Old 08-11-2019, 06:45 PM

Guitar tabulature question

Mods, please move this as you see fit. I am using Ultimate Guitar tabs for Jeff Beck's "Too much to lose" and there is a symbol I'm not at all familiar with.

It looks like a reverse/backwards '3' immediately preceding the fret number. It's also very slightly lower than the fret number, almost like a subscript, except that the font seems to be the same size as the fret number. Something like ---------E10------8------ where the 'E' is like a reverse '3'.

Does anyone know what that is? Thank you very much.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:38 PM

It's a quarter rest sign.

link

Not sure how it works in with your song but I'd venture whatever that segment of your tab should be played with more of a staccato feel.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat View Post

link

Not sure how it works in with your song but I'd venture whatever that segment of your tab should be played with more of a staccato feel.
Ah, I wish it were so. Picture this, though the Ɛ is about a pixel lower than the 10. Is a typo possible?

-------------------
-------Ɛ10-------
-------------------
-------------------
Old 08-11-2019, 08:17 PM

Are you sure it isn't an "8"?

What do you HEAR there in the original recording? - IMO tabs should be considered a guide to help you work things out with your ears, not taken as gospel.

Last edited by zombywoof; 08-11-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomont View Post
Mods, please move this as you see fit.
Cafe Society is our usual home for questions about music theory, so let's move it to there (from GQ).
Old 08-11-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat View Post

link

I don't think you'd see a rest sign in tab -- usually tab indicates fingering, but not rhythm, at least not with that kind of precision.

Could it be a very small 8 (as in eight)? Indicating a grace note, or hammer-on, or something?

Like 810
Old 08-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomont View Post
Mods, please move this as you see fit. I am using Ultimate Guitar tabs for Jeff Beck's "Too much to lose" and there is a symbol I'm not at all familiar with.

It looks like a reverse/backwards '3' immediately preceding the fret number. It's also very slightly lower than the fret number, almost like a subscript, except that the font seems to be the same size as the fret number. Something like ---------E10------8------ where the 'E' is like a reverse '3'.

Does anyone know what that is? Thank you very much.
Can you link to the tab?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:54 AM

Looking at the 16th measure of this, it looks like a small 8 like Saintly Loser indicates. A very blurry 8, none the less, when I enlarge the screen.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 AM

I agree you have to isolate those measures and slow them down. Use a program like Transcribe! or ASD (Amazing Slow Downer).

I use the ASD App on my phone. Set it to loop and play a few seconds of the music. Slow it down to 70%.

Then you can study the Tab and see for sure what they are notating in the 16th bar.

That's a pretty difficult tab. A lot of slides and bends. I'd start with the 1st measure and verify that the tab is reasonably accurate.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-12-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 AM

I suspect the 8 10 is a slide to that note. They forgot the curve line.

Compare to measure 5.

7 9 with a curve line. A slide.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-12-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzbre5m View Post
Looking at the 16th measure of this, it looks like a small 8 like Saintly Loser indicates. A very blurry 8, none the less, when I enlarge the screen.
I would read that as a hammer on
Old 08-12-2019, 06:49 AM

Hi all, I just looked at the actual source document online and it is indeed what Saintly Loser said.

Thanks everybody!