Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 PM

I work in a government building, and we have active shooter drills every so often. Everyone in my office has a rubber door stop to try to buy a few extra seconds if there is a shooter. I am the designated leader of my office of 10 people to gt them out and / 0or keep them safe in the event of a shooter.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:36 PM

I work on a Federal installation and we are preached to very often and practice active shooter drills. I know the chances are slim but the demographic I am around most days are more predisposed to have firearms. And more predisposed to having PTSD. It is always in the back of my mind on the job.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:41 PM

I guess someone needed to tell those people about math.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

There was a mass shooting three blocks from where I live. It happened ten years ago. Its effect on me was minimal because I happened to not be home at the time.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:57 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Have mass shootings ever affected how you live or think?

Yes.

I was in my classroom one day with 20 three and four year olds when parents began to stream in to take their kids home early - that's when I found out about the Sandy Hook shooting. We had active shooter drills in my school for years before 2012, but this particular shooting hit me hard. Little lives were snuffed out, for no conceivable reason.
My Para and I hugged all our children the following day, and tried to think of ways to keep everyone safe. My para tried to squeeze as many kids as she could with her in our little bathroom, and I took the rest into our walk in closet. We practiced often, in addition to multiple school-wide drills.
Things eventually settled down, but that fear has never left us.

Do you know what active shooter drills are like with little children? We huddle close to the floor, out of sight from our door's window. No sounds from anyone, dead silence. We try to make it into a jolly game for the little ones, and try not to let them feel our fear.

Would I have the courage to shield the children from a lunatic's bullets? I'd like to think so, but it scares me that I just don't know what might happen. I promise my parents every year that their children are *our* children for the time we have them.

I wish there was a way to shield them for the rest of their lives. :-(

Last edited by Wallet; 08-12-2019 at 12:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Have mass shootings ever affected how you live or think?

Zero effect.

I try (within my own human frailties) to be as reasonable and accurate as possible wrt threat worries. I'm aware, at least somewhat, of which dangers statistically threaten me. I modify these with my own experiences of the things which have hurt me in the past, and spend my energy there.

Mass shooting at the Walmart? Doesn't even enter my thoughts, even if it's on the news that day.

Here are the things I worry about:
Heart health, and following my cardiologist's directions.
Drunk drivers, and ensuring I'm off the roads during "the witching hours".
Petty and random crime - muggings, beatings.
Attacks by extremely violent criminals/home invaders.
Burglaries, B&E, and property theft.

In short, I worry about the things which have actually happened to me - not some statistically impossible events like meteorite strikes, mass shooters, or the like. There are a few others that I believe are likely due to probabilities, but I've never needed to worry about - like seat belts, airbags, fire extinguishers, smoke alarms. I've never needed any of those, but am convinced I should employ them regularly.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
Where is "here"?
Location says UK.

I'm pretty sure all non-US dwellers feel completely safe in our respective countries.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Location says UK.

I'm pretty sure all non-US dwellers feel completely safe in our respective countries.
Are you being sarcastic or serious? I can't tell.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
Are you being sarcastic or serious? I can't tell.
Serious.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyG View Post
Mass shootings have made me less likely to want to visit the United States, and more worried about going there.
I live in the US, but have vacationed outside of the US for the past 18 years after witnessing some horrible racist behavior in the US south.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I work in a store owned by Orthodox Jewish people. after the Wal*Mart incidence, I gave an impromptu talk about what to do if someone starts shooting. The main thing is to go out an emergency exit, which will sound the alarm and bring the Fire Dept here in about a minute, they being two buildings away.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:08 AM

I haven't personally known anyone who has been involved or present at an active shooter situation, but I HAVE personally known two people who were murdered (in separate incidents) on the Alaska Highway. The recent events there had a much ore chilling eggect on me than the recent mass shootings.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Serious.
So you think people everywhere in the world except the US feel safe in their countries. I certainly disagree with this.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
So you think people everywhere in the world except the US feel safe in their countries. I certainly disagree with this.
He might have meant only Dopers. But we have Dopers who live in Qatar and elsewhere in the Middle East or South/Southeast Asia, I believe. Not sure how they feel.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:03 PM

Not as it relates to my personal safety. But, as it relates to how we as a society create people who believe that reacting in this manner is a solution, it makes me wonder how we parent, how we govern, how we teach, etc. can be altered in any way.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

To answer the OP: yes, it has affected me. We now think very hard about whether to visit the US or go elsewhere for family vacations.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Didn't some Americans go to Canada recently on vacation and get killed there?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Yes. Shot to death even. One of the victims was from Australia, if that helps ease anyone's fear of traveling to Canada.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
He might have meant only Dopers. But we have Dopers who live in Qatar and elsewhere in the Middle East or South/Southeast Asia, I believe. Not sure how they feel.
Yeah, I meant just Dopers. We do have one from South Africa too. I didn't realize about Qatar.
So, I spoke too soon...

Last edited by Leaffan; 08-12-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:36 PM

zero change, I know the odds are so small as to be beneath notice.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:05 PM

Before I merely thought that we should repeal the second amendment and ban private gun ownership for rational safety reasons. Now I have concluded that people who wish to preserve private gun ownership don't mind if everyone else but themselves dies. So that's a change.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
Now I have concluded that people who wish to preserve private gun ownership don't mind if everyone else but themselves dies.
That's unfair.

They don't mind if they die too, as long as they do so with their gun in their hand.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
That's unfair.

They don't mind if they die too, as long as they do so with their gun in their hand.
No, I prefer to be fair and honest. These people really do believe that by having a gun in their hand they can protect themselves and the handful of people they truly care about. (Especially since merely owning a gun makes you both a crack shot and also bulletproof.)

They honestly consider that perceived increase in personal security to be more important than the thousands of other people that are dying because of legalized private gun ownership.

It's worth noting that this isn't particularly surprising - it's well known that people generally have a bias for only giving a shit about the people they know personally, while everyone else is just a statistic. This is of course a thing that many people grow beyond. Gun owners are a subset of those who haven't.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
It is entirely a math problem, my friend. Just as so many things are when you look at them properly.

Death by mass shooting in the US: 1196 killed (2018 data)

So the incidence there becomes: 1196 divided by 327.2 million (2018 US population, US Census)

Incidence of death by mass shooting? 0.0036553%

Or three-one thousandth of a percent.
So do you think one has to be killed to be affected?
Three people were killed at the Gilroy Garlic Festival. But I would imagine most of the tens of thousands of people who attended the festival were pretty shaken up at the very least – not to mention the hundreds who witnessed the shooting and fled in panic. The thought of “It could have been me” comes with its own kind of trauma, and the more shootings that happen, the more likely one will have occurred at a place you’ve been and are familiar with. (For me it was when somebody shot up a lecture hall at my old college.) That feeling can range from mildly disturbing to downright terrifying, and most of us aren’t so cavalier about running the numbers and bypassing our emotions.

To answer the OP's question - I currently have two jobs, and both of them are at venues where large numbers of people gather. Active shooter scenarios enter my thoughts on a daily basis; I continuously check my surroundings for escape routes and shelter sites just in case, and I scan the crowds for unusual behavior much more than I used to, just as a matter of course going about my day. So yeah, I guess you could say it’s affected my life.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:14 PM

Now that I don't work in an office building it doesn't cross my mind like it used to.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 PM

I had mandatory active shooting training a few weeks ago. The Virginia Beach shooting is still fresh on everyone's minds here.

Sometimes I catch myself imagining what I would do if an active shooting happened in the workplace. My plan is to hide in the unisex bathroom, which has a door that locks.

But I would not say mass shootings have affected me.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
An Aussie & an American, if we're thinking of the same murders; the likely murderers were found dead last week.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:03 PM

The only time I'm more mindful is when I attend protest rallies. We've endured more than one mass shooting, we're an open carry state and sadly, we have an active population of rabid librul haters.

Won't stop me going, but I keep a sharp eye.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:43 AM

Mass shootings don't affect my daily life in the least. I have a general dislike of large crowds but that pre-dated all the mass shooting media frenzy.

While mass shootings are terrible because they are intentional murders, the odds are very very low of being in a mass shooting. There are 327,000,000 people in the USA and 273 have died from mass shootings this year. I have a far greater chance of drowning (3,500 per year), dying due to a hospital error (at least 250,000 per year!), or vehicle accident (40,000 per year.)

Cites:

Mass shooting deaths 2019 so far: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/numbe...b0aca34121ad19
Drowning deaths per year: https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreatio...factsheet.html
Medical error deaths: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medi...n-america.html
Vehicle accident deaths: https://www.nsc.org/road-safety/safe...lity-estimates
Old 08-13-2019, 12:17 PM

I was like everyone else who just thought shootings were a sad and terrible statistic but didn't feel like they impacted me directly. Then we had the DC Snipers a few years ago and I was genuinely afraid of going to put gas in my car. It made me realize that yeah, it's actually really easy for a psycho to go around sniping innocent people.

Anyway, having grown up in a rural environment, I'm not inherently anti-gun. But every time we have another shooting incident I get closer and closer to strongly feeling like the time has passed for the 2nd amendment. I'm sorry if that triggers people. I'm honestly not trolling. I'm just really sick of people being killed and nothing being done about it.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

To answer the question of the OP, no, how I live or think hasn't been affected.

Except, on Sunday morning after Dayton and El Paso, I was in church and found myself noting where the exits from the sanctuary were. There's four, two up front, on the east and west, one in the west wall, and the main front doors on the north.