Old 12-18-2003, 08:48 PM

Rock Festival in wisconsin - 70s?

After I astounded and amazed my twenty year old son with the shows I'd seen at the Fillmore East when I was just lass, I started telling him of other, stranger musical events.

Do you remember a 'rock festival' held in the middle of Wisonsin arounf 1970? The only bands I can remember playing there were The Amboy Dukes and Buffy Sainte-Marie. Who else played? My mind is kind of fuzzy on this one....
Old 12-18-2003, 10:06 PM

Was it the Wisconsin International Falls Festival in Kaukauna in 1972?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:34 PM

Wow. Did you SEE the lineup? Country to Blues to Ex-Mothers to Easy Listening... (Flo & Eddie and The Association?!?)

How did all these acts even know where Wisconsin is?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:57 PM

If that doesn't ring a bell (think you might've confused Buffy Sainte-Marie with Roger Miller?), it could've been Summerfest in Milwaukee. Long before it became a well-planned, family-friendly festival, it was one act after another all day long for a week.

I remember the early days, and dancing in a muddy field under impromptu umbrellas to John Sebastian ("What a day... man, you guys are crazy ... for a daydream...") who was sandwiched between bands like Poco and Mountain (hmmm... Melanie was there that day -- she's Buffy Sainte-Marie-esque...).

The music would start about noon and run til the wee hours, and once they added multiple stages, it made for a lot of diverse music. I've tried to find daily schedules from the '70's to double-check my memory (did George Carlin really follow the Doors?), but I'll try again.

Hey --what about emailing Buffy or The Amboy Dukes (who may be selling aluminum siding in New Jersey as we speak, and would apprecite a bit of fan mail)?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:11 PM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

Quote:
How did all these acts even know where Wisconsin is?
If you Google for Wisconsin/Anti-war/Veietnam, you might find a few listings that would give insight as to why musical acts of the day might know about Wisconsin, aside from the University, etc.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:51 PM

Don't have to Google for Wisconsin/Anti-war/Vietnam -- I was here (Madison). It was a wild, but scary time.

Weird flashback: One of the brothers that was involved in the fatal bombing of the UW's Army Math Research Center (and made the FBI's list) -- the bomber that disappeared in Canada, IIRC -- showed up at my door. The face that had stared at me from grainy news archive photos was asking me to sign for a package. After he left, I looked down at his name on the slip: Karleton Armstrong.

samclem, I never thought of bands gravitating toward Wisconsin because of the anti-war atmosphere, but it sounds plausible.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:05 AM

Hey digs, I'm an (almost) lifelong Madison resident and the Sterling Hall bombing is still a major part of Madison talk (though the UW seems to downplay it).

Karl Armstrong owns a sandwich shop on State St now, a lot of people are pissed that a murderer (even unintentionally) is now making a good living off his history (his shop is called The Radical Rye).

Leo Burt is still at large. I know a couple people who claim to have seen him though, including one guy who swears up and down that he saw him 4 or 5 years ago in the Northwest. Seems the FBI would've got him by now if it were that easy though.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:48 AM

Thanks all for your responses. We ain't there yet.

It was a three-day Woodstock-type affair in 1971, the summer after Woodstock. It was held outdoors, in a rural location. There was a big hillside that formed a natural amphitheater. I was a youngster spending the summer with my older brother in Minneapolis. We drove there from Minneapolis. At the time this event was a big deal.

Why is this important? My 20 year old son is now into all sorts of beer-hippie guitar god bands of the 60s and 70s. He is intently interested in which bands I saw live. For example, he was really impressed that I saw Blue Cheer play at the Fillmore, and that I bought their first album. (Go figure). I know several similar bands played at this festival, I just can't remember which ones. I was generally more of a wussy Incredible String Band type fan, myself.

Keep thinking!
Old 12-19-2003, 08:15 AM

Sounds like Alpine Valley.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:48 AM

CBCD, I haven't heard the words "Blue Cheer" in decades. I'm gonna drift around a little here wishing the music today was as great as it was back then...
Old 12-19-2003, 11:13 AM

Kalhoun - I find it a hoot that my 20 year old punk-rocker son likes Blue Cheer. He bought a copy of their album Vincebus Eruptum. Do you remember the embossed blue album cover? How cool it was in 1968?

When he found out I once owned that very same record, he developed a new respect for the musical tastes of his mother.

Last night the lad was wearing a Blue Cheer T-shirt. Apparently there is now some sort of Blue Cheer cult following.

Again, go figure!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:22 AM

I've got a 27-year old punk rocker who loves Pink Floyd's "Careful With That Axe, Eugene". Reassurance that I raised him right!

Unfortunately, all my albums went the way of the garbage dump. They were rained on while they were in storage .
Old 12-19-2003, 01:14 PM

To hijack my own thread -
My son's friends are very impressed I saw the Beatles in concert (Washington DC, August 15, 1966, last US tour)
My son's friends are also impressed my husband and I are friends with some of the ACTUAL people mentioned in Leggs McNeils history of NY punk Please Kill Me

Other than that, we are old people, as are all parents.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:14 PM

Well, I don't have kids. But ironically I can empathize with both you AND your son:

As a teenager, waaaay back in the 80s (!) I went through my own pot-smoking hippie phase, and was extremely impressed when I discovered that a neighbor of mine had been a regular visitor of the Fillmore West -- he saw Jefferson Airplane, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream to name a few bands. At the time, I couldn't understand the bemused smirk he always had when I badgered him with questions about those days.

Then a few years ago, I happened to mention to a younger co-worker that I'd seen Kiss - in their original full-makeup, flame-throwing days - when I was in grade school. I also saw (on seperate occasions) the Clash and the Talking Heads. When I saw the look of astonishment and envy on his face, I immediately flashed back to my neighbor and realized why he was so amused.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:53 AM

I think the festival you mean might have been in Iola WI, which is most certainly in the middle of nowhere. I don't remember much about it, but my older sister's friends went and came back happy.

Additionally, on the hijack side, when the Army Math Research Center was blown up I woke up thinking that the house had just exploded. Windows broke up and down our street, which was about two miles from the blast.

That morning the FBI went knocking at the door of a guy I went to high school with, after finding his dad's van's license plate amid the debris. Apparently Armstrong and the New Year's Gang had liberated the vehicle from the driveway, loaded it wup with the fertilizer, and the rest is history.

There will never be agreement on whether Armstrong and the others are murderers, or not. The town has been deeply divided ever since.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:31 PM

Re: Rock Festival in wisconsin - 70s?

Quote:
Originally posted by CBCD
After I astounded and amazed my twenty year old son with the shows I'd seen at the Fillmore East when I was just lass, I started telling him of other, stranger musical events.

Do you remember a 'rock festival' held in the middle of Wisonsin arounf 1970? The only bands I can remember playing there were The Amboy Dukes and Buffy Sainte-Marie. Who else played? My mind is kind of fuzzy on this one....
I don't know what show this would have been, but since several posters have questioned your memory of Buffy Sainte-Marie I wanted to say that in his book I Need More, Iggy Pop relates a story about playing an outdoor music festival in rural Wisconsin in the '70s with Buffy Sainte-Marie. I have no idea why Iggy Pop and Buffy Sainte-Marie were on the same bill...must have been a "something for everyone!" sort of festival. Wish I'd been there!
Old 12-25-2003, 08:42 AM

I know there was a concert/fest at Steven's Point in the summer of either '70 or '71. I can't remember exactly because it was, after all, the early 70's.
Old 12-25-2003, 09:18 PM

Rysdad - Steven's Point rings a bell. But it was so long, before the capture of all information on the internet, that these ancient histories were not recorded.

It's OK. My son made me listen to KISS this afternoon when we played Scrabble.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 AM

Rock Festival Wisconsin

In the summer of 1970 the festival was, I believe, originally scheduled to take place in the Stevens Point area, but was moved to an area outside of Iola. Buffy St. Marie was indeed there, but the show stopper was Iggy and the Stooges, complete with the first instance of stage diving that I had ever seen. Throughout the festival there was tension between biker groups and the rest of the people. It erupted into some violence. The story was covered in The Chicago Tribune, among other newspapers. Buffy met with a rather uncomfortable reaction from the crowd.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCD View Post
I was generally more of a wussy Incredible String Band type fan, myself.
Wussy. Wussy?!

By that, of course, you mean discriminating, imaginative and immune to derision.

I am not alone! I am not alone!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk1245 View Post
Karl Armstrong owns a sandwich shop on State St now, a lot of people are pissed that a murderer (even unintentionally) is now making a good living off his history (his shop is called The Radical Rye).
Continuing the hijack: Seriously? When I went to college there (early '90s) I was surprised at how many cops ate lunch at the Radical Rye. I'd think they would be averse to giving him the business.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New and Improved Superman View Post
Well, I don't have kids. But ironically I can empathize with both you AND your son:

As a teenager, waaaay back in the 80s (!) I went through my own pot-smoking hippie phase, and was extremely impressed when I discovered that a neighbor of mine had been a regular visitor of the Fillmore West -- he saw Jefferson Airplane, the Jimi Hendrix Experience and Cream to name a few bands. At the time, I couldn't understand the bemused smirk he always had when I badgered him with questions about those days.

Then a few years ago, I happened to mention to a younger co-worker that I'd seen Kiss - in their original full-makeup, flame-throwing days - when I was in grade school. I also saw (on seperate occasions) the Clash and the Talking Heads. When I saw the look of astonishment and envy on his face, I immediately flashed back to my neighbor and realized why he was so amused.
I long ago got over my jealousy of my uncle, who has backstage pictures of bands like the Rolling Stones and the Grateful Dead from back in the 60s (yes, he took those pictures) and live, onstage pictures of the Beatles, Cream, etc that he saw back then.

But I'll never stop being pissed off that he walked out on a Stevie Ray Vaughn show in the 80s. My uncle is a jazzy, rock, jam-band type guy who went to the show to see Jeff Beck, who opened. After SRV started, my uncle -- who was never much into the blues anyway -- wasn't feeling it and walked out.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, rabnmb... appropriate as we exhume memories of our rockier days (and weird to read what I assumed was a recent post and suddenly realize that I'd written it, over five years ago).

But I've got a related request -- my kids too want to know who I saw live "back in the day". Problem is, I went to Summerfest a couple of dozen times in the early 70s, and the second-hand smoke got in the way of forming long-term memories of each band. Does anyone know where I can find old lineups?

PS: Now I'm taking my kids with me, and getting written up. <http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=7930> Last summer, my friend Andy and I experienced "Bummerfest":

"Milwaukeeans will pay for beer the same way SUV owners will pay for gas. Whatever it takes. Brewskis are up to five bucks apiece at Summerfest now. They could be 50 bucks and it wouldn’t matter.
"The guy in front of us disappears every other song and returns with plastic bottles of Miller Lite that he shares with his drenched girlfriend. I don’t know what’s more discouraging: the fact that each round takes their focus further from the music, or the fact that they’ll pay that much for crappy beer."
Old 06-17-2009, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeeoaddi View Post
Wussy. Wussy?!

By that, of course, you mean discriminating, imaginative and immune to derision.

I am not alone! I am not alone!
Of course you're not, my dear.

With the new box-set reissue of the Woodstock movie, including not only the four-hour director's cut, but also two (in the Amazon version) batches of unreleased performances, I was disappointed that the ISB's set is still unrepresented on video. So what a joy to find that Youtube offers an incredible full-length When You Find Out Who You Are, plus The Letter, and a fragment of This Moment!
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35 PM

It was 1970 and the Stevens Point Festival. I was there. I filled my van with friends and left N. Il. We arrived at the gate to find another friend's car had broken brakes so I pushed him with my van and we both were directed to the " Vender's" area. Due to our camp location I really can't help much with the bands who performed but... I learned quickly to strain the gallion bottle of wine with my teeth! ( a mix of all the venders products were replenished for all 3 days). I did see the stage once but was intercepted and went back to the venders area. The violence started when the security guards (Bikers) raped a girl on Sat. Night. People had enough of the bikers abuse and attacked them in front of my van. They chopped up their bikes up with axes and then set them on fire! The Chicago Tribune article you spoke of shows my friend "Smily" chasing a biker up the hill throwing a large rock at him. There were other bikers hiding in cop cars at the top of the hill. It also shows my friends hiding under my van as a biker was shooting a pisto at the crowdl. I'm sure Stevens Point was one reasons festivals fell out of favor for a while. I'm gla to say its been 39 years and even though we live across the country we still keep in touch and see one another. ( Those that are still alive!) Sorry I can't be of more help on the bands that played, all I heard for three days was a Cream tape over and over. Good memories!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 PM

I was 16 years old in 1970 and hitchhiked to Milwaukee and took advantage of a friend's older brother's Marquette U. friends and stayed in their "commune" (Much love and many thanks to Kate H., Tom S., Brian H. & Terry P. for making Milwaukee my San Francisco and Iola my Woodstock). Anyway Iola was definitely the highlight of my life until that point, and I'll remember it fondly till the day I die, I'm sure. The musicians I remember, in order of appearance are Buffy Ste. Marie on opening night; Chuck Berry, Brownsville Station and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band on; Saturday and Saturday night; and Ravi Shankar on Sunday morning. I also remember being amazed at the number of stands selling psychadelics, though by the end of the weekend the drug which everyone seemed to want but hadn't brought enough of was tobacco! Luckily, the conflicts with the bikers were only rumors at our campsite at the top of the hill and everyone I met that weekend seemed to be right out of central casting for Melanie's "Beautiful People" (had ther been music videos in those faraway days).
Old 08-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

June 26,27,28, 1970. Perhaps 40-50,000 attended. $10 in advance, $14 at the gate. Problems were esentially no water, and few/poor bathroom facilities. Then the shootings.

Other than the groups others have mentioned, Buddy Rich.

Most of the bikers causing the trouble were from Chicago, not Milwaukee.

The "bikers raping a girl" was a rumor. The shootings happened Sun.

Evidently, the promoters were very late paying bills, so the sound system was woefully inadequate Friday, only slightly better Saturday. Depending on how close you were.

---from newspaper articles at the time.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:

My son's friends are also impressed my husband and I are friends with some of the ACTUAL people mentioned in Leggs McNeils history of NY punk Please Kill Me

Other than that, we are old people, as are all parents.
This has my interest. Care to name names?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, rabnmb... appropriate as we exhume memories of our rockier days (and weird to read what I assumed was a recent post and suddenly realize that I'd written it, over five years ago).

But I've got a related request -- my kids too want to know who I saw live "back in the day". Problem is, I went to Summerfest a couple of dozen times in the early 70s, and the second-hand smoke got in the way of forming long-term memories of each band. Does anyone know where I can find old lineups?
Hey, I quoted myself! Just a quick update: I was complaining that I couldn't find a Summerfest lineup from Back In The Day anywhere, and a friend said "Well, they don't want anyone to put the lists online, because it's all in The Book." "What book?" "The coffee table book!"

Which is now on my coffee table.

And I found out that my memories of Mountain, Poco and John Sebastian all on the same stage in the pouring rain were true. Or that afternoon when we actually saw The Doors, Quicksilver, BS&T and Dr. John. But, that opening band we missed one night was... The Jackson Five.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:35 AM

poynette

Greetings,
Stumbled upon your post. Maybe you are remembering Poynette in April of 1970.
I was there with the band of my *now* husband of 39 yrs. Yes, Buffy Saint Marie, The Grateful Dead, Ravi Shankar (who took a nap in the back of one of our equipment vans), others I cannot remember now. What a risky thing to schedule in Wisconsin in April! But it was warm enough and so dry that brush fires broke out a few times and people would rush to put them out before they got out of control. I remember getting a bowl of muelsi at a tent or stand occupied by the Hog Farm Family and I think Wavy Gravy was there with them.

Quote:

Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Iola Rock Fest

There was two festivals held in Wisconsin in 1970. The first in Poynette and the second in Iola. It is impossible to find any history on the Festivals I have gone to the archives of the local papers and have found nothing written. At 18 I hitch a ride to Iola and rolled out my sleeping bag in front of the band stand and rocked for three days. Some of the bands that I remembered that played included Amboy Dukes, James Gang, Siegal-Schwall Band, Iggy Pop, Buddy Rich, Buffy St Marie, and Ravi Shankar. The band that I enjoy the most was call the MC5. You can view them on U-tube Called Kick Out the Jams. I do remember a problem with a bike gang that caused trouble but the people drove them away and it turned out to be the second summer of love.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 PM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodean View Post
There was two festivals held in Wisconsin in 1970. The first in Poynette and the second in Iola. It is impossible to find any history on the Festivals I have gone to the archives of the local papers and have found nothing written....
Sure it is. Just see my post above.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 AM

I was there...I think...

Coming in rather late on this one...

It was in a field somewhere around Iola. I went with three or four girlfriends, riding up in a 48-49 Chevy sedan painted psychedically. For some reason, we did not get stopped by state troopers although we would have wound up in the hoosegow with our pot stuffed into sanitary napkins. We passed a van being searched--it was the band "Fuse". Ted Nugent with the Amboy Dukes and his black and white guitars, banging them together and telling the crowd they were F*ing. I also remember a girl screaming to be f*d and getting her wish over the saddle of a motor cycle. I remember Buffy St. Marie (boring). Also there were Brownsville Station, who were a lot of fun, some local bands named the Bowery Boys, Sound Street and U.S. Pure (this was when I was still more or less sober,s o I remember them). By the time the sun set, I was so tired I went back to our tent and slept most of the rest of the time! I remember something about the shootings but that was after we left on Sunday morning while Ravi Shankar was playing. The girl who drove home was under the influence of LSD. How am I alive today?

And that's my Iola story.

Last edited by KatieKintner; 08-15-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 PM

And MC5 started out that song by shouting "Kick Out the Jams, M**F**s!"
Old 08-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:

I was at the 1970 festival with my friends. I wish I could remember all the acts but it paled in comparison with Summerfest, that's for sure. There were about 10 of us, students at UW, heard that this was going to be the next Woodstock and everyone was going to be there, but that wasn't the case. It was hugely disappointing.

I remember Buffy, and the Amboy Dukes,along with Edgar and Johnny Winter, I think John Mayall and the Blues Breakers, J. Geils Band, maybe Leslie West and Mountain, (or maybe they never showed), but not sure. the James Gang, Siegel-Schwall from Madison, (whatever happened to them?), and drummer Buddy Rich. THAT was a trip!
I do remember how filthy we all were, the muddy conditions, lack of food and toilets, and the Hell's Angels coming up to us, rifles in hand, one of them asking us if we had seen any rabbits. We had smoked some grass, of course, so we were really freaked out by the sight of these guys because we knew about Altamont, so when they left we heaved a sigh of relief and were glad to leave early that next morning. It was a bummer, man!

Last edited by SAMCOOKEFAN1; 08-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:07 PM

Iola

Also coming in late after watching "Woodstock: Then and Now" on History and deciding to look for info on the Iola Rock Festival. I also was there --summer of 1970. I remember Buffy, the Amboy Dukes, Paul Butterfield, lots of Bikers, lots of "vendors", Sunday morning shots being fired and my friend Steve's Chevy being stolen because he left the keys in it. Good times.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 PM

Paul Butterfield Blues Band?

Wow, I remember my roommate and I loved them to death! I had forgotten all about them. In fact, maybe that's who I misremembered John Mayall as!
Wisconsin drew quite a few musical groups--still does. Wherever I go in LA--lived here 33 years now-- people talk about that campus as a special place.
I recall seeing Joan Baez at Ag Hall for $2.00--she said she refused to charge college students more money. I also saw Cheech and Chong when they were just starting out and had tickets to see Janis, but she OD'd days before, sadly. Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon),was an amazing concert, but quite a few folks were dipping into the ludes in the 70s and when the concert ended and the lights came on, they were still slumped in their seats!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM

rock Festival in wisconsin-70s?

I'm new here so bear with me. I do recall the festival although I did not go. I was in college at the time and remember hearing of it. I have a related question. Being a musician and having a pretty sizable collection of LP's. I have an LP that is allegedly a bootleg from the Iola rock festival of circa 1971. The title I believe is "The Real Future Blues" The cover if I recall correctly shows a sunset over a pond or a field or something like that. It is not the commercial release that Canned Heat had out around that time.
At some of the content definitely sounds like Canned Heat. Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge in regards to this LP?
After reading some of the comments about which performers were there I noted the name Brownsville Station. Ah, that sure brings back some memories.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Yes, I believe that was in wisc. it was called "Kick A Poo". Country Joe and the Fish performed and lots of no names at the time, like Jimi Hendrix, it was considered acid rock, and not so popular with the hippie crowd at the time. There were lots of good bands. It was raining most of the time and there was alot of mud. It was at a pig/hog farm , hence the name "kick a poo". Lots of kool-aide and people walking around in their underware.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:17 PM

Well, I went and dug out the album I was referring to. The cover is a bit different then I had remembered. It is photo of a sunset as I thought but in the foreground there is a sundial.
As I am listening to it someone making introductions mentions Henry Vestine after he states it is not Harvey Mandel, going on he mentions a new bass play named Tony Valparada.
There are no liner notes and no label on the LP. I have to assume it is Canned Head in live performance at Iola. If anyone has any info on this LP it would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMCOOKEFAN1 View Post
Wow, I remember my roommate and I loved them to death! I had forgotten all about them. In fact, maybe that's who I misremembered John Mayall as!
Wisconsin drew quite a few musical groups--still does. Wherever I go in LA--lived here 33 years now-- people talk about that campus as a special place.
I recall seeing Joan Baez at Ag Hall for $2.00--she said she refused to charge college students more money. I also saw Cheech and Chong when they were just starting out and had tickets to see Janis, but she OD'd days before, sadly. Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon),was an amazing concert, but quite a few folks were dipping into the ludes in the 70s and when the concert ended and the lights came on, they were still slumped in their seats!

Emm yes it did , Donovan, I had to go buy their 8mm reel to reel, to listen to the music, 8 tracks and cassette were not popluar yet. Mello, Yellow......also Bob Dylan, and Jo Cocker, great performers. Joan Baez was at all the concerts and festivals. Great real musicans
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM

Wisconson Rock Festival 1969 or early 1970

Must have been 1970. There was a grass fire started in the woods that was put out by hippies. I had been to Woodstock, Altamont, went to Minneapolis to start the New Riverside Cafe and went through Madison on my way to St Louis, Oklahoma, Placitas New Mexico where I lived on a commune briefly, sang with a rock band in Phoenix... The rest is history.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Rock Festival in wisconsin-70s?

After doing some hunting on the internet I discovered what the bootleg LP I was asking about is.
It is Canned Heat's bootleg performance from the Kickapoo Creek Festival that took place in Heyworth Illinois during Memorial weekend in 1970.
The festival apparently was filmed in part way back then and supposedly the person who is editing the old footage intends to release it in the near future. Further info can be found by searching Kickapoo Creek festival.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM

Ballerina7,

See my last post regarding Kickapoo Creek festival. Jimi Hendrix a "no name" in 1970? Apparently your memory is off a bit. Jimi Hendrix was huge in 1970. Hendrix actually broke the charts as early as 1967 and grew in popularity from that point onward. It was considered acid rock and that was not popular with hippies? Which hippies are you referring to? Hendrix was and in fact still is a legend not the least because of those hippies you were referring to. Remember it was Jimi Hendrix who was the last person to perform at Woodstock and from my recollections there were at least a few "hippies" that came to Woodstock.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:52 AM

About Kickapoo Creek, Iola and Poynette

"The Incident at Kickapoo Creek" featured Paul Butterfield, Delanie & Bonnie (Eric Clapton was not with them at this show), B.B. King, R.E.O. Speedwagon, Canned Heat, Ted Nugent w/ Amboy Dukes (one of the last actual Dukes shows), and others like Country Joe & the Fish (did he play?) and Genesis. Lots of rain, mud and bare...well, mud covered skin. The festival was outlawed, of course, but too big to stop, and the police stayed out and nabbed folks outside the grounds. There was a story they got the permit for the festival by labeling it a cow auction, or pig auction, and Sunday morning they actually brought up a cow or something ontage and auctioned it off, just to comply with the terms. Well, it was a good story, and I remember the auction wondering, "what the hell?" 24 hour music was killer, REO played at 3 AM. And mud, mud, mud, and salt tablets...

Two festivals in Wisconsin that year, Poynette and Iola, also listed as the Stevens Point Festival although closer to Amherst then Point. The Sound Storm at Poynette was awesome, a mini Woodstock for sure, lots of Wisconsin talent, lots of campfires (and the brush fire), lack of water for 75,000 until some big trucks showed up and everyone started passing any vessel in hand among the crowd. Took your chances on that drink, but it was water! Poynette music included lots of wonderful Grateful Dead w/ Jerry Garcia (they LOVED Wisconsin, especially Madtown). Go check out these pictures There are about 200 photos from that weekend on the Wisconsin Historical Society's site:

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/...d1=sound+storm

Iola was a blur, partly because of the heavy bikers with weapons and partly because of the disparity of acts, everything from Buddy Rich to Ravi Shankar to MC5 to Paul Butterfield to yoga/mantra demonstrations, etc. Didn't have a cohesive audience. About 40,000 and more terrain than the other festivals. It didn't have the wonderful vibe that Poynette did, that will always be a fond memory, but it was a historical festival, nonetheless.

Guess I got carried away, sorry, but I was at all three. (Were) Those (were) the days!?
Old 09-01-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusntuk2 View Post
"The Incident at Kickapoo Creek" featured Paul Butterfield, Delanie & Bonnie (Eric Clapton was not with them at this show), B.B. King, R.E.O. Speedwagon, Canned Heat, Ted Nugent w/ Amboy Dukes (one of the last actual Dukes shows), and others like Country Joe & the Fish (did he play?) and Genesis.
Presumably this was the obscure American band called Genesis, not the soon-to-be-famous British one.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:03 AM

Iola, Poynette and all that

I worked at both Sound Storm (April 1970) and Iola (June 1970), doing a variety of (realy) odd jobs (electrical wiring, stage security, running stage lights, silk-screening t-shirts) in exchange for getting in and hanging out. Poynette was more enjoyable than Iola, but the biker-hippie violence (we were convinced it really happened, but we were in the "compound" behind the stage) and other "factors" influenced my perceptions. Contrary to one comment, Poynette had much more substantial festival grounds the run of a 600-acre farm, versus what we were told was 25 or 50 acres at Iola.
Most of those commenting on the acts present at Iola were correct: Iggy and the Stooges, Nugent and the Dukes, Buffy, Ravi Shankar, Brownsville, Butterfield, Berry, etc. (I remembered Nugent doing the stage diving, but I was behind the stage for just about every act, and it may have been Iggy Pop.
My most vivid memory of Iola is the "head" of the "company" I worked for, TransAmerika, running through the compound swinging a machete and yelling, "The bikers are coming!" Poynette: Trying to keep the spotlights (those old-fashioned arc lights) running on Sunday, while the PA guy begged for donations to keep the rental generators on site and running. Oh, and the Bongos Incident but that's another story entirely ...
Is it really coming up on 40 years?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 PM

Rock Festival in Wisconsin - 70s

In 1970 I attended both the Mt York Festival and the one in Iola, as well as a festival in Wadena, Iowa on 1-2-3 August. Mt York was by far the best. I'll try to share some memories, but with nearly 40 years of livin' gone by, details are hazy.

I remember a long line of traffic into Mt York after dark on Friday. Some people loaned me a tent, and I camped with some friends about half way up the hill. Tayles played that evening.

A band called Oz played early Sunday afternoon. They were from Madison. I knew the bass player, and was invited to sit on a catwalk that ran along the front of the stage. Oz was a pretty good band, and they really were hot on it that day. After their last set, the crowd called for an encore. Their lead player remarked, "You'd rather hear us than the Grateful Dead??"

The Dead came out next, and I got to sit on the catwalk through their first few songs. Then everyone on the catwalk was told they had to leave. So I moved down to a spot by a truck in front of the stage. There was a naked dude on top of the truck dancing like crazy.

The Dead played until well after dark. I ran into some friends who were heading back to Madison, and I took them up on their offer to ride back with them. I remember walking through the woods in the dark, back to the parking lot, hearing the Dead playing in the distance. I think they were playing "Dark Star."

Iola was pretty much a biker scene. It was pretty wierd. During Ravi Shankar's set there were people making lots of noise. I have a picture in my mind's eye of a huge pile of trash in front of the stage. That about sums up the Iola festival.

Wadena was a mudhole at first. It had rained for several days before the event started. Some of the stage hands were worried that the whole stage was about to start sliding down the hillside it was built on. I wish I could remember more about what bands played there. I know the Everly Brothers played there because I got to meet them after their set. They seemed like pretty nice people, but they weren't very happy because the promoter had run out of money and couldn't pay them. The Flying Burrito Brothers also were there.

It would be interesting to read more from others who were at these festivals.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:36 PM
Graphite is a great
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemoSabeFLG View Post
In 1970 I attended both the Mt York Festival and the one in Iola, as well as a festival in Wadena, Iowa on 1-2-3 August. Mt York was by far the best. I'll try to share some memories, but with nearly 40 years of livin' gone by, details are hazy.

Wadena was a mudhole at first. It had rained for several days before the event started. Some of the stage hands were worried that the whole stage was about to start sliding down the hillside it was built on. I wish I could remember more about what bands played there. I know the Everly Brothers played there because I got to meet them after their set. They seemed like pretty nice people, but they weren't very happy because the promoter had run out of money and couldn't pay them. The Flying Burrito Brothers also were there.

It would be interesting to read more from others who were at these festivals.
I'm reading some newspapers from the time and, contracted to appear at the festival(at least, a few days before it occurred) were The Evely Bros, as you said, Tim Hardin, Buffy St. Marie, Guess Who, Mason Profit, Ian and Sylvia, the Youngbloods and Little Richard. Flying Burrito Bros(as you said), the Oz, Chambers Bros., Rotary Connection,

The festival was held on the Clarence Schmitt farm of 200 acres, which had been purchased just before the festival for $47,500.

It was announced, prior to the festival, that all bands had been paid in advance, so problems wouldn't arise(yeah, right )

Who showed and actually played, I couldn't find.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

This is fascinating. All these Dopers who were there.

I only vaguely recall hearing about the Wisconsin festivals. I lived in Madison but was still in High School.

But the Sterling Hall bombing? I remember that like it was yesterday. Of course I headed off to the Univ of Wisc Madison the next year so seeing the building every day imprinted the whole incident into my brain. And I did not know that Karl Armstrong ran that restaurant. I've clearly been in Milwaukee too long.