Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 AM

618-625-8313

Call and you'll get Murray's voicemail. (Link for those who can't call.)

I'm sure it contains an easter egg, but I'll go ahead and bet that Murray's mom will show up in Season 4.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:32 AM

It sadly sounds like season 4 will be the last season. Though maybe Netflix with convince the Duffers to go to 5 or some inspiration will occur.

I love this show, I love the nostalgia and I love the style which has gotten lost in the intervening decades.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
The nostalgia wasn't really there for me this time. During Season 1 and 2, I kept seeing things and saying Hey--we had one just like that!, but there was little of that for Season 3. But that's fine--I'm there for the characters and the story now.
For me the nostalgia was more about all the movie nods they threw in. That russian tough guy was a perfect Terminator, the green liquid that looked like Alien blood melting through metal, etc.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Merged threads.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:29 AM

Just finished binge watching. I'm actually feeling nostalgic for the 80's, when Cold War conspiracies dominated US paranoia. Conspiracies were much cooler back then, and not stupid like they are now. Russians were working on sinister underground plots instead of presidential candidates running child sex slave pens in pizza restaurants.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
I think the “American” comment is a red herring re: Hopper. It’s Brenner in the Russian prison. Hopper, however is alive, but in the Upside Down. He squeezed through the opening just before the explosion.
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. They didn't show Brenner after the explosion IIRC. I think Hopper jumped through the opening and next season will open with him struggling in the Upside Down and maybe somehow communicating or being seen by Eleven.

Also regarding Joyce moving, I know Joyce lost both Hopper and the other guy, but her son is in a serious relationship with a girl from Hawkins and Eleven is in love with Mike from Hawkins, also Will's best friends are in Hawkins, wouldn't it be best for all their sake to stay there? I'm guessing she'll have a change of heart in S4.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post

Also regarding Joyce moving, I know Joyce lost both Hopper and the other guy, but her son is in a serious relationship with a girl from Hawkins and Eleven is in love with Mike from Hawkins, also Will's best friends are in Hawkins, wouldn't it be best for all their sake to stay there? I'm guessing she'll have a change of heart in S4.
Actually it is kind of refreshing to see people moving away from a Hellmouth like location. She lost 2 men already, sooner or later she'll lose either a child or herself has got to be what she's thinking. I mean she has come so close to losing Will, it majes sense to get out.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
Actually it is kind of refreshing to see people moving away from a Hellmouth like location. She lost 2 men already, sooner or later she'll lose either a child or herself has got to be what she's thinking. I mean she has come so close to losing Will, it majes sense to get out.
Its kinda surprising that anyone is left in that town -
Old 07-22-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Its kinda surprising that anyone is left in that town -
And they don't seem to explain in the show what all these townspeople think of this crazy stuff happening.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
And they don't seem to explain in the show what all these townspeople think of this crazy stuff happening.
I mean, what do the regular townspeople notice that's so crazy? Some missing people and a fire at a mall?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

That's a lot of missing people for such a small town, even if mostly farmers.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
That's a lot of missing people for such a small town, even if mostly farmers.
Is it a small town? I would guess 20k plus based on the mall and the fair if nothing else.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:12 AM

One single high school student going missing and not getting found (Barb) should suffice for town-wide awareness and concern.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
One single high school student going missing and not getting found (Barb) should suffice for town-wide awareness and concern.
Her disappearance was pretty effectively covered up by the lab in Season 1, who made it appear that she'd run away. In Season 2, a diluted version of her death was revealed to the public, as was the lab's cover-up, so the public was lulled into believing that there had been a problem, yes, but the danger was over.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Is it a small town? I would guess 20k plus based on the mall and the fair if nothing else.
Not sure where this is from, but it states 30,000.

https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.c...arcourt_pr.jpg
Old 07-23-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Now, now, look at our news-cycles. She wasn't a pretty blonde girl. She'll be forgotten quickly.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:13 AM

I don't mean wider media coverage; I'm thinking mainly of her fellow high school students. I went to high school in the 80s (class of 89), and if anyone in my high school disappeared and was never found, all of the rest of us students would absolutely have had that on our minds. And that concern/worry would have permeated the entire town through us regardless of how popular or not that student was.

For example, one girl in my school died of Leukemia. I never met her, or even saw her to my knowledge, but every single student in my school including me was acutely aware of her.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 07-23-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I don't mean wider media coverage; I'm thinking mainly of her fellow high school students. I went to high school in the 80s (class of 89), and if anyone in my high school disappeared and was never found, all of the rest of us students would absolutely have had that on our minds. And that concern/worry would have permeated the entire town through us regardless of how popular or not that student was.

For example, one girl in my school died of Leukemia. I never met her, or even saw her to my knowledge, but every single student in my school including me was acutely aware of her.
The story wasn't that she disappeared though, it was that she ran away. And she really didn't have any friends other than Nancy.

And even then, it's a big jump from "A kid went missing" to "There's some vast conspiracy involving our town."
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM

We finished the season last week. I didn't mind the lame science or the Russians being under the Starcourt Mall - that was goofy, but goofy in keeping with 80's movies, which were all kinds of goofy.

What bugged me - especially in the first two episodes, was the terrible dialog every time the show tried to be serious. The scenes between Hooper and Joyce were cringe-worthy.

The 80's references felt a little too on-the-nose. The silly sailor costume and the scenes in the ice cream parlor were lifted almost shot-for-shot from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The Terminator guy even looked like Arnold.

But I got over it. Once the action ramped up it got better. It was, however, a little weird to watch the kids singing neverending story while people were dying because of the delay.

Overall, by the end I liked it. But it had a lot of flaws.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Stone View Post

Overall, by the end I liked it. But it had a lot of flaws.
Pretty much sums up the 80s.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My perspective of small town may be off, living in NYC, but that would be a lot of disappearances even for NYC (though we don't have rural places adjacent which might blunt the numbers).
Old 07-23-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
My perspective of small town may be off, living in NYC, but that would be a lot of disappearances even for NYC (though we don't have rural places adjacent which might blunt the numbers).
Fair enough, to me a small town is under 10,000. But I doubt there are any real rules for this. And yes, compared to NYC, Newark looks like a small town.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
How many disappearance were there in Season 1 and 2? I'm assuming all the Hawkins lab people that were killed were not residents of Hawkins, so most people don't know about them.

They didn't say so in the end, but I'm guessing all the people absorbed by the mindflayer will be explained away dying in the mall fire.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Pretty much sums up the 80s.
Heh.

As for the size of that mall... No way would a two storey mall like that be supported in a town of 20k. 100k minimum for a mall like that, I would guess.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Heh.

As for the size of that mall... No way would a two storey mall like that be supported in a town of 20k. 100k minimum for a mall like that, I would guess.
I figured it pulled in people from surrounding towns. It didn't seem to be centrally located.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:50 PM

The actual mall is in Atlanta - and dying.

I lived in a city of about 70,000 in the 1980's, and we never had a mall anywhere near that size. We had two malls in the city - one with a Sears, and one with a Woolco. There were maybe 20 other stores in each, and two theaters in one of them. Both were single level.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Heh.

There is a mall bigger than that in Florence, Ky - current population 30k - it is a 3 story mall - of course, it is midway between lexington and cincinatti and right off of I75. It was the spot to go to in the 80s.

Last edited by simster; 07-23-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, to me a small town is under 10,000. But I doubt there are any real rules for this. And yes, compared to NYC, Newark looks like a small town.

Where I’m from, 10,000 equals a city. Anything less than that is a town.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
How many disappearance were there in Season 1 and 2? I'm assuming all the Hawkins lab people that were killed were not residents of Hawkins, so most people don't know about them.
"Joyce, this is Hawkins. Want to know the worst thing that's ever happened here in the 4 years I've been working here? It was when an owl attacked Elanor Gillespie's head because it thought that her hair was a nest."

With that in mind, Season 1, over the course of about a week(?), we have Will "dying" but not really, Benny being murdered, Barb disappearing and two other residents we never saw reported missing.

That doesn't include the 8 or so people Eleven kills or the 8 or so lab/security victims of the Demogorgon during roughly that same time period. I don't know why you would assume all the lab people don't live in or near Hawkins or at least not have their absences be noticed by residents.

So, yeah, horror flick tropes notwithstanding, it's a little crazy no regular townspeople were like, "This is the part of the movie where we should all just get out of the house."

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
They didn't say so in the end, but I'm guessing all the people absorbed by the mindflayer will be explained away dying in the mall fire.
They pretty much already explained it that way. The Cutting Edge TV promo shows a newspaper article of Hopper's death that states at least 30 other people died in the fire.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbuzz View Post
I don't know why you would assume all the lab people don't live in or near Hawkins or at least not have their absences be noticed by residents.
Mainly because we never see them outside of the lab, and Hopper, who presumably knows pretty much everyone doesn't know who anyone is.

Quote:
They pretty much already explained it that way. The Cutting Edge TV promo shows a newspaper article of Hopper's death that states at least 30 other people died in the fire.
Thanks, I missed that.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
It sadly sounds like season 4 will be the last season. Though maybe Netflix with convince the Duffers to go to 5 or some inspiration will occur.

I love this show, I love the nostalgia and I love the style which has gotten lost in the intervening decades.
I'm not too sad about this. Season 3 may be my favorite season, but too many series go on too long and play out their magic. I've found this to be especially acute with Netflix series.

I'm content to say "that was great, on to the next thing" as opposed to "that was great, gimmie more!"

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 07-24-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
The actual mall is in Atlanta - and dying.
Interesting article on that: https://www.curbed.com/2019/7/12/206...l-mall-georgia

Apparently they refurbished a section of a dying mall for the show, even fully stocked stores that weren't supposed to be on camera. Unfortunately instead of turning it into a tourist attraction they tore the sets down when too many fans started showing up.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:55 PM

I would imagine it would be difficult to get approval from all those stores to turn them into tourist attractions.

I am always amazed at the effort Hollywood goes to in building sets and such. They recreated stores from the 80's right down to the packaging of the materials on the shelves. Most of it never even made it on camera. Then they just tore it all down.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:25 PM

Only seen 3-4 eps so far, so I haven't read the entire thread to avoid spoilers.
But one thing that really bothered me was Mike/El's attitude towards Hopper in the 1st or 2d ep. I just hadn't seen anything from Mike in the prior 2 seasons that would suggest he would be that disrespectful towards an adult - especially one who seemingly was "in the thick of the battle" with them.

Sure, you can put it down to "teenagers!" - but struck me as quite off.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:45 AM

Still behind you guys - think we watched 4-6 yesterday, should finish tonite.

A couple more things I thought:
-It was really creepy to have El "spy" on the boys.
-I think they are overplaying El's ignorance/naivete somewhat. Yeah, I know she was with Hop in a cabin, but there are some things she doesn't know that I'd think she would have picked up by now.
-Mike is really unlikeable. Just really snotty and self centered. (I know - teenager!) And the actor seems about the worst of the bunch. Just kinda unpleasant to grow to dislike the central figure.
-Really grew to like Erica. At first, I thought her just annoying.

Oh well, I'll read the rest of what you guys have to say tomorrow!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:29 PM

I just finished today. From my sophisticated, discriminating adult eyes, it was ok. The 80s mall nostalgia was a constant gut punch to those pink neon days of my youth. I enjoyed that. I found a lot of it to be too contrived, a bit poorly written.

Through my kid's eyes, it was a kick ass show full of really funny, brave kids a little bit older. Looking at it as a tween would, it was nothing short of amazing with a bummer ending.

I CACKLED when Erica called conspiracy guy "Bald Eagle." I guess part of me is still a child.

But one question I asked several times as bad things happened to Billy: am I supposed to care? I mean I do a tiny bit because he was technically still a child (or barely an adult), but seriously? Fuck him.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:27 PM

Add me (and my wife) to the list of "Not as good as S1, but better than S2." Way better, I thought. The Russian threat was a genius addition that makes perfect sense for anyone who lived through that time.

Thanks for the tip on the post-credits scene. never would have thought to look for one.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:52 PM

Just now finished, I kinda slogged through this season. Worst yet, in my opinion. It always was pretty hokey, but this season was over the top for me. Way too many slow walking bad guys, for one. All that said, it's not terrible, but I think I'm ready for this series to be dead, only to be resurrected again when the kids are in their 30s.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkis is Willin' View Post
Just now finished, I kinda slogged through this season. Worst yet, in my opinion. It always was pretty hokey, but this season was over the top for me. Way too many slow walking bad guys, for one. All that said, it's not terrible, but I think I'm ready for this series to be dead, only to be resurrected again when the kids are in their 30s.
I hope you don't mind that they do a season 4 for all of us that loved every season so far. You're of course welcome to ignore its existence.

I think they'll wrap it up either next season or maybe do a 5th. But I also think they might spin some of the characters or ideas off.
I could see:
* Nancy & Jonathan doing a Kolchak the Night Stalker/X-files type show. Maybe with and hopefully with Murray.
* Show following another kid from the program like 011 & 008.
* Any of the 4 boys from the D&D group could have a life in college show and Dustin seems like the likeliest.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I hope you don't mind that they do a season 4 for all of us that loved every season so far. You're of course welcome to ignore its existence.

I think they'll wrap it up either next season or maybe do a 5th. But I also think they might spin some of the characters or ideas off.

I could see:

* Nancy & Jonathan doing a Kolchak the Night Stalker/X-files type show. Maybe with and hopefully with Murray.

* Show following another kid from the program like 011 & 008.

* Any of the 4 boys from the D&D group could have a life in college show and Dustin seems like the likeliest.

I think one of the reasons the show works is that none of the characters are really strong enough to pull off a show on their own, but as an ensemble cast of mostly unknowns (at least when they started out) they worked really well together. They have good chemistry, which is even more important than the special effects.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffster View Post
I think one of the reasons the show works is that none of the characters are really strong enough to pull off a show on their own, but as an ensemble cast of mostly unknowns (at least when they started out) they worked really well together. They have good chemistry, which is even more important than the special effects.
Totally agree with this. Dustin would be unrelentingly grating as the star of his own show. The Nancy, Jonathan and Murray show is much more appealing to me because I see another ensemble show as these three characters gather their own cast of The Usual Suspects.

I would love another season. Any further seasons would depend on if and how they can expand the narrative and still keep it fun and funky. I can't wait to see what horrors will bring our Scooby Gang back together again.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:08 PM

I hope the final season will bring the characters together sooner than usual. I get that it's heard to work with a big cast, but I would love to see the whole team working together before the last episode.