Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Dear former co-worker and now former FB friend;

The following is not a reasonable argument;

1> I believe that abortion is a form of Child Sacrifice.
2> Jesus spoke out against Child Sacrifice.
3> Therefore, Jesus spoke out against Abortion.

No, you dimwitted disingenuous ass, no one is sacrificing their children to Moloch or any other deity when they have an abortion. Statement 1 is a preposterous statement of personal opinion, not an historic fact.

I'd have had a lot more respect for you if you'd just said that you personally believed that it was wrong. I would not have tried to argue historic facts with you.

That you kept calling my historic context 'unsupported' and twice called me 'disingenuous' while demanding that I provide all sorts of citations while you rely on such a preposterous claim without providing similar evidence made it all the worse and ended our relationship. You were not arguing in good faith.

Buh-BYE.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Where in Scripture did Jesus speak out against child sacrifice?

Last edited by Monty; 05-21-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Quite the opposite: But Jesus said, Suffer little children,
Old 05-21-2019, 01:14 PM

I can't open Firefox' options; apparently it's getting hung up on something related to "location". If I tell it to stop the script it doesn't open anything, if I tell it to keep going it just freezes. Weeeeeeee!

Dammit Mozilla, are you trying to make me go back to Chrome?
Old 05-21-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
I have tried Zyrtec in the past. Unfortunately, it puts me right to sleep. I have an unusually strong drowsy reaction apparently. Benadryl and Claritan also knock me on my ass. Allegra is the only one that doesn't make me unsafe to drive.

However, it I can find a 24 hour Zyrtec, then I'll try taking it at night to see if I can save some money.
I buy generic Cetirizine Hydrochloride. Itís the same ingredients as Zyrtec. I can buy a huge bottle of it on Amazon cheap (I bought a bottle of 10mg pills for $16, they come 365 pills per bottle). Itís a 24 hour allergy medicine and itís the only antihistamine for me that both works and doesnít knock me out. (Clearly everyone has different reactions.)

Allegra and Claritin do nothing for me (good or bad), I might as well be swallowing sugar pills.

Benadryl helps with allergies but an hour after taking it Iím struggling to keep my eyes open. I use it as a sleep aid at times.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I buy generic Cetirizine Hydrochloride. Itís the same ingredients as Zyrtec...
That gets me halfway-to-normal, but drowsy, so I take with my bedtime meds.

Mini-mini-rant: Had to spend a week being jostled on sidewalks in big huge east coast cities (daughter lives in one, graduated in another). I had to walk in a big group from ceremony to party to lunch to a second ceremony to dinner to another party. Dozens of miles in crowds, which is tough for an introvert. BUT... I discovered a trick to help deal with All Those People: I stopped walking down crowded streets with my shoulders hunched, stood up straight, looked that mass of humanity in the eye and mentally said to them "I will never see you again in my life. Come to think of it, in that life I'm the lead actor, you're just Uncredited Extras. Hey, hope you have a great life... but I won't get to see it." Which was very liberating.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:25 PM

It's May. It's warm. The windows are open, because it's not hot enough for A/C yet. This is the dreaded Transition Season, the season of Open Windows.

Why is it dreaded? Because there are Things That Make Noise outside. Everywhere. There are screeching kids on the street out front. Sometimes there are kids in the back. Worse, my neighbor owns one of those fucking nervous little dogs whose specialty is yipping its little head off whenever it's outside, which mercifully is not usually for all that long. And from the sounds of it, it has a twin brother somewhere in the distance faced by the front of the house, too. Both canine brothers are apparently terrified by air molecules, and are not shy about informing the entire neighborhood whenever they detect one. I totally love dogs, but these are not dogs. They are basically a kind of nervous parmecium, but with fur.

I'm too old for this shit.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
It's May. It's warm. The windows are open, because it's not hot enough for A/C yet. This is the dreaded Transition Season, the season of Open Windows.
Move to Wisconsin. We have the storm windows on and battened down tight. It's been cold and blustery for days.

So we can't hear the Paranoid Pups yet. Oh, they're barking at anything that moves, but from behind triple-glazed Thermo-Pane™ Windows.

Thanks for helping me see one little silver lining...

Last edited by digs; 05-21-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post

Why is it dreaded? Because there are Things That Make Noise outside. Everywhere. There are screeching kids on the street out front. Sometimes there are kids in the back. Worse, my neighbor owns one of those fucking nervous little dogs whose specialty is yipping its little head off whenever it's outside, which mercifully is not usually for all that long. And from the sounds of it, it has a twin brother somewhere in the distance faced by the front of the house, too. Both canine brothers are apparently terrified by air molecules, and are not shy about informing the entire neighborhood whenever they detect one. I totally love dogs, but these are not dogs. They are basically a kind of nervous parmecium, but with fur.

I'm too old for this shit.
I've told you many times, Wolf, you need an indoor cat. That is the only reason my house isn't wide open. The pros are beginning to outweigh the cons. Doncha know?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Claritin makes me angry
And you wouldn't like Kelevra when he's angry.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
He was already in the 'I'm pulling shit out of my ass to justify my position' stage and the whole "Abortion = Child Sacrifice" was ludicrous enough. Like I said, the conversation was enough to make him a former FB friend.

Sweet hopping Jesus on a kangaroo. If you think abortion is morally wrong, just say so. Don't go inventing reasons that don't exist while telling me my cites are 'unsupported'. That makes me believe you're a fundamentally dishonest person with only a passing relationship with logic and reality.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
That makes me believe you're a fundamentally dishonest person with only a passing relationship with logic and reality.

Well, don't you know that's why they're called Fundamentalists?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Well, don't you know that's why they're called Fundamentalists?
You just made me snort.

To continue complaining about allergies - I am now congested in my chest and throat and sinuses. I am considering surgical removal of my nose. Everything is itchy. Can this season be over now?

Minirant about kindergarten - The school my daughter will probably be going to is a bit intense. They have a school anthem. They had the 5th graders sing it for the parents at their "kindergarten orientation." I'm nervous. I don't have the energy to be this jazzed about elementary school. On top of that, they had my husband fill out the same paperwork I gave them three months ago when we registered our daughter for class. Maybe if they spent less time writing original songs to use as anthems, they would be able to keep track of the paperwork.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
I buy generic Cetirizine Hydrochloride. Itís the same ingredients as Zyrtec. I can buy a huge bottle of it on Amazon cheap (I bought a bottle of 10mg pills for $16, they come 365 pills per bottle). Itís a 24 hour allergy medicine and itís the only antihistamine for me that both works and doesnít knock me out. (Clearly everyone has different reactions.)
I've been taking it too. Works like a charm.

Well, that is, until today. Runny nose, sneezing, itching watery eyes. Not as bad as before I started taking it, but still....
Old 05-22-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
You just made me snort.

To continue complaining about allergies - I am now congested in my chest and throat and sinuses. I am considering surgical removal of my nose. Everything is itchy. Can this season be over now?

Minirant about kindergarten - The school my daughter will probably be going to is a bit intense. They have a school anthem. They had the 5th graders sing it for the parents at their "kindergarten orientation." I'm nervous. I don't have the energy to be this jazzed about elementary school. On top of that, they had my husband fill out the same paperwork I gave them three months ago when we registered our daughter for class. Maybe if they spent less time writing original songs to use as anthems, they would be able to keep track of the paperwork.
The elementary school my sons went to had an anthem one year. They had a new music teacher who had just graduated from college and she was young and full of enthusiasm. From what I hear she's still a wonderful teacher, but now she's married with a baby and she's dialed the enthusiasm from 11 down to 8 or 9. But the paperwork, yeah, we used to fill it out in the Spring to reserve our sons' spots in school and then fill most of it out again in August just before school started - just in case anything had changed. The staff was just as annoyed as the parents because they had to keep dealing with all the paperwork. My sons are in high school now and the district finally switched to online enrollment last year. An entire forest in Oregon breathed a sigh of relief.
Old 05-22-2019, 12:49 PM

We had a storm with 60 mph winds last Thursday, and it snapped a major branch on the large silver maple in front of our house.

We'd been struggling to save the tree since it got hit by lightning last August, but the arborist we've been consulting says this additional damage is just too much, and it must come down.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
<snip>

Have you actually gone to a flophouse and inquired whether they participated in league sports as children? No? Hi thee and thy prepubescent progeny to the soccer pitch post haste woman! Before it's too late!
I just saw this and it made my otherwise shitty afternoon a bit brighter.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Here's a novel idea: if your vehicle is not capable of achieving a speed at least 5 MPH below the posted limit, PULL THE FUCK OVER when safe to do so and let the more capable vehicles pass.
Old Yesterday, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
We've had several workers come by the house the last couple of weeks and their GPS invariably tells them to go down the street instead of stopping at our house. They have to call to let me know they're lost. Well, no, you're not. You're on the right street, just look at the house numbers and backtrack.
Ah!

There is an abandoned house up the road, speculators bought it to add on and flip, the neighbors went NIMBY and the speculators pulled out. So it sits and the squatters found their way in. It's not terribly close to us, and really wouldn't be a problem except....... it's the same house # and the same street name as us, almost, we being Street and this being place.

So we've had 2 visits from pissed off cops, one at 5am with loud banging on the door and laying on the doorbell and suspicious questions. The city inspector came by when we weren't home and was wandering around looking in windows until a neighbor talked to him-inspector said he'd had a report the house was abandoned and unsecured.

So now there's a sign at both doors telling people this is not the house you want. Confused the mailman some.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM

Windows Auto Updates

What fun -- I get the chance to completely re-do a powerpoint from scratch. (Yeah I have looked in the autosave folders. Nothing.)
Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
it's the same house # and the same street name as us, almost, we being Street and this being place.
Where I live they've recently addressed issues like this due to 911 concerns.
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Dear Apparently Everyone in the Entire Universe:

Watching videos on your phone in a public place, sound on low, is NOT the same as being courteous to others. I mean, I appreciate that low volume can only be heard clearly 5Ė8 feet from you, but still. Try sound off, or headphones, or something.

Also: why do people in public places (I see it most on buses and trains) have phone conversations on speakerphone? Isn't it worse for EVERYONE (you, your interlocutor, and the trapped audience to your unfailingly anodyne life)? Yesterday on the train a woman held her phone out flat, so I could see that there was nothing to see on the screen, and shouted into the little microphone. It did distract from the elderly woman who, one foot on the disabled seat, was trying to see which sunflower seed could make the most noise as she ploughed through an entire bag for thirty-two minutes.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
I was having constant runny nose and itchy, watery eyes. Then I started taking a generic equivalent of Zyrtec, one tablet every morning. Works like a charm, and not expensive.
A few years ago I started having allergy symptoms for the first time in my life. Finally, this spring I decided to do something about it. I tried a few different generic things but nothing seemed to help. And I had no idea allergy medication was so expensive. Then a 10 pill sample of Zyzal appeared in my mailbox. I tried that and it has been great. Well, once I figured out I needed to take it at bedtime. Unfortunately, the generic equivalent is not much cheaper. But think of the money I've saved on tissues!