propose on the first date but thought it would be more seemly to wait for the second. She waited until the third or fourth date to accept his proposal. They were married 37 years until death parted them.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Hairdressing school. My dad was out of the Marines and was looking for skills to turn into a career. He met my mom, who also was training for a career, but didn't like hairdressing.

Apparently, when you're cutting hair, your customer keeps telling you how to do your job. Dad didn't like people telling him what to do.

He got into auto body repair instead.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

They met at college. I don't know the details.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

My dad and Mom grew up within a mile of each other and knew each other at least by the time Dad was 8 and Mom was 5. They didn't know each other well and actually attended different schools. But they first did meet at a very young age.

They were married in 1944 and stayed married until my father's death in 2005 so almost 61 years.

Last edited by OldGuy; 09-10-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:28 PM

Daddy was stationed at a small Navy depot and met my Mothers sister at a dance club. My Mother was too young to get in the club. Daddy went to their house on Sunday and met My Mother. The rest was just like you'd expect. He was around their house alot while he was living on the base. He was deploying overseas in a few weeks so they rushed up a wedding. She stayed at her Mom's house til he got stateside.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Apparently, they were both singing in a college choir, and my mother was the girl who stood in front of my dad, or something like that.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:32 PM

Lived on farms less than a half mile apart. My Dad played with my Mom's brothers, etc. But the key "meeting" was after the war and were no longer living at home when they ran into each other outside a movie theater.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

They were in confirmation class together, and then dated in high school. Their 70th anniversary is in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-10-2019, 01:42 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

They grew up in the same general area of east Baltimore and they attended the same Polish church. The only story I remember was that Dad went to Mom's house to see her and she told her father not to let him in. He was 16 at the time and she was 12. I don't know how things progressed from there, but they married when Dad was a 22-y/o Marine and Mom was 18 and working at the library (she graduated high school at 16.) Dad died 2 months after their 50th anniversary.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

It was the mid-50s and they both had summer jobs at a resort in the Catskills (like was depicted in the movie Dirty Dancing). He was a waiter and she was a baby sitter. They both lived in Brooklyn but went to different schools.

They got married in 1958. She was 19 and he was one month shy of his 21st birthday. According to New York law at the time, his mom had to sign off on the marriage. It was 18 for women and 21 for men.

I was born in '63, my sister was born in '65 and they were divorced in '72.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM

My father was a telephone lineman, and his company transferred him to a small town in SE Georgia in 1966. One payday, he stopped at my grandparents' restaurant to treat himself to a steak. My mother was the cute teenage waitress.

Grandmother was manning the grill that night. According to the story, the first statement Ma made about her future husband was "Mama, some fool wants a T-bone, lightly burnt."

My parents married in 1967, when my mother was 17 and my father was 24. They were a great match, but only had 11 years together before Daddy died.

Strange aside: after they'd been out on a few dates, my father told Ma "I've seen you in Savannah before."
"Nuh uh."
"Yep. At the St. Patrick's Day parade in 1961."
"Never went to the parade."
"You and your parents and sisters were waiting to buy tickets at the movie theater. You were wearing (describes specific outfit,) and your mama was wearing a light blue cloth coat."

My mom's family had, in fact, gone to see the movie "Exodus" at a theater on the parade route. Daddy was marching with his high school JROTC unit. He was 18 years and 8 days old, and my mom 4 months away from turning 11.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

OMG!!! I just read the "..." in my parents wedding album!

Quote:
My mother passed away in 1968 when I was a year old, my father passing away 39 years later. After he died, I was given a large amount of personal papers and such from their time together in the 1950's and 1960's, including the only picture I have ever seen of my four siblings and mother and father together.

So I'm reading their wedding album more closely and I notice that there's an extended section of her writing about the time she met my father, including her original observations, etc.

Quote:
"When I first met B. I couldn't stand him, I thought he was so arrogant! I was with Stacey C. and Kat at a mixer, and there he was in the middle of everybody, thinking he was the king of the world.

We met again that spring at another function, and talked. He was much less arrogant, and I learned that we grew up a few blocks from each other in Charleston! It ended with him asking me for a date.

We went to Skeenie's for a quick dinner, then went to see "Oklahoma!" ...we went for a drive... I barely made it for curfew."
So I guess it's true, that scene in Mamma Mia! about the "dot dot dot's". And this was a double-triple-dot, I guess for added emphasis.

It's very sweet and all, but still... this was the first date, mom!
Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

At a Catskills resort, playing tennis.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:18 PM

I imagine my parent's story is pretty typical for the Depression era. My mom was a teacher in a one-room elementary school in the sandhills of Nebraska, and she (along with her 3 sisters) lived at home with my grandmother, a widow who rented out a spare bedroom for extra income.

My dad (a Mississippian) was working for one of the economic recovery agencies (WPA? CCC? I don't recall) as a dragline operator on some kind of flood-control project on the Loup River (this was around 1938). He rented the spare room in my grandmother's house, and the rest is history.

Last edited by Rough Draft; 09-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:21 PM

They knew each other in high school, but I don't think they were friends; they just had a few classes together. Mom went away to college, Dad stayed in town. When Mom came home for the summer after her freshman year, she ran into Dad at the grocery store where he was working. Dad asked her out, they fell madly in love, Mom dropped out of college, and six months later they were married. 53 years later, they still fawn all over each other like they're on their first date.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 PM

I was told (by them) that they met in a bowling alley while both were bowling for other teams. Don't know many details, but they were married in 1952 and were still married until my mom's death in 1991.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:00 PM

They went to High School together. Family lore says that Dad ripped a fart in class and blamed it on Mom.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member

Never knew my father, but he was a truck driver and she was a "shop girl" when they met, so I'm assuming it was because of proximity when he was picking up goods. My mother met my stepfather when she was working as a cashier at a hotel and he was a bartender there.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure my folks first met at church. Dad was nineteen and had moved to our town with his older sister. Mom had been at this church all her life, when dad and sister arrived and became members. He told a mutual friend he was thinking of asking mom out, and later, with prodding, finally did. She said she already had a date, and he said "break it." She did. After rwo weeks mom said she knew he was "the one" They were married for over sixty two years, he died five years ago.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:13 PM

University. Which is also, as it turns out, where my kids' parents met... Not in class, because my dad was a grad student at the time, and mum had finished her degree and was working for a researcher. They met in some sort of progressive student politics context - could have been about Vietnam (later, I was responsible for my mum missing the biggest anti-war protest march in the country. Dad didn't miss it tho'). Mum says they'd row out on Lake Burley Griffin and talk about Physics - or, more precisely, "I was willing to be talked to about Physics "
Old 09-10-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I've heard a number of different stories about the actual circumstances, but they were definitely in law school together. Celebrated their 61st anniversary this year.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:37 PM

A mutual friend where they worked.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Same college; my dad took her roommate out on a double-date.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 PM

My parents went to the same school.
They were married for just over 60 years, then both passed away within a month.

Once Dad told me "I admired your mother for ages and finally plucked up courage to ask her out."
I later mentioned this to Mum and she said "I knew he was the one for me for a long time before he said anything!"
Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 PM
born to be shunned

Pen pals while my Dad was serving in China during WW II.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

They were both from Wisconsin (mom from Port Washington, dad from Green Bay), but both of them were living in Los Angeles - my mother was a stewardess for United Airlines, my father was in industrial sales.

They met at a party, introduced to each other by someone who realized that they were both from Wisconsin, and might thus have something in common.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 PM

Summer stock theater production of Dracula. My dad played Renfield, my mom played Meena. Meena was to die off-stage and needed to sound like she was being choked to death, so my dad mock-choked her.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:12 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

At a bar just about 3 miles from where I now live. The place has since been converted to a house but it's still there. She was 24 and he was 21.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 PM

My mother's uncle owned a pharmacy and she often hung out there. One day my father walked in, noticed her and starting chatting her up. They were married for 35 years until his untimely death at 63. Three years later, she married his kid brother (whose wife had died about a year after my father) and stayed married for 19 years until she died at 78.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 PM

My parents met in 8th grade, in art class. At some point there was a city-wide aviation-themed art competition for young artists, and they both won first prize. The prize was a ride in a biplane (this would be in the 1920s). My mom went, and was introduced to Orville Wright. My dad's mother wouldn't let him go, because it was too dangerous.

When the Depression hit, they both left home and moved to NYC, where they may or may not have lived together for a while.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

A friend of my mom's was dating a friend of my dad's, and I guess both circles of friends just started hanging out together more. The friends of my parents who were dating eventually got married and later became my godparents.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 AM

My dad was my mom's sister's boyfriend's fraternity brother. So, either an introduction by her sister or a 1940's frat party. My mom and dad were pretty big partiers so I'm going with frat party.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:21 AM

My dad was a professor at a university. My mom was a student 14 years younger than him.

I'm not particularly impressed by that story, but it got me born, so oh well.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:48 PM

Mine met at a Valentine's Day party at the University of Wisconsin, Stevens Point, in 1975. The more interesting part, though, is that they got married only about 6 months after they met, in August 1975. And they won't actually tells us when they got engaged, which makes me suspect it was fairly soon after meeting. But they are still together over 40 years later, so it seems to have worked out for the best.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
They met at college. I don't know the details.
"Don't know" or "don't want to know"?
Old 09-11-2019, 01:40 PM

My parents met on a blind date set up by mutual friends. Both were still in high school. They married a few years later and stayed that way over 50 years, until the death of my dad.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM

National service.
Night before they got shipped out to the war in Angola, my dad and his buddies went around handing out bits of paper with their details to every pretty girl they saw.
Looking for pen pals , he admits that it was more of a "I ship out to war tomorrow, pity a poor soldier" situation.😀
My mum did not pity the poor soldier, but did collect all of his papers back from her friends the next day.
Unsurprisingly, only one girl wrote to him for those two years.
One year in, he got royally drunk and wrote a proposal letter, next morning the letter had left before he sobered up.
He had only seen pictures of her, she had seen, decided to have, and avoided him all on that same fateful night.
Fifty years next year.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 PM

My mother was a teller at a bank in downtown New Orleans and my father's office was downtown too. Just so happens he banked at that very same branch.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:15 PM

Mom was friends with Dad's younger sister in high school. Dad was constantly in the garage working on his cars (a portent of their future together), so she would see him whenever she visited her friend. I'm not sure who made the first move.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
My mother was a teller at a bank in downtown New Orleans and my father's office was downtown too. Just so happens he banked at that very same branch.
So he made the deposits, and watched the interest grow!

Stolen from, I think, Ann Landers.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

College. Dad and Future Uncle were roommates.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Both parents taught at the same junior high school.