Old 08-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Honestly I've lost track of what someone can/can't do inside which chamber.
Orange Barrier: around the whole "building", i.e. the middle chamber (the one with the stairs) plus the Council Chamber. It prevents anyone not having a dwarf body from entering. It also blocks spells and undoes any kind of spells or spell-like effects cast on people entering.

Blue Barrier: around just the Council Chamber. It causes anyone violating Dwarven Law to be petrified. That includes casting any kind of spell or spell-like effect on another person in the room. It also blocks sound from entering the Chamber.

Note that the barriers are complete. You can't get around them by going through the roof, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
If the meeting is still technically in session and just temporarily recessed, then Durkon won't automatically turn fleshy again. But it's not a significant problem. There's no Dwarven law against carrying a statue out of a room, and once he's out of the room, Elan or probably Vaarsuvius can restore him.
They'd only have to go to the middle chamber to get to Squeaky and his apprentice. Well, she's probably not an apprentice any more, more likely a journeyman. But they may be busy undominating the guards. After all Song of Freedom takes a full minute. Yes, he probably, and she definitely, shouldn't be high enough level to sing that song. But if they need to sing it, that'll be another rule Burlew ignores.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Anyone capable of using Song of Freedom can do it a dozen times a day. And a minute casting time is a big deal in the middle of combat, but when the timescale is "until they can find another 20' oak", it's plenty fast.

Come to think of it, they don't even need to use it on the dominated elders. If they can get them out of the council chamber, then they can also get them out of the building... through the orange barrier that'll dispel it.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyone capable of using Song of Freedom can do it a dozen times a day. And a minute casting time is a big deal in the middle of combat, but when the timescale is "until they can find another 20' oak", it's plenty fast.
There's still three vampires around there and going out of the blue barrier removes the restriction on attacking. So anyone out there may find themselves in combat.

BTW, the female vampire did the mist-form thing in panel 11 (first panel of the second page). It's real easy to miss that. Don't know where that third guy is.

Quote:
Come to think of it, they don't even need to use it on the dominated elders. If they can get them out of the council chamber, then they can also get them out of the building... through the orange barrier that'll dispel it.
I wonder if that would work to unpetrify, too.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:43 PM

I bet it would unpetrify. Why not?
Old 08-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
I bet it would unpetrify. Why not?
Dispel Magic doesn't work on instant effects (like Flesh to Stone). You need a more specialized spell like Break Enchantment or Stone to Flesh to undo it.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Some people in the other forum think the blue barrier is down because of the suspension of the meeting. They point out that you can't see the blue around the doorway in panel 18 (4th to last), while you can in panel 11 (first in second page). There's also some changes in coloring of some characters (the blue barrier puts a blue sheen on everything in the room). So they're wondering why Durkon is still petrified.

Don't think this is correct. The reason you can't see the barrier in panel 18 is that only the left side of the doorway is visible and the actual edge is blocked by a column. The difference in coloring is because the sheen is heavier for things (including people) in the background. The comparison needs to be made between two foreground or two background views of the same person. The comparisons they made were between a background image and foreground image.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

At this point, the good guys seriously outgun the vampires, and the vampires are protected only by the rules. If going outside of the barriers means combat, it's a combat the vampires will lose.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
In theory he could have just hit it with the hammer in the first place. But that's less dramatic.
Plus, the council was in the way of a direct hammer throw. He might not have been able to directly hit it without hurting them.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:43 AM

Quote:
There's no Dwarven law against carrying a statue out of a room
Are you sure?
Old 08-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

1174: Fun For the Whole Family

Good for Minrah. She got the other guy, who apparently is unconscious. How does that happen to a vampire? And how do they keep the vampires from mist-forming?

Last edited by dtilque; 08-09-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
And how do they keep the vampires from mist-forming?
Plot, I guess. Nothing in the rules would prohibit it.

As for the other vampire, I guess maybe you could knock him low enough that he's not "dead" but also hasn't regenerated back to being awake yet? Maybe? Ok, more dramatic effect.

Last edited by Jophiel; 08-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:26 AM

From the rules:

Quote:
"Exposing any vampire to direct sunlight disorients it: It can take only a single move action or attack action and is destroyed utterly in the next round if it cannot escape."
Old 08-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue infinity View Post
From the rules:
I guess I'll have to allow it then!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

The only panel where we see the face of Minrah's vampire is when he's in the light. Maybe he's conscious, and just closing his eyes against the bright light.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The only panel where we see the face of Minrah's vampire is when he's in the light. Maybe he's conscious, and just closing his eyes against the bright light.
But then you'd think he would have mist-formed some time before being tossed into the light. OK plot is the answer, but that's not very satisfying.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Heh, "I'll motion to censure". Good one.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
But then you'd think he would have mist-formed some time before being tossed into the light. OK plot is the answer, but that's not very satisfying.
Yeah, the previously linked rules state that a vampire at 0hp automatically becomes gaseous so I guess there's no such thing as an unconscious vampire and a conscious one probably wouldn't let himself get dragged around.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Yeah, the previously linked rules state that a vampire at 0hp automatically becomes gaseous so I guess there's no such thing as an unconscious vampire and a conscious one probably wouldn't let himself get dragged around.
Maybe a spell that restricts movement, or something that locked it into its corporeal form?
Old 08-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I was just reminded (by reading the thread at the other board) that the no-name vampire who Minrah tossed into the light is actually a she. For some reason, I've been thinking of her as a he, even though I knew her gender at one point.

Anyway, that leaves two vampiresses left: Curly, who misted out last strip, and the Frontarchess. I doubt if the Frontarchess will be involved in the strip going forward, so there's only one the Order and Family have to worry about. I hope they manage to nail her, since I'd hate to see the Dwarven community plagued by vampires in the future.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
It's mostly plot, but maybe she just didn't think of it. Back in my playing days I had more than one character die followed by the DM saying "why didn't you <insert obvious choice here>".
Old 08-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
It's mostly plot, but maybe she just didn't think of it. Back in my playing days I had more than one character die followed by the DM saying "why didn't you <insert obvious choice here>".
But there's no players in the Stickverse. And the author certainly knows about the possibility.

The last time we saw either Minrah or No-name was in strip 1167 when they were facing off/arguing. So we're supposed to conclude that Minrah managed to win that battle all on her own. It's just that normally a vampire that loses does an involuntary mist-form, not become unconscious. But that's not dramatic enough. So really the answer is "drama" rather than "plot".
Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

There is the spell Halt Undead, which paralyzes an undead critter. Two problems:
1) It's a wizard/sorcerer spell. Is there any wizard/sorcerer handy who might have that spell?
2) The effect ends if the undead is attacked. Grappling someone requires an attack roll.

Other than that, I got nothin.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Would a Hold Person affect a vampire? As far as I can tell from the SRD, it should, but maybe there's something I missed. But even if it does, the difference in the levels of the two would come into play. No-name is clearly at a much higher level than Minrah.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Would a Hold Person affect a vampire? As far as I can tell from the SRD, it should, but maybe there's something I missed. But even if it does, the difference in the levels of the two would come into play. No-name is clearly at a much higher level than Minrah.
Mental effect. Undead are immune.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Mental effect. Undead are immune.
Yes, I thought I'd forgotten something. So there's no real explanation for an unconscious vampire other than "drama".
Old 08-09-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
But there's no players in the Stickverse. And the author certainly knows about the possibility.
My attempted point is that people forget stuff, so it isn't unreasonable that the author could have a character forget something. Although the later point that mist form may be involuntary would contradict that.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, I thought I'd forgotten something.
I've said it before in this very thread, I'll say it again : undead in general are the biggest (because the most ubiquitous) "you know what, FUCK YOU" in all of old school D&D. By which I mean there are even more annoying assholes out there for your DM to pick for his antag's if they're feeling particularly ornery ; but no matter the campaign they run there will be undead, and they will make you fucking miserable for no reason whatsoever.

They're immune to crits and backstabbing, so right off the bat the Rogue is going to sulk in a corner (again). They're immune to mental effects, cold, poison, fear, stat damage/drain, fatigue and have high saves of all 3 kinds (since they basically ignore Fort effects and have a large innate to Will, your average asshole DM is going to work on their Ref saves to make them all but immune to magic - oh, they have SR too at high level because of course they do). Hitting them with sticks ? Barring zombies and skellingtons most of those assholes are either natively incorporeal and laugh at your puny attacks (not that their own attacks are affected, because did I mention FUCK YOU ?) or can do it on a whim. And of course, if class levels weren't enough, the Big Bad undead-types have a multitude of innate abilities they can cast all day long, Just Because.

I think Gygax' original idea was that the mythological undead were sort of puzzle enemies that required something unique and specific to defeat, which is why you brought a cleric along to kill them that special way... except Turn Undead doesn't work for shit, the cleric's special anti-Undead spells are barely enough to clear skellingtons (nevermind anything really threatening because, as said earlier, beefy saves all around+sr) and even if they did it would be wholly unsatisfying to have the entire party being useless except for that one weird guy with all the crosses doing everything.

Undead are bad by design, and it only got worse the more splatbooks and weird undead (sans puzzle weaknesses) got written in.

Last edited by Kobal2; 08-09-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2019, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post

They're immune to crits and backstabbing, so right off the bat the Rogue is going to sulk in a corner (again). T....
In Pathfinder, Undead can certainly be crited and sneak attacked.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Even if it weren't mind-affecting, Hold Person still wouldn't work on undead, because it only works on humanoids. "Humanoid" is a term of art in D&D, referring to one specific creature type. "Undead" is a different creature type. In terms of the game rules, the vampires that just got illuminated are more akin to the Giant Death Worm outside than they are to living dwarves.

When the other vampire misted out, was that inside the innermost chamber? It's possible that misting counts as an effect that would trigger the petrification. Depending on how quickly Minrah dealt with the vampire, it might not have had a chance, in the short window between the meeting being suspended and being thrown into the light.

It's also possible (and I think more likely, given Minrah's visible wounds) that it underestimated her (possibly due to knowing that her cleric level is low, without accounting for her previous levels as a guard), and thought that it could finish her off quickly by using its action(s) to attack her, instead of prudently escaping.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
In Pathfinder, Undead can certainly be crited and sneak attacked.
I know. Pathfinder made a lot of things less painful. They even realized rogues might could be allowed to do stuff !
Old 08-10-2019, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
When the other vampire misted out, was that inside the innermost chamber? It's possible that misting counts as an effect that would trigger the petrification. Depending on how quickly Minrah dealt with the vampire, it might not have had a chance, in the short window between the meeting being suspended and being thrown into the light.
Yes, it was in the Chamber, and we actually saw the mist. She did it when the rock hit the table. It was in the background, partially behind a speech bubble in the second page, first panel of strip 1173. And there was no petrification.

Rereading your comments, it's not clear that you are aware that the one that misted was not the one that Minrah tossed into the sunlight. The one that misted was Curly (the one with the curly hair). The other one was Noname (which they call Sandy on the other forum) and we never saw her in the Chamber until the tossing.

Quote:
It's also possible (and I think more likely, given Minrah's visible wounds) that it underestimated her (possibly due to knowing that her cleric level is low, without accounting for her previous levels as a guard), and thought that it could finish her off quickly by using its action(s) to attack her, instead of prudently escaping.
Yeah, for all we know, she may have more levels as fighter or some similar class than she does as cleric.
Old 08-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I just haven't been paying very close attention to the individual lesser vampires (I mostly remember that one misted out just because people online are talking about her being forgotten). But I do know that the one who misted out was different from the one that Minrah defeated.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

1175 Running on Fumes

Wrapping this battle up. Hel still has a vampire, but she's the worst of the bunch.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

1175 Running on Fumes
Old 08-14-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Wrapping this battle up. Hel still has a vampire, but she's the worst of the bunch.
Be nice if Hilgya swatted her to put an end to this.

Edit: I assume the implication is that she just passed over Hilgya, same as she left the Chamber and drifted past the Order but I'm ready to move on.

Last edited by Jophiel; 08-14-2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Adequacy achieved!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Digging the pace. Love the line Chronos mentioned. Kind of annoyed at how easy the LDW went down, despite the hatch marks on the Order, but Rich hasn't been using the SRD rules as a guide for awhile now, so w/e.

Let's wrap this up. I'm curious to see how Durkon will get unstoned and the Hilgya-Kudzu-Durkon mess gets untangled.

Dwarf Mage to teleport the gang near the Tomb?

How're they going to convince RedCloak to play ball?

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 08-14-2019 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Unstoned, autocorrect, not unstained.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
Digging the pace.
Burlew needs to finish the current book in time to get it published by November for the Christmas season. So he's working all out (well, almost all out) on it and we're getting updates about every 3 week days. Which is as fast as he can draw them unless he works weekends too.

Quote:
How're they going to convince RedCloak to play ball?
Personally, I don't expect they'll convince him, although they'll no doubt try. I expect a completely different solution to the Snarl problem.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Let's wrap this up. I'm curious to see how Durkon will get unstoned and the Hilgya-Kudzu-Durkon mess gets untangled.
Stone to Flesh is a Wizard spell so potentially V could just cast it (assuming V has it in the book). I'm unsure if Song of Freedom would work -- it acts as a Break Enchantment and it sounds as though that originally allowed for reverting 'stoned' creatures but then it was removed from the spell description in a later edition or errata?
Old 08-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Break Enchantment (and hence Song of Freedom) works. In the book, it says that it even works on instantaneous effects such as Flesh to Stone. In the free SRD, which trims out a lot of details, it says that it even works on instantaneous effects. The loss of the "such as" doesn't actually change the rules, and even if it did, what's in the book is more official than what's in the SRD.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:14 AM

Ah, thanks. Without the books or being involved in 3.5, it was hard to follow the chain of events with some random internet posts talking about how it should work, others talking about changes between 3 & 3.5e and the online spell descriptions being incomplete. I guess the internet debate was about it only working on instant effects up to 5th level and Flesh to Stone is a 6th level spell but it also explicitly calls/called out Flesh to Stone, yadda yadda.

Well, with several bards around who can do Song of Freedom, there's no worry about Durkon staying as a pigeon perch.

Last edited by Jophiel; 08-15-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post

Well, with several bards around who can do Song of Freedom, there's no worry about Durkon staying as a pigeon perch.
Not to mention that if one of your security measures is turning people into stone, you'd probably want to have a couple of stone-to-flesh scrolls in the emergency first aid kit in case it goes off accidentally.

Also, Hel still has one what left?

Last edited by Finagle; 08-15-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:58 PM

Vampire, i believe.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

Two, actually: Curly and the high priestess still at the Godsmoot.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

She might not be counting Curly, since she's running away.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

The Frontarch (high priestess) is stuck at the Godsmoot until this vote is done. She can't do anything until then. So Hel is obviously only counting Curly, who is still a free agent.

But Loki is right; it's time for Hel to call it quits on this caper. It's not going anywhere. Even if Curly was the one who dominated that last councilor who hasn't voted yet, they can undominate him before the meeting resumes.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
She might not be counting Curly, since she's running away.
Though it looks like Hel's watching Curly in the scrying pool in the last panel. It'd be nice if Hilgya would just Flame Strike her into oblivion already, but leaving a vampire around to cause death and destruction works too. Besides, it gives the Durkon extended family something to do besides piling onto the Mechane with the Order and going to the Tomb.

Re Song of Freedom, I'd think it would be just fine on a petrification effect, were it not for that silly 'only-reverses-5th level spells-and-below' thing. Then again, does it work to unstone people who've run across a basilisk or the like? I guess from reading you guys that it does. And Finagle's point about there probably being a few S-t-F scrolls in the first aid kit is a good one.

Dtilque, how do you think the Snarl issue will be resolved, if not by the purple quiddity plot point? We've been told the Snarl is the embodiment of the Gods' arguing with each other. I can't see an outcome where the Gods all agree to never argue with each other again, so is the solution to just make another prison for the Snarl? Or is there some method of combing out or untangling the Snarl? I've not read BRIF yet; does Burlew give anymore info about the world in the rift?
Old 08-15-2019, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dtilque, how do you think the Snarl issue will be resolved, if not by the purple quiddity plot point?
I have no idea what the solution to the Snarl will be. It just seems to me that persuading RedCloak to basically drop the Big Plan that he's so committed to will not work. After all, he did

SPOILER:
kill his own brother

to maintain it. So now some enemies are going to change his mind? Doesn't seem probable.

There's also the fact that the gods (Thor and Odin) do not know all the facts. They're unaware of the planet inside the rifts. That's an indication that their plans may not happen as they wish.

Quote:
I've not read BRIF yet; does Burlew give anymore info about the world in the rift?
No he doesn't give any more info about it there. At least nothing that's not in one of the on-line strips.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Well, there is my theory that one of the Gods of the East is still alive, unbeknownst to the other gods and even to himself, but let's not get into that again.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:46 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Why is Curly repeating 'Not again' over and over?

Did I miss some traumatic backstory?