View Poll Results: Do you own/use a kitchen mortar & pestle?
Yes, I own one & yes, I use it. 75 60.98%
Yes, I own one but no, I do not use it. 21 17.07%
No, I do not own one but yes, somehow I use one. 2 1.63%
No, I do not own or use one. 21 17.07%
I'm not even sure what a mortar & pestle is. 0 0%
I just like answering polls. 4 3.25%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
If you ever get into Indian cooking, you'll buy one quick enough.
Or just cooking using spices in general. I use a blade-style coffee grinder for cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, coriander seeds, etc., because whole spices last essentially forever in my larder, and pre-ground spices lose all of their potency in fairly short order.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I think most people use the same piece of equipment they use to grind coffee beans.
People grind coffee beans ?!

(just joking - I'm of the "if you can't microwave it, just order it delivered" school of cooking. And I've cooked some truly spectacular meals just using my phone !)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
My parents always had one, growing up, and I'd love to have one. Unfortunately the grindy sound they make jangles my nerves in the worst way, so I know I'd never bring myself to use it. But in theory, I approve of 'em. Just give me time to get to the next room.
Try a wood one. You might have to put a little more elbow into it, but it won't make that grindy sound.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkster View Post
Slight hijack: I have a cat that hates taking pills, have tried putting them in pill pockets or grinding them up and putting them in liver, with minimal success. It sounds like the condensed milk method works for your cat?
He loved it. The only problem was keeping the other cat away. So I had to give her a little milk of her own, without the pills. Of course, then I had to keep them from each other's milk.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
I think most people use the same piece of equipment they use to grind coffee beans. As for me, I used to have two coffee grinders, one dedicated to coffee and one for spices, but having decided I'm not enough of a coffee connoisseur to grind fresh beans all the time, one grinder devoted to spices is fine.

At the other end of the spectrum, a friend once showed me a great life hack if you need a mortar and pestle but don't have one: a small ceramic bowl and a bottle of Tabasco sauce work just fine.
Yeah, it's a repurposed blade coffee grinder- Mr. Coffee, IIRC. I had that thing for a long time when I was single, and when I got married, we got a better burr coffee grinder as a gift, so the old blade grinder became the spice grinder.

Plus, they're only like $15 anyway... a good mortar and pestle is more expensive!