Old 08-13-2019, 06:28 AM

Mundane Things that Make you Feel irrationally Embarrassed

My wife saw one of these "Mojito Pouches" at the store a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try. As is often the case when she does this, she realized after the first sip that she didn't like it. Never mind, I'll finish this 3-litre monstruosity all by myself (fortunately it keeps for up to 6 weeks - I'm getting there).

So, there I was pouring myself a drink when I realized that it was absolutely ridiculous. Perhaps it was the pathetic sound of the liquid trickling down into my glass. Or the huge shapeless pouch. Or the stupid "faucet" thingy that made it look like I was helping a plastic dwarf pee. I don't know. But for something so innocuous, it sure made me feel unreasonably self-conscious.
Et d’où ma vie s’égoutte au moindre mouvement
Old 08-13-2019, 10:29 AM

I showed up at a funeral in what I thought was appropriate attire. A suit. Everyone else was casual, at best. I felt like an idiot.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I showed up at a funeral in what I thought was appropriate attire. A suit. Everyone else was casual, at best. I felt like an idiot.
That happened to me. The funeral was on an Indian Reservation, and most of the family probably didn't even own a suit. Everyone was dressed respectfully, but I stood out as the white guy in a suit. Also, it made it more difficult to shovel dirt into the grave, which was not just a ceremonial task.

In recent years, I'm also irrationally embarrassed by the size of my gut. Maybe not irrationally.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
That happened to me. The funeral was on an Indian Reservation, and most of the family probably didn't even own a suit. Everyone was dressed respectfully, but I stood out as the white guy in a suit. Also, it made it more difficult to shovel dirt into the grave, which was not just a ceremonial task.

In recent years, I'm also irrationally embarrassed by the size of my gut. Maybe not irrationally.
Not a thing wrong with “the white guy in the suit” imho he was showing respect. (Not to imply those in more casual attire were not)
Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard View Post
Not a thing wrong with “the white guy in the suit” imho he was showing respect. (Not to imply those in more casual attire were not)
Agreed, that's why I considered it irrational that I was embarrassed by it.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
No need to feel embarrassed. It's always better to be over dressed than under dressed. And yes, I realize the operative word is "irrationally".

I always feel like a doofus when I get an automated operator and I have to state my reason for calling and end up having to repeat it over and over. I'm always alone when it happens but it's still embarassing.

"Talk to a representative"
<I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Please explain in a few words the reason for your call>
"Talk to a representative!!
<I'm sorry, I didn't catch that. Please explain in a few words the reason for your call>
TALK TO A REPRESENTATIVE!!!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post

I usually just start hitting random numbers at that point. More often than not, I'll eventually get a person, especially if their asking for an account number and I enter something (knowingly) incorrect.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I always feel like a doofus when I get an automated operator and I have to state my reason for calling and end up having to repeat it over and over. I'm always alone when it happens but it's still embarassing.

Just saying "agent" is usually interpreted correctly. Although it may still be programmed to try do divert you back into the automated system.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Our standard work break is 1/2 hour. I like to take time and savoy what I eat, so it takes me a lot longer to eat a meal. I usually just bring some cookies and coffee for break.

I always feel embarrassed seeing people eat full meals while I'm just nibbling. Sometimes they offer me some of their food (because they think I can't afford food). Sometimes they might think I'm showing off by not eating much (I am very thin). Sometimes I go eat outside rather than watch other people eat.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
When I threw out my suits I prevented this from ever happening to me.

That, and the fact that I do not attend funerals.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Sort of came close the 2nd to last funeral I went to. Was in full suit with the coat in the back seat. Saw the main group all in t-shirts for the deceased's favorite team when I pulled in. Left the coat in the car but still had the white shirt/tie/etc. so I stuck out a bit.

So the last funeral I went to just dress shirt w/tie, etc. Was just among the top tier of better dressed.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:06 PM

I share an office with other employees. I am embarrassed about making medical appointments in that space. The receptionist on the phone inevitably asks for the purpose of the visit, and I don't like reciting my maladies in public, even when it's something totally mundane like elbow pain (as opposed to, say, hemorrhoids). To make appointments, I always go outside and use my cell phone, no matter what the issue is.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
(Trying to make an appointment)
"If you're calling about an appointment, press 1."
(I press 1.)
"If you're calling to make, cancel or reschedule an appointment, press 1"
(As I press 1) "DIDN'T I JUST TELL YOU THAT?"

Then I feel like an idiot, yelling at a phone with no person on the other end.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 PM

I don't think it's irrational,but...one day I waited for the bus in the morning, in the sun. I had on my sunglasses but it was still pretty bright. (Bright and early!) I got on the bus, and the bus was dark. I put in my pass and the driver pulled away as I was groping my way down the aisle, so I grabbed for the bar so as not to lose my balance.

Oops, it moved. It was somebody's white cane!

So I said, "Oh, sorry, the sun blinded me and..."

Oh shit. I just complained, about being blinded by the sun--to a blind man!

At least he couldn't see me. But other people on the bus could.

So I felt my way to a seat, and for the next few weeks I left early and walked like half a mile to a place where I could catch a different bus.

Also, this was years ago. The kid in question is 23 now, but at the time he was about two. I took him into the library. While I was looking for a book, he started pulling out all the cardboad things they store current magazines in (after about a year they have them as bound copies) and strewing the magazines all over the place. I changed my focus from looking for a book to restoring a pile of New Yorkers to order, but by then he had moved on to another magazine, and I couldn't keep up with him, so I grabbed him and left. And went way out of my way to another library for like, 10 years.

There is probably not the faintest chance that the people on the bus or in the library would have remembered me, or even cared. Well, maybe the librarian. But why take the chance, better to disappear.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM

I go to the movies alone 99% of the time. I feel awkward standing in the concession line all by my lonesome sometimes, but the feeling is not strong enough to deter me from getting popcorn.

However, I get embarrassed at the thought I might bump into people I know. And when someone asks me what I did over the weekend, I never tell them I went to the movies.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post

Oh shit. I just complained, about being blinded by the sun--to a blind man!
By the way... I've hung out with blind people and that is normal. They wouldn't think anything about your story. Things I have seen with blind people that should be embarassing are:
Wanting to donate money to a cause without bringing attention to themselves, so they hlld out a bill without talling them. How are they supposed to know you are holding out money?
Then not telling them the denomination. They won't know what it is.
Waiter standing across the table and ask if they can take their order. The blind person doesn't know the waiter is looking at them.
When asked about a particular food, the waiter pointed down the table and said, "it's what they have", thinking that the blind person can tell what a person down the table has.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:55 PM

Hmm... Making a post and then noticing typos and can't figure out how to edit it. Now everyone can see that I can't type. (I shouldn't type and eat at the same time)
Old 08-13-2019, 11:07 PM

When I write something that is going to be public, but isn't yet, I don't want anyone to see it. It doesn't matter if it's in progress or if it's finished and meant for publication at a later time. It's very stupid because I'll half-consciously take action to prevent my stuff from being seen. Like I'll snatch it off the printer right away, place it face-down if I have to leave it, or shut my computer if I walk away with it pulled up on the screen. And the point of it is literally that people will read it, so I don't know why I'm so cagey about it.

I'm kind of weird about other stuff I write, too. Like stuff that is for personal use rather than publication, but is really not private. I have a notebook with this kind of stuff- brainstorms, checklists, to-do lists, stuff for fundraisers, etc. The content is not remotely personal. It's not like it contains my secret thoughts and feelings and a list of my crushes and which ones of my friends I can't stand. The closest thing to actually embarrassing is the brainstorms because some of the ideas are kind of half-formed and silly. And yet, that thing is like my diary (if I brought my diary to work with me, I guess). I get a spike of anxiety if someone touches it and I don't leave it lying around where people can see.

Also, anything that records the things I like... if that makes any sense. I don't want anyone seeing my Spotify playlists or Netflix history or anything like that. Again, there's nothing secret on there. And it's not like I never tell anyone what kind of music I listen to or shows I watch. If you know me, you're not going to be surprised that my playlists are eclectic leaning toward nerdy. And if you know me and you like me, you're not going to suddenly think I'm weird because you see the music I listen to. You already know I'm weird.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:08 AM

When I go to meetings at work, I bring my laptop with my mouse still attached, because I hate touchpads. I try to look cool and professional while walking to the meeting, but sometimes the mouse will slide out of my hand and hit the floor. If I detach the mouse and carry it separately, I still have the same issue. It will somehow work its way out of my hand or pocket and hit the floor. It's most distressing.

I think the most embarrassing sound however is the sound a toilet makes when I sit on it and it's not flush (so to speak) with the floor. It tilts and makes that clanking sound, like OMIGOD DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT FATASS ALMOST BREAK THE TOILET??? I have to wait in the stall until everybody leaves so they won't see my face.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
When I go to meetings at work, I bring my laptop with my mouse still attached, because I hate touchpads. I try to look cool and professional while walking to the meeting, but sometimes the mouse will slide out of my hand and hit the floor. If I detach the mouse and carry it separately, I still have the same issue. It will somehow work its way out of my hand or pocket and hit the floor. It's most distressing.

I think the most embarrassing sound however is the sound a toilet makes when I sit on it and it's not flush (so to speak) with the floor. It tilts and makes that clanking sound, like OMIGOD DID YOU JUST HEAR THAT FATASS ALMOST BREAK THE TOILET??? I have to wait in the stall until everybody leaves so they won't see my face.
If that's the thing that bugs you the most, you can buy little plastic shims for next to nothing at any hardware store in the plumbing aisle. Stick a few under the toilet, snap them off and it'll stop rocking.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post

I had an even more embarrassing experience along these lines. I called my investment company with a question about a CD ladder. My conversation with the machine went like this:

Machine: <Please tell me why you're calling.>
Me: I have a question about a CD ladder.
Machine: <Ok, you're calling about a letter, right?>
Me: No.
Machine: <My mistake. Please tell me why you're calling.>
Me: No!

After something like 4 rounds of this, I just wanted to say something just to get me to a human, so I yelled "Just give me an agent you stupid machine!". It then said "Transferring you to an agent about just give me a agent you stupid machine", the last part being a recording of my outburst. Then I realized that the system was probably going to play that recording for the agent too before I talked to him.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Even at age 48, I still get a little nervous buying alcohol and sexual products.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:11 PM

I don't like saying the names of songs. As in, if someone asked me what my favorite song is, I would feel dumb saying Old Town Road(it's not, it's just the first thing that came to mind)and would first try saying "that new one by Billy Ray Cyrus". Some songs titles sound more foolish than others, of course, but I feel self conscious about it in almost any case.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:31 PM

My shoes never cease to amuse. The lil'wrekker is mortified by them. She takes incessant pix of my feet when we're out together. I have now turned it into a game of how much can I embarrass her! I just purchased a pair of tie-dyed crocs. She's gonna die when I wear them with my cat socks.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Have you tried a wireless mouse? They work great. Just as good as a wired one and the batteries last a long time. You can easily slip it in your pocket when you go to your meeting.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
If that's the thing that bugs you the most, you can buy little plastic shims for next to nothing at any hardware store in the plumbing aisle. Stick a few under the toilet, snap them off and it'll stop rocking.
Great, I'll carry them around forever until I find an unlevel toilet.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmore View Post
Have you tried a wireless mouse? They work great. Just as good as a wired one and the batteries last a long time. You can easily slip it in your pocket when you go to your meeting.
Wireless mouses are the devil. Batteries give out at the most inconvenient time, and the supply lady is sometimes out of replacements. At least this way, I only have one power supply to worry about.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I have a quiet little voice that goes about thisfar from my mouth and then dies.

So I go to the counter to order something... "Hi, I'd like a sesame bagel with veggie cream cheese, and an everything bagel with...."

Deli counter person turns their back to me and starts making what I've ordered to far.

I don't know whether to keep speaking or not. I don't know whether he can still hear me. I don't know whether or not it would be rude to raise my voice.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Wireless mouses are the devil. Batteries give out at the most inconvenient time, and the supply lady is sometimes out of replacements. At least this way, I only have one power supply to worry about.
What my life needs is a "supply lady".
Old 08-14-2019, 05:17 PM

I hate the necessity of making small talk at the barber, but I'm pretty much used to it. But when I'm still waiting for my haircut and there's a conversation between the barber and the current customer, I feel uncomfortable joining in, like it's their own private conversation and I'm caught eavesdropping.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
(Trying to make an appointment)
"If you're calling about an appointment, press 1."
(I press 1.)
"If you're calling to make, cancel or reschedule an appointment, press 1"
(As I press 1) "DIDN'T I JUST TELL YOU THAT?"

I feel like an idiot talking on the phone at all.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
She takes incessant pix of my feet when we're out together.
Hey. Pix, or it didn't happen. You know the drill.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn+ View Post
I had an even more embarrassing experience along these lines. I called my investment company with a question about a CD ladder. My conversation with the machine went like this:

Machine: <Please tell me why you're calling.>
Me: No.
Machine: <My mistake. Please tell me why you're calling.>
Me: No!

After something like 4 rounds of this, I just wanted to say something just to get me to a human, so I yelled "Just give me an agent you stupid machine!". It then said "Transferring you to an agent about just give me a agent you stupid machine", the last part being a recording of my outburst. Then I realized that the system was probably going to play that recording for the agent too before I talked to him.
The following is a very useful website for preventing, or at least reducing, this kind of thing.

https://gethuman.com/
Old 08-15-2019, 04:50 AM

Calling someone I don't know, to make an appointment to get something fixed. In German, which is not my native language. And the person I am talking to probably speaks mostly a dialect of German which does not match the "proper" German I use.

And I tend to miss the person's name, so I'm not able to repeat it back, unless I ask them their name again.

Add to all this, I'll do this at my desk where there are native speakers around me, and at least one of them will be happy* to tell me my mistakes after I get off the phone.

* I have actually asked my coworkers to correct me, but to limit it to once per person, per day, so neither of us get overwhelmed. It's helpful to me, but sometimes demoralizing.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I hate the necessity of making small talk at the barber...
This is part of why I stopped going to barber shops about 20 years ago (I just cut my own hair at home now with an electric trimmer and guards of various lengths).

The other part is when they always started by asking "OK, how do you want it cut?" I don't fuckin' know, I just want it shorter! I always ended up feeling like a dumbass about hair and a dumbass about smalltalk between me and a total stranger with whom I have absolutely nothing in common and whom I'm unlikely to ever see again. Happy to leave all that nonsense behind.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:25 AM

I am a little hard of hearing, or understanding, or something. If we're talking in a loud environment, or the person has a thick accent, I have to as them to repeat themselves a thousand times.

Also I have trouble listening to people if they talk for more than 10 seconds at a time. My brain registers it as likely being a boring monologue, and tunes it out. But I have some autistic co-workers who talk like that all the time, so I struggle to keep up.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
TThe other part is when they always started by asking "OK, how do you want it cut?" I don't fuckin' know, I just want it shorter!
I hate going to Subway for this reason. They have a picture menu of sandwiches.

Me: "#7 looks tasty, I'll have one of those."
Sandwich Artist: "What do you want on it?"
Me: "I dunno, whatever goes on #7? You're the one who went to Sandwich Art School, not me."

So then I have to tell them exactly what I think goes in a #7, which I find annoying because they should call themselves sandwich craftsmen or sandwich enthusiasts if they're going to be like that.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I hate the necessity of making small talk at the barber, but I'm pretty much used to it. But when I'm still waiting for my haircut and there's a conversation between the barber and the current customer, I feel uncomfortable joining in, like it's their own private conversation and I'm caught eavesdropping.
I make a big show of removing my hearing aid and placing it in its little case. I like to sit with my eyes closed when my hair/beard is being cut. If the barber happens to say anything, unless it's important, I pretend I didn't hear.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
Or, you know, tighten up the bolts that hold it down. 99% of the time they've just loosened up a little bit.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Or, you know, tighten up the bolts that hold it down. 99% of the time they've just loosened up a little bit.
Great, now he has to carry shims AND an adjustable wrench around until he finds an unlevel toilet.

Quote:
Great, I'll carry them around forever until I find an unlevel toilet.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM

Very occasionally I'll feel irrationally embarrassed about walking, biking or taking the bus someplace because I don't own a car.

Most of the time, mind you, I just feel complacent and smug about it, but sometimes when I encounter people who seem to think that my taking a bus is tantamount to revealing myself as a homeless bag lady scrounging for food in public trash cans, I experience a bit of secondhand irrational embarrassment.

(Note to non-US Dopers: This is totally an American car-culture thing and it is entirely normal for you to find it ludicrously incomprehensible.)

Last edited by Kimstu; 08-15-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Getting misquoted makes me mortified.

One time our workplace did this trivia thing about employees where everyone submits an interesting trivia fact about themselves. I am a big fan of airplanes, so I wrote that "I can name 70 different models of airplanes." (i.e., Boeing 777, Airbus A380, etc.)

Guess how it was announced at our small group trivia fun event? "Velocity can name 70 different models."

Way to be skeevy Velocity!

Last edited by Velocity; 08-15-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Hey. Pix, or it didn't happen. You know the drill.
Nobody wants to see those. I promise.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Very occasionally I'll feel irrationally embarrassed about walking, biking or taking the bus someplace because I don't own a car.

Most of the time, mind you, I just feel complacent and smug about it, but sometimes when I encounter people who seem to think that my taking a bus is tantamount to revealing myself as a homeless bag lady scrounging for food in public trash cans, I experience a bit of secondhand irrational embarrassment.

(Note to non-US Dopers: This is totally an American car-culture thing and it is entirely normal for you to find it ludicrously incomprehensible.)
Sometimes, when driving, I pass a pedestrian schlepping their groceries. Often it's an elderly or handicapped person. I feel embarrassed to be driving, while this person isn't... but not to the point of offering them a ride. Them I'm embarrassed by not offering them a ride. One of these days I'm gonna pull over and offer.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
I hate going to Subway for this reason. They have a picture menu of sandwiches.

Me: "#7 looks tasty, I'll have one of those."
Sandwich Artist: "What do you want on it?"
Me: "I dunno, whatever goes on #7? You're the one who went to Sandwich Art School, not me."

So then I have to tell them exactly what I think goes in a #7, which I find annoying because they should call themselves sandwich craftsmen or sandwich enthusiasts if they're going to be like that.
On the other hand, most folks on the autism spectrum (one of which is my daughter), love the way Subway logically goes through crafting a sandwich. It creates a rationale space in the universe. 4", 6" or 12", what kind of bread, should that bread be toasted or plain, do you want cheese, what kind of cheese, etc.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:37 AM

I once spent half a day in office wearing my t-shirt inside out. Didn't realize it until the lady at the cash counter asked me if "this is the fashion these days." Since then, I have always been a little self-conscious / embarrassed whenever I wear tees, especially if it does not have a chest pocket that I can touch to assure myself I have it on right. Aaand, I have to check often to be sure the fly is closed, but that's a regular man thing, right?
Old 08-16-2019, 06:32 AM

mandala, I have a sweater I keep at the office because they keep the building so cold. Often I'll just haphazardly throw it on without checking to see if it's inside-out. It's not a big enough deal to me that the tag is showing. All I care about is that I'm no longer cold.

But inevitably, coworkers will catch me with my sweater inside-out and make a big to-do out of it. Like, one coworker has this tendency of notifying me that I've got it on inside-out in the same kind of whispery voice a person might use to let a woman know she's got blood on the seat of her pants. And when this coworker does this, without fail I feel irrationally embarrassed. "Just tell me in a normal voice, lady!"I always want to scream.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
mandala, I have a sweater I keep at the office because they keep the building so cold. Often I'll just haphazardly throw it on without checking to see if it's inside-out. It's not a big enough deal to me that the tag is showing. All I care about is that I'm no longer cold.

But inevitably, coworkers will catch me with my sweater inside-out and make a big to-do out of it. Like, one coworker has this tendency of notifying me that I've got it on inside-out in the same kind of whispery voice a person might use to let a woman know she's got blood on the seat of her pants. And when this coworker does this, without fail I feel irrationally embarrassed. "Just tell me in a normal voice, lady!"I always want to scream.
I think I would say, "thanks, but what's all the whispering about?".

mmm
Old 08-17-2019, 12:02 PM

I try not to be seen in public spaces in my work shirt and non slip shoes. Nothing goofy or wrong with them but I just don’t want to be seen after work hanging around in my work clothes.

I once a had a large knit striped pullover mock T sweater with a patch pocket on the breast. I unknowingly put it on backwards one time and went out. I saw a girl with the same sweater but different color which was kinda awesome as I had bought mine online. But I laughed because she was wearing it backwards and my friend pointed out that my sweater was on backwards too and thought that it was made that way and was a trend to have pockets on your shoulder blade. Idk it’s just that the sweater went on easy either way 🤪
Old 08-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
I have actually asked my coworkers to correct me, but to limit it to once per person, per day, so neither of us get overwhelmed. It's helpful to me, but sometimes demoralizing.
My dad once corrected me three times in one sentence. Turns out that’s too many. (Also in German. So many cases!)