Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:06 PM

How big a star was Sharon Tate when she was killed?

What star(s) today have a comparable level of fame?

Was Tate an A-lister at the time? B-lister?
Old 08-08-2019, 10:16 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

My understanding is she was just getting to the point where she was getting leading roles (such as Valley of the Dolls), after several years of bit parts and TV roles (she had a recurring role as Mr. Drysdale's secretary on The Beverly Hillbillies). Bear in mind that she was only 26 when she was killed.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:22 PM

After appearing in Valley of the Dolls, she was called "the most beautiful woman in Hollywood," so she definitely had a bright future ahead of her. Why Manson and any of his followers escaped execution is beyond me.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:10 PM

Earlier thread.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
After appearing in Valley of the Dolls, she was called "the most beautiful woman in Hollywood," so she definitely had a bright future ahead of her. Why Manson and any of his followers escaped execution is beyond me.
Many of them were sentenced to death but the death penalty was briefly abolished and all death sentences were reduced to life in prison.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
He and several of his followers were sentenced to death, but the Supreme Court (the US, I think; it may have been the state supreme court) ruled the then-death penalty was unconstitutional, and their sentences were commuted to life in prison.

Last edited by The_Peyote_Coyote; 08-08-2019 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 PM

Sorry, see hajario ninja'd me.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 AM

Yeah, I was aware of the ban, but it still amazes me.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
He and several of his followers were sentenced to death, but the Supreme Court (the US, I think; it may have been the state supreme court) ruled the then-death penalty was unconstitutional, and their sentences were commuted to life in prison.
Well, Charlie and Susan are dead, theres no doubt the rest will die in prison.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Somehow I missed hearing that Manson is dead. Good riddance.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Peyote_Coyote View Post
It was the U.S. Supreme Court - and not only that, but under California law at the time, the sentences were reduced to life with the possibility of parole. This is why you occasionally heard about Charles Manson and Sirhan B. Sirhan getting parole hearings. (Sirhan gets his next hearing in 2021.)
Old 08-09-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuntanLotion View Post
Here's a recent update on some of the figures involved in the matter.

Leslie Van Houten has been recommended for parole several times but then overruled by two different governors. She is long overdue for release. Ditto Bruce Davis.

The politicians bowed to the worst of the crowd mentality who thinks that everyone ever involved in a murder always does life. Not remotely true. So these people are stuck with their actions of long ago and if they weren't associated with Manson would have been released years ago.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

The politicians bowed to the worst of the crowd mentality who thinks that everyone ever involved in a murder always does life. Not remotely true. So these people are stuck with their actions of long ago and if they weren't associated with Manson would have been released years ago.
My ass bleeds for them.

I'm against the death penalty, but all for murderers spending the rest of their lives in prison. These people murdered over and over again with no hesitation. Think it was just the Tate-LoBianco murders? What about Gary Hinman? Shorty Shea? Ronald Hughes? One of them tried to assassinate a president. Let 'em rot.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 08-09-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
My ass bleeds for them.

I'm against the death penalty, but all for murderers spending the rest of their lives in prison. These people murdered over and over again with no hesitation. Think it was just the Tate-LoBianco murders? What about Gary Hinman? Shorty Shea? Ronald Hughes? One of them tried to assassinate a president. Let 'em rot.
Hell, one of the defense lawyers during the trial ended up dead. These people had abandoned all respect for life by the time they were rounded up.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
...One of them tried to assassinate a president....
As a reference to Ms. Fromme, it is more accurate to say she was convicted of attempting to assassinate the president, though her actual intent seemed otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynett...President_Ford

As for Ms. Tate, I think this video related to the movie Don't Make Waves (1967) does a good job of summing up her career in Hollywood up to that point. Although this movie is almost inconceivably awful, its legacy apparently includes Ms Tate's character being the inspiration for Malibu Barbie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjipvoT1dPg
Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
After appearing in Valley of the Dolls, she was called "the most beautiful woman in Hollywood," so she definitely had a bright future ahead of her.

Actually being the most beautiful woman in Hollywood doesn't last all that long before she is replaced by someone else called that. There have been a lot of beautiful women who have made a splash in Hollywood--then quickly disappear into very minor roles.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
Hell, one of the defense lawyers during the trial ended up dead. These people had abandoned all respect for life by the time they were rounded up.
And google tells me that Ronald Hughes, who Two Many Cats mentioned, was that very lawyer.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense View Post
Actually being the most beautiful woman in Hollywood doesn't last all that long before she is replaced by someone else called that. There have been a lot of beautiful women who have made a splash in Hollywood--then quickly disappear into very minor roles.
There's no way of telling of course, but Sharon was by all accounts blissful about having a baby. She may have just given Hollywood up completely to be a Mom.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
There's no way of telling of course, but Sharon was by all accounts blissful about having a baby. She may have just given Hollywood up completely to be a Mom.
I read recently a tawdry story that said that Polanski forced her into threesomes, and he didnít want the baby. It makes me wonder if she would have stayed with him.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:47 PM

Sort of a side note: I'm not old enough to remember the Ford Administration (I was still in utero at the time of the Tate/LaBianca murders). Does anyone who is old enough to remember know why he seemed to anger women so much? He's the only US President to have women try to assassinate him, and two tried in under a month.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanette View Post
Sort of a side note: I'm not old enough to remember the Ford Administration (I was still in utero at the time of the Tate/LaBianca murders). Does anyone who is old enough to remember know why he seemed to anger women so much? He's the only US President to have women try to assassinate him, and two tried in under a month.
No, Ford was a pretty innocuous guy. It's the times that were wacky. Squeaky Fromme tried because, well, Manson Family. That's what they did.

I can't remember Sarah Jane Moore's motive. Nothing particularly feministic though.
Old 08-10-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
My ass bleeds for them.

The one that tried to assassinate the President did 34 years. Compounded no doubt due to escaping once and continuing to be in contact with Manson. If she had done a better job reforming herself she would have been let out a lot sooner.

Young people do stupid stuff. Some of them mature over time. Take Danny Trejo. Got into a lot of trouble when young. Did time. The other day he helped rescue a baby from an upside-down car.

He's not the same person he was then. Neither are Van Houten or Davis. (Yet Fromme probably hasn't changed much.) Putting people in prison and throwing away the key is why the US has a phenomenal incarceration rate.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No, Ford was a pretty innocuous guy. It's the times that were wacky. Squeaky Fromme tried because, well, Manson Family. That's what they did.

I can't remember Sarah Jane Moore's motive. Nothing particularly feministic though.
Wiki with more on Moore.

Quote:
Moore and Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme are the only two women to have attempted to assassinate an American president; both of their attempts were on Gerald Ford and both took place in California within three weeks of one another.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post

He's not the same person he was then. Neither are Van Houten or Davis. (Yet Fromme probably hasn't changed much.) Putting people in prison and throwing away the key is why the US has a phenomenal incarceration rate.
The phenomenal incarceration rate in the US is a result of harsh drug sentences, not from keeping killers off the streets.

In life, sometimes people do things that they can't come back from. Murder is one of those things. No matter how young you are, you know murder is wrong. This isn't something where you can say, "Oh well, kids will be kids."

I'm against the death penalty, but not because it's too harsh. I'm against it because there's too much chance that an innocent person will be executed. Killers should give up their lives. Therefore, prison. For life.

The prisoner can change and be a different person. But that doesn't change what they did.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 08-10-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

I'm seeing hardly any discussion of Sharon Tate's career here, nor any other artistic topic. If you want to debate penalties for murder, we have a forum for that.
Closed Thread