Old 08-13-2019, 06:00 AM

I think Sarah Silverman's basically a good person, and I'm taking her at her word that there is some context that's probably missing, but nevertheless, "edgy" comedy is risky and she knew that. And by edgy, I don't mean to be an apologist, either. Sometimes risky comedy isn't just perceived as offensive; it actually is offensive.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Borgia View Post
Jesus Tap dancing Christ. I was just at my bar watching a movie and my buddy said "who's that actor?" and I said "Who, the black guy?" No one, including the black people in earshot, took offence. "Black guy" is not a racial slur. The reason white people are afraid to use it as an identifier I'd because of their own insecurity, not because of anything real.
Saying a person is a "black guy" is offensive now? When did that happen?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I have no idea. Ask Ultravires.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 08-13-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Sarah Silverman "got" herself.

While she is clearly bummed out about losing an opportunity, it seems that she totally gets why it happened and she's not acting too butthurt about it. Good for her.

For those who don't want to click, Silverman went full-on blackface. Not brownface, but actual blackface.
This is one of the consequences of deliberately and disingenuously removing all nuance from symbolism and language in order to use it as a bludgeon. Hopefully, at some point, reason will prevail.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
This is one of the consequences of deliberately and disingenuously removing all nuance from symbolism and language in order to use it as a bludgeon. Hopefully, at some point, reason will prevail.
Weird time that I agree with you. She should have just owned it and said "Yeah, so? It was satire" No matter how woke you are, there are always going to be people who are "more woke" that will criticize you.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
She should have just owned it and said "Yeah, so? It was satire"
Well, from the link in that article to another interview she gave last year, it seems she doesn't actually think it was good satire:
Quote:
“Comedy by nature is not at all evergreen. So if you're doing it right, you look back at your old stuff and you're horrified,” she tells me. “I don't stand by the blackface sketch. I'm horrified by it, and I can't erase it. I can only be changed by it and move on.” [...]

“I was praised for it! It made me famous! It was like, I'm playing a character, and I know this is wrong, so I can say it. I'm clearly liberal. That was such liberal-bubble stuff, where I actually thought it was dealing with racism by using racism. I don't get joy in that anymore. It makes me feel yucky. All I can say is that I'm not that person anymore.”
ISTM that the self-righteous people here are the ones thinking Silverman needs to "own" something she's explicitly chosen to disown and even feels "horrified" by. You personally don't need to be horrified by her blackface sketch of twelve years ago if that's not how you feel about it, but you don't get to tell her how she should feel about it.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
In my experience this only happens with white folks who have zero experience around non-white people and think that there is some kind of special set of rules they have to follow in order avoid being bigoted.

As an example, about a year ago a guy I work with tangentially went on a rant about how he can't ask one of his employees if he was Puerto Rican because the employee would then file an HR complaint against him for racism. Nothing I said could dissuade him from this belief until said employee walked by and I asked the question myself. What resulted was a pleasant conversation with employee about Puerto Rico while employees boss stormed off fully convinced he was going to get an HR complaint.