Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,145

Going to see ELO in July!


I was 4 years old the last time Electric Light Orchestra toured the US in 1981.

My wife and I last Christmas decided that instead of giving each other "stuff," we'd give each other an event: a concert, a glass blowing class, a blacksmithing class, that sort of thing. So far it's just been concerts; we saw Fleetwood Mac last month which was her gift. She was looking for a blacksmithing class to take me to, but I was perusing the local concert schedule this morning and saw ELO is coming through in July. We'll buy tickets, but hopefully my friend who's father owns a luxury suite at Capital One arena will let us use it that night.

I'm very excited!
  #2  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Joey P is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 28,925
I just noticed this morning they were touring. I put a bug in my friends ear about going to see them.
I doubt I'll make it, but I'd love to see him/them. Looks like the closest they'll be is St Paul or Chicago. Either way, one of us would be making a 6 hour drive, which we've both done over the years to see concerts that are an hour+ past the other's house.
  #3  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM
EinsteinsHund's Avatar
EinsteinsHund is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NRW, Germany
Posts: 2,904
Is that a comeback/reunion tour? I wasn't aware that the band was still/again active.

ETA: just read the OP closer, and DCnDC mentioned that it's their first tour since 1981 .
__________________
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They’d probably put my head in a guillotine

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 04-08-2019 at 04:48 PM.
  #4  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:46 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,034
Apparently they're touring...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

... All over the world.
  #5  
Old 04-08-2019, 04:53 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Is that a comeback/reunion tour? I wasn't aware that the band was still/again active.

ETA: just read the OP closer, and DCnDC mentioned that it's their first tour since 1981 .
They released an album titled "Alone in the Universe" in 2015, and have been touring Europe for the last couple of years.

I figure this is likely my one and only chance to see them. While as far as I can tell Jeff Lynne has lived clean, he's 71, reportedly doesn't like to tour, and anyone can drop dead at any moment.
  #6  
Old 04-08-2019, 05:33 PM
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness's Avatar
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hollywood Riveria, CA
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsHund View Post
Is that a comeback/reunion tour? I wasn't aware that the band was still/again active.
It's ELO like Chinese Democracy-era Guns 'n' Roses was GnR. It's Jeff Lynne (who got the rights to the ELO name back from drummer Bev Bevan), keyboardist Richard Tandy and a bunch of replacements. Officially the band is "Jeff Lynne's ELO" to distinguish it from Bevan's ELO Part II/The Orchestra.

Still, it's a great show. I saw their 2016 date at the Hollywood Bowl, complete with orchestral backing from the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra. That kicked ass!
  #7  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
It's ELO like Chinese Democracy-era Guns 'n' Roses was GnR. It's Jeff Lynne (who got the rights to the ELO name back from drummer Bev Bevan), keyboardist Richard Tandy and a bunch of replacements. Officially the band is "Jeff Lynne's ELO" to distinguish it from Bevan's ELO Part II/The Orchestra.
All of the above is true. I've been a huge ELO fan since the late '70s, and have followed all of the tribulations over the past few decades.

While Richard Tandy is still officially in the band, I don't think he's performed with them since 2016 or 2017 (I'm guessing that he has some health issues). Bevan retired from ELO Part II around 1999, and sold his share of the rights to the ELO name to Lynne at around that time. Since then, the band that had been going by "ELO Part II" has gone by "The Orchestra," though they bill themselves as featuring former ELO members.

And, ELO's main bassist, Kelly Groucutt, passed away in 2009.

So, at this point, the touring band is Jeff and a collection of (very talented) session musicians. I saw them when they came through Chicago last summer, and it was an outstanding show -- it was also the first time I'd ever had a chance to see ELO live, as I was only a teenager the last time they'd toured, and the nearest tour stop was too far from Green Bay for me to be able to go.

Lynne isn't really a big fan of touring -- he's much happier in a studio, and I suspect that he's very introverted. He only started performing live again a few years ago, and I think that he's been pleasantly surprised that he, and his music, have been so well-received, and I think that it's that revived interest in the band (along with the money, no doubt) which is keeping him touring now. The few ELO recordings that have been released over the past 20 years (two original albums, and one album of re-recordings of older ELO songs) have been 95% Lynne playing and singing, with a few other musicians, like Tandy, appearing on a few tracks.

I have tickets to see them again when they come back to Chicago this summer (and, coincidentally, I also have tickets to see Peter Frampton the following night).

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-08-2019 at 06:24 PM.
  #8  
Old 04-09-2019, 02:02 AM
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness's Avatar
ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hollywood Riveria, CA
Posts: 2,097
I didn't realize Tandy wasn't touring anymore. He was present for the 2016 shows, even singing the vocoder part on "Mr. Blue Sky".
  #9  
Old 04-09-2019, 08:11 AM
BwanaBob's Avatar
BwanaBob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,159
I'll be at that same show. My first time seeing JL.
__________________
Go wherever you can be
And live for the day
It's only wear and tear
-IQ
  #10  
Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
An earlier thread for ELO fans: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=694821

I saw them on their Time tour in 1981, and it was a great show. I had tickets for the Zoom tour in 2001, but it was cancelled due to poor sales, alas. My sons and I now have tickets for their July 30 concert in Columbus, Ohio, and we're looking forward to it!
  #11  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChockFullOfHeadyGoodness View Post
I didn't realize Tandy wasn't touring anymore. He was present for the 2016 shows, even singing the vocoder part on "Mr. Blue Sky".
He didn't appear with the band when they were inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2017 (though he was an inductee; my memory is that he was supposed to be there, and had to cancel at the last minute), and he wasn't a part of the band for last summer's U.S. tour.
  #12  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
I had tickets for the Zoom tour in 2001, but it was cancelled due to poor sales, alas.
I had tickets for the Chicago date on that tour, as well. As it turned out, even if the tour hadn't been cancelled, that show would undoubtedly not have occurred, since it was scheduled for September 12th, 2001.
  #13  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:53 AM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 24,508
Alas, the closest venue is in Toronto, about 350 miles from me in Ottawa. Still, I'm thinking about it. Jeff still sounds very good!
  #14  
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Alas, the closest venue is in Toronto, about 350 miles from me in Ottawa. Still, I'm thinking about it. Jeff still sounds very good!
Go and make a weekend of it! You know you'll regret it if you don't....
  #15  
Old 04-10-2019, 05:15 PM
psiekier's Avatar
psiekier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Fort Worth, TX (US)
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Alas, the closest venue is in Toronto, about 350 miles from me in Ottawa.
With the conversion rate from the Canadian, isn't that only about 275 miles?

My son and I went to see them last year when they came to Dallas - I even made us custom T-shirts - and it was totally worth it, even if they didn't perform any songs from Time. I will never get tired of listening to their classics and, as kenobi 65 attests, the very talented band Jeff Lynne has built around him do them very well.
__________________
Pete
"Le vent se lève! ... il faut tenter de vivre!"
  #16  
Old 04-10-2019, 06:05 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by psiekier View Post
...even if they didn't perform any songs from Time.
When we saw last year's concert, we noted that they performed at least one song from every ELO album up through Discovery (as well as a song from Xanadu), but only two songs from later than that ("When I Was a Boy" and the Wilburys' "Handle With Care").
  #17  
Old 07-11-2019, 10:48 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,145
Just got back from the show. It was outstanding.

George Harrison's son opened, and he came out and sang his father's part on "Handle With Care."

ELO went through all the biggest hits. I am very impressed with their sound engineers. I've seen a lot of shows at Verizon Center/Capitol One Arena, but it's not a concert hall, it's just a big room. For music, it's fucking terrible. Everyone sounds like shit there, with, until tonight, the lone exception of The Police. Whatever their sound guys did, they need to teach it to everyone else. When they turned it up at the end of the show it went to the normal shitty sound, but for most of the rest of the show the sound was still echo-y (nothing you can really do about that) but actually listenable.

Jeff Lynne is still looking and sounding pretty good for 71. Actually, he sounded near perfect; unlike Fleetwood Mac they seemed to be playing everything in the original key; they didn't have to tune down to accommodate Lynne's age.
  #18  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:03 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 24,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Just got back from the show. It was outstanding.

George Harrison's son opened, and he came out and sang his father's part on "Handle With Care."

ELO went through all the biggest hits. I am very impressed with their sound engineers. I've seen a lot of shows at Verizon Center/Capitol One Arena, but it's not a concert hall, it's just a big room. For music, it's fucking terrible. Everyone sounds like shit there, with, until tonight, the lone exception of The Police. Whatever their sound guys did, they need to teach it to everyone else. When they turned it up at the end of the show it went to the normal shitty sound, but for most of the rest of the show the sound was still echo-y (nothing you can really do about that) but actually listenable.

Jeff Lynne is still looking and sounding pretty good for 71. Actually, he sounded near perfect; unlike Fleetwood Mac they seemed to be playing everything in the original key; they didn't have to tune down to accommodate Lynne's age.
I'm envious! Dahni Harrison and Jeff Lynn. Wow!
  #19  
Old 07-11-2019, 11:13 PM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I am very impressed with their sound engineers. I've seen a lot of shows at Verizon Center/Capitol One Arena, but it's not a concert hall, it's just a big room. For music, it's fucking terrible. Everyone sounds like shit there, with, until tonight, the lone exception of The Police. Whatever their sound guys did, they need to teach it to everyone else.
I agree; his sound team seems to be really good. When ELO came through Chicago last year, they played at the Allstate Arena (a mid-sized basketball arena just north of O'Hare), which is a 35 year old sports barn with terrible acoustics. I've seen several other shows there, and the sound was never good. But, ELO sounded really good there.

On this tour, they'll be playing at the United Center, on the near west side of the city. It, too, is a basketball arena, but a much bigger one (it's where the Bulls and Blackhawks play). It's newer, but still kind of a barn, so I hope they'll sound just as good this time out.
  #20  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Cabbage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Radford, VA
Posts: 2,401
Cool! I'm actually leaving in the next few hours to see them in Philadelphia tomorrow!
__________________
...ebius sig. This is a moebius sig. This is a mo...
(sig line courtesy of WallyM7)
  #21  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:40 AM
Ike Witt's Avatar
Ike Witt is offline
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lost in the mists of time
Posts: 14,719
Are they touring with their famous old school stage set up?
  #22  
Old 07-12-2019, 07:57 AM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,145
You mean the big UFO light rig? No. There was a pretty good light show to go with it, but no UFO. It was like this: https://i2-prod.birminghammail.co.uk...Lynnes-ELO.jpg
  #23  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:31 AM
psiekier's Avatar
psiekier is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Fort Worth, TX (US)
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
Are they touring with their famous old school stage set up?
No. When they came to America Airlines Center in Dallas last year, they had a set of tall synchronized video panels (here, showing the ELO saucer) that displayed rolling images as the band played different songs.

At various times during the show, there were lasers blasting out into the audience as well.
__________________
Pete
"Le vent se lève! ... il faut tenter de vivre!"
  #24  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM
Asympotically fat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,170
Afterwards give them marks out of ten, that will be your ELO rating.
  #25  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:39 AM
control-z is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 12,870
Congrats on getting to see ELO. I watched an interesting video about them last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrKIcBMCPQY

For example, did you know there is Morse code in "Standin' in the Rain"?
  #26  
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asympotically fat View Post
Afterwards give them marks out of ten, that will be your ELO rating.
Stat nerd humor!
  #27  
Old 08-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
An earlier thread for ELO fans: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=694821

...My sons and I now have tickets for their July 30 concert in Columbus, Ohio, and we're looking forward to it!
We saw the show, and it more than lived up to our expectations! Great music, a gorgeous light show and interesting, eye-catching videos playing on four big screens, and some very impressive laser effects, too.

Dhani Harrison and his band opened, and played four or five songs - nothing that really blew me away; their sound sort of reminded me of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Setup for ELO after that didn't take too long. Taking the stage: Lynne, a female and a male singer (the latter of whom played guitar several times, too), two cellists, one violinist, four guitarists, three people on synths/pianos, and a burly, hard-pounding drummer.

The setlist:

"Standin' in the Rain"
"Evil Woman"
"All Over the World"
"Showdown" - with a different ending than the original - not bad, just different
"Do Ya" - revealed Lynne's reduced vocal range, unfortunately - another singer carried much of the song
"When I Was a Boy"
"Livin' Thing" - the beautiful female violinist in a little black dress came out front to play her part, which she did very well indeed
"Handle With Care" - Dhani Harrison returned to the stage to sing the lead vocals from this Traveling Wilburys song; this version had a much more staccato instrumental ending than the original
"Rockaria"
"Last Train to London"
"Can't Get It Out of My Head"
"10538 Overture" - never a favorite of mine, but it was well-done
"Shine a Little Love" - with awesome green lasers sweeping the entire Nationwide Arena

Lynne then introduced one of the guitarists (I didn't catch his name) to introduce all the other musicians on the stage, which struck us as a little odd - poor memory at his age, or just not that well-informed on who he's performing with?

Next up:

"Wild West Hero" - a particularly sweet, winsome performance
"Sweet Talking Woman"
"Telephone Line"
"Don't Bring Me Down" - with an interesting piano interlude
"Turn to Stone" - blew the roof off the place!
"Mr. Blue Sky" - ditto, but they didn't pant after the line "Running down the avenue," so we did it for them....

Lynne and everyone in the band then came forward in one long line to bow to the exuberant crowd, and then turned their backs on us for a selfie.

They all left the stage, but returned after a minute or two for the encore:

"Roll Over Beethoven" - also very high-energy, including an extended guitar solo in the middle.

Lots more applause and calls for another encore, but no go. The house lights came up and that was that.

A great show. We're very glad we went.
  #28  
Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 24,508
Sounds absolutely magnificent!!
  #29  
Old 08-02-2019, 12:29 AM
Snowboarder Bo's Avatar
Snowboarder Bo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 26,852
Aye; that sounds like a fantastic show!
  #30  
Old 08-02-2019, 12:40 AM
Leaffan's Avatar
Leaffan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 24,508
From what I've recently heard, Jeff's voice sounds just great. Apart from "Do Ya" how was he otherwise?
  #31  
Old 08-02-2019, 09:39 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
I hadn't gotten a chance to return to this thread after seeing them here in Chicago last Saturday. I'd seen them last year, and I felt like the show was maybe even a bit better this time around -- Jeff's voice struck me as being a little stronger this time (though, Elendil's Heir is right, he seems to not have the high range he used to -- but then, he's also 71!) On the other hand, I think that his voice has become a little fuller in the lower part of his range as he's aged, and on some of the songs (like Telephone Line), he might sound even better now than he did in the '70s. Compared to last year, I felt like Jeff sang more, and played more, while only leaning on the other vocalists in certain sections.

He has an exceptionally solid backing band with him, and they really sounded great. As noted upthread, he must have a very good sound engineer; this was probably the best-sounding concert I've seen at the United Center, and the vocals were particularly crisp and clear.

The playlist was very similar to what they played last year. I think that the only song they played this time around which was "new" was "Last Train to London."

One thing I discovered, in doing a little digging around on the web, is that they did vary one thing on the playlist over the course of this tour -- in some shows, they performed "Xanadu" in place of "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" (which also incorporated the "Eldorado Overture" from the original album).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Lynne then introduced one of the guitarists (I didn't catch his name) to introduce all the other musicians on the stage, which struck us as a little odd - poor memory at his age, or just not that well-informed on who he's performing with?
The guitarist he introduced is named Mike Stevens (I had to look it up); he's been the musical director for ELO since Jeff re-formed a touring band a few years ago. I'd be surprised (or, at least, I hope) that it's not a case of Jeff not knowing the names, so much as he is just *so* soft-spoken, and just doesn't talk much to the crowd.
  #32  
Old 08-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
From what I've recently heard, Jeff's voice sounds just great. Apart from "Do Ya" how was he otherwise?
Pretty good - I'd agree with kenobi 65's analysis (and I'm sorry you didn't make it to Toronto after all).
  #33  
Old 08-02-2019, 11:49 AM
Personal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: The Beach
Posts: 1,368
We saw them in Detroit. The stage-floor light show was excellent, which was good for us in light of our upper deck seating.
  #34  
Old 08-02-2019, 01:33 PM
BwanaBob's Avatar
BwanaBob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I hadn't gotten a chance to return to this thread after seeing them here in Chicago last Saturday. I'd seen them last year, and I felt like the show was maybe even a bit better this time around -- Jeff's voice struck me as being a little stronger this time (though, Elendil's Heir is right, he seems to not have the high range he used to -- but then, he's also 71!) On the other hand, I think that his voice has become a little fuller in the lower part of his range as he's aged, and on some of the songs (like Telephone Line), he might sound even better now than he did in the '70s. Compared to last year, I felt like Jeff sang more, and played more, while only leaning on the other vocalists in certain sections.

He has an exceptionally solid backing band with him, and they really sounded great. As noted upthread, he must have a very good sound engineer; this was probably the best-sounding concert I've seen at the United Center, and the vocals were particularly crisp and clear.

The playlist was very similar to what they played last year. I think that the only song they played this time around which was "new" was "Last Train to London."

One thing I discovered, in doing a little digging around on the web, is that they did vary one thing on the playlist over the course of this tour -- in some shows, they performed "Xanadu" in place of "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" (which also incorporated the "Eldorado Overture" from the original album).



The guitarist he introduced is named Mike Stevens (I had to look it up); he's been the musical director for ELO since Jeff re-formed a touring band a few years ago. I'd be surprised (or, at least, I hope) that it's not a case of Jeff not knowing the names, so much as he is just *so* soft-spoken, and just doesn't talk much to the crowd.
Damn - I saw the DC show 7/11 and we got Xanadu. I would gladly have traded that for Can't get it Out of My Head.
__________________
Go wherever you can be
And live for the day
It's only wear and tear
-IQ
  #35  
Old 08-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaBob View Post
Damn - I saw the DC show 7/11 and we got Xanadu. I would gladly have traded that for Can't get it Out of My Head.
Did the same female singer who sang the lead in "Rockaria," sing that? I'm guessing ONJ didn't show up.
  #36  
Old 08-02-2019, 08:03 PM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Did the same female singer who sang the lead in "Rockaria," sing that? I'm guessing ONJ didn't show up.
Actually Jeff Lynne sang it, if memory serves. He had some help on that one, but I think it was the male backup singer.
  #37  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Sorry, not the lead, but the female opera-singer part which begins the song and appears a few times after that.
  #38  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:23 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Actually Jeff Lynne sang it, if memory serves. He had some help on that one, but I think it was the male backup singer.
Jeff had actually done an "ELO only" re-recording of "Xanadu" about 20 years ago, with him singing lead. It's on the three-CD greatest-hits set, "Flashback," which was released in 2000.

As much as I love Jeff, Olivia was one of my teenage crushes, and I still prefer the version with her on it.

Last edited by kenobi 65; 08-04-2019 at 12:24 AM.
  #39  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Here's the concert review from the Columbus, Ohio paper for the show we saw (posted here because you need a subscription to see it on the paper's website):

Concert review | Jeff Lynne’s ELO: Orchestrations of classic hits remain crisp in live performance

By Curtis Schieber
For The Columbus Dispatch
Posted Jul 31, 2019 at 5:12 AM
Updated Jul 31, 2019 at 8:05 AM

Why did Jeff Lynne’s ELO perform its many hits in Nationwide Arena on Tuesday night to sound exactly like the original recordings?

Because it could. More importantly, because the 13-piece ensemble was able to play Lynne’s finely-constructed but simply intoxicating songs almost as spontaneously as if every instrumental solo, vocal nuance, and string part was created on the spot.

Reproducing songs such as the “Eldorado Overture,” “Showdown,” and “Telephone Line” in a live setting is a daunting task. The songs contain small ensemble string parts, tight harmonies, and thickly-textured arrangements — all relatively simple to create in the controlled environment of the recording studio but far more daunting in the final mix-down during a concert.

From the opening “Standin’ In The Rain,” though, the dialogue among the 13 musicians and the balance of the sound mix was spectacular. Lynne’s songs combine classical music instrumentation with rock rhythms and lovely pop melodies in an unlikely combination that demands precision. ELO’s presentation had that in abundance on Tuesday night.

That left the songs themselves and the musicians’ nuanced performance to distinguish the experience from listening to the records at home.

Interestingly, the only weak link was Lynne’s voice, accurate and supple as ever but slightly diminished in confidence and volume. It seemed the sound engineer adjusted accordingly, mixing the leader a little low.

That’s splitting hairs, though.

Early-on, the opening chords of “Evil Woman” produced goose-bumps — the result of decades hearing the unforgettable hook of its melody and reveling in its sentiment.

The disco groove of “All Over The World” sounded not at all dated, its arrangement fresh again. “Do Ya,” a tune from Lynne’s days in rock band The Move, was among the songs pointing fingers at Lynn’s wide-ranging roots. Performed by his group last night, it was all-out rock-and-roll. The juxtaposition of primal rock and classical arrangements is one of ELO’s most lasting accomplishments. “Eldorado Overture” is one of pop music’s greatest homages to classical composition: its shifting into the mesmerizing pop tune “Can’t Get It Out Of My Head,” one of ELO’s shining moments.

The evening was so right that it suggested this might be a last offering from Lynne, who has rarely toured during recent decades. If it is, his performance will give the songs staying power for a very long time.

Dhani Harrison opened with a short set that sounded nothing like his “Fab Father.” A thick blend of keyboards and guitars, his songs had a deeply mystical quality and a prog rock sound that echoed Peter Gabriel but felt like Tool without the sinister side. The five-piece band expertly performed Harrison’s songs, which lightened in tone towards the end but never suggested his family legacy.

From here: https://www.dispatch.com/entertainme...ve-performance
  #40  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
And a more detailed review by the Pittsburgh paper of the concert there, the last on the tour: https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/musi...s/201908020080
  #41  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Quercus alba is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 556
Saw them July 25 in St. Paul.
Awesome show--so well-produced, and as someone mentioned above, engineered by the sound team to make everyone sound their best.
I'm seeing a LOT of shows this year, and this is #1 so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
We saw the show, and it more than lived up to our expectations! Great music, a gorgeous light show and interesting, eye-catching videos playing on four big screens, and some very impressive laser effects, too.

Dhani Harrison and his band opened, and played four or five songs - nothing that really blew me away; their sound sort of reminded me of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Setup for ELO after that didn't take too long. Taking the stage: Lynne, a female and a male singer (the latter of whom played guitar several times, too), two cellists, one violinist, four guitarists, three people on synths/pianos, and a burly, hard-pounding drummer.

The setlist:

"Standin' in the Rain"
"Evil Woman"
"All Over the World"
"Showdown" - with a different ending than the original - not bad, just different
"Do Ya" - revealed Lynne's reduced vocal range, unfortunately - another singer carried much of the song
"When I Was a Boy"
"Livin' Thing" - the beautiful female violinist in a little black dress came out front to play her part, which she did very well indeed
"Handle With Care" - Dhani Harrison returned to the stage to sing the lead vocals from this Traveling Wilburys song; this version had a much more staccato instrumental ending than the original
"Rockaria"
"Last Train to London"
"Can't Get It Out of My Head"
"10538 Overture" - never a favorite of mine, but it was well-done
"Shine a Little Love" - with awesome green lasers sweeping the entire Nationwide Arena

Lynne then introduced one of the guitarists (I didn't catch his name) to introduce all the other musicians on the stage, which struck us as a little odd - poor memory at his age, or just not that well-informed on who he's performing with?

Next up:

"Wild West Hero" - a particularly sweet, winsome performance
"Sweet Talking Woman"
"Telephone Line"
"Don't Bring Me Down" - with an interesting piano interlude
"Turn to Stone" - blew the roof off the place!
"Mr. Blue Sky" - ditto, but they didn't pant after the line "Running down the avenue," so we did it for them....

Lynne and everyone in the band then came forward in one long line to bow to the exuberant crowd, and then turned their backs on us for a selfie.

They all left the stage, but returned after a minute or two for the encore:

"Roll Over Beethoven" - also very high-energy, including an extended guitar solo in the middle.

Lots more applause and calls for another encore, but no go. The house lights came up and that was that.

A great show. We're very glad we went.
  #42  
Old 08-06-2019, 12:27 AM
Zelski is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 94
I had really hoped to see the Pittsburgh show last week but many things got in the way: Yellow jackets building nests in my car, me being late to the ticket game, and the ReplayFX convention.

I hope Lynne tours again, even though I doubt he will. The reviews I got were great.
  #43  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 AM
DCnDC's Avatar
DCnDC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Dueling Grounds
Posts: 12,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelski View Post
I hope Lynne tours again, even though I doubt he will. The reviews I got were great.
Not quite the same as actually seeing them, but the live album Wembley or Bust, recorded in 2017, is a decent approximation of the show I saw. The set list is very close to what I saw (plus a lot more), which is not really surprising as at this point in any band's career, their set list is basically dictated to them by the hits they had back in the day.
  #44  
Old 08-06-2019, 08:49 AM
kenobi 65's Avatar
kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 15,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelski View Post
I hope Lynne tours again, even though I doubt he will. The reviews I got were great.
I'm hopeful that he'll tour at least one more time. He's done U.S. tours (albeit not long ones, only a dozen or so dates) over the past two summers, which have been very well-reviewed, and apparently sold out or nearly so (and, in Chicago, at least, he played a bigger venue this year, compared to last year).

And, he'd done tours in Europe for two or three years before that, all after he hadn't done an ELO tour since the 1980s.

I suspect that he's making some good money with these tours, likely enjoying himself (even though I don't think he likes touring, generally), and getting very positive receptions. Assuming his health remains good, I can totally see him touring again.
  #45  
Old 08-06-2019, 01:20 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 84,488
Here's hoping! I'd go again, absolutely.
  #46  
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM
Thudlow Boink's Avatar
Thudlow Boink is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Lincoln, IL
Posts: 27,168
Another concert review, for anyone who's interested:
https://thefirenote.com/2019/08/12/j...oncert-review/
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017