Old 08-14-2019, 02:06 PM

Defensive Driving Classes in Missouri

I'm enrolling my girlfriend in a defensive driving class. I've found several online, but I suspect they're offering little more than road-sign reviews and maybe a gory video or two. I want something that will teach her actual defensive driving--like being paranoid about other drivers and spotting potential upcoming hazards. God knows I can't get through to her.

Anybody have any suggestions? If it's outside Missouri, that's fine too, since they might have a branch here.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Why does she need one? Has she been in many accidents, or gotten lots of tickets? Will attending drop her insurance rates?
Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
Why does she need one? Has she been in many accidents, or gotten lots of tickets? Will attending drop her insurance rates?
Totaled 4 cars in 5 years. None of them were legally her fault, but she scares the hell out of me every time I ride with her.

Last edited by GreysonCarlisle; 08-14-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

As an alternative, sign her up for a Motorcycle Safety (MSF) class. She'll get to learn to ride a motorcycle, so there's that, but you drive a bit differently when you learn to treat other cars as if they're actively trying to hit you.
After going through that class, you'll never again ignore that car on the side street that appears to be waiting for you to pass, especially when they keep inching forward [SMIDSY].
When you're in a double left turn lane, watching the car next to you to see if they're drifting into your lane.
Noticing that another driver is distracted and backing off instead of hanging out in their blind spot, and also, not hanging out in blind spots.

I know it's not really what you're looking for, but I think taking a motorcycle class to help reinforce what was taught the first time in driver's ed, is like learning more about your first language when you learn a second language in high school.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
As an alternative, sign her up for a Motorcycle Safety (MSF) class. She'll get to learn to ride a motorcycle, so there's that, but you drive a bit differently when you learn to treat other cars as if they're actively trying to hit you.
I know it's not really what you're looking for, but I think taking a motorcycle class to help reinforce what was taught the first time in driver's ed, is like learning more about your first language when you learn a second language in high school.
No, that is actually a really good idea. I'll talk it over with her tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreysonCarlisle View Post
No, that is actually a really good idea. I'll talk it over with her tomorrow.
Google MSF with your city/state and there's a good chance some of the local college teach it. Otherwise, many (most? all?) Harley dealers run a similar class.