I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

[valley girl] You are sooooooooo immature!!! [/vg]
Old 02-01-2020, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
doggio - it is - are you??

I posted a pic of the stove on FB - in less than an hour, it heated the shop to 70°.
The Dope is on. I am slightly off.

Apparently the index cutoff was somewhere around "M". So no sari or swampy , but flytrap is part of the Chosen.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! I took care of chores plus helped with a couple others whilst over to the church house cause I'm nice dammit! Also made a mandarin orange sheet cake and put together a cabbage casserole for tomorrow's feast and looooooooooong annual meetin'. The casserole will get baked tomorrow mornin' whilst we purtify. The cake got baked today cause that's a good idea to go ahead and bake a cake once the batter is made up. That is a handy cookin' hint you all may use in the future.

MOOOOOOM cook the brisket long and slow (250 degrees Amurrkin) and add some N.O.T. and carrots. A few cloves of garlic, some onion, and some salt and pepper, if desired, is also good. The brisket shall be fall apart tender. How long depends on the size of the brisket. Also, yay on the pellet stove.

Doggio yay for everything bein' fixed for now.

Bumba eat all the melted cheese!

Sari glad SahSon's test went well.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Good afternoon all. Indoor soccer has been coached, final flooring bill has been paid, and nappage has been accomplished. Will think about dinner here in a bit. Got the youth brigade (next door kids and their relatives) scheduled for 2pm tomorrow to put the bookcases back in place. Then just need a few odds and ends to complete things.

Butters, nice looking car. I tend to go about 7 years between new cars, since 2000 I've saved enough to pay cash and then saved myself for the next one, which isn't due until 2024 or so.

Bumba, Yamhill County is a great name, and the meltdown sounds like an event I would enjoy. Hope it goes well.

FCM, sounds like FCD won't have to worry about the chills anymore. Seems he might be closer to a sauna...and if he wins the bid, you can put HVAC in the place...wish him luck.

Sari, glad Sah-son went to the park and did the tests himself. Having a 'crew' like you do there probably made it a lot smoother than trying it on strangers.

DC, swampy, I refuse on principle to mow my grass before March--and it's been just cold enough that I should be able to get away with it.

Butters, good luck to you and the toddler. And red, hope the EOM is done sucking.

Now need to forage for sustenance. All y'all take care.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:25 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

MetalMouse - we do have HVAC in the shop, and the a/c works great. But being a metal building, it got really cold, especially without insulation in the attic. But now it's all insulated, and the pellet stove warms it up much faster and better than the installed units - electric heat isn't the most efficient or economical.

We're all just back from DQ, because. I'm about to assume the knit position. FCD is checking the shop, then he'll mosey back in and chill. It was a productive, if tiring, day.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

One of my Twitter posts just went viral overnight while I slept. It has over 3000 likes and nearly 500 RTs as I write this, still going up. Whenever I've seen other viral tweets, I've wondered what I would do if it happened for me so that I could maybe get some work out of it or something.

I have no idea how to achieve such a thing, so I may have missed an opportunity.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Swampy, I made a mandarin orange cake once. That is, it was a yellow cake that had mandarin oranges in the batter. During baking, the oranges disappeared (as they were supposed to), but the cake didn't taste very orange-y. I'm sure your version is a lot better. I'm old enough to remember when there was orange cake mix, which you used to make (I'm so ooooools!) Harvey Wallbanger cake.

I got a good workout in today and am now washing sheets, etc. Nothing beats getting into a bed made up with freshly-washed linens. I shall luxuriate tonight.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

I've got another big pot of veggie soup beginning to simmer. It's going to be in competition for a "Souper Bowl Sunday" event at a local bar.

I like Louie's. It's a bar on one side and a laundromat on the other. In the latter the machines always work and the place is kept bright and clean. And while you wait for your clothes to finish you can have a beer!

I'm curious as to how crowded it will be tomorrow. We are not all that far from Kansas City, and if there are any San Francisco fans around, they are keeping a very low profile.

Last edited by Baker; 02-01-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:54 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
[valley girl] You are sooooooooo immature!!! [/vg]

I didn't have a lot of choice about growing old; I have refused to grow up.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:06 PM

ruble, exactly like a T-shirt I have: "Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."

FCM, I see. Sounds like things are progressing.

Cupcakes, hope your soup does well and the party is fun (I won't tell whom I'm rooting for). And a bar and laundromat--interesting combination.

Batboy, congratulations! I don't twit, but it's a very imaginative sign and worth be spread around.

All y'all have a good evening now.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 02-01-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:27 PM

I agree with you on the fresh linens nellie. I'm just about to put them on my bed.

Glad everything got fixed at your place doggio.

baker, The Family Wash in Nashville had that combo. I used to do laundry there now and then and it was always fun. IME, many laundromats have a liquor store or convenience market that sells beer in the same strip mall.

Bought two books for the heathen children about civil rights era women. I also walked out with a book for me and a coloring book for my cousin Sis (yeah, my family can be a bit redneck ). Then I bought groceries and came home. Mooooooooom's talk of brisket flung a cravin' on me. I swung through the good BBQ joint and got a brisket plate with mac and cheese, turnip greens and cornbread. I was sorely tempted to get some 'nanner pudding, as they make a righteous one.

Now to make the bed, fold the towels and, later, fold clothes when they come out of the dryer.

Last edited by missred; 02-01-2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Irk has been slow and I didn't get a whole lot done today.
However, all da jungle stuff has been unpacked and put away, but there are still some boxes hanging around. The recycle bin only holds so much.
It looks a whole lot better in here though.

Friend1 is still planning on coming up tomorrow. So I will be spending the morning doing the cleaning now that all the clutter is mostly gone. I need to clean off the kitchen table, it has all the test stuff on it still. I wanted to give it all away but my son got cold and carried everything to the truck.

She said she wanted to come early and go to the park with me, until she found out how early I go. She'd have to leave Baltimore around 5:30am to be here in time. I could go later, but then it would be a different group.
We'll go to lunch or something.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:35 PM
born to be shunned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
ruble, exactly like a T-shirt I have: "Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional."
The shirt I want is "I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy it!".

Actually one of many shirts I want.

Mostly I want another "Ladies sewing circle and terrorist society" one; the original design with a lady knitting in a rocking chair with an AK across her lap.

Oh Lord --- eBay here I come.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
One of my Twitter posts just went viral overnight while I slept. It has over 3000 likes and nearly 500 RTs as I write this, still going up. Whenever I've seen other viral tweets, I've wondered what I would do if it happened for me so that I could maybe get some work out of it or something.

I have no idea how to achieve such a thing, so I may have missed an opportunity.
Cool!

I think the Board ate my last post. Or maybe a grue did.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 PM

-perks up- orange cake? mind giving the recipie for that? last time i had orange cake was from the latin american mercado years ago and it was a duncan hines mix in spanish and portugese and i had google the directions for translation and if tasted like the hostess orange cupcake
Old 02-01-2020, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Today we went to the Spark Museum of Electrical Invention. Very cool! I finally got to play with a theremin.

I was thinking we'd go to Boundary Bay Brewery & Bistro for dinner, but we didn't. Next door to the museum is a Cajun-style restaurant called Bayou On Bay. A look at their menu revealed they serve Vieux Carrés, and that sold me on the spot. Making an effort to stay low(ish)-carb, I had a rare, blackened rib-eye steak with baby broccoli and collard greens. Both the veg had caramelised onions so they were carby, but good. Mrs. L.A. had shrimp and grits. I had a taste, and boy was it good! She was impressed too. I started with fried oysters, which were very good. Mrs. L.A. had crab cakes that were rather bland. We both had two Vieux Carrés. I think I'll go to Bevmo! to get the stuff to make them at home.

Good day.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:11 AM

I'm sitting in my living room because it's quieter than my bedroom. The guys upstairs are...I don't know what they're doing. It sounds like someone is singing weird, minor key songs while vacuuming. At midnight. I'm a little creeped out.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:41 AM

You won't believe it. One of them is singing, "The Sound of Silence." Oh, the irony.

A friend sent me a link to an article in her local newspaper. [Warning: disturbing content ahead]. This guy murdered a woman and said he had sex with her corpse. The judge tossed out the sexual assault charge because, she said, a corpse isn't a person.

Now I'm really creeped out.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Good Mornin' Y'all! Up and caffeinatin'. *YAWN* 'Tis 39 Amurrkin out and clear with a predicted high of 65 and N.O.S. for the day. I saw traces of pollen yestiddy. Le Sigh. The pine trees will begin their Spring orgy soon. The big plan of the day is deheathenization followed by First Sunday Brunch and the annual meetin'. I am all prepared to give the Junior Warden report and then give up church janitor Junior Warden duties. YAY! We shall elect three new members to the Vestry today and after the meetin' the Vestry meets to elect the Senior and Junior Wardens. I shall be neither. Again, YAY! In a bit I shall take the cabbage casserole outta da fridge to sit (set?) for a bit and then bake it up. We shall take separate vehicles as OYKW has informed me he wishes not to hang around whilst the Vestry meets. He is also in charge of gettin' foodstuffs to the church and bringin' home the (hopefully) empty dishes.

Shades, here's a link to a recipe for Mandarin Orange Cake. Simple, but tasty.

Nettie I suppose one could say a corpse is not technically a person, but YIKES!

BatBoy I don't Twit (Tweet? Chirp?) either but that is a cool sign!

Now I need more caffeine and rumbly tummy demands sustenance. Then purtification for deheathenization and a looooooooooooooong annual meetin' must commence.

Happy Sunday Y'all!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:14 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

The curse of the new mattress continues, tho I don't think I can blame last night on the mattress. It was probably the 2 diet cokes I had for lunch, plus the DQ visit. Didn't drop off till after 2 and woke around 6. I's tahred!!

I need to build a meat loaf today, and I think I'll cook up the brisket. And a quick run to the grocery store for bananas and half-n-half (and maybe other stuff.) But mostly, it'll be a slothful day. Dunno if FCD will watch The Game. I'd ignore it entirely if I had my way.

Happy Sunday!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 AM

Blurf.

Sari, wish we were allowed to just send in powerpoints; I'm currently prepping for an all-day presentation we have to do to the whole skool next month. We have to do a 10 minute talk each, as well as run the event and design a booklet for it.
We do get to pick the topic though; I'm doing mine on bees. Kinda cheating, but hey...

Anyway, I need to go to the allotment and the pharmacy, probably in that order, before it gets too late.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:20 AM

Morning all. Off to Target bright and early, so I can be home when the neighborhood moving bunch shows up. 42F now but going up to 64F and N.O.S. according to the weatherfolk.

Neat museum, flyboy; I may take my vacation out west this year, if so remind me of it so I'll see if I can work it in.

nettie, hmmm, I guess they could get him on desecrating a corpse, then... And are the upstairs folks known to imbibe now and then?

ruble, you need to get an extra copy of that shirt for Becks, if you've followed her latest adventures in another thread...

All of y'all have a good Sunday now.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear View Post
Nettie I suppose one could say a corpse is not technically a person, but YIKES!
It was actually nelliebly who posted that. Having two of us with similar MMP names does give opportunity for confusion.

I'd at least expect there'd be laws about desecrating the deceased that would apply here.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Happy Ground Hog day! (According to Phil, six more weeks of "winter").

Up, caffeinating, breakfasted and chilling before doing KP. Not much shaking today. I need to go get a CO2 cartridge for the SodaStream, prep the breakfasts/lunches for the week, fix lunch and a nosh for the SB party later. I may just pick something up at Tar-jay or Staples to take to the party though. Nelson and I may go to the dog park in between.

I had packed on 12 pounds over the holidays, which meant that most of the 100% cotton jeans were not fitting well. Yesterday, they did. Yay! I don't know how much I've lost, as I don't own bathroom scales, but chances are, the next doctor visit (the only time I'm weighed), it will show as a loss.

Still on the hunt for a new table and chairs. I'm down to Wayfair or da Jungle to get one small enough. May as well, as even the brick and mortar stores that have something that small would have to order them.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

"Today’s date is a rare eight-digit palindrome (reads the same, forward and backward), 02/02/2020 — the only one of its kind this century: The previous eight-digit palindrome like this was 11/11/1111, 909 years ago. We’ll only have to wait another 101 years for 12/12/2121."

https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/...567051264?s=19

In addition, my calendar is telling me this is the 33rd day of the year and, because of the leap year, there are 333 days left.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:10 PM
born to be shunned

Have I ever mentioned I hate that groundhog?

But the little snow we got is already gone and 55 is predicted for tomorrow so after work I hope to run amok.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by missred View Post
Happy Ground Hog day! (According to Phil, six more weeks of "winter").
If he sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of Winter.

If he doesn't see his shadow, Winter will only last another month and a half.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Happy Sunday!

It's a cloudy 46 degrees outside, supposed to get up to 50.
Tomorrow is supposed to get up to 60.

My friend didn't come over today, she wasn't feeling well.
I'm disappointed, but she'll try for next week. Although she could really come any day, but she wants to get home before dark and that would have her driving through rush hour.
Honestly, I think she is a little afraid to drive up here by herself.

It's been a sleepy day for me.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:22 PM

I'm honored that people mistake me for Nettie. I can see how are names are confusing, though.

There was no substitution of charges once the sexual assault charge was dropped. I don't know why. The guy says he's going to plead insanity. Maybe the autopsy didn't show his claim of after-death activities was true. Maybe the DA is sure the culprit is going to get the death penalty. Ugh, what an unpleasant topic.

I don't know what the guys upstairs do. My guess is meth or cocaine, something that keeps them up until 3 a.m. They don't seem to get much sleep.

I'm going to walk to the grocery store. I have to go often because I can only carry so much each time and am ridiculously fussy about produce. One spot on an apple or one wilted lettuce leaf, and I'm too grossed out to eat any of it. It's stupid and wasteful.

On a happier note, it's Sunday, so my kids will both call.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Howdy Y'all! Home (actually been home for about forty minutes) from deheathenization, Sunday brunch and the marathon annual meetin' with Vestry meetin' afterwards. I am now free from all church janitor Junior Warden duties! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! OK, I will meet with my successor this week to go over some stuff, but other than that, I am free! FREE! FREE! FREE!
Old 02-02-2020, 03:10 PM
born to be shunned

The Puppy Bowl pregame has been good; the actual game and Kitten and Cat Bowls to follow. But for the next couple hours it is going to be that old tradition (I just thought of last weekend) of watching MST3Ks version of Giant Spider Invasion.

Doggio, I am sure, knows why.

PS -- I ran out and voted in the gun club elections which are always SBSunday ------- so I can feel free to bitch the rest of this year.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:37 PM

Afternoon all. My bookcases are back where they belong and my garage is now clear enough that my car can go back inside. Still have bits and pieces to get (the way the sectional is, one of those 3- or 4- bulb lamps that looks like a flower may be a good idea). Also bought a new leather chair for the computer desk, built it myself and except for getting it to tilt back as much as I want, it seems most comfortable. Will probably watch the Super Bowl (which one is it again?) and see if anyone has shown some imagination on the commercials (been disappointed the last couple of years). Picked up some bedding at Target, but they wouldn't take my Debit card--WalMart and Office Depot had no trouble, so that's a vote against Target in my book.

Almost 70F today and N.O.S.; same for tomorrow but rain Moanday night.

swampy, you just think you're free; something is going to go wrong for the new Jr. Warden and you'll be pitching in to help...

Let me know what you decide on, red, when it comes to tables; right now my kitchen area is packed with books and other stuff that I'll be spending February putting away, so it's not an immediate need.

All y'all take care.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 PM
born to be shunned

The Puppy Bowl killed the MMP? Or I'm just the only one who could get past the 502 and 504s?
Old 02-02-2020, 09:19 PM

I'm in the MMP, ruble. Got new batteries for my car key fobs, but managed to lose one set (it may still be hiding out in the car, but I doubt it). Have no idea what I've done with them, knew they were in my pocket when I left the Batteries and Bulbs store.

Got a little folding table so I can eat on the sectional without making too much of a mess (I'll make one anyway). Browsing for lamps, probably visit Home Depot sometime tomorrow. Also finished putting together a new office chair to go with my new desk. Busy watching Super Bowl Commercials (the Toyota Highlander one ain't bad).

All y'all (if all y'all are still out there...) , see you on the next MMP.

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 02-02-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

I can go in to work tomorrow knowing the kitchen manager will be in a good mood. The Chiefs are enough to give one a heart attack, falling behind and then pulling it out at the last minute. I hear that school in KC is cancelled tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:25 AM

I decided to clean out my Keurig. (Yes, I know, they're bad for the environment. I'm trying to find my favorite herbal tea in loose leaf so I can fill my own pods.) At the end of the second rinse, I noticed black specks in the water. Yuck. Turns out it's flaked, dried sludge that dried on the inside of the machine. I found a video on how to clean those parts, and now it's sparkling. I'm as happy as a housewife in a Fifties TV commercial.

Time for bed. Hopefully my neighbors won't give me another Simon and Garfunkle concert on the vacuumophone.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:41 PM

Last weekend, Mrs. Chef and I ruthlessly purged our cookbook collection, retaining only classic reference works, books we refer to regularly, and specialty books on subjects like tapas where we have gaps in our repertoire. I'd say we freed up lots of space, but since the shelves where they live were piled two deep, we really just removed one layer and freed up a LITTLE space.

So of COURSE my aunt the gourmet, who's downsizing before moving to assisted living, called me to offer me a chance to come over and look through her cookbook collection and take whatever I want. Ooooh, I should REALLY say no thanks, but who am I kidding? There are going to be some GEMS in her collection.

Last edited by Chef Troy; 02-03-2020 at 01:42 PM.