Old 05-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Is a Member allowed to register the name of a famous person as their Member name?

In a thread I just read ( which I cannot link to because iPad, Safari, etc ), in G.Q. Regarding states and laws, someone mentioned the Doper Barack Obama.

Maybe Im crazy. But I thought we were not allowed to pose as someone else who was readily identifiable?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

It's pretty clear that the user Barack Obama is not pretending to be the real Barack Obama.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Okay thank you.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
It's pretty clear that the user Barack Obama is not pretending to be the real Barack Obama.
That's exactly what the real Barack Obama would want you to think.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
It still should not be allowed.

Last edited by Oakminster; 05-15-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Extrajudicial

From the registration agreement:
Quote:
We reserve the right to refuse postings from screen names we find objectionable.
There's no bright line rule on what kind of name would trigger this provision. In the past, I think a name something like, 'fuckthemods' was disallowed. Similarly for names that were part of some kind of spam or advertising. Based on what criteria should the name in question be disallowed?

There is no George Bush (41 or 43), but we also have Bill Clinton. Ronald regan, and Ronald Raygun. No Jimmy Carter, but there is John Carter of Mars (that's a stretch). Honorable mention to Wesley Clark.

Lots of people pick names or derivations of names of well known figures. That's not enough to disallow a name.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post

There's no bright line rule on what kind of name would trigger this provision. In the past, I think a name something like, 'fuckthemods' was disallowed. Similarly for names that were part of some kind of spam or advertising. Based on what criteria should the name in question be disallowed?

There is no George Bush (41 or 43), but we also have Bill Clinton. Ronald regan, and Ronald Raygun. No Jimmy Carter, but there is John Carter of Mars (that's a stretch). Honorable mention to Wesley Clark.

Lots of people pick names or derivations of names of well known figures. That's not enough to disallow a name.
We even had a Curtis LeMay. He's still here, but has changed a bit over the years. (including his name)
Old 05-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
That's exactly what the real Barack Obama would want you to think.

Far out, man
Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
I concur.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:52 PM

Wait. You mean the former president isn't a member here?
Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Um, why? What on earth is the big deal?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

Jim Butcher isn't famous like a president, but he is a well known author who posted under his own name here once upon a time. Seems to me that if someone is the actual "famous person" in question they would be allowed to register as themselves.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

And the name Curtis LeMay changed to is also a famous real person, Qin Shi Huang.

I think it generally becomes clear fairly quickly whether the person using a name is the actual famous person. The only problem I could foresee would be a famous person trying to register, and discovering that their name was already taken, but that's a bridge we'll burn when we get to it.

And Jim Butcher, if you're reading this, when can we expect the next Dresden Files book? I'm eager to see more of a certain character, after a certain major change in that character's life at the end of Skin Game.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 AM

If a famous person was posting here, we'd most likely never know it because it would be very hard to have normal conversations with normal people without his or her fame getting in the way.

In "Henry V" by Shakespeare, the king walks among his soldiers disguised as a common soldier himself so that he can hear what they really think and feel without his royal station impeding hearing the truth.

KING HENRY - "I think the King is but a
man, as I am. The violet smells to him as it doth to
me. The element shows to him as it doth to me. All
his senses have but human conditions. His ceremonies
laid by, in his nakedness he appears but a man,
and though his affections are higher mounted than
ours, yet when they stoop, they stoop with the like
wing. Therefore when he sees reason of fears as we
do, his fears, out of doubt, be of the same relish as
ours are. Yet, in reason, no man should possess him
with any appearance of fear, lest he, by showing it,
should dishearten his army."
Old 05-16-2019, 07:40 AM

This’d be problematic, right? Define famous. Give me an example of someone who is not famous and such a username would be allowed.

It becomes an enforcement challenge, right?

I think it doesn’t matter. Just don’t be objectionable to the mods.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Just to clear things up. While Bubbadog is not my real name I am THE famous Bubbadog.
If this causes any problem I would be happy to change it to my real name, Bryan Cranston.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Wait. You mean the former president isn't a member here?
He is, but he goes by a different name. We should have a contest to see if anyone can identify him.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM

I just want to clarify that I'm not - repeat *not* - the infamous cartoon toad.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Um, why? What on earth is the big deal?
Because someone could indeed take that post and put in on Faux news claiming it's a from the real person. And once the claim is out there, the facts dont matter.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Indeed
Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
And once the claim is out there, the facts dont matter.
If that's your starting point, then what's stopping anyone from just saying that Barack Obama posted on a message board that all Christians should be drawn and quartered? The existence of a post under that username would just be a (really shitty) supporting fact, and who cares about those, amirite?

*Not the Shout guy. The 80s one, not the Isley brothers, but I'm not them either.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:

Dunno what Jimmy Carter has to do with the (multiple) fictional characters named John Carter (the Mars guy or the ER guy).

Besides, how do you know someone using a name of a celeb isn't themselves also named that IRL? I know a few people that have the same name as famous people (or what name the famous person goes by, not always their actual name). Not likely with, say Barak Obama, but I'm sure there are many other people out there named Bill Clinton other than the former president (whose given name isn't really that either! he got the name Clinton from his step-father).

We don't want people having to post birth certificates to post under certain names, do we?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Orzabal View Post
If that's your starting point, then what's stopping anyone from just saying that Barack Obama posted on a message board that all Christians should be drawn and quartered? The existence of a post under that username would just be a (really shitty) supporting fact, and who cares about those, amirite?

Because some dont know the difference between a twitter account and a message board. Trump twits all day, and people quote his twits. It wouldn't seem strange to say "Barack Obama posted this today: 'Christians should be drawn and quartered'".

And here's the point, if it simply didnt happen, that's one thing, but if indeed our BO did say "Christians should be drawn and quartered" then you can link to that, and then that much is True.

And what benefit is there to this MB if we allow this? None.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Because some dont know the difference between a twitter account and a message board. Trump twits all day, and people quote his twits. It wouldn't seem strange to say "Barack Obama posted this today: 'Christians should be drawn and quartered'".

And here's the point, if it simply didnt happen, that's one thing, but if indeed our BO did say "Christians should be drawn and quartered" then you can link to that, and then that much is True.

And what benefit is there to this MB if we allow this? None.
It has been allowed for years-can you point to any problems that have come up so far?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
It has been allowed for years-can you point to any problems that have come up so far?

can you point to any benefits that have come up so far?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:22 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
The exact same benefits that exist because you named yourself DrDeth and I named myself Czarcasm.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
People quote The Onion in serious debates and even news articles. It's pointless to try to regulate usernames on a message board. If anyone here ever actively impersonates a famous individual then I'd worry about that specific user. But sarcastic use of a famous name is a non-issue.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I think we should err on the side of allowing things rather than not, if all else is equal.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:

I don't mind derivations, just actual names.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't mind derivations, just actual names.
Sure, derivations can even be a little funny.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
And Jim Butcher, if you're reading this, when can we expect the next Dresden Files book? I'm eager to see more of a certain character, after a certain major change in that character's life at the end of Skin Game.
I actually got a chance to ask him when Peace Talks is coming out face-to-face a couple months ago. He equivocated, I gathered he has several things in his own life he needs to get a handle on WHILE trying to finish the book AND, as he darkly muttered, "manage the brand". Also darkly muttered about the business of being a writer taking time away from actually writing.

Also found out a bit more than has been made widely public about the book but, um... spoilers.

Jim, finish the damn book already!

But, seriously - I'd rather wait a bit and have a GOOD book than have an author rush and produce crap. So I keep repeating to myself. Grrrr....
Old 05-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Isn't the stuff that takes away time from actually writing supposed to be done by an agent?
Old 05-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

I did not ask for details. I suppose it is possible one of the problems might have been an inadequate agent, or perhaps taking on too much himself. Or something else. It was not a prolonged conversation and I was not interested into prying into Mr. Butcher's issues. I will point out that an agent can not make a personal appearance for the author, and being at a SF Con was basically what Mr. Butcher was doing at the time. Perhaps he has overscheduled. I don't know. Basically, I thanked him for many entertaining hours and asked if the next book was coming out soon.

Last edited by Broomstick; 05-16-2019 at 06:30 PM.