Old 07-20-2019, 04:09 PM

I wouldn't say realize, as I wouldn't have been able to notice it until now.

In the episode of Gilligan's Island where they eat the radioactive vegetables the Professor is reading to the castaways from what is supposed to be a book on vegetables. Obviously on a 1960's TV you can barely see the book. Today of course you can. It's Army Manual TM 9-729 for light tanks. I know at the time it would have been impossible for anyone to notice, but they couldn't even be bothered to create a book cover with "Vegetables" on it?
Old 07-20-2019, 06:57 PM

I read Robert Heinlein's Juveniles for the first time decades ago, and I've re-read most of them, sometimes more than once. I've also read E.E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series ages ago, and re-read some. But for some reason it never struck me that "Sir Isaac Newton", the Venusian in Between Planets is clearly inspired by Smith's Worsel the Venatian.

Both of them are essentially classic Dragons with reptilian skin, talons, and batlike wings, but with multiple eyes on stalks coming out of their heads.

They're both extremely intelligent leader types honored by their positions, and they befriend the human heroes of their respective stories.

Worsel isn't always properly depicted -- those multiple eyestalks must have creeped some cover artists out, because they show him as a pretty standard dragon. But here he is, properly depicted:

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Lensma.../dp/0974889555

This one is almost too traditional dragon-ey
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/k/d...on-lensman.htm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E531h1jpvt...on_lensman.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-E531h1jpvt...on_lensman.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-K7pKD_bzFQ...l_kinnison.jpg

Sir Isaac Newton

https://www.amazon.com/Between-Plane.../dp/1439133212

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/e/e...PLNTSS0000.jpg

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/3/3...PLNTSR1971.jpg

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/images/f/f...PLNTSR1978.jpg

Heinlein was a huge fan of Smith -- his tribute to him appears in "Expanded Universe". Also I note that in Between Planets one character uses the greeting/blessing "Open Sky", which is basically as close as you can get to the equivalent Lensman saying of "Clear Ether" as you can get without violating the copyright*

To make it perfect, he could've had the Martian Ambassador resemble Tregonsee of Rigel, but instead he's an insectoid with vestigial wings.

*"Clear Ether" is also the more-than-daily newsletter of the Arisia science fiction convention, for reasons that will be obvious to anyone who's read the Lensman series.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

I was listening to the David Bowie song "Aladdin Sane" last week. It was the first time I noticed the title is a pun on "a lad insane".

Last edited by Little Nemo; 07-20-2019 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
It was only a little while back that I realized how little instrumentation they use. Most of the time, it's just one guitar or the drums or keyboards. Rarely more than one musical instrument.
Emphasis mine. Although they used (acoustic) pianos, obviously, many of their early album covers boasted "No synths!" to highlight the fact that most of the music came from Brian May's guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciurophobic View Post
I wouldn't say realize, as I wouldn't have been able to notice it until now.

In the episode of Gilligan's Island where they eat the radioactive vegetables the Professor is reading to the castaways from what is supposed to be a book on vegetables. Obviously on a 1960's TV you can barely see the book. Today of course you can. It's Army Manual TM 9-729 for light tanks. I know at the time it would have been impossible for anyone to notice, but they couldn't even be bothered to create a book cover with "Vegetables" on it?
I think I've mentioned this before, but a few decades ago I worked at the National Air and Space Museum and we were able to screen a few episodes of the original Star Trek series on 35mm prints lent to us by Paramount. Seeing them fill a significant portion of the IMAX screen made the presence of stunt doubles in the fight scenes painfully obvious. I haven't watched the same episodes in HD or 4K, but I imagine it's pretty obvious on a good TV these days, too.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 AM

I was showing my 12-year-old son the greatness of Airplane last night and I realized that Johnny has an earring. Earrings are a lot more common now, I think, but it does look a bit out of place in a control room with a bunch of guys in white shirts and ties.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commasense View Post
I think I've mentioned this before, but a few decades ago I worked at the National Air and Space Museum and we were able to screen a few episodes of the original Star Trek series on 35mm prints lent to us by Paramount. Seeing them fill a significant portion of the IMAX screen made the presence of stunt doubles in the fight scenes painfully obvious. I haven't watched the same episodes in HD or 4K, but I imagine it's pretty obvious on a good TV these days, too.
I stumbled across episodes of Star Trek running on BBC America the other night, and watched the last half of Space Seed, wherein Kirk engages in a hand-to-hand battle with Khan. It was discernable when the stunt doubles were used, quite apart from the fact they were doing stunts.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
I stumbled across episodes of Star Trek running on BBC America the other night, and watched the last half of Space Seed, wherein Kirk engages in a hand-to-hand battle with Khan. It was discernable when the stunt doubles were used, quite apart from the fact they were doing stunts.
I'm convinced that for some reason, they didn't care one bit about the fakiness of fight scenes. The stunt "doubles" were built differently, had fake wigs (that didn't match the hero's haircut anyhow), and punches missed by a foot or so.

The first time I noticed that was a simple "punch the bad guy, he falls down" scene in The Prisoner. Badly-coiffed stuntmen, and a punch that clearly misses by a mile, while the villain throws himself backward.

Even as a kid, I felt cheated, and rewatching it later, I thought "They clearly paid attention to the writing, the casting, and the sets... why did they just give up when it came to making that one move believable?"
Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM

Yeah, Star Trek fight scenes are always a bit hokey. You won't get any marital arts tips there - except maybe how not to do a flying side kick. Hint: don't throw both feet at the opponent and then crash to the ground on your belly or back.

I have to say, though, that bad stunt replacements is sort of a sign of the time. Women would be stunt doubled by men. Larger, big shouldered men. Wonder Woman was a ground breaker using a woman who looked like Linda Carter to do her stunts.
Also, martial arts wasn't as well spread, and fights in other shows just weren't choreographed well. It's like they didn't think audiences had an expectation of a believable fight. Give a punch or three, a couple of generic untrained kicks that look unstable, throw in some throttling, and you've got a fight. Star Trek is an egregious example.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Don't forget that in the 1960s, the best image a television broadcast could provide was 480 lines of vertical resolution at 30 fps. Not all viewers could get a strong signal from their local station, so lots of people got fuzzy pictures even worse than that. Hell, lots of people didn't even have color TV. We didn't get our first color set until the early 1970s.

Producers had no incentive to spend money to make sets, costumes, or action sequences look better than what most viewers would be able to see on their home TVs.

I agree that some of the examples here indicate a little more negligence than was warranted, but just remember than no one had 1080p, to say nothing of 4K, back in those days.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
. You won't get any marital arts tips there -
I was too young to be looking for that at the time...
Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

It's not obvious, didn't want to start a thread about this, so in Kill Bill vol 1, the Bride and Vernita Green are in the kitchen. Suddenly, a shot rings out! And the bullet hole disappears for subsequent shots!

Last edited by JohnT; 07-25-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was mentioned in another thread and it made me think of the opening.

The book was published in 1884 but it was set in the 1840's. And it was a sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, which was published in 1876.

But Huck (the novel is told in the first person) explicitly says he has read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. So he must have been "telling" the story in the late 1870's long after the events occurred.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Star Trek fight scenes are always a bit hokey. You won't get any marital arts tips there - except maybe how not to do a flying side kick. Hint: don't throw both feet at the opponent and then crash to the ground on your belly or back.

I have to say, though, that bad stunt replacements is sort of a sign of the time. Women would be stunt doubled by men. Larger, big shouldered men. Wonder Woman was a ground breaker using a woman who looked like Linda Carter to do her stunts.
Also, martial arts wasn't as well spread, and fights in other shows just weren't choreographed well. It's like they didn't think audiences had an expectation of a believable fight. Give a punch or three, a couple of generic untrained kicks that look unstable, throw in some throttling, and you've got a fight. Star Trek is an egregious example.
That reminds of story Shatner told that after he did the Original Series he was in a situation that he thought might turn into a fight and his first instinct was to do one of those flying side kicks. He then realized he had no idea how to actually fight and decided to leave.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

This thread is now more than 10 years old!
Old 07-26-2019, 01:28 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
It took 10 years for you to realize this?
Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Old 07-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
It wasn't really that obvious until recently.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacherousCretin View Post
According to the rules, he had to read the thread a million times first.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

This thread turned ten years old just two days ago.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I started a thread that lasted ten years?

Damn, I'm old.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:58 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
This thread turned ten years old just two days ago.
Thank you, Dr. Science.

Edit: Unless I'm misunderstanding your point. I think you didn't get my joke.

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 07-27-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

“Bustin’ makes me feel good!” - Ray Parker, “Ghostbusters”

Duhhhhhh.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I started a thread that lasted ten years?

Damn, I'm old.

Well, yes, this quite an obvious thing about this creative work.

Or does this comment belong in the ‘Rumor’ thread?
Old 08-01-2019, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Two from the original novel of [i]Gone With The Wind[/b]:

Rhett tells Scarlett he goes to New Orleans to visit the young boy (he calls him his "ward"). Later, Belle Watling tells Melanie she has a son who goes to school in New Orleans. Obviously, they are talking about the same person.

The book talks about Scarlett drinking alcohol during her second pregnancy, and giving birth to her daughter Ella, who cannot keep her attention on one subject for any length of time. Mitchell described a child with fetal alcohol syndrome decades before it was official recognized.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I have to say, though, that bad stunt replacements is sort of a sign of the time.
And it wasn't just stunt performers. Anything involving aircraft crashing would inevitably have one type of aircraft doing the main story and a different type shown blowing up. "Eh, it's a helicopter, close enough."
Old 08-09-2019, 03:26 AM

Last night I was watching the movie Witness, starring Harrison Ford. I've seen it a couple of times before, but it had been a long time. I noticed something which now seems really obvious, but I hadn't picked up on it before.

Here's the scene:

Early in the movie the little Amish boy witnesses a murder in the restroom at the train station and is hiding in the last toilet stall at the end of the row. The murderous cop is checking the stalls one by one. The tension is rising as he works his way down the row, and just before the cop kicks in the door to the last stall, the boy drops to the floor and slips under the dividing wall into the next stall over which had already been checked by the cop. But as the boy slides under the wall, his wide-brimmed hat falls off his head onto the floor of the stall. He reaches back under the wall, grabs the hat, and pulls it under the wall just in time before the cop bursts into the stall to find it empty.

Clearly a wink to Ford's contemporary role as Indiana Jones, and Jones' last-second grabs of his fedora.
Old 08-09-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Early in the movie the little Amish boy witnesses a murder in the restroom at the train station and is hiding in the last toilet stall at the end of the row. The murderous cop is checking the stalls one by one. The tension is rising as he works his way down the row, and just before the cop kicks in the door to the last stall, the boy drops to the floor and slips under the dividing wall into the next stall over which had already been checked by the cop. But as the boy slides under the wall, his wide-brimmed hat falls off his head onto the floor of the stall. He reaches back under the wall, grabs the hat, and pulls it under the wall just in time before the cop bursts into the stall to find it empty.

Clearly a wink to Ford's contemporary role as Indiana Jones, and Jones' last-second grabs of his fedora.
Not necessarily. There's a scene right at the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark where a wall is slowly closing and Indy has to reach under and grab his whip. Grabbing his hat, according to TVTropes, didn't happen until Temple of Doom, and (according to IMDb) Witness was already filming when TOD was released.

I do remember a friend and I joking about it at the time; jumping through a closing door in the nick of time and reaching back to grab your hat. As a trope, it may pre-date Raiders and Indy.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 AM

I was watching "The Predator" last weekend, very stupid movie but I had fun and thats all that matters. Anyway, the music playing over the end credits was a version of "Long tall Sally", a nice little nod to the scene in the original where that song was playing in the chopper at the start of the film.

Listening to the words of the song something finally clicked for me! Near the end of the original film Bill Dukes character is chasing the predator through the jungle and as he runs he keeps breathlessly mumbling, "gonna have me some fun, gonna have me some fun".

I always thought it was just some random thing, talking gibberish in his adrenaline fuelled anger, now 20 years later I realise for the first time that he is singing words from the song they were listening to at the start. Bill Duke has had "Long Tall Sally" as an earworm in his head ever since they got into the jungle!
Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I just realized that every single song of Tom Paxton's "Annie" trilogy is set in a bar. (Has Annie Been In tonight?, "Annie's Going to Sing Her Song, and "When Annie Took Me Home). That makes the basis of a good Broadway or movie musical.

It also makes me wonder if Paxton was following me around in my younger days!
Old 08-10-2019, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And it wasn't just stunt performers. Anything involving aircraft crashing would inevitably have one type of aircraft doing the main story and a different type shown blowing up. "Eh, it's a helicopter, close enough."
Can't remember which movie but it had some stock footage of an airliner about to touch down from the side, then cut to from the end of the runway as the plane's passed overhead and you get the chirps as it settles. Thing was, the former had four engines while the latter had two. In the comments track the director dryly said, "It ejected two engines to cut down the landing weight."
Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Daredevil by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev. I just realized why Richard Fisk, the Kingpin's disappointing son, looked so weird. They made him look like Fredo Corleone!
Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Can't remember which movie but it had some stock footage of an airliner about to touch down from the side, then cut to from the end of the runway as the plane's passed overhead and you get the chirps as it settles. Thing was, the former had four engines while the latter had two. In the comments track the director dryly said, "It ejected two engines to cut down the landing weight."
In the 1980s revival of Mission Impossible, the bad guys subverted the software on a US submarine, and the class of the submarine varied from shot to shot; my friends and I joked about the power of that software hack (it could change the shape of the sub!)

(It must have been this episode https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0649386/)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Airplane! is one of my favorite movies and I’ve seen it many times. Today I realized why the autopilot was named Otto.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I just realized:

All those kids conceived after their parents watched Titanic? They're old enough to drink now.

(Technically, I guess this isn't really about Titanic. But still...)

Last edited by JohnT; 08-12-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
Last night I was watching the movie Witness, starring Harrison Ford. I've seen it a couple of times before, but it had been a long time. I noticed something which now seems really obvious, but I hadn't picked up on it before.

Here's the scene:

Well, mebbe; but the boy grabbing his hat just before the cop sees it and figures out where hes gone is a pretty good way of building suspense in the scene, so maybe its there for dramatic purposes.
It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.
― Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch