Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2019, 09:35 PM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,073

The Hofstadter Insufficiency


aka, the one where Howard and Raj compares Janine's failed marriage to infidelic penguins.

Is thestanding guy in back, with the spectacles, in fact Andrew Wiles, solver of Fermat's Last Theory?
__________________
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
  #2  
Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 PM
Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
aka, the one where Howard and Raj compares Janine's failed marriage to infidelic penguins.

Is thestanding guy in back, with the spectacles, in fact Andrew Wiles, solver of Fermat's Last Theory?
Andrew Wiles IMDB page only lists two roles - and both of them are "as himself" in things that are not the Big Bang Theory
  #3  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 PM
Alpha Twit's Avatar
Alpha Twit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere south of normal
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Andrew Wiles IMDB page only lists two roles - and both of them are "as himself" in things that are not the Big Bang Theory
Which isn't relevant when you're talking about extras with non-speaking parts. I have no clue if that is Andrew Wiles or not but if he appeared as an extra, the fact that IMDB doesn't list him proves nothing.

ETA - also, forum change?
__________________
Ask not the Dopers a question for you will receive three answers, all of which are true and horrifying to know.

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 08-10-2019 at 10:07 PM.
  #4  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Andy L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
Which isn't relevant when you're talking about extras with non-speaking parts. I have no clue if that is Andrew Wiles or not but if he appeared as an extra, the fact that IMDB doesn't list him proves nothing.

ETA - also, forum change?
I've seen some people listed as "uncredited" in IMDB and thought they were non-speaking extras. Sorry about the misunderstanding. But I'm not sure why Andrew Wiles would be in a random episode of BBT as a non-speaking extra. He is a famous guy (for the kind of people the characters in the BBT are supposed to be) - if the show got him as an extra, why wouldn't they make a moderately big deal about it?

Can the OP link to an image showing the guy he thinks is Wiles?
  #5  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 PM
Alpha Twit's Avatar
Alpha Twit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Somewhere south of normal
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
Can the OP link to an image showing the guy he thinks is Wiles?
I believe this is the scene in question. Advance to 0:24, I suspect the OP is asking about the tall man standing by the door and holding a beer bottle.
__________________
Ask not the Dopers a question for you will receive three answers, all of which are true and horrifying to know.
  #6  
Old 08-10-2019, 10:36 PM
Lamoral's Avatar
Lamoral is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Fenario
Posts: 2,767
Sounds like it should be on a triple bill with The Eiger Sanction and The Osterman Weekend.
  #7  
Old 08-10-2019, 11:50 PM
Bone's Avatar
Bone is offline
Extrajudicial
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 10,553

Moderating


Moved from Elections to Cafe Society.

[/moderating]
  #8  
Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 AM
Dewey Finn is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 28,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L View Post
I've seen some people listed as "uncredited" in IMDB and thought they were non-speaking extras. Sorry about the misunderstanding. But I'm not sure why Andrew Wiles would be in a random episode of BBT as a non-speaking extra. He is a famous guy (for the kind of people the characters in the BBT are supposed to be) - if the show got him as an extra, why wouldn't they make a moderately big deal about it?
On the other hand, that would be a neat Easter egg; to have someone in the background that only a true nerd would recognize.
  #9  
Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 AM
ftg's Avatar
ftg is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Not the PNW :-(
Posts: 19,843
Here's the real Andrew Wiles. Not even close. The effects of several decades difference in aging is obvious.

There's one actor I've seen in the background a couple times on TBBT that does respectable roles in movies and TV shows. But in these cases he has no lines, credits and not even an IMdB "uncredited" listing.

They way shows credit people is odd. Take "The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification". Woz is shown at a table with a woman. He speaks to her at one point ("Nerds."). Yet she is uncredited. Even IMdB didn't list her for a good while. She's Janet Hill, married to Woz since 2008. Hardly a non-person.
  #10  
Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM
Enola Straight is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Somers Point, NJ
Posts: 6,073
The one and only time i remember seeing Andrew Wiles was 20 years ago on NOVA ep "The Proof"
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/proof/wiles.html
__________________
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017