Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
But just look at his achomlishments.
Bravo! Bravo!
Old Yesterday, 03:58 PM

Quote:
But just look at his achomlishments.
LOL, I take it he had another one of his "oranges" moments? I didn't watch the presser.
Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Trump calls Tillerson 'dumb as a rock' and 'lazy as hell'

Trump nominates Exxon's Rex Tillerson as US Secretary of State
Quote:
Trump praised Tillerson's "deep understanding of geopolitics" but critics have decried his ties with Russia.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspenglow View Post
LOL, I take it he had another one of his "oranges" moments? I didn't watch the presser.
Better than that - it's how he spelled it on his handwritten cheat sheet.
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
That is better!!

But he's calling Rex Tillerson dumb as a rock. Trump's capacity for projection is bottomless.
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
"Interesting: @KatieHill4CA, who's in a frontline swing district just told me calls to her office have flipped from being 2 to 1 *against* impeachment to being 3 or 4 to 1 *for*."

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/stat...437448704?s=19

Katie Hill is the Rep for CA25.
Quote:
In reddest Orange County.
We went all blue in 2018 (in the HoR. They still have a few seats in the Assembly).
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Asahi is saying it, literally upthread. He's not the only one.

I get that harping on this definition is a bit pedantic - you are quite right about that, ThelmaLou, but the beginnings of knowledge is the definition of terms... and so far, as his "base", the following definitions have been used:

1. All who voted for him.
2. Those who currently support him.
3. Those who will never leave him.

If ones definition is #3, then discussions as to when his base is going to break away can be answered in one post: Never. It's literally the definition of his "base".

If ones definition is #2, then discussions as to when his base, as set today, is going to break away becomes far more nuanced - "What, after all this shit, will it take to convince even more people to break away." That's an interesting question, and the usual answer is economic calamities, followed by the death by a thousand cuts theory.

If ones definition is #1, well, hope this helps: https://morningconsult.com/tracking-trump/

I subscribe to definition 3, that his base are those people who will never leave him. Even Hitler had supporters on May 3rd, 1945, millions of them.

And since we already know the "base" is going to vote for Dotard, why the hell do we care what they'll do if he is impeached or not?

Regardless, let me make my point clear: Ignore the goddamned "base" and do what is right: To be honorable, one does not need the consent of those with no honor.
Why not re-read what I wrote you fucking moron? Where did I mention that this is all about Trump's base. FFS, Trump's base is about 25-30% of the electorate, which is probably what I've been saying all along. I am saying that in addition to Trump's base there are voters who lean Trump. In case you didn't quite get it in 2016 and even now, there are people who are not predisposed to vote Democratic. They need some coaxing. How else do you explain the fact that in the year after Obama and the Democrats actually voted to expand healthcare coverage, the country voted to remove Democrats from power? What I am trying to explain to your thick-skulled ass is that the majority of this country, whether you like it or not, is conservative - mainly because the majority of this country is white. I tried to explain this to you back in 2016 but you told me to "Dial it back" as I recall. Well, look what happened.

Also, you said some crap about how "Oh Donald Trump doesn't want to be impeached! It's nonsense to think that he wants to be impeached because, like, press conference."

Yeah well read this:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/con...ached-n1009236

Quote:
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., told her Democratic colleagues Thursday that President Donald Trump “wants to be impeached” so that he can be vindicated by the Senate.
Now who are we going to believe: Nancy Pelosi, 2-time House Speaker, and someone who has decades of experience in power and has been one of the few people who can lay claim to absolutely owning Donald Trump...or John T. LOL!

I think we know the answer.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Antibob View Post
The one he wrote for his impromptu press conference.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

"WhErE dId I sAy It WaS aBoUt ThE bAsE?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I don't see moral cowardice. It's not like the House isn't trying to do its proper oversight; it's just that he's basically saying "Fuck you! Come and get me." There's no question there's a case for impeachment - there was the first week he was in office. It's a much stronger statement for a democracy if people auditioning to be tyrants can be thrown out of power by 65 million people saying "No, fuck YOU!" rather than a few hundred representatives whose sentiments may or may not be in alignment.

People want to view this as a moral struggle, and I agree that it is. But who put Trump in power in the first place? Was it Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan, or was it millions of deplorables. Sorry, bud, but it's the deplorables we have to defeat as much as, maybe more than, Trump himself. Maybe not defeat so much as convince that they made the wrong choice in the last election.

Last edited by JohnT; Yesterday at 05:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM

I said earlier in the thread that one day Trump was going to have a complete meltdown in public. Today was pretty bizarre but it's only going to get crazier and more pathetic. He'll be shouting insults soon instead of just tweeting them.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

(I can do that all night, Asahi)
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quote:
"WhErE dId I sAy It WaS aBoUt ThE bAsE?"
Yes, and what about what I wrote was wrong? Is it Trump or Trump's voters who are the problem in this country?

I'll try again: some people - an Arkansas couple, to be exact - tried to reform healthcare and tried to restrict psychos' access to guns in the 1990s, and we got rewarded with a Republican nutjob congress.

We got jobbed by an interventionist SCOTUS justice who overturned an election in Florida and got George W Bush.

We got blatantly lied to about bullshit WMDs and bullshit Al Qaida connections (FFS the Bush and Cheney families had closer ties with Al Qaida than Saddam Hussein) and we got an invasion of Iraq - and the fuckers still got re-elected.

We got a massive recession, the worst economic crisis in 80 years, and 2 fucking years later we replaced the party actually trying to do something about the corruption and greed, and actually trying to reform healthcare.

And then there's 2016.

Mate, it's not Trump. It's the American imbecile that needs fixing. The white, insecure, male American imbecile. Trump is the symptom. Not the disease. The sooner that you and your kind can fucking rub some brain cells together and figure it all out, the better. In the meantime, I will take a pragmatist who lives in and deals with political reality instead of a bunch of upstarts who live in a parallel universe and pretend that their passions about creating a progressive universe will be so infectious that it rubs off on everyone else. Accept it: most of the country right now is completely, totally fine with Donald John Trump as their president, even though you and everyone you know and everyone else who posts here hates his ass (not saying it's not with good reason, mind you).
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Why doesn't he just spread around all of the Trump Tariff Money that we've been raking in?
He claims he is.

Quote:
While Trump has repeatedly suggested that China will be paying for the aid in the form of tariff revenue, the CCC's fund does not receive any direct payments from tariffs.
Of course, he's still pretending that China pays the tariffs, not us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
I said earlier in the thread that one day Trump was going to have a complete meltdown in public. Today was pretty bizarre but it's only going to get crazier and more pathetic. He'll be shouting insults soon instead of just tweeting them.
It won't be just Trump having meltdowns. He has supporters.

Quote:
This latest press conference is insane. I think Trump has called on no fewer than 6 people to testify how calm he was yesterday, including Larry Kudlow and Sarah Fuckabee Slanders, and it's still going on.
That was pretty funny and crazy in equal measure! It kind of had the feel of an SNL cold open. Can be watched here.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

Quote:
This latest press conference is insane. I think Trump has called on no fewer than 6 people to testify how calm he was yesterday, including Larry Kudlow and Sarah Fuckabee Slanders, and it's still going on.
And it's all in an attack on a straw man. I don't think I've heard anyone describe his behavior in the 3-minute infrastructure meeting as the tantrum -- it's the Rose Garden appearance afterwards that was appalling, and it was right there on camera for all to see.
Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM

David Jolly put it very succinctly (paraphrasing): Trump wants the political fight. He's terrified of the legal fight. That's why Pelosi is trying to keep things in the legal realm for as long as she can.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM

Quote:
It won't be just Trump having meltdowns. He has supporters.
So fucking what? What are they going to do? March across my yard carrying backyard tiki torches? Fuck those idiots. They might find out the hard way different places you can fit a tiki torch without extinguishing it.
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mabes View Post
Or worse.

Think of who's there in the Oval Office to stop him from calling for the nuclear football: toady Mick Mulvaney, lunatic toady Stephen Miller, and Trump's idiot children.

I have to hope the FBI has the OO bugged, and will call for help if Trump decides to destroy the world.
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Quote:
So fucking what? What are they going to do? March across my yard carrying backyard tiki torches? Fuck those idiots. They might find out the hard way different places you can fit a tiki torch without extinguishing it.
That was a spectacular visual. Thank you!
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

Quote:
So fucking what? How about his kind have been more successful at winning elections over the past 20 years than your kind. Got it? Good.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

Quote:
David Jolly put it very succinctly (paraphrasing): Trump wants the political fight. He's terrified of the legal fight. That's why Pelosi is trying to keep things in the legal realm for as long as she can.
Exactly.

Trump wants impeachment because it's his best bet to save himself from legal jeopardy. He wants to stay in the realm of the political, but beyond that, he wants to use democracy to destroy democracy. I don't know how much clearer this can be.
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Quote:
So fucking what? How about his kind have been more successful at winning elections over the past 20 years than your kind. Got it? Good.
Oh yeah, they kicked Obama's ass real good, didn't they?
Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

#Cowardice2020
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

Quote:
And why, unlike DJT, she's a grown-up possessing self-control, and won't take bait that is shamelessly thrown at her. I'm lookin' at you, Kellyanne, you rank (in every sense) amateur.
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, they kicked Obama's ass real good, didn't they?
Right, he got elected, got a stimulus and watered-down healthcare reform, and lost more and more control of congress. We got obstructionism, McConnell, a SCOTUS minority, and worst of all, Trump and a GOP congress. In spite of the fact that the GOP lied its ass off to get wars we couldn't afford, tax cuts to make sure that the people who wanted the wars don't pay for them and those who fight them do, tax cuts and bailouts to make sure that those who ruined our economy don't pay for it but those who lost their jobs do. Bruh, that was a weak, limp-dick, unreal comeback and you know it. What I'm telling you is that it's the idiots who've been voting for stupid shit who need their noses rubbed in it. An impeachment before the right time will just convince these idiots - and they are idiots - that they've been cheated by the libs. You need to let the mother fuckers swallow their own goddamn medicine.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

Quote:
#Cowardice2020
You and Sad Lender are just mad at me because you know I'm right. And you don't have the humility to admit it.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

Quote:
It's actually been 50 years since Dems were elected back to back so I'd say that this country prefers republicans for the last half century. 20 years is a weirdly short window.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 PM

I, for one, was totally reassured about Trump’s sanity once he forced a parade of aides to talk about how sane he is.
Old Yesterday, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oredigger77 View Post
It's actually been 50 years since Dems were elected back to back so I'd say that this country prefers republicans for the last half century. 20 years is a weirdly short window.
Ah, but have the results of those elections been reflective of what the country wants/wanted? Gerrymandering, obstacles to voter registration AND voting, cutting back on the number of polling places in minority-heavy counties, absentee ballots thrown away and not counted-- and with all of these obstacles, Hillary won the popular vote in the last election. Even Mitch McConnell admitted that when voting is unobstructed and lots of people vote, it's bad for Republicans.

Cite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The prospect of easier and fairer voting terrifies Republicans My bold.
Quote:
Today the House of Representatives passed H.R. 1, the Democrats’ political reform bill, and though Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) will never allow it to be considered in the Senate, it’s still an important statement of what Democrats believe in and what they intend to do if and when they gain control of Congress and the White House, say after next year’s elections.

The bill contains a lot of different provisions, but I want to zero in on one set: those concerning voting.

Again and again, McConnell has asserted that this bill is nothing more than an attempt to alter the system so more Democrats can get elected. As he wrote in The Post, “Their proposal is simply a naked attempt to change the rules of American politics to benefit one party. It should be called the Democrat Politician Protection Act.”

I’m not sure if McConnell understands what a startling admission that is on his part.

Because what McConnell is saying is that if our voting system were more efficient, more open and more fair, then the inevitable result would be fewer Republicans winning elections. In other words, Republican success depends on the system working in ways that restrict access to the ballot.
Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM

Individual 1 retweeted a faked video of Nancy Pelosi allegedly stammering through a press conference. Mindy Fisher posted it on Facebook as an example of how horrible Individual 1 is, and Facebook took it down. But it's still there on Individual 1's Twitter page.
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Ah, but have the results of those elections been reflective of what the country wants/wanted? Gerrymandering, obstacles to voter registration AND voting, cutting back on the number of polling places in minority-heavy counties, absentee ballots thrown away and not counted-- and with all of these obstacles, Hillary won the popular vote in the last election. Even Mitch McConnell admitted that when voting is unobstructed and lots of people vote, it's bad for Republicans.

Cite:
He totally understands the admission -- he and other republicans defend by saying that unqualified and undeserving people shouldn't vote. The question to ask is, who is "unqualified" and "undeserving"?

Well, in their minds, minorities, women, working class people. This isn't even a secret. Republicans are aristocrats, oligarchs, plutocrats, kleptocrats, religious ideologues.

Last edited by asahi; Yesterday at 09:40 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Individual 1 retweeted a faked video of Nancy Pelosi allegedly stammering through a press conference. Mindy Fisher posted it on Facebook as an example of how horrible Individual 1 is, and Facebook took it down. But it's still there on Individual 1's Twitter page.
It would be pretty easy to do the same in return. Not worried.
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I, for one, was totally reassured about Trump’s sanity once he forced a parade of aides to talk about how sane he is.
Vlad, Vlad! Nancy is being mean to me! What should I do?

Trump is going to be used as a textbook example in many disciplines: history, political science, finance, criminal justice, and clinical psychology.
Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/t...-circumstances

Quote:
“I’ve said from the beginning that you probably can’t go down two tracks: You can go down the investigation track [or] you can go down the investment track, or the track of let’s get things done for the American people,” Trump said Wednesday
So Trump himself makes it official, he is declaring that he can't chew gum and walk at the same time, Bill Clinton and many other presidents in the past still managed to govern while being investigated.

A one track mind and incompetent too.

Also, that he is telling everyone that the kitchen is too hot for him.

Last edited by GIGObuster; Yesterday at 09:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/t...-circumstances

So Trump himself makes it official, he is declaring that he can't chew gum and walk at the same time, Bill Clinton and many other presidents in the past still managed to govern while being investigated.

A one track mind and incompetent too.

Also, that he is telling everyone that the kitchen is too hot for him.
Trump also just ordered the intelligence community to cooperate with Barr's "investigate the investigators" investigation. So that investigation can be ramped up and Trump'll almost certainly be directly be involved with that in the future. In fact, I'm sure Trump will be much more consumed with this than he is in doing his actual job.

One of the TV talking heads speculated that since Barr has been at this for a while, the intelligence community must have been saying "No" to whatever Barr wants and so Barr went running to Trump to tell them to give him what he wants.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Think of who's there in the Oval Office to stop him from calling for the nuclear football: toady Mick Mulvaney, lunatic toady Stephen Miller, and Trump's idiot children.
It's totally undemocratic, but I'm praying the powers that be in the military will choose to mishear or creatively 'interpret' any orders to launch nukes.